Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I don't want to be seen playing favourites so I choose both threads.

e: Sorry that this post got entered into the database a little later. I love you both equally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

everdave posted:

A McDonald’s has burned. They had a playland with a 6+ foot Ronald. I had my moms Camry. 1992 with the 4 cyl. A car that will outlast us all. I had a plan.

Did the Ronald melt?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

You Am I posted:

So Rhyno is getting married this month.

*stocks up on beer and munchies like a doomsday preper for the massive drama bomb that will probably happen*

This is season finale grade poo poo.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Rhyno posted:

She and I have been together for 9 years so I doubt anything will happen between us.

Don't loving jinx it.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Powershift posted:

32gb of ram in a laptop? i'm still rocking 8 in my main rig.

I had a job that equipped me with a 32GB Lenovo and then forced everyone to run 32-bit Windows. :shrug:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
If you have background downloads turned on, it's probably trying to download the patches/updates/whatever right now, and it will be ready to play at some future date so it's not like you have to stare at it the whole time.

Agreed that 32GB is a bullshit patch size: that's a multiple of the size of the disc. Waiting for disc-based games to install is the worst part of new games. I would just get them on Steam if not for the 10% "new game" discount from Amazon Prime.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

CommieGIR posted:

Missing EEVBlog, Electroboom, and Scott Manley.

EEVBlog is worth it just for the magical dumpster in his office complex that endlessly coughs up mint computers.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

CommieGIR posted:

I know, right? Where the gently caress do they keep coming from other than the Mailbag?

The best thing I've ever looted from the dumpster near my old office was a T61 T42 that spontaneously reboots.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Feb 6, 2018

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Powershift posted:

poo poo's about to go down up, yo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbSwFU6tY1c

17 minutes to launch.

INSURED, PLEASE DESCRIBE LOSS TYPE: car was shot into space

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

My buddy’s dog had a singular puppy in her litter and we’re going to go visit him on Saturday (and probbo take him home)

He’s a big boy for a 9 week old :3: :3:

That dog is already fed up with being photographed.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Beverly Cleavage posted:

The highlander never truly disengages traction control. I'm sad about this. I picked up a pair of lightly used nokian snow tires. It gets the business done, but traction control severely limits the fun factor.

You can't do the hold-button-down Toyota dance?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Rhyno posted:

Just got offered a free Saturn. No pics yet but all the plastic panels were damaged by an angry ex.

Worth it. Saturns rule, and you can probably replace the panels for cheap from the JY in your relatively rust-free shithole zone.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
It's not that hard to replace a drivers' door window, anyway. Another junkyard trip, a few hours of messing with window regulators and you're good to go.

Auto means you get to dodge having to install a new shift linkage kit too.

Save that car.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

slidebite posted:

Holy gently caress

So just came across this

https://twitter.com/HealthWatch123/status/962145547057553410

For those that don't know, this dumb gently caress is a guy that is responsible for killing his own child by not getting him real medical treatment when he had meningitis.

Mother loving "natural health" people have him a keynote speaker at a conference. That's right - a guy that killed his own kid due to untreated meningitis is speaking at a "health" conference.

He is completely unrepentant and it's a gift the Judge didn't throw him and his stunned wife in jail for years.

He made a lot of money from his "defence fund," too. Imagine how things would have been different if it was an Aboriginal parent who took their kid's rictus-stricken body and drove them on the highway in the bed of their truck on a loose mattress to go see another quack doctor.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
That weird ripoff site probably has more hits than the SA forums ever will.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

KakerMix posted:

DID YOU GUYS KNOW:

In Japan instead of "Cruise Control" they call it "Auto Drive"? Thanks Google Translate!

Weird. All the JDM Subarus I've ever seen (at least '90 onwards) say CRUISE on their buttons.

It would explain why my wife's 200SX has a button marked
CRU-
ISE
CONT

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Feb 11, 2018

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

iwentdoodie posted:

Days like today I really wish I could code, because goddamn I could fix some simple rear end issues.

One department uses a timesheet that populates an access database. The issue is the guy that created it 18 months ago is no longer here, and he created it as a .xsn file. Which means as soon as the systems updated to office 16, we lost functionality for that format.

So now time sheets are having to be emailed, and the data entered manually into the database, until I can find a better solution.

gently caress.

You can do it! Or get a consultant...

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Rhyno posted:

Ugh, I also supposed to have a bachelor party on Saturday and I'm not even remotely interested in the idea.

The best bachelor parties I've been on:
  • $1000 beater cars roadtrip
  • Go-karting
  • (coming up this year) $1000 beater cars roadtrip, but more so

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Yeah but it doesn't have Bluetooth so my $25 SoundBot is still best. :colbert:

Dear god is that case ever nice though. Awesome industrial design.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
It's great that we went from "stereos are cool" to "Dave scared some normals again" in like two pages.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

everdave posted:

Took the kids 90 miles away to Grandma’s and also so I can catch up with some friends and see a show tomorrow. 3 year olds just popped a fever which I’m terrified, please don’t be the flu! So many deaths around here from it.

Good luck. I hope everything is going to be alright, it sounds like they're in good hands though and you caught it in time.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Oh yeah and I added a new vehicle to the stable:

:whatup:

Looks like you could strap a Briggs in that lower basket, just sayin'

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

wallaka posted:

I'm packing up the household and came across the last issue of Sport Compact Car. It was the end of an era. I started reading the magazine in probably 1997, right after I bought a 1988 Honda CRX, and had boxes of magazines squirreled away until maybe 10 years ago. I only kept this one.

I miss SCC :(

And, to a lesser extent, the aborted Project Car magazine.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Rhyno posted:

You guys are great people, thanks for the support and abuse. Off to get married in a few hours!

Good luck!

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

First time I've ever made a pot roast. Got a cheap, small roast at Winco for <$8, threw everything into the Instant Pot (staggered out anyway; veggies went in for the last 10 minutes of cooking).

A bit salty (since I stupidly used a packet of pot roast seasoning in the "broth", plus some onion soup mix to coat the potatoes - was following a recipe I found online from Salt Lovers Anonymous or some poo poo), but goddamn it's tasty. And fall-apart-tender. Just gonna need a gallon or twenty of water after I'm done inhaling it.

One of my quick meals now is to chuck a frozen pot roast in the Instant Pot for about an hour and a half with just the onion soup mix. It works pretty well. Can never get the gravy to turn out, though.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Or go entirely off the deep end and get a Sony PVM.

You know you want that RGB goodness.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Olympic Mathlete posted:

There's a couple of PVMs at work that I could acquire without anyone noticing...

They're worth a gazillion dollars to retro gamers these days, if they have RGB.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

DesperateDan posted:

Yes, mr driver in your volvo in the snow, pressing that pedal hard is making a lot of noise and your tyres are spinning round but you aren't going up that hill, are you? Even with the pedal down and significant smoke from the exhaust, physics is still a stone cold fucker and doesn't care.

I should have recorded the audio/visual experience of a volvo being murdered. But I just watched. When he gave up, slid back and turned away it sounded very, very clattery. Saw two other cars lose the back end around corners and end up on the wrong side of the road, really glad I left the car at home.

My neighbour threw a rod from his late-model Malibu a few weeks ago trying to get up the hill*. Then he tried jump-starting it from his truck before realizing the reason it stalled might have something to do with the glittery oil pouring down the icy slope behind him.

* Flooring it from cold for over ten minutes straight.

• Locked thread