Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I should watch King of Kong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Jay Rust posted:

I should watch King of Kong

It's really good

The part where Wiebe plays drums better than 99% of professional drummers on his kids miniature drum kit is great

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I've been meaning to watch King of Kong but all I know of it is that Scott C did the DVD insert art which I have a print of, Billy Mitchell inspired a cheating arcade player in Regular Show, and there's an entire episode of South Park with Bono as the biggest piece of crap.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

al-azad posted:

I've been meaning to watch King of Kong but all I know of it is that Scott C did the DVD insert art which I have a print of, Billy Mitchell inspired a cheating arcade player in Regular Show, and there's an entire episode of South Park with Bono as the biggest piece of crap.

The Regular Show one is funny becuase Billy Mitchell tried to sue them becuase of that episode.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Electric Phantasm posted:

The Regular Show one is funny becuase Billy Mitchell tried to sue them becuase of that episode.

Now we know why, they were too close to the truth.

Like when Justin Roiland got a Cease and Desist from The Cosby Estate because he was "Besmirching the good name of Bill Cosby" like thirteen years ago.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Expect My Mom posted:

play all of them.

im going to beat bloodborne and then get the remaster of 1 cause I never beat Sen's Fortress, it's all very exciting

Oh jesus you are in for a world of hurt. Even knowing where to go I still died like 20 times in that place. It's just. DEATH.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

all my posts are emulated in mame and i hope no one ever finds out

Robot Wendigo
Jul 9, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I picked up MHW last night and tried to hide it from my wife and failed. She just sighed.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

why would you hide it

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Really Pants posted:

why would you hide it

he doesn't want to share

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

You two could play co-op

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Hiding things from loved ones is the first sign you have a problem

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Maybe it was a Valentine's Day gift and the surprise was spoiled?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

I said come in! posted:

The Humble Bundle this month is Dark Souls III with the DLC. Dark Souls III wasn't well received among fans though, right?

Dark Souls fans have completely unreasonable standards built off of nostalgia for DS1. DS3 has a lot of faults but its still an amazing game; just not a perfect one. Most of the major issues with it come down to the story being way too similar to DS1 and not really adding much. The gameplay is still amazing though.

Ashes of Ariandel is the worst DLC in the whole series though.

Reality Loser posted:

Dark souls 2 is okay, but the bosses and characters aren't as interesting, and while the art assets are 'better', they look worse without ds1's film grain filter. There's a lot more items though, if that's your thing.

Dark Souls 2 actually has the best story out of the 3 Dark Souls games.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
You know you found your one when she gladly goes co oping with you on SR3 running frantically smashing peds in the face with the dildo bat.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

not when Ringed City exists it isn't

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Is Billy Mitchell the guy who repeatedly submitted scores where he barely beat the previous record then just let himself die because he sounded like an rear end in a top hat in addition to apparently being a cheater

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

not when Ringed City exists it isn't

Ringed City is wayyyyyy better though. Its not just a rehash of content from DS1 and has 3 really good bosses instead of two garbage ones. It also has Old Monk 2.0.

EDIT: Okay demon twins is kind of ruined by the second phase being poorly designed but they are still a decent boss.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Feb 3, 2018

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Shindragon posted:

Oh jesus you are in for a world of hurt. Even knowing where to go I still died like 20 times in that place. It's just. DEATH.
it sucks dude.

I didn't think Blighttown was really that bad, but Sen's is just snakemen, boulders and axes and it's dark and I couuuld not do it

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I had to start over in dark souls 3 when the second dlc came out because I had a new computer and it doesn't have cloud saves but that playthrough petered out and I never made it to the DLC

I also never finished bloodborne though I almost got there

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

I just put up my PS4 copy of DS3 up for sale because I'm getting the Humble Monthly PC version of it with the DLC :geno:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I just put up my PS4 copy of DS3 up for sale because I'm getting the Humble Monthly PC version of it with the DLC :geno:

I mean keep in mind even at its worst Dark Souls is still way better than most games. Ashes of Ariandel isn't bad, but it looks really low effort when compared to the other DLC in the series. If your biggest problem with Dark Souls 3 was it trying to hard to be Dark Souls 1, AoA felt like a big middle finger from Miyazaki as it is literally a rehash of DS1 content. Also one of the bosses is a huge disappointment while the other one is so :effort: it might as well not exist.

That's just one opinion though. I know a guy who thinks AoA is the second best DLC in the entire Soulsborne series. Maybe you'll love it. It really depends on how much you like DS1 and what you wanted out of DS3.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

Ringed City is wayyyyyy better though. Its not just a rehash of content from DS1 and has 3 really good bosses instead of two garbage ones. It also has Old Monk 2.0.

EDIT: Okay demon twins is kind of ruined by the second phase being poorly designed but they are still a decent boss.

Ringed City's level design is abysmal, and Midir is the worst boss in the game. Demon Twins are cool, they're like the one really good part of Ringed City. Gael's okay but he's also just another humanoid boss that you dodge and punish, which is fun and actually my favorite thing about DS3 in general, but there are like 3 or 4 bosses in the base game that do the same thing better. And you're stuck with it if you want to be up to class in PvP because they put all the +3 rings in it.

Ariandel has one of the coolest areas in the game in the Crow Village, added a bunch of good and interesting weapons, and Friede's third phase is the real final boss of Dark Souls and a fantastic fight if taken in a vacuum (even if the first two phases are dumb busy-work.)

also it doesn't have another loving poison swamp or respawning enemies

e: also both DLCs have issues with over-resilient enemies that can't be killed timely / efficiently, but in Ariandel this is mainly just the frost giant dudes whereas in Ringed City everything has temporary invulnerability or turns invisible or respawns or just has too much HP to bother fighting in the first place

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Feb 3, 2018

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Robot Wendigo posted:

I picked up MHW last night and tried to hide it from my wife and failed. She just sighed.

Get her to hunt mons.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Friede is the worst loving fight in the whole series. She wouldn't be difficult at all if she didn't have two phases coming before her that play completely differently and just drain your estus. Multiphase boss fights where one phase is totally different from the others are just bad from a design standpoint, and Friede has 3 of them. Also the second phase is so badly designed that its offensive. They made a two man boss fight where their movesets don't complement each other at all and their AI has no compatibility. Father Ariandel is so weak that you can end the phase in like 30 seconds if Friede is nice and doesn't spam her AOE ice move. If she decides to heal Araindel, you will actually by do more damage by ignoring the heal and just hitting Ariandel. That's so amazingly dumb.

I'll never forgive From for teasing a fight with Ariandel, a cool and unique character, and just having it be a minor component of another fight with a twirly flame NPC. gently caress Friede.

EDIT: That fight makes me genuinely angry :qq:

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Feb 3, 2018

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

the second phase is bad, i won't argue that

the third phase is fantastic, like easily one of the best fights in the entire game, if only it weren't at the end of an endurance match

if you fought Friede once in her first form (which would teach you her tells and some of the gimmicks that get supercharged in the third phase) and then later, as a separate bossfight, fought just her third form then AoA really would be a contender for best DLC in the series

as it is it's not great but it's still way better than the steaming turd that is Ringed City

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Dual wielding elemental scythes is super cool and it's a huge shame the weapon is super lame in player hands

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Third phase Friede is just a knockoff Lady Maria. Who gives a poo poo about another tall waifu throwing fire around? Give me an interesting and unique fight with the guy the swings around a giant flaming cauldron instead. That would of been fun.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

who cares about aesthetics, slow bosses have never been interesting and Friede is The Fastest

also Lady Maria is in Bloodborne, which isn't on PC, so it's a good knockoff to have

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
At this point I care way more about fights being fun and unique rather than difficult. Difficulty is a plus, but I can enjoy fighting an "easy" boss if its still well-designed and fun. I feel like Dark Souls 3 tried way to hard to make some of the bosses overly difficult and the result is they just become exhausting. I mean you yourself admitted Friede would be a better boss if it wasn't three phases. Plus a boss being big doesn't mean it has to be easy, they just have to be more creative with the design.

The Souls series has plenty of bosses that are hard. I don't think From should constantly keep trying to one-up themselves when it comes to difficulty because the end result is fights like Friede and Gael which are just absurd.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
i like quelaan

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
I would say I"m an ok Souls player helps that I tested one but holy poo poo Friede was a pain in the rear end. I die maybe 2 or 3 times to a boss if I can figure them out early. Friede on the other hand. Fuuuck that fight. Not to mention it being a multi phase boss fight. Dark Souls 3 REALLY loved doing that. HELL the last goddamn DLC boss was a goddamn cakewalk compared to her (not saying he was easy, I did still die quite a bit but at least he was fun to fight and figure out)

I kinda thought Fromsoft learned not to do big rear end dragons with big rear end health bars. Darkeater Midir took me many attempts. Nearly everything he does kills you in two or three shots. That was a veeery long fight.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

The Souls series has plenty of bosses that are hard. I don't think From should constantly keep trying to one-up themselves when it comes to difficulty because the end result is fights like Friede and Gael which are just absurd.

Gael is a pushover though :confused:

like i'm not great at souls, it took me three days of swearing at my computer and farming up embers because i ran out to beat friede

gael took like three or four attempts over 20 minutes

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I'm okay with multi phase bosses if they don't change the rhythm of the boss, here defined as the amount of time between the tell and the time you need to press the roll button, and also the speed at which you press roll when dodging combo moves

The first boss in the bloodborne DLC whose name I forget was a real bad offender at having different rhythm in different phases

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Ludwig tripped me up like hell because I was on edge dodging like crazy as he was fast. Because of that, when I got to the second phase I was dodging too early and eating those moonlight beams like they were for breakfast. That and I didn't know the best course of action for his gently caress OFFF BEAM OF DEATH SLAM was to run away as fast as you can .

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Bosses with really strong rhythm should still have one or two moves with really big tells that you dodge in a weird way. Manus is a really good example of a boss that hits this right imo

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Robot Wendigo posted:

If I can play Xenoblade Chronicles 2 in front of my so you can play monster hunter in front of yours

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Gael is a pushover though :confused:

like i'm not great at souls, it took me three days of swearing at my computer and farming up embers because i ran out to beat friede

gael took like three or four attempts over 20 minutes

Gael took me far longer to beat than any other boss excluding Friede, who only took long because I kept getting really angry and just wanted it to be over with. Never heard anyone call him easy before. Regardless of how easy you think he is, objectively he is one of the hardest bosses in the series simply because he sports an enormous healthbar. From obviously wanted him to be a very difficult and long fight. Even when you know what you are doing he takes a long time to kill compared to the endgame bosses from other games because he has so much health.

cheetah7071 posted:

The first boss in the bloodborne DLC whose name I forget was a real bad offender at having different rhythm in different phases

Ludwig is a huge offender of having different phases but he's one of the only cases where I'm fine with it because thematically its amazing. The complete change in fighting style makes complete sense and it wouldn't have nearly as much impact as a story moment if he fought the same way. Plus both phases feel like legitimate fights rather than one being obviously hamstrung for the sake of the other.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Feb 3, 2018

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
man in king of kong billy mitchell is such a flaky mofo no wonder he was a cheating poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Bloodborne is a flWless game and whenever I booted up ds3 I just replayed Bloodborne after. It took me like 1 year to beat that game and I beat Bloodborne 4 times in the interim

• Locked thread