Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

Lets keep this race even.

Rhyno's thread is still a couple posts ahead (as of this post).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

You offering? :wiggle:

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

everdave posted:

THis is it? My crowning achievement? Does anyone want to hear about how I stole a Ronald McDonald statue and dented my moms trunk from his shoes? I’m taking questions

It's your thread. :justpost:

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

everdave posted:

Does anyone have advice on what to do with your phone in the car? My new one has apple car play but it has to be plugged in and it just seems "not right" to just have the iPhone plugged in laying out on the seat or stuck upside down in a cupholder

Edit: but wow being gable to have navigation on the big screen in a cheap car is pretty awesome

I have one of those magnet mounts that just slides over the slats in one of my vents next to the steering wheel. Keeps it out of the way but still easy to grab and go. It does mean you have to stick the included metal plate to your phone's case, though (I didn't care, but some might). It's also cool that if I'm going on a trip, I can just grab it before I leave and use it in whatever car I end up with (and it doubles as a phone stand).

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Seminal Flu posted:

You're not insane. Last year my wife and I paid off the remaining $40k from her law school degree. I'm sitting on ~$20k from my master's that I don't want to pay off because "back then" you could consolidate and refinance and my interest rate is under 2%.

Now student loans cannot be discharged through bankruptcy and have MUCH higher interest rates. Plus, NEVER get behind, because the gub'mnt doesn't play too long before they turn you over to a third party that adds a ton of fees right away.

Compounding that, yeah, tuition has doubled since the early '00s, and it is not uncommon to see students leaving 4 year state schools $100k+ in debt.

This is absolutely strangling an upcoming generation of our country... who are the very ones that we'll need to lead us, guide us and take care of us when we age. It's loving nuts and unsustainable. The real estate market is vocally wondering why millennials aren't buying homes at the rate of previous generations... loving :lol:

But it's not all dire, it just means that you have to take a lot more time in planning your moves. You are on the right track, figuring out what GI gets you and where the gap is. Also, look into scholarships, especially since you're already working in the sector of your discipline. Don't worry about $40k of debt if it'll put you in a job that makes more money, you'll be able to make it.

I have a Master's degree and just over 100k in student loans. But I also have an income-based repayment plan that limits the payments to a reasonable level and, since I work for a nonprofit, get the principal of the loan (consolidated years ago) written off in about five more years. Still have to pay back the interest, but that's pretty cheap comparatively.

MGS: on the scholarship note, the college you're applying to should have someone in the admissions office who helps identify potential scholarship opportunities but, if they don't, see if you can get access to the Foundation Grants to Individuals database via the college library.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Previa_fun posted:

Lazy Game Reviews dude also has a channel where he just makes kickass sandwiches. 10/10

I have a weird love of that channel. He's just so into making a tasty sammich.

I'll add NerdCubed, Ashens, MyVirginKitchen, and Barshens for your recommended daily dose of (mostly) humorous British people.

I also really enjoy Paul Sellers, Will Matthews (similar to Hand Tool Rescue), Mr. Chickadee, and Primitive Technology for more relaxing videos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.
Ugh. I guess someone graffitied "Don't be at [the high school my wife works at] at 1:20 on 2/22" in a girls bathroom and so they've gone into soft lockdown (all exterior doors locked, staff on alert, additional cops called in). She says the threat level is low, but gently caress that's not cool.

• Locked thread