Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.

Boris Galerkin posted:

What is needle cast? I think Iím on ep 4 and theyíve said those words a few times but I donít get it

e: And meth? I get that it means ďrich guyĒ but whatís it short for?

Needlecast is an interstellar data transfer, they basically transmit the stack at the speed of light into a new body or data storage facility - itís how people move from world to world.

Some very mild book stuff: (not even really a spoiler, but just in case)
The idea behind the envoys (in the books) is they are an intelligence / military force which can be beamed to any planet in the interstellar protectorate and rapidly acclimate and become effective in new bodies, including quickly internalising the culture, language, norms etc to break rebellions or whatever. They kind of reversed it for the show by making the envoys the rebelling force, though, they are a still active wing of the Protectorate in the books and the main means by which a central government can exercise power on an interstellar level given the time involved in physically sending soldiers or whatever to another solar system. Kovacs ditched the envoys in the books (along with others) then subsequently got involved with some of the more revolutionary stuff, but he was never a true believer like in the show. In the books itís implied the envoy training make that kind of loyalty difficult, and Kovacs is a bit of a loose cannon from when he was young. At the start of the books he is an ex-envoy basically out for himself as a criminal. His former envoy status plays a larger role in later books.

Meth = Methuselah - they do briefly mention this in the first episode. Their age.

Blamestorm fucked around with this message at Feb 3, 2018 around 11:45

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.

Der Shovel posted:

It definitely isn't. In fact, everything is way over the top in the TV show and far more muted and nuanced in the book.

You should totally check out the book, IMO it's quite well written, does a lot of wonderful world building and is full of really exciting and innovative ideas on what the whole "your body is consumable" idea would mean. I'm really glad my friend practically made me read it.

It was even more innovative when it came out, it won a lot of awards and was hugely influential. I think even some of the elements that people are less comfortable with were very much deliberate choices, it is a very thoughtful and critical work.