Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FuriousGeorge
Jan 23, 2006

Ah, the simple joys of a monkey knife-fight.
Grimey Drawer

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Agreed. I fully accept it's probably a budgeting thing, but Harlan's World should look more like Thailand.

And have orbital alien laser turrets occasionally lighting up the sky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuriousGeorge
Jan 23, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Amish Ninja posted:

Did Quell invent stacks in the books, too? Or was that just something they added into the show to explain how she'd know to sabotage the source code for them?

No, nor was she anti-resleeving at all.

FuriousGeorge
Jan 23, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Amish Ninja posted:

Huh. I thought she wasn't anti-resleeving so much as anti-immortality though. Her main impetus for inventing stacks was apparently to be an explorer, which requires sleeving. Plus, she trains envoys to be more comfortable with sleeving.

True, poor choice of words on my part. But book Quell is neither anti-resleeving nor anti-immortality, on the contrary it means the Revolution Can Never Die, as Ugly In The Morning said. She's more concerned about systems of power than transhumanism. Also, IIRC her revolution was largely constrained to the context of Harlan's World, which has it's oligarchs but is perhaps young enough where the concept of "Meth" hadn't really taken root yet. Kovacs first learns of the term on Earth.

FuriousGeorge
Jan 23, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Fututor Magnus posted:

so earth is the only place with 300+ year old elite with an incredible amount of power? is it because the colonized worlds aren't old enough for their elites to approach the same age as earth meths?

Possibly, there's a passage in the book where Kovacs is suddenly struck by how ancient everything feels in the Bancroft residence and it sort of unnerves him. There's a lot of remarks about how old and rundown Earth feels.

FuriousGeorge
Jan 23, 2006

Grimey Drawer

etalian posted:

Plus would be challenging since the rest of the books have a big tone shift to being military syfy.

I'd say that only holds true for Broken Angels. Woken Furies is much more a Shadowrun-esque tale, the deComs being pretty much RPG parties.

• Locked thread