Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

DLC Inc posted:

if the long rumored DMC5 gets revealed this year it'll be another slamdunk

didn't that turn out to be a mobile game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the .hack compilation is sure reminding me of how little this series respected your time

also in retrospect i kind of liked the original quadrilogy's aesthetic better, even if it was leagues less fun to play - everything seemed vaguely alien and menacing and the Epitaphs themselves did a good job of conveying wrongness compared to the semi-sentai ones in GU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Nina posted:

I think I would’ve liked the P5 plot more had it stayed at a grounded scale. The bigger the threats got in the society the faster the plot started leaking all its gravitas.

P5 became more and more outlandish and unrelatable as its scale increased until the final act, where it segfaulted and became almost as good as the first act

a population quietly sitting and waiting for the end of civilization while resenting the audacity of people who even make a token effort to change things for the better was way more relatable than anything involving Shido, who pound for pound might have been one of the worst-written villains in 2017

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

FirstAidKite posted:

The steam sale pics are pretty good

lol @ :shittydog: toby :shittydog: taking front and center

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

glam rock hamhock posted:

I know then all except the one between Ammy and The Annoying Dog

p sure that's Chop from GTAV

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Chev posted:

Apart possibly from the fourth one (or at least I never got the trick to making that one behave the way I wanted), all the colossi behaviors are deterministic. They don't do stuff because they feel like it, they do it because you did the thing that'd make them do it.

the "trick" to colossus 4 is aggro it and make sure it sees you disappear into one of the barrows so it peeks in

the problem is that its pathfinding is quite bad and it may become distracted by agro or a pretty butterfly on the way to the entrance, and even if it doesn't, its windup to actually looking inside (it repeatedly stomps the ground around the entrance first and only looks inside to see if you died in the cave-in) takes so long that you might be tempted to go out and check where it is, and if it sees you then the whole process resets

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i keep listening to Don't Think Twice

my kingdom hearts hype is rising again and i'm not happy about it

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

glam rock hamhock posted:

Really? I find adult Gohan to be the dullest character but I guess how fun they are and how good they are often don't go hand in hand in any fighting game

adult gohan does in fact look boring, and he is boring, and he continues to be boring as he does things like this

https://twitter.com/Rebel2_Seo/status/963673599721771010

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

The Chad Jihad posted:

I'm hoping hyrule warriors on Switch fixes the samey warrior stuff from FE, but I hear the words 'Giant Enemies' and get gundam flashbacks

Most of them aren't so bad.

Except for the Imprisoned, which is very, very bad.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Fi had no good options for single target damage, which made bosses and officers a miserable hassle.

The only fighter worse than her was Zant.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

cheetah7071 posted:

MLP hasn't been culturally relevant for like 5 years

yeah, bronies are actually kind of quaint in this new, degraded age

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i grew up with a dad who never used any spice in his cooking besides lowry's seasoned salt

my food is still grad-school tier but i still think it's a leg up on most of what i ate as a kid

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I only got that feeling from Bopopolis.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i beat bopopolis with just DK and realized from that point on there was nothing else the game could do to hurt me

i don't recall ever needing the powerups but having a few spare barrels on hand was helpful for boss fights, since each one was effectively a full-heal

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
tbf i've always been a little puzzled by game mechanics that ensure better players get to hold on to more powerups and advantages than worse ones

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Help Im Alive posted:

There's a pretty good PS4 sale on the EU store right now so I think I'll finally buy Danganronpa 3 and I think Ruiner too

The Surge and Little Nightmares are supposed to be good right

Little Nightmares is decent but really short, you can easily clear it in 2 hours even if you have no idea what you're doing.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i looked at the final boss/ending for Survive and it was plodding and lifeless on multiple levels

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

The Colonel posted:

yeah there was some weird negativity towards it for until a bit after it came out and everybody realized "wait this is actually a really good action game that captures the feel of metal gear and platinum is good??"

probably still some die-hard fans who get weird about it

its detractors these days are quite timid, lest they be found and swiftly destroyed

even kojima was a raving fan of it

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Macaluso posted:

:wtf: :wtf: :suicide: :suicide: :wtf: :wtf:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XoKLsDmeXbc

edit: I got it a few tries after this but what the heck!

yeah that's a "turn off the game and have a quiet lie down" moment right there

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

Is Kingdom Come actually confirmed made by multiple people following neo nazi beliefs or is this just one guy spoiling the bunch

all the controversy's just been around the lead dev

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
FE Heroes is gatcha, you pay money in hopes of getting a devastatingly handsome anime boy on your screen

Or girl I guess but those aren’t the ones lighting Twitter on fire

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

Actually something else hit my radar. Something called Pyre? I get bored and/or anxious with strategy games though and it sounds like the kind of game with the kind of long term decisions I suck at :(

it's not a strategy game, it's a CYOA v-novel fantasy basketball simulator

obviously

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i probably like transistor more than anyone else on this forum, so yes

it's a harder sell for people who were big fans of Bastion (Supergiant's breakout game) because the plot is way more oblique and detached, but the presentation is top-notch and the gameplay is excellent if you can wrap your head around its nuances

Pyre is much gentler and more optimistic in comparison

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Transistor's OST is better IMO

Pyre's the least striking of the three but it's not much of a gap, Supergiant's music team is ridiculously solid

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

chumbler posted:

The final boss of Transistor is really cool like all rival fights are.

Brackett's VA gave Cunningham a run for his money in that game.

"Who gets to go first? How about...me."

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Expect My Mom posted:

Been replaying Mother 3 and man, it rules how much that game is a meditation on how greed corrupts absolutely and that capitalism is what ruins utopias. It's so intense a swerve from the past games and I love through that. Just a near constant tragedy where even the jokes are sad. Also it's mechanically better. You could critique this game to death, but it's such a cool and weird ride.

There's one line near the end about how the world fell into ruin that hits especially close these days.

"Everyone knew it was going to happen, of course."

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

FirstAidKite posted:

In a way, the endless cycle of reruns without a satisfying ending fits Big O pretty well.

Being thematically appropriate doesn't make it any better though. Oh well. :shrug:

It was going to get a proper ending but the block got a new director who canceled the final season in favor of more poo poo like aqua teen hunger force

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Viewtiful Jew posted:

https://twitter.com/FFXVEN/status/968849310052909056

Noctis is actually getting costumes from every PC Gaming-related franchise now.

Please look forward to Doom Marine Noctis.

noctis m'boy i know it's good to keep an open mind but some outfits are really better kept to the bedroom

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

PantsBandit posted:

Goddamn, it blows my mind that there are people out there that can describe a woman as an "unruly wench" and not think "gee, I loving suck".

ho there, unruly wench, a flagon of your finest ale at once

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
WD2 made it uncomfortably clear how data gathered online can be used in discriminatory practices, too

i mean this is all public knowledge anyway but the way the game shoved it in my face made it click a little better

• Locked thread