Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

There are people religiously opposed to being re-sleeved. It seems like people for the most part can't afford to be re-sleeved even if they wanted to. Do they explain why (or is it in the books) why having a cortical stack is mandatory to be put in at the age of one?

Wouldn't it be a waste of time and money and effort to put something in everyone that so few will even be able to make use of that aren't living in the clouds 1%'ers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

I'm only through episode 4 but I'm liking it so far. Shows like this always make me want there to be a Shadowrun universe based show.

I don't mind the exposition here since I find it really interesting. I wonder though if everyone just gets re-sleeved what does that do to the job market? How do you get any kind of skilled job when theres a guy whos been doing it for 2 or 3 sleeve changes vs a natural born person with no experience? Are most people forced into going off world to one of the other habitable planets? Is that one of the reasons why cortical stacks came to being, so that they could reduce the number of 'deaths', creating a large population to inhabit the universe?

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Why would you need indentured servants when you have AI and robots are a thing?

Didn't everyone give Kovacs crap about going to an AI hotel? I thought AI were disliked for some reason, and the people Poe meets to play cards were influential but stayed in the shadows

Besides being rich enough to own a person and all they require to live day to day might seem decadent for those who can afford to do it.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

"when the corporate wars turned nasty"

Dark Matter universe tie-in opportunity!

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

pile of brown posted:

In Trek doesn't the physical process of scanning for transport destroy the original? Or am I thinking of something else? I remember reading that due to Heisenberg's uncertainty principle it's necessary to cease all living function to accurately map body/mind.

Although now that I mention that if I was reading about it it probably wasn't Trek.

Thats Trek... and nerds still debate it since there are stories that contradict each other in the same series and other trek series.

Hammerstein posted:

Isn't there a Star Trek episode where a technician with transporter-phobia actually experiences the transport as an uninterrupted stream of consciousness ? Not sure if that's canon though.

Reginald Barclay. Hes run through the transporter filters for a longer time to remove stuff that attached to his body.

• Locked thread