Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Kegslayer posted:

It's still funny watch people demand that Kovacs has to be white though.

Literally nobody did this, they just said that complaining about "whitewashing" a character who is explicitly and repeatedly described as a white man is loving dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Not really a spoiler but stacks being Martian technology really fucks with a plot point from a later book, although now that I type this they hosed with that book in a more significant way already.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Even the name Quellcrist was selected to emphasize her pro eternal sleeving ideal, its so goddamn bizarre for them to not only change it that way, butbtondo such a half-assed job of it.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Zaphod42 posted:

"Quellcrist Falconer" is still the worst name I've ever heard in fiction

"Quellist" as a title sounds pretty sane by comparison

It's a pseudonym, and when explained I found it pretty appropriate. Of course, the changes to the character make the name completely inappropriate in context though.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

honestly this really isn't that different from the Star Trek transporter problem, and I remember Star Trek's canonical answer to that being kind of really loving disturbing

In Trek doesn't the physical process of scanning for transport destroy the original? Or am I thinking of something else? I remember reading that due to Heisenberg's uncertainty principle it's necessary to cease all living function to accurately map body/mind.

Although now that I mention that if I was reading about it it probably wasn't Trek.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Kovacs was in storage forever and ever for being a big bad Envoy terrorist (instead of just Erasing him because...?:shrug:) and Rei needed Bancroft's pull with the Protectorate President to get him out.

Still doesn't really make sense if Rei is a 200 year old Meth with a flying high tech whorehouse that caters to the ultra rich. Even if her own money and influence weren't sufficient for the President, she could have used the money and power had Bancroft or someone like him help her out any time.

pile of brown fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Feb 12, 2018

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
I think part of the reason everyone who read the books is so bothered by this is that just adapting the books to the screen without making weird changes would have been an awesome sci-fi action TV show, and the following books basically double down on sci fi action as it time jumps another hundred years and Kovacs goes from moonlighting as a noir detective to realizing his full potential as a balls out mercenary hired to fight a war but also secretly plotting his own big score.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
No, Poe was adapted from a book character that they couldn't use for licensing reasons.

If you'd said abuela, you'd have pinged on literally the only good thing the show writers thought up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
If you want to enjoy the books, forget the show

• Locked thread