Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

IOwnCalculus posted:

That's a bold move, Cotton. Let's see if it pays off.

This quote will never not make me laugh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Putting meat in a slow cooker is a great pastime of American history and all but I declare that the pellet smoker is the crock pot of BBQ and is superior. I will be smoking ribs this weekend because it is the superbowl. I don't care about sports and will not even watch it but you can be certain I will be eating BBQ.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Pellet smokers are cheating.

e: technically, wrapping it in foil and putting it in the oven is "cheating" but you know what I mean.

Yes but Smokey Yunnick also was technically "cheating" but we all worship at his feet so :shrug: The name "smokey" and the conversation of BBQ purely coincidental

Adiabatic posted:

Ok I need to look into this thing.

Here let me help you: https://www.costco.com/traeger-schedule.html Go buy one of these at Costco when they are on sale. I just got the little one that was $350. In a year and a half I have burned more than 300 pounds worth of pellets through it and have literally fed hundreds of families and friends between family gatherings and neighborhood gatherings.

Larrymer posted:

Pellet ones are expensive, but sound very good as long as you keep the pellets loaded.

If I could do it again, I'd just get a 40" MES and the amazen pellet tube thing. It's pretty much cheating as well.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LK2SAYA/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I3BNVKCA14XMFR&colid=MQI0YX933T5T&psc=1

I would do the Traeger all over again. I've used it enough that I know what kind of timing I need to plan for with given kinds of meats and pellets that I am using. Even with my little grill a full hopper of hickory pellets can go between 5-6 hours without needing a top up. Apple wood goes a little quicker but it is easy at this point. The results are bang on every single time.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

man have I been eyefucking photos of a M&P Shield 9mm.

I don't know what it is about tinyguns but they are so cute and I love them :3:

I have had my CFP for a while but I’ve never carried. I need a smaller gun. The shield is awesome. My dad tested a bunch and ended up with a Walther. He was the best shot and most consistent with it. I’ll get one eventually when I stop buying other toys.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

BraveUlysses posted:

Made it in and out of Costco in under 20 min today, wasn't that bad imo.

Ribs going on the smoker soon!

I too smoked ribs today for the super bowl. The ribs were delicious. No idea about the game though because I don’t care about football. As someone said before not nearly enough cars in the game to care.
The Bathurst race had the most exciting finish out of all the sports this weekend.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

BraveUlysses posted:

i bought spares on accident, turned out fine but i think i prefer baby backs just a bit more.

turned the riblets into pork stock while the ribs were cooking

I did not count how many I ate. I stopped eating when I could no longer feel my feelings.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Ferremit posted:

Hrrrrmmm.... So since my graphics card upgrade fell through, ive decided to hold off until the next generation of stuff trots out from Nvidia... and since im doing a massive trip through Central Aus in July... Im kinda toying with buying a photography drone...

Just trying to decide whether the DJI Mavic Air is worth the $600 premium over the DJI Spark or not... Imma gonna be one of those people who annoy the poo poo out of everyone around me with a drone!

I was going to reply to this when I posted earlier. I too am really hung up on the Mavic Air. It looks amazing and kind of fits the bill and reasons for why I don't fly my Inspire 1 that often. It is really what I want in a multirotor and extremely reasonably priced. I will say that it is definitely worth the premium over the Spark. Knowing firsthand how quickly DJI moves it does leave me wondering if I should hold on for the next generation model. I really want one though and my Birthday is this week...

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

gimpsuitjones posted:

The DJI Mavic Air looks insanely good and I want one instead of my Spark even though it's 25% heavier

more weight won't let it get thrown around in wind as much plus once you watch 3 axis stabilized going back to 2 axis is painful. My P2+H32D has sat for like four years since getting my I1. I don't even know what the scrap rate would be to sell it.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Congrats Elno on your spaysex launch. Sending a Tesla into space is actually pretty rad.

Piling on the YouTube channels worth watching Petrolicious is beautifully shot over and over as well as Gears and Gasoline. kpopRC is one of the better RC YouTube channels out there. He has some pretty unique projects and is well edited.

I avoid DeMuro. I have no idea what the draw is to that guy. A few of his videos are alright enough but mostly they are grating and I cannot finish them.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Ferremit posted:

is it worth the extra $500 for that convenience?

Yes. The reason I don’t use my I1 much at all is 100% because of space needed and setup time.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Houses are expensive man and we bought ours brand new construction. In the nearing five years we have been there we have:
  • Landscaped our backyard with grass, sprinklers, a little curbing and a natural gas fire pit (10K sqft lot, front yard and house take up 2/3 of that) to the tune of about $12K USD
  • Finished our basement (a tick over 2K sqft) at about $26 per sqft. Which is cheaper than the going rate by a good margin.
  • planted plants/trees where most have lived, but many have died. It still looks barren and needs about double the amount of plants. $2500
  • Just this month I am having a vinyl fence installed for two of the three sides of my house (one side was done before our house was built). ~200 linear feet, a couple of gates for $7K

That is my house story thanks for listening.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Fermented Tinal posted:

And now you get to live there for decades.
That is the plan! If I can maintain good stuff here at work my goal is to have it paid off by the time I am 40 (seven years from this weekend). It certainly has the space/niceties for being a forever home.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Got the same quote of 7k and did it myself for half that. Wasn't bad either, just time consuming is all but overall a relatively easy job. Also I was able to do it exactly the way I wanted it done as I was doing it, I hate paying somebody else to do something and having them gently caress it up, and after seeing a friend's fence get hosed up by the installer it convinced me to DIY it.

That sounds cool and I would be inclined to give it a go, but we have a metric buttload of rocks and I frankly don't want to deal with it. So instead I will work hard at work so someone else can work hard on my house.

that bread looks tasty. I have not had proper bread in months with the whole Celiac thing my wife has. It hasn't been all bad though, I have trimmed up a little bit with just not eating garbage carbs.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Tide posted:

Need a stupidly easy and intuitive video editing software that can be used with mixed video types (GoPro, iPhone, some Chineseium GoPro knockoff). Any recommendations?

The answer for me is iMovie on my Mac. A few years ago I found myself wanting more from videos after trying the GoPro studio and wanting to mix in other stuff. I also acquired a 4K capable DJI quad at that point and started trying my hand at some DSLR stuff.

A 5k iMac was not the cheapest option but years later I have zero regrets. With some practice I can pop out nice little videos that are good enough for sharing on social media and some decent stuff for work real quick. iMovie is really easy and I’ll eventually step into the Adobe suite but my needs are easily met now. Buy one from the refurb store.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

everdave posted:

You spent $5k on an iMac am I reading this right? If so I will not be able to sleep tonight

This made me physically laugh out loud. No I did not spend five thousand United States dollars on an iMac. I did spend something like $2200? I hope you were able to sleep last night. I really do enjoy the computer though.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Ether Frenzy posted:

Fact: The only car actually worth owning is the E9x M3.

Your narrative is consistent and I agree with it.
Only car that appeals to me now is a 997 turbo or out of reach super cars.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

NitroSpazzz posted:

I think that's my problem. Everything I'd consider in my price range is boring and feels like a horrible appliance. Everything I've driven from the past decade that I like is expensive. I talked myself out of the volt pretty quickly and will probably just continue driving the TDI until it returns to the earth.

At almost the halfway point February is going good. Old house is sold, as of yesterday, and I got a promotion that went into effect a couple days ago. Looks like I'll be able to get back to race car stuff soon.

I am only driving 5-6K miles personally in a year. The beater Mazda6 has about 140K miles and shows no signs of ever dying. The M3 will likely outlast oil reserves. There is no reason for me to be buying any other cars. The Wife's car has ~50K miles and she only drives 8-9K a year. As I see it I don't have any plans on buying another car for 10 years. I am glad I have my fun car! I told my wife my present to myself after paying off the house will be a 911 turbo.

Speaking of your caddy my friends "Caddzilla" project is done. I have not gotten a ride in it but the thing is sweet! Remember this is an AWD conversion with the haldex system from a TT and is a TDI conversion as well

work in progress shots

his ridiculous wheels that I love

finished

Maker Of Shoes posted:

The person I sit next to is hosting a teleconference call for one of her projects and I'm not sure how I haven't noticed this in a year of sitting here but every 5th word out of her mouth is "um".

Once that glass has shattered you can never not notice it. Condolences.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

My wife and I don't care one bit for Valentine's Day. There are a lot of manufactured holidays but this has to be the most egregious money grab. We did get our kids some nice cards though and little treats. They were so excited to see them waiting on the counter for them this morning. That was much nicer.

It was nearly nine years ago we got engaged. It is nice to have someone that equally doesn't care about stuff with you and cares about important stuff with you. She is a keeper. She didn't get me anything for my birthday earlier this week, but we talked about it well before and I wasn't even fussed because I didn't expect anything. For material things I have more than I could ever hope for. She made me a killer dinner and cookies because I don't like cake as much as a quality cookie and I got laid.

That is what true love looks like y'all. Not some garbage chocolate in a box.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Today a friend/local customer brought by his 1/5 RC with a 65cc two stroke engine. We did a Facebook live video of it running. That thing is criminally fast and so loud :stare: I might need one.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Jesus christ that's bigger than some chainsaws.

Oh it’s legit. Full billet crankcase with a reed valve. It has an Italian made cylinder that is ported, originally intended for scooters/pocket bike racing. That all feeds through a massive tuned pipe.
It woke the dead. Typically RCs of this size are using Zenoah 30-32cc sized mills.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Yeah, we're gonna need video on that. Maximum braaaaaap

Here are some photos of the engine next to the "standard" 32cc mill.

This is the link to the live video. Hopefully it works. It was done live so the feed was a little jumpy Facebook live video link, the good stuff starts about two minutes in

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

BraveUlysses posted:

hmmm im thinking it's time to finally put the ps3 out to pasture and pick up a ps4pro or a switch. I've had the drat thing for 8+ years at this point.

Switch is dope. Zelda is amazing. MarioKart is fun to play. I have not gotten into Odyssey because my kid wants to play it any time I get it out. Splatoon 2 is supposed to be fun but it is just a one player game so I haven't bothered getting it. It is a really impressive piece of hardware.

For audiophiles I bought flush mount in wall speakers from Monoprice (their expensive carbon fiber ones) and a Sony 7.1 receiver. I have no doubt ruined my hearing over the years but with a nice sub this does the job filling my space. I have a projector and 110" screen. Watching blu-rays at home is 90% of the movie theater experience.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

BraveUlysses posted:

man that's all very tempting...i do have a 3 y/o and i'm sure she'd love to play it when she's a bit older and understands games a bit better

My little dude is 3 1/2, his sister is 5 1/2. He is the one who loves to play. Mariokart is kickass because it has this neat feature for driving assist. There are two settings, one setting doesn't let the car go off the track (so no falling off rainbow road, etc) the other is that the car always moves forward whether or not the gas is pressed. I can be racing for real on my screen, the kids can be racing and having fun and no matter what they finish within ~20 seconds of me. It is truly excellent with the training aids for the kids.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Whoa, the Smoking Tire is ending the One Take series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a81tj5ZpioM&feature=youtu.be

Haven’t had a chance to watch this video yet but he’s been saying he was getting close to being done for a year. Over Christmas he posted a video saying all the one takes had been shot minus a couple so for two months it’s just been backlogged vids. I under. Leave at the top of your game like a rockstar rather than leave because people stopped showing up.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

InitialDave posted:

Yes, use a bit of lubricant before sticking things in your VAG.

I am juvenile so I naturally :lol:'d

We have had one of the most mild winters in my lifetime so with the week starting off by dumping 10 inches of snow and being below freezing and then what appears to be another 3 or 4 inches today I can safely say I like the moderate winter. I put the summer car to bed in November but have driven a few times a week. Not driving it this week has kind of sucked.

Regarding alcohol chat I can say with confidence that I have never had a single drop of alcohol my entire life. This was largely fueled from religious upbringing (which I still adhere to) but I really don't have any desire for it. If I was to drink booze it would probably be me trying to enhance the flavors of other foods like some noob sommelier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Rhyno posted:

You guys are great people, thanks for the support and abuse. Off to get married in a few hours!

You’re all growed up! Congrats, you’ve married out of your league like most of us. All the best Rhyno.

• Locked thread