Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
my dream is playing napple tale in english, sega's dreamcast game that was developed by an all-women team who decided to make a surreal 2.5d platformer about loving life and celebrating the time we have left before the inevitability of death as something beautiful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

homeless snail posted:

well then I celebrate capcom for their successful trick, and their slight modification of things that are completely immaterial to the game

Yes, modern game feel is a messy thing that gets in the way. Call me when the next MonHun game is completely in ASCII so I won't have to bother with things that pull me out of the game.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

"game feel" lol

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The Colonel posted:

my dream is playing napple tale in english, sega's dreamcast game that was developed by an all-women team who decided to make a surreal 2.5d platformer about loving life and celebrating the time we have left before the inevitability of death as something beautiful

I've listened to the soundtrack at least

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

homeless snail posted:

"game feel" lol

yes but what does it taste like?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I dunno if Chibi Robo is actually a "good'' game but its certainly a weird and memorable one.

There's a dancing naked blue man with a plug for a head. You spray water on him and he grows.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Sakurazuka posted:

I've listened to the soundtrack at least

the napple tale soundtrack loving owns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6U8lPlTK02I

Internet Kraken posted:

I dunno if Chibi Robo is actually a "good'' game but its certainly a weird and memorable one.

There's a dancing naked blue man with a plug for a head. You spray water on him and he grows.

chibi-robo is a game that takes tedious daily chores and makes them actively satisfying and fun while telling a story about the bonds between people, family and love

all of love de lic, and by extension skip ltd, punchline and vanpool's games have flaws but i really appreciate what nishi and the rest of the ex-ldl staff go for as directors and chibi-robo is possibly the closest nishi's gotten to making a perfect game in how it blends all of his weird idiosyncrasies into something consistently fun to play

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Feb 17, 2018

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

the only game feels I care about are the ones I feel by sublimating my body and soul deep into the mechanics of the game. and also the feel when that girl dies in asuras wrath

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Well yeah it's Yoko Kanno

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I have no idea why people are pretending Mario Odyssey is anything special, they perfected that poo poo in 1996 but I'm happy they did immaterial things like improve the visual clarity, feedback, character response, and other stimulae that don't make it feel 20 years old.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
anyway my favorite game is mega man zero 3 where zero finally attains a sense of self-understanding through meeting a soulless murder robot inhabiting his old body and beating the poo poo out of it and then in the next game fights a robot scientist in a laser cannon satellite as it plummets towards the earth killing them both instantly

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

The guardians dying offscreen was bullshit.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

al-azad posted:

I have no idea why people are pretending Mario Odyssey is anything special, they perfected that poo poo in 1996 but I'm happy they did immaterial things like improve the visual clarity, feedback, character response, and other stimulae that don't make it feel 20 years old.
one of those things isn't like the other, sorry for your poor understanding of the medium of video games. game feel is just another way of saying "i only reacted to this on an emotional level" or in other words "i failed to form a coherent opinion". do you walk out of the theater talking about movie feels too?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I wish people would stop talking about MMZ because it reminds me that I only just about beat 1 then gave up on 2 after like three stages. :(

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
imo game feel is walking out of bioshock infinite an hour in because the gameplay is average but you feel like you've played better versions of it a dozen times before that were less cheeky with invulnerable npcs

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

steven spielberg, the master of the "movie feel"

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

The Colonel posted:

chibi-robo is a game that takes tedious daily chores and makes them actively satisfying and fun while telling a story about the bonds between people, family and love

The plot of chibi robo upset me as a kid because it was about a husband and wife having a huge marriage problems. Everything worked out in the end for them, but that made me frustrated because I didn't have a magic solution to fix my parents problems with each other. Then my parents got divorced and now I've made myself sad remembering all this :negative:

al-azad
May 28, 2009

homeless snail posted:

one of those things isn't like the other, sorry for your poor understanding of the medium of video games. game feel is just another way of saying "i only reacted to this on an emotional level" or in other words "i failed to form a coherent opinion". do you walk out of the theater talking about movie feels too?

But people react to video games on an emotional level. Human beings react to literally everything on an emotional level. You don't have to look far to see someone say "I couldn't get into this because it was ugly." I would bet money that you have said something similar in the past week.

On a design level there is only improvement to be made on a game that doesn't break the tension between actions. On a fundamental level there is only improvement is using technology to remove limitations from old technology. And on an emotional level there is only improvement to be made in ensuring that the veil between the game and the player isn't lifted.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

The plot of chibi robo upset me as a kid because it was about a husband and wife having a huge marriage problems. Everything worked out in the end for them, but that made me frustrated because I didn't have a magic solution to fix my parents problems with each other. Then my parents got divorced and now I've made myself sad remembering all this :negative:
same but mr mosquito

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

al-azad posted:

But people react to video games on an emotional level. Human beings react to literally everything on an emotional level. You don't have to look far to see someone say "I couldn't get into this because it was ugly." I would bet money that you have said something similar in the past week.

On a design level there is only improvement to be made on a game that doesn't break the tension between actions. On a fundamental level there is only improvement is using technology to remove limitations from old technology. And on an emotional level there is only improvement to be made in ensuring that the veil between the game and the player isn't lifted.
games are mechanics, your conscious or unconscious interactions with those mechanics inform, in large part, your emotional response to the game. its much more interesting to talk about why it is that you were made to feel a certain way than to say "wow getting some serious Game Feel over here", much in the same way its more interesting to talk about direction and cinematography than talk about how stephen spielberg makes your tummy tingly with his movie magic

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

homeless snail posted:

games are mechanics, your conscious or unconscious interactions with those mechanics inform, in large part, your emotional response to the game. its much more interesting to talk about why it is that you were made to feel a certain way than to say "wow getting some serious Game Feel over here", much in the same way its more interesting to talk about direction and cinematography than talk about how stephen spielberg makes your tummy tingly with his movie magic

Most people aren't equipped to talk in-depth about the direction and cinematography of a movie either

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

homeless snail posted:

is that what i missed by never seeing et

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Andrast posted:

Most people aren't equipped to talk in-depth about the direction and cinematography of a movie either
you don't have to be smart, you just have to make an effort, that's my motto

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

The Colonel posted:

is that what i missed by never seeing et
It's what you missed by not seeing Duel, the movie about a truck that just really wants to run Dennis Weaver over.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

sorry I was actually referring to Steven Spielberg's Ready Player One, that one hits especially hard cause it has both movie AND game feels

al-azad
May 28, 2009

homeless snail posted:

Pardon me for using a short hand cliche for all the above so let me hit you with a coherent opinion:

Games are more than mechanics, there's that whole video part of the equation. That is the first barrier to actually reaching the mechanics, the same way that things like typeface and layout is the first thing encountered when dealing with printed text. Any obstacle encountered in my attempt to interface with the mechanics will consciously or unconsciously influence how I ultimately interact with them for better or worse.

You call it "immaterial" because it isn't a barrier to you, someone who has probably followed the game since inception, but it's an immense barrier to me. My interest in the core gameplay loop stops at the point where the game fails to convince me that it's worth doing. Part of that is that Monster Hunter, at least in the one iteration I played 10 years ago, fails to present a coherent world I want to care about. Segmented levels inhibited that. From a gameplay perspective it made navigation a pain as I was relying more on the map than visual landmarks. It broke the tension of the game from an organic process to a mechanical one (and I mean that as in automated) as I felt like I'm going down a checklist from room to room. And it broke my immersion as a participant: maintaining an illusion, even a thin one, is how I separate an activity from a game. Call these things whatever cliche you want -- the meta, gameplay loop, or game feel -- it's the difference between a success like Overwatch and a failure like LawBreakers.

So to answer your question, yes, I think this "immaterial" thing is bringing a lot of new players unsatisfied with how old Monster Hunter looked and felt. And 6 million copies the first few weeks doesn't lie, that's practically Call of Duty numbers.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Old Monster Hunters looked like doodoo. This one okay. Still way behind on the gamefeels. But acceptable.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

al-azad posted:

Games are more than mechanics, there's that whole video part of the equation.
ah okay now I see our problem here. I know ps4 games and movies both come on blurays but you should try not to get the two confused

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The fact that the response from old players has been "new players you'll still need to watch youtube videos and read this tier list I wrote several games ago" is just further proof that yes, presentation matters no matter how much we want to pretend it isn't.

homeless snail posted:

ah okay now I see our problem here. I know ps4 games and movies both come on blurays but you should try not to get the two confused

not trying to be antagonistic or anything but eat palico poo poo.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

After playing the SoM remake a little more and getting over my initial disappointment the only thing that's straight up worse and unchangeable are the graphics. The biggest problem is that it's 90% the same and the original game really needed more improvements than a couple of quick slots and better AI, though the latter is a godsend.

E: it's also too expensive for what it is

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Feb 17, 2018

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

homeless snail posted:

"Argue on my level" says poster arguing on a purely semantic level. Ignoring the horrible, brain-breaking phrases "game feel" or "video", they already said the mechanical parts that made the game worse? I mean, DmC and DMC3 are only slightly mechanically different, so obviously you wouldn't understand why someone would enjoy one and laugh at how bad the other is.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Gonna go see Black Panther today :D I have heard it's pretty good, gonna be a fun time.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It's splatfest baby!!

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

what are the good Switch rpgs I want to chill out to some turn based combat

my current front runner for this is disgaea 5 despite sinking like 60 hours into the PS4 version but if there’s some gem that I’m missing I’d love to try it

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Romancing Saga 2 is cool

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Hell yeah it is

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
Would you automatically assume a female robot that has stilettos for feet is a sexbot? Like not wearing stilettos but her feet were constructed to literally be stilettos?

Because the second Tingle DS game has such a robot. She is one of your friends. Maybe she'll be in the next Hyrule Warriors one day.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

homeless snail posted:

Is there a specific reason you're arguing your pedantic points in the most dickish way possible or is that just the post feel you're going for?

mutata fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Feb 17, 2018

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Would you automatically assume a female robot that has stilettos for feet is a sexbot? Like not wearing stilettos but her feet were constructed to literally be stilettos?

Because the second Tingle DS game has such a robot. She is one of your friends. Maybe she'll be in the next Hyrule Warriors one day.

You shouldn't make assumptions about your robot friends. It's rude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Viewtiful Jew posted:

The YoRHas have stiletto feet and they're not sexbots

so does Raiden

• Locked thread