Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I started reading the book a few days before the season came out because a friend made me, and I'm really loving the book, so I think everyone definitely should watch it.

But man, I am not digging the show at ALL. The characters feel like weird second rate parodies of the book characters, and the whole tone of the show feels off compared to the book. I originally wanted to watch the show first and then go and read the book, figuring they'd just leave out a ton of stuff like they always do and I could dive deeper into the world, but now I really wish I'd done it that way, because I don't think I can actually finish a whole season of this.

Book Kovacs / show Kovacs:

In the book Kovacs is strong willed and opinionated, not afraid of giving it straight to anyone. In the TV show he's some kind of loving Saturady Night Live level parody of a hard boiled mercenary. "Some people just need killing" type poo poo.

One early massive tone difference stuck out to me. In the Raven/Hendrix lobby scene, in the book version Kovacs just ducks down and covers his ears when the autocannons start firing. In the TV show they do some kind of retarded slow motion Matrix kung-fu action scene where he's spin kicking dudes left and right while quipping at them.

Someone put it pretty well when they said this was 90s Sci-Fi TV level poo poo but with higher production values.

E:

That being said, the TV show did have some neat moments as well. I thought the broadcasts were portrayed pretty well and I loved the little girl who had been killed in a car accident and resleeved in the haggard body of some old lady. That's like when they gave Harry Dresden a hockey stick for a staff in the TV show, a cool little addition that fits the world real well.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Feb 4, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Terra-da-loo! posted:

One of my biggest criticisms with the series is that I don't care for what's being more or less presented as "Envoy superpowers," and unless I misunderstood something I read, it sounds like the it's even more over the top in text (?).

It definitely isn't. In fact, everything is way over the top in the TV show and far more muted and nuanced in the book.

You should totally check out the book, IMO it's quite well written, does a lot of wonderful world building and is full of really exciting and innovative ideas on what the whole "your body is consumable" idea would mean. I'm really glad my friend practically made me read it.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Feb 5, 2018

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Tiggum posted:

Because you are the stack. It replaces the brain and is the only part of you that is actually you. The body is just like clothes.

Not really. You're the code in the stack. That's why you can be backed up from your stack into a massive cloud, even remotely and automatically if you're filthy rich. That way if the stack gets destroyed, you can be restored from a backup, but of course you lose any memories and experiences you gained between the time of the backup and when the "original" you died. The code can even be written to multiple stacks at once if you have the means, although that is considered illegal as hell.

But Kazy raises a very interesting point. When all that is You can be distilled down to digital data and transferred from container to container, stored in digital clouds when needed and beamed across vast distances, what does "being You" even mean?

When your entire being can be reduced to digital data, any modern notions of intangible souls and whatnot fly right out the window: we know exactly what you are, and with CTRL-X/CTRL-V we can transfer all of it from one folder to another. You're just essentially bits, and when these bits get copied (or even just outright transferred) off one storage media to the other, does the ethereal Youness transfer with them, or do you, as Kazy says, "die" and just get copied as a new set of identical bits in another container. You're still identical to the original down to the last bit, but you're still unquestionably a copy.

Note that this is a philosophical question, and there probably isn't a correct answer for it. But it's a fun thought exercise.

Gyges posted:

However a lot of the complaints are less about how things don't work in the universe of the show, rather how the adaptation changes conflict with the books.

Sure sure, but that's because many of the changes (in fact I'd say most of them) are real bad compared to the originals, and like Neddy Seagoon says, introduce unnecessary plot holes and conflicts into the story. If the changes were good and actually improved the story, I don't think many of us would be complaining.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Feb 11, 2018

• Locked thread