Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Gawain The Blind posted:

Just finished the series. I had never heard of it other than the trailer, I might read the books now.

I think this was probably my favorite of the netflix original shows so far.

How well did you follow it? Any time I watch an adaptation of a book I've read I always feel like someone who hasn’t wouldn’t know what the hell is going on, but of course I'm coming to it with way more context.

I've only watched the first ep so far and it's gorgeous and seems to be a bang-on recreation of the first couple of chapters, even starting the series in the same place as the books. It's been a few years since I read it though so: was Ortega in the book and also the hotel, it had a different theme didn't it? Answer in spoilers please

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Oooh wee Time magizines review

quote:

Rather than explore the ethical implications of this technology, Altered Carbon focuses on a mystery. Someone has attempted to murder a wealthy man, Laurens Bancroft, by both destroying his sleeve and hacking the cloud system that backs up his consciousness. Bancroft wakes up the mind of an old soldier named Takeshi Kovacs to solve the crime, gifting him a new sleeve.

For viewers, the mystery may instead be why Takeshi’s sleeve takes the form of Swedish actor Joel Kinnaman (House of Cards) playing an Asian man living in a white guy’s body. That’s how it’s written in the book, but onscreen it’s especially problematic. The creators would have done well to instead cast an Asian actor as the reborn Takeshi, avoiding the same whitewashing controversy that plagued last year’s Ghost in the Shell. In that adaptation, Scarlett Johansson played an Asian woman’s consciousness inside a white android.

I'm not sure she actually watched the show.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The most laughable thing imo is saying they don't explore the ethical implications of stacks/re-sleeving/immortality, and is why I don't think she watched it.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Netflix tends to renew, I'd be real surprised if that didn't happen here.

• Locked thread