Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
This might be off topic but that NYT UFO article a while back made me think.

My pet theory is UFOs are some kind of AI.

They say the main thing separating us from primates is the spoken word. Maybe the thing separating us from space faring is not solving the faster than light issue but uploading our consciousness?

Like if you assume these UFOs are not piloted by biological entities it begins to make more sense.

Anyways random aside but found myself thinking on it as I watched. It would be kind of cool to put my brain in a spaceship and go explore the galaxy even if it’s lonely better than life on earth :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Rhyno posted:

What if you doubled sleeved into an opposite sex body and had sex with yourself.

Why make it the opposite sex? :gay:

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Hammerstein posted:

I belive it makes quite a difference to the person who just died. If you look back maaaany pages, before this became such a mess, you will see that the problem I have with this concept is, that I was wondering why people would accept a backup as a solution.

Let's say you have 2 perfect clones with exactly the same memories. One clone is told: "Don't worry, there's a second version of you, so you will live on" and is then shot. Will it make the dead clone feel any better about having his current existence ended ?

And it's the same thing with sleeves and backups. Why would (random name) David#1 think of himself as immortal, when David#2 gets activated upon his death ? David#1 is still dead in that scenario.

This has been addressed in other media. Rick and Morty took this to the logical extreme with a society of Ricks. They do all care about themselves, act independently, and some even subjugate the others.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Zaphod42 posted:

What separates a human from a usb drive, assuming no souls?

According to your perspective life doesn't exist and we're just as non-living as USB drives.

Data isn't life. My SSD isn't alive.

this is why star trek guy on black mirror did nothing wrong

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Zaphod42 posted:

You can have life without a biological body though. People in a simulation are still alive. People as altered carbon however are dead. Once you spin them up, you definitely did something wrong. That's the whole point of SOMA.

No because it’s a simulation. Human rights are for humans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
So how do these clones stay alive in the vats? Don't they need to eat? I don't get how they can be in a soup/on a feeding tube then emerge all sexy and buff

• Locked thread