Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.
Mario + Rabbids would be 10x better if it was just a list of levels to pick from instead I have to endure pointless running around, open world tedium, and apparently endless mind numbing block puzzles in between the real content? Boooo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

Played the first hour of Prey and I'm pretty disappointed at how bland the story setup is. I'm in a facility where monsters have taken over due to failed scientific research. They could have done anything with this IP, anything. Big budget, get creative. Instead, I'm introduced with the most generic story beats imaginable. Metroid Prime, Half-Life, and Doom all have this same setup. Add in the disembodied voice that is tracking your every move and says poo poo like "You don't know what's going on. That's ok, just listen to me if you want to live" and you have Dead Space, Bioshock, and Far Cry. It's just such a well worn path by so many big names it's disheartening how generic it is. I feel like I can smell a shocking human experimentation reveal and a betrayal by a major NPC coming from a mile away even though I know next to nothing about the story so far.

I hope the levels get creative and interesting, but after playing Wolf2 as my last FPS I'm also worried about that. Midway through that game you get the choice of an augment - ramming shoulders, chest compressor, or stilts. Yet the way this is used is, for example, to have a freestanding locked room in the middle of an area. You can either use stilts to climb up through the ceiling, or compress and go through the vent, or ram through the doorway. The 3 diverging paths are almost always right next to each other, making it a very shallow sense of choice, especially since most people will only have 1 augment most of the time. I hope Prey doesn't fall into a similar trap where I have a locked door so I can either grab a keycard from a desk nearby, or gloo gun up to a window, or hack something if I have the skill. I find this very superficial. Something that is challenging to parse initially then comes into focus as I think about it is a type of puzzle I enjoy more, even if there is only one set solution.

Since I've experienced very little actual gameplay so far I'll give it a few more hours at least. Maybe the gunplay is good and something really interesting will happen.

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

cheetah7071 posted:

If you like obscure, charming, Japan-only top-down puzzle games from the 90s, then boy did I just finish the game for you!

It's called Little Magic, for the SNES, and it's real good

This looks great but I don't think I'd have the patience for it

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

Been playing some Wuppo. I'm impressed by the unique style of some puzzles and information the game asks you to piece together. So far, it avoids being rote like other 2d platformers. Also it's cute and at times laugh out loud funny in ways video games rarely are.

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

Saint Freak posted:

It's March and here we all are in a February thread. Disgusting.

Not March in the best parts of the world

• Locked thread