Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
  • Locked thread
PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Finally got to play some games of Fighterz with my friend last night. That game is an absolute "blast" heheheh

Yamcha can teleport before Wolf-Fang-Fist for a mix-up. NOT MY YAMCHA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

In Training posted:

DBFZ has already outsold SFV lifetime. I'm glad Goku has finally shepherded millions away from the poisonous influence of Capcom

That's awesome, I hadn't heard that. I'm really excited to see it at EVO, just watching DBZ characters wail on each other in a highly-polished game is a dream of mine.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

FirstAidKite posted:

I am glad Yamcha is in DBFZ but I hope Yajirobe could get added at some point in time because he is cool and good

You never know! I have no doubt there will be dlc characters. Hercule, Roshi, and Broly seem like obvious picks to me.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

That Oolong game does look pretty good

Oolong's light-attack looks like a good opener but I don't know that I love the range.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Help Im Alive posted:

Hopefully March has less Knack

Sorry, March is Knack History Month.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

I've been rewatching dbz kai and one of my favorite parts is how jacked the Namekian dragon is. He's a mystical dragon, what need does he have to be jacked as gently caress? But it's dbz, so of course he is.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

New Nier is looking dope.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

I finished up the main story in Celeste over the weekend and am now working on doing the B-Sides. It's about everything you'd want out of a platformer, tough but not overly frustrating discrete sections that steadily build on simple mechanics.

Anyone who was a fan of meat boy should give Celeste a try. It's not exactly the same thing but it's similarly polished and there's a lot of content to sink your teeth into.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

If I'm ever the kind of person that describes something as "dollar store philosophy" please just put me out of my misery

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Why is it that escape-pods in video games always end up getting hosed to poo poo when they land? Shouldn't they be designed specifically to not get super hosed up during difficult landings?

Like I'm playing Subnautica and in the beginning you are on an escape-pod and within 3 seconds of launching panels are coming off the wall and poo poo.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Hanzo is not going to have scattershot anymore. This is a good day for gamers everywhere.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Looper posted:

Wait no I'm changing my answer to Jet Force Gemini

The questions wasn't: "What good games are good?"

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

It's cool going around just scanning random fishies at night in Subnautica, lit only by the LED on the scanner. This game has amazing atmosphere.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

I've been doing a programming bootcamp for the last few weeks and am finally at the point where I can do some stuff on my own. I just started a side-project that will let you input what kind of game you want (genre, length, difficulty and such) and then will return a list of games you own that fit. Well, at the moment you have to manually enter your games since I don't know how to mess with the Steam API just yet, but I'll get there. It's exciting!

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Stexils posted:

hey thats cool, i did one too. what kind of bootcamp is it?

It's .Net Framework. We're still just focused on C# at the moment, though I suspect we're getting to the point where things are going to get more complicated.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Man I just got to the first big mobility upgrade the first submarine, in Subnautica. This game just got so loving good.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

I'm about 9 hours into Subnautica and it has been extreeeeemely my poo poo so far. It's so incredibly immersive and the gameplay loop makes your gradual progression from being completely lost and unprepared to dominating the environment feel totally natural. One small example, I just finished putting some grav traps down around my base. I used to have to search around for wildlife to keep myself fed, but now I can go collect the small fish being drawn in by my trap.

I think the best way to go into it is as blind as possible, there is such a rich world to discover on your own, so I won't go into details. Suffice it to say, if you're into immersive games, sci-fi games, survival games, or any combination of the 3 you should definitely check out Subnautica.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

Whats there for me, mr please crush my balls platform gamer

It's definitely on the easy side as far as platformers go, although some of the later levels ratchet things up a little.

Really it's a good platformer because it's got really clever level design that encourages you to explore for secrets. If that's something that appeals to you in platformers you'll probably like Wooly World, but if you just like challenging games it may not be for you.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

I like the Sphinx from Super Mario Land.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

I missed the Celeste talk but I wanted to mention that I am now on the Summit C-Side and the very end of that level seems nigh-impossible with the Switch joycons. I'm stubborn so I'll probably bash my head against it until I get through but it has not been pleasant.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Nate RFB posted:

All the discussion around Celeste's difficulty makes it kind of feel overly daunting. Where does it fall on the Tropical Freeze spectrum, and/or how necessary are these various B/C sides?

It's honestly not that bad. The base campaign is no issue at all, if that's all you're interested in. Getting the final level requires you to get certain collectibles, some of which are well hidden in the levels, the rest can be gotten by beating B-Sides. B-Sides and C-Sides are almost entirely optional, you can get the last level without touching a B-Side I believe.

B-Sides are tougher but they're still broken up into digestible chunks, it's mostly a matter of getting the muscle memory down.

I haven't played Tropical Freeze but Meat Boy is the obvious comparison and I haven't seen anything in Celeste that approaches the hardest stuff in Meat Boy.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

precision posted:

Ehhhh the main game is still pretty drat hard and I died a whole lot, so I wouldn't say it's "no issue at all", but yeah the truly tough stuff is all optional.

I found the difficulty with the base game came more from getting comfortable with the different mechanics. That's why, once you have been through a level's B-Side, you're so good at dealing with bubbles/bumpers/whatever that going through the base-level is a breeze.

But yeah, I died a lot in the base campaign as well. With some persistence though I think pretty much anybody could see end credits.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Nate RFB posted:

I strongly dislike it when video games have difficulty balanced so heavily on abilities or power ups that you can get but are then lost "forever" when you hit a checkpoint and die afterwards. Both of the Retro Donkey Kongs have this but in Tropical Freeze it got especially bad at times. Far too many levels would go from difficult to essentially unbeatable unless you wanted to start completely over; the final boss in the first game probably be the worst singular example because there's a nasty rocket level leading up to him with no DK barrel after the checkpoint.

Especially when you could implement a system that mitigates this buy allowing the player to use the powerups purchased from Funky within the level itself (rather than on the map). It still "punishes" the player for relying too heavily on them by making you have to spend coins to get them and one could easily lock it out of intentionally hard levels if need be.

Good point! One of the reasons I've never had much love for the older Mario games (such as Super Mario bros 3) is because the player is punished for having trouble with a level by losing all their power-ups. Now, you either have to hope you remembered a previous level where you can stock back up or hope you can suddenly do a level untouched that you previously couldn't beat with a buffer.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

I think the larger issue is if games use lives, which is thankfully becoming less and less common. I'm fine with the concept of being rewarded for skill with more power-ups, but if there's a loop of losing lives-losing powerups-losing more lives-game over, then that's really lame. Losing progress always feel bad.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Macaluso posted:

Man Celeste. I give you praise over and over and then you decide to make a section of this B-Side have both clouds and a brand new mechanic that's INCREDIBLY fiddly and really really hard to pull off

It wouldn't be so bad if you didn't first have to do the incredibly fiddly mechanic to GET to the cloud bit

edit: All the praise I give the level design the rest of the game goes right out the window with this segment. Did they get the intern to design this part? Get the gently caress out of here

Are you talking about the wall-dash? Because that mechanic is annoying at first but I really like it now. I wish more levels used it.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

The Colonel posted:

yeah i can't feel any of those issues with the controls or movement in celeste, playing on my ds4 it's felt super reliable and i figured out the dash walljump a while before it asked me to do it, so by the time i had to do it in the b-side it felt perfectly natural. the only thing that's actually pissed me off is that one block in chapter 8 b-side because the precise jump height is so fiddly

Most of the people complaining are prob on switch, which has a way worse joystick than the ds4.

Reread your post yes you're right ds4 is way better

PantsBandit fucked around with this message at Feb 22, 2018 around 06:28

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

I call them "The Geoffs" but i say it like "joff"

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Coffee is amazing. Sometimes I get really lovely sleep because I drank too much coffee, butt the next morning I'll just drink a lot more and I'm totally coolio.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

HELLBITCH posted:

Dishonored is really good if you missed it, I know I sure as hell did

I've been sitting on the Dishonored 2 dlc since the winter sale. I really want to get to it, but first I just need to beat Subnautica...

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

I just realized that Hollow Knight finally released on Switch! I'm excited, I've been looking forward to playing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Endorph posted:

on one hand, she could have just been making a very dark joke. on the other hand, still a weird joke to make, on the other hand,

https://twitter.com/PaperBatVG/stat...726160782839808

:thinking:

Goddamn, it blows my mind that there are people out there that can describe a woman as an "unruly wench" and not think "gee, I loving suck".

• Locked thread