Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

I said come in! posted:

Why is it a problem that MAME was used? Speed runners use emulators with a heavy use of save states all of the time, not to mention exploits and glitches. All of the top Super Mario speed runs for example are with exploits.

This is not speed running, and there are different categories of speedrunning that either do or do not allow for various glitches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

How are these scores verified anyway

Everything is taped and in some cases hardware is submitted for verification. The post on Twingalaxies pulls apart the recording and analyzes how the screen is rendered and it appears that his screens are being rendered by an emulator and not original hardware.

It's quite possible that all of his high scores were Tool Assisted.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

I said come in! posted:

Would anyone even care if it wasn't Billy Mitchell attached to the accusation?

Stuff like this happens a lot, it literally happened earlier this week on the Atari 2600 Dragster as pointed out above. It's a "big deal" because, yeah, it's Billy Mitchell.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

homeless snail posted:

yeah and remember that the big climactic ending of king of kong was mitchell refusing to play in public and instead submitting an extremely sketchy videotape conveniently immediately after wiebe beat his score lmao

Yeah, it felt like that episode of Seinfeld where Jerry refuses to run.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

Toad: (walking very slowly into the OR) I have a message: Princess Peach's plane...was shot down... over the Sea of Japan. It spun in... there were no survivors.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

precision posted:

this dragon warrior speedrun from agdq this year is fuckin' awesome

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bgh30BiWG58

Hell yeah it is

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

The Colonel posted:

sit and think for a moment about the fact that serious sam 3 came out seven years ago

This would mean more if Serious Sam 3 was a good game.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

al-azad posted:

If you didn't the Shadow Warrior reboot it's good. It was everything Rise of the Triad 2013 should've been.

God isn't this the truth. RotT 2013 just couldn't marry old school movement speed and modern level design. I wanted to like RotT 2013 so badly but it's just too frustrating and poorly executed to play.

Edit: Shadow Warrior 2 is pretty good, too!

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

In Training posted:

He was in Resident Evil Gaiden, which explains that canonically the Leon Kennedy from RE2 died on a cruise ship and the Leon Kennedy in RE4 is a parasitic clone manufactured by Umbrella as a sleeper agent.

I thought you were just making a joke. Boy was I wrong.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

Ciaphas posted:

So what's new and hot in PC land anyway, I've been in MH World purgatory for weeks and I've got a new monitor to put to its paces here

Kingdom Come: Deliverance. It's janky as gently caress but I can't stop playing it. The voice acting and story, at least so far, is exceptional.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

Pigbuster posted:

The Star Wars prequels are very good because they introduced the best character, Ratts Tyerell, better known as "that guy in the pod race who makes a funny noise before running into a stalactite and dying".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbY0ffM9QJs

RIP

If I could be a Star Wars character, I'd want to be some kind of Jedi. If I actually was a Star Wars character, I'd probably be that guy.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

Ciaphas posted:

what're the walmart greeters in this metaphor

Early Access survival games with crafting

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

homeless snail posted:

they were supposed to keep a look out for shoplifters lmao, but also its a friendly mom & pop face at the front door of a massive conglomerate that put mom & pop out of business

Also Walmart will usually put individuals with disabilities up front to be greeters. Disabled individuals can be paid less than minimum wage in most states, and corporations get a pretty sizeable federal (and sometimes state, too) subsidy for employing individuals with disabilities which sometime cancel out their wages entirely.

So yeah, Walmart get free labor/"security".

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

suuma posted:

What's everybody gonna play in March?

I've got to finish Ringed City and then I'll be done with DkS3 and then it's on to Monster Hunter, maybe i'll finish the Witcher 3 by the end of the year :v:

From a few pages back, but keep in mind that there is more to Ringed City than initially appears. You can blast through it in an hour, or you can spend a few hours delving into the weird semi-hidden stuff once you get to the city.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

homeless snail posted:

I ask because I'm working under the assumption that all games in 2018 are battle royale games

I was a little surprised we didn't get a Battle Royale mode in the most recent DLC pack that released this past week, but this might explain why Apocalypse's release was a wet fart. They might have scrapped a BR mode and set it aside for a sequel.

I'd play a Battle Royale battlefield, especially since it would give DICE a limited scope to focus their efforts on instead of a dozen+ game modes that get summarily abandoned a week after release - RIP Frontlines. BF4 and BF0 were both excellent despite a few boneheaded decisions out of DICE.

• Locked thread