Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

LloydDobler posted:

One smelly hell of a honeymoon. If your marriage can survive that it can survive anything.

ROAD TRIP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I suggested it. She seemed to be intrigued but then said "Wait, is Dave still going be there???"

So that plan was foiled.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Due to the results of GIP's sheep game from a month ago, I was accused of being a Russian Spy. My punishment? To LP a weird rear end dating simulator game on steam. Join me, comrades, as I descend into hell.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3850457

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
SUCK

ON

MAH

*splat*

Terrible Robot posted:

Due to the results of GIP's sheep game from a month ago, I was accused of being a Russian Spy. My punishment? To LP a weird rear end dating simulator game on steam. Join me, comrades, as I descend into hell.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So i only this week really made it public that I was unemployed. A friend just messaged me, she works here

http://www.fwmetals.com/products/

Her shift supervisor wants me to come in for an interview the minute we get back. Starting pay is $19 an hour, full benefits at 45 days (DENTAL) and she gets overtime pretty much whenever she wants. I wanted a gig that would keep me on my feet so as to not lose the progress I've made physically.

LoL, I may have gotten a job without even trying.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Maybe California is just loving with me, but I saw an add for an entry level groundskeeper that paid more than $19/hr. With the county, so it comes with sweet benefits.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

nm posted:

Maybe California is just loving with me, but I saw an add for an entry level groundskeeper that paid more than $19/hr. With the county, so it comes with sweet benefits.

I think in n out pays like $14/hr starting, so it makes sense that anything that's not literally flipping burgers would be more than that

Kazinsal posted:

Hnnnngh. I would love one of those or a Sony GDM-FW900. 2304x1440 24" Trinitron :swoon:

I have three of these in storage. Well, they're the non-flat Sun versions of the same (so the GDM-W900 equivalent). I wish I had space for them, they're awesome.

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

So remember that PC my stepdad bought?

He... went back to the seller. For a video card that would do 3+ monitors. Seller sold him what I thought would play nice with the onboard video - a Radeon-based card (9550 to be exact, a little overkill, but a decent card). Talked him into a new PSU as well. Out the door was $160; I'm not sure what brand the card is (no markings on it except for ATi Radeon - does ATi sell their own cards?)

When was the last time they called themselves "ATi" instead of AMD? The last Radeon 9550 I remember was an AGP card. They must have re-used the name if you've got something with that branding and also HDMI.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

What is it with cheap apartments and that vinyl+carpet combo? Exact same carpet is in my place and several friends places, the vinyl is a darker shade of the same cr... stuff. I'm definitely not getting my deposit back, the carpet is down to the backing in a couple of spots, and the vinyl ripped when I pulled the fridge out. :argh:

Nice console setup.

BigPaddy posted:

I have an original chromecast from what 2012? Which works perfectly apart from the whole Google and Amazon slapfight. It has been replaced by a smart TV that is now stalking me of course.

The only issue I have with my og Chromecast is it falls over with some codecs when I'm using Plex. Well that and I'm in an apartment building, so there's hundreds of 2.4 GHz APs around me... the Chromecast and my Kindle are the only (working) wifi devices I own that don't have 5 GHz support. :argh:

The only thing I really ever cast to the Roku is Youtube (it'll show up as a Chromecast device if you have the Youtube app open), it's basically going bye once I get another Roku.

Raluek posted:

I think in n out pays like $14/hr starting, so it makes sense that anything that's not literally flipping burgers would be more than that

When was the last time they called themselves "ATi" instead of AMD? The last Radeon 9550 I remember was an AGP card. They must have re-used the name if you've got something with that branding and also HDMI.

In n Out pays $11/hr or $12/hr, starting, here.

I have no idea when they dropped the ATi branding, it's been a really long time since I even looked at anything AMD or ATi - I jumped ship to nVidia and Intel a long time ago. I did notice it had "(c) American Micro Devices" printed on the solder side of the board. I figured it was a reference design board, but didn't see any other brand name printed on that side. Didn't feel like pulling it out of the PC, and there was no room to flip the PC on its side. I ran HWiNFO64 and it wasn't able to pull a manufacturer out of it, but it takes up 2 slots and apparently only has 1GB on it.

This is very much a PCI-x card with 5 outputs, and apparently I'm very wrong on the chipset. :doh: I just looked through my search history, it's a Radeon HD of some sort with 5 outputs (2 DVI, 1 HDMI, 1 mini HDMI, 1 displayport, I think - may have been 2 displayports). Definitely PCI-xE, and it's a current model that runs ~$150 from what I remember. No idea if you can actually use all 5 outputs at once, but Windows was showing 5 video outputs in the display properties at one point.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Feb 28, 2018

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Definitely PCI-x

PCI-E, I'd hope! PCI-X is 64-bit PCI, found in/on servers and RAID cards from 15 years ago.

:spergin:

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Why would I ever want a key that doesn't turn the car on or open the doors, paired to a lock that won't accept the key that opens doors and starts the car? Am I supposed to not trust myself to not break into my own trunk?

E: Why yes, I did lose my trunk key

The Door Frame fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Feb 28, 2018

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Raluek posted:

PCI-E, I'd hope! PCI-X is 64-bit PCI, found in/on servers and RAID cards from 15 years ago.

:spergin:

:frogout:

(fixed)

The Door Frame posted:

Why would I ever want a key that doesn't turn the car on or open the doors, paired to a lock that won't accept the key that opens doors and starts the car? Am I supposed to not trust myself to not break into my own trunk?

Serious question, are there still any cars being sold that have a separate key for the trunk? I know GM held on to separate keys for door+trunk and ignition for a long loving time. Ford did too, but not as long as GM, IIRC?

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Serious question, are there still any cars being sold that have a separate key for the trunk? I know GM held on to separate keys for door+trunk and ignition for a long loving time. Ford did too, but not as long as GM, IIRC?

The last car I owned with a setup like this was a 1990 Chevrolet Beretta. By the advent of the 2002 Pontiac G5 I had it was all one single key.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I know mom's 94 Cadillac had the 2 key setup, while her 99 Olds had 1 key. Pretty sure it was the same key blank my 06 Saturd uses, now that I think about it.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

My 01 silverado has a locking console with a separate little key.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

Terrible Robot posted:

That's one hell of a nightmare, you barely started and you don't wake up for 9 hours! :v:

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

Rhyno posted:

So i only this week really made it public that I was unemployed. A friend just messaged me, she works here

Her shift supervisor wants me to come in for an interview the minute we get back. Starting pay is $19 an hour, full benefits at 45 days (DENTAL) and she gets overtime pretty much whenever she wants. I wanted a gig that would keep me on my feet so as to not lose the progress I've made physically.

That sounds good for the area. I have worked as a contractor in a few cold rolling mills and its not bad work.

I know California may pay more but the cost of living is so much less here. The highest starting hourly wage I have found is $20.61/hr at a union paper mill. With o/t thats enough income for a house with a garage around here.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Rhyno posted:

Good poo poo man. Jobs like that can be great places to plant yourself for a career - work hard, work smart, and move up the chain if so inclined.

ps - grats on the wedding

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

rdb posted:

That sounds good for the area. I have worked as a contractor in a few cold rolling mills and its not bad work.

I know California may pay more but the cost of living is so much less here. The highest starting hourly wage I have found is $20.61/hr at a union paper mill. With o/t thats enough income for a house with a garage around here.

California pays more but the benefits REALLY do not work in your favor.

Where I live, on $15/hr full time work you can legitimately afford an apartment and a car, and still be able to eat and go out or save. In 90% of CA 15/hr puts you in poverty.

When I did a cost of living calculator, my base pay and BAH in CA worked out to around 85k/yr. The equivalent pay where I am in FL would be mid 30s for the same standard of living.

I make less than I did in the navy, but more than mid 30s, and this is like the most comfortable we've been in years.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

What is it with cheap apartments and that vinyl+carpet combo? Exact same carpet is in my place and several friends places, the vinyl is a darker shade of the same cr... stuff. I'm definitely not getting my deposit back, the carpet is down to the backing in a couple of spots, and the vinyl ripped when I pulled the fridge out. :argh:

Speaking as a slumlord someone who has that combo in a few rental properties, it's cheap and fast to replace. I've always got several rolls of each on stand by. It's not even 'contractor grade'.

Cellular Suicide
Dec 9, 2005

Classical 33's at 45RPM
Welp, I’m moving to California. I’ll give notice on Friday and start exactly a month later, hoping that two weeks off with a relocation service is enough to get slightly settled.

Nerves and excitement and nerves and excitement. I love swinging between “gently caress yeah” and “what am I thinking” every 15 seconds.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

That is totally normal. When I moved from the UK to Boston I was making GBS threads bricks for about 2 weeks before and a month after.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Cellular Suicide posted:

Welp, I’m moving to California. I’ll give notice on Friday and start exactly a month later, hoping that two weeks off with a relocation service is enough to get slightly settled.

Nerves and excitement and nerves and excitement. I love swinging between “gently caress yeah” and “what am I thinking” every 15 seconds.

Good luck duder. Give it a shot, you can always come back.

I had a buddy that left MI for CA, came back because he was poor in CA, then went back to CA again when he got compensated properly.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
Yes, mr driver in your volvo in the snow, pressing that pedal hard is making a lot of noise and your tyres are spinning round but you aren't going up that hill, are you? Even with the pedal down and significant smoke from the exhaust, physics is still a stone cold fucker and doesn't care.

I should have recorded the audio/visual experience of a volvo being murdered. But I just watched. When he gave up, slid back and turned away it sounded very, very clattery. Saw two other cars lose the back end around corners and end up on the wrong side of the road, really glad I left the car at home.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

The Door Frame posted:

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

I don't know when it stopped, but my Cutlass ('70) is slightly different: It uses the square key for the ignition and doors, and the round key for trunk and glovebox. So at least you can get into the car and start it if you lose the round key, I guess. I also installed a power trunk release so I didn't ever have to use the round key - unless of course I lock the glove box, where the power trunk button is located.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Any Indianapolis goons? Gonna be there for a few days in early May for work.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Is this another case of Texas rent laws being weird? Pretty sure where I'm at flooring stuff is almost always considered standard wear and tear and doesn't come out of the deposit.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Are valet keys still a thing? Where they're almost the same cut as the main key but they don't open the trunk/gloveboox, just doors/ignition?

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

Kinda surprised no one's made a March thread yet btw.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
It's probably the cheapest near-shag carpet they can find (for sound deadening), and the exact same vinyl flooring is chosen by a lot of the cheapass hospitals and even cheaper-rear end SNFs around here, so it must wear well for a low cost.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

DesperateDan posted:

Yes, mr driver in your volvo in the snow, pressing that pedal hard is making a lot of noise and your tyres are spinning round but you aren't going up that hill, are you? Even with the pedal down and significant smoke from the exhaust, physics is still a stone cold fucker and doesn't care.

I should have recorded the audio/visual experience of a volvo being murdered. But I just watched. When he gave up, slid back and turned away it sounded very, very clattery. Saw two other cars lose the back end around corners and end up on the wrong side of the road, really glad I left the car at home.

My neighbour threw a rod from his late-model Malibu a few weeks ago trying to get up the hill*. Then he tried jump-starting it from his truck before realizing the reason it stalled might have something to do with the glittery oil pouring down the icy slope behind him.

* Flooring it from cold for over ten minutes straight.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
I know valet keys are a thing, my 05 civic had one, but did it actually take until transponders in the 90's to force "master keys"?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

iwentdoodie posted:

Any Indianapolis goons? Gonna be there for a few days in early May for work.

Poor bastard. Will you be driving at all?

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....
There.. I "beat" the paperclip game. Jesus. back to work.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Enourmo posted:

Are valet keys still a thing? Where they're almost the same cut as the main key but they don't open the trunk/gloveboox, just doors/ignition?

I have one for my Challenger to limit the power to only 300bhp. Hellcats have one that sets the power to about 500bhp from the claimed 707.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

BigPaddy posted:

I have one for my Challenger to limit the power to only 300bhp. Hellcats have one that sets the power to about 500bhp from the claimed 707.

I feel that 'only' 300bhp is still a tadge on the high side for a valet.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

spog posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_S7AyiVfNdA

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Beverly Cleavage posted:

There.. I "beat" the paperclip game. Jesus. back to work.
I beat it when I noticed that combat was now a stat I could up. Then cranked it up and let it run over the weekend. Had bajillions of dead probes, but the drifters were all dead and I had turned the whole universe into paperclips.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

spog posted:

I think ~500bhp is the combined power of every car I've ever owned

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

The Door Frame posted:

1002hp, plus the motorcycles. 192, 435, 375.

I think the truck is 375, anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

The Door Frame posted:

~430hp for me (3 cars, 2 motorcycles).

• Locked thread