Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«5 »
  • Locked thread
al-azad
May 28, 2009

Following Paragon's closure news, Gigantic is following after about a year in full release. If your response to this is "what is Gigantic" you're not wrong.

Also Konami is releasing an untranslated PCE game for the Wii U because Konami.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

DLC Inc posted:

what does this even mean

That it's twee.

nachos posted:

I just finished gorogoa and man this game is insane. I can see why it took 7 years even though it lasted maybe 2 hours tops.

I loved it. Every scene is burned into my memory.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I'm waiting for the PS1 nostalgia to kick into full gear so we can realize that low-poly 3D with pixel art textures is the perfect marriage.

https://twitter.com/inagearts/status/904056892435062785

Gimme an RPG that looks like a higher res Grandia or Persona 2, thanks.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Help Im Alive posted:

The next 2D Mario should look like Ghost Trick

Honestly I'm blown away by the sprite art in the Mario & Luigi games and hope that series caries onto the Switch in the same visual style.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The White Dragon posted:

https://gfycat.com/gifs/detail/CoolTornAlbertosaurus

it finally happened... i made a game where you don't have to play as the dragon. (but you can).

I don't want to meet someone who doesn't always pick a dragon if given the choice. D&D 4E is the best version for introducing dragon people as a core race.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Internet Kraken posted:

There are a lot of people on tumblr that favor art styles with no outlines, generally basic faces, and bright colors. People that use this art style also generally draw cute stuff that makes people feel good; pets being an easy and obvious example. So what I'm saying is both of those games remind me a lot of that.

Not trying to imply its bad or anything else. I actually do wanna play the Oblongs or whatever that Pokemon knockoff is called.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

And then there's me, the idiot still struggling with Demon Souls because dammit I bought the original Asian release in Singapore and I need to close this chapter of my life!

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I've been meaning to watch King of Kong but all I know of it is that Scott C did the DVD insert art which I have a print of, Billy Mitchell inspired a cheating arcade player in Regular Show, and there's an entire episode of South Park with Bono as the biggest piece of crap.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I liked people trolling darksidephil in DS1 with armor breaking weapons.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

glam rock hamhock posted:

Ah man, I turned on assist mode in Celeste to get one trophy and now my save file is forever marked saying I turned on assist mode. From what I can tell it makes no difference what so ever but still

People got legit mad that you couldn't get shining stars in Mario 3D Land if you ever touched the golden tanuki.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

glam rock hamhock posted:

It wasn't if you touched the Golden Tanooki, it was if it ever appeared in your game

git gud

al-azad
May 28, 2009

In Training posted:

I finished SH3 tonight. Weirdly it felt like Silent Hill 2, in a bad way. I loved how SH2 was just utilizing the concept of a hazy town and a empty promise to produce a brutal nightmare space. SH3 had a lot of Lore.:..also some fantastic cutscenes , and i watched some YouTube videos and you can get a Sexy Beam that OHKOs every enemy on screen so it's got a 8/10 in my book

I had mixed feelings. The game takes way too long to really get interesting and the level design is pretty awful with most areas being hallways filled with locked doors. And I know that's kind of Silent Hill's thing but they really upped the dream logic to the world design and threw in some really annoying enemies. Also a lot of instant deaths, either by cutscene or because a monster punched you into a bottomless pit.

But Heather is my favorite horror game protagonist who is both genre savvy and takes absolutely no poo poo from nobody, even going back to scare an injured man as a prank.

little brain: no pickles

big brain: pickles

galaxy brain: pickled mustard greens

al-azad
May 28, 2009

but... crimes

al-azad
May 28, 2009

al-azad
May 28, 2009

exquisite tea posted:

Setting down 10 remote mines in the same location in Goldeneye and watching as your N64 grinds to a halt to render the explosion.

Goldeneye has the best explosions because practically everything explodes and often explosions contain mini explosions.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Night in the Woods' depiction of small town religion is quite refreshing. The church as a pillar of this colonial community is evident in most people's lives but it's crumbling like everything else, not because of twisted dogma or corruption but the pettiness of people. The pastor is the one adult trying to grow the community, trying to change, while the council clings desperately to what crumbs are left.

I just didn't expect to see that in a video game.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

haveblue posted:

I don't understand how Night in the Woods takes up a DVD worth of disc space. The whole game is 2D animation against static backgrounds and unvoiced dialog trees.

The backgrounds aren't static, they're individual sprites fit together on a 3D plane to give an illusion of depth. There's thousands of individual pieces that fit together like legos.

I was curious myself though and ripped some of the games files. I don't know the specifics of Unity, but I thought this game was using some kind of in-program manipulation of 2D sprites but apparently everything is hand animated at individual frames. Like Angus' running animation, something I don't think I've seen and I'm on chapter 3, is 23 individual sprites. Bea's eyelids closing is like 11 sprites and each character can be made of a dozen or so parts pasted together with unique custom animations for weird stuff they can't just auto tween like swinging the bat.

There's literally thousands and the game was built for 1080p 60fps so you can do the math on why it's 5-ish gigabytes. The music is also about 1gb in total.

al-azad fucked around with this message at Feb 3, 2018 around 19:16

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I get excited when people mention Subnautica because I confuse it with Aquanox which is Freespace underwater... Freesea.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Well Night in the Woods sure had an ending! I uh need to step into my closet isolation chamber and ponder on it in a fetal position.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

me: oh poo poo demon souls online features going away at the end of the month now's the time to finally finish!

*get wrecked by a single rolling skeleton 30 seconds in*

Alright, 2017 backlog it is.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Okay I was making good headway into 2-1 until the game wigged the gently caress out and crashed after sounding like a skipping audio cd. Like whole walls in the geometry were disappearing and reforming like a level in Bastion.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The Colonel posted:

yeah uh

this is because the game is connected online

like literally, i had issues with the game slowly freaking out, and it only happened when it connected to the online. the times it ran fine, where when i could verify that it for whatever reason did not connect but also did not tell me. game lagging? press select to see if you can set messages for other players and yep, you can. game not lagging after several hours? whoops, looks like select does nothing

the only fix when it does happen is to just quit to title and load back in, that at least resets it

Thanks for the heads up. I just moved on to Deadly Premonition, another game I left half finished. DS will wait for now.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Phantasium posted:

I played the entirety of DeS on the digital version and never had anything like that happen to me. Is this a recent thing?

It happened to me just last night on the physical version so Iím going to say itís recent.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The Colonel posted:

well i got midway through route b of nier:automata and now it's freezing again except now it's gone from freezing after 40 minutes, to freezing after 30 minutes, and now it's taking less than 15 minutes to freeze. this is cool i can't finish the game now

it's cool that it can just. have this bug since launch and never have anybody at square enix bother to fix it

god this is like a repeat of loving deadly premonition

Are you playing on PC or consoles? Please don't jinx my Nier A or Deadly Premonition runs, I'm trying Dark Souls again offline to see if this fixes whatever bullshit is going on.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Actually Nintendo is a noun

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Meanwhile Google is happy you use it as a verb because no one in history or the future will ever say "What was the name of that song? Let me bing it."

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The Supreme Court did rule in favor of Yo-Yo being common speech which resulted in Duncan selling the company. But apparently the trademark still holds in Canada?

Weirdest ones for me are hackey sack and frisbee. If there was any serious money to be had from that market Iím positive they would lose those trademarks but until then who wants to play some foot bag?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Any Philly goons confirm if the city is a smoking party crater?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Chev posted:

I'm playing Danganronpa V3, just finished the fourth case and that was hella depressing. I love the game but it seems a lot more pessimistic than the previous two.

There's a thematic reason for that which may or may not pay off for you depending on how you feel about the series as a whole.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Demon Souls is basically unplayable online at this point. I'm playing it offline with no issues, aside from the terrible lag when environmental effects kick in.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Demon Souls makes me really appreciate how amazing the visual design work is in Bloodborne. I appreciate this games visual style as "Dungeon Master's Guide: The Video Game" but god drat is it ugly and plain looking! I have the same feelings playing it today as I did playing Kings Field Ancient City 10 years ago, just this nagging sensation that the world looks artificial and constructed out of cardboard or something.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

haveblue posted:

Bloodborne has the minor advantage of working with an order of magnitude more GPU power.

I like the Demon's Souls design just for how audaciously bizarre it is. Only the first and maybe fourth worlds could be called traditional fantasy, after that you have all kinds of disturbing weirdness.

Yeah but aesthetically it's stronger. It's basically how people describe Lovecraftian monsters except the artists really make it feel alive compared to other media which is like "we'll add some writhing tentacles in the fog." I haven't even played Bloodborne but I was captivated by the Brain of Menses or the Orphan of Kos or even Rom(?) the Vacous Spider, just these purely alien creatures with no real introduction they just exist.

Anyway, Demon Souls shares a lot with Gygax era D&D where it wasn't uncommon to go from a generic ruined castle to fighting on a giant bubble suspended over an acidic pit or discover a literal alien spaceship with ruined robots and the monsters that discovered it. I wish more fantasy got 70s weird and Miyazaki obviously loves that poo poo, I just wish the game got a modern remaster because it's really ugly.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

FF15 is largely a tease of what could've been. At the end of chapter 1 you're introduced to the rogue's gallery, all die off screen before the end.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

MGSV is also on my "finish this" list. Got through the main portions, reached the point where they recycled missions, and just gave up.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I'm going to loving die of stress fighting Flamelurker I swear to christ the pattern change up and attack boost towards the end is killing me. Every single time, a sliver of health left, every single time I get caught up in the geometry of his terrible arena and die aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Well I was being dumb and bashing my ahead against an enemy I was too under leveled to beat. Five minutes in Latria and one magic enhancing ring later and the boss crumpled like paper. Iím upset I never sat down with the game almost a decade ago, I might be coming onto the series.

Does Dark Souls have such a terrible intro? Not being able to truly level for so long and being in a linear imo boring level was the largest hurdle overall.

MechaSeinfeld posted:

are you playing on PS4? I keep seeing those RE games on sale and it's my great shame that I haven't played any RE other than 4.

You really need to play at least RE1 remake.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

What made me upset with LiS ending is that they make it out as you having only one correct choice (do nothing) when the obvious choice should be to intervene.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

That just comes from the games weird attitude towards Max's time travel powers, like it seems to want you to think they're bad and nothing good comes of them, which both comes off as weirdly punitive for a character who got them completely by accident and also probably wrong since she unearthed a crazy serial killer and stopped him.

The weird thing is that Maxís powers gives her actual agency in her life but the one situation where she can physically do something she just... doesnít and this is apparently the right choice.

Me, hiding in a closet as my friend is being murdered: It canít be helped

al-azad
May 28, 2009

All you people who saved Kate just to let her die in a hurricane are the real monsters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

If you go back and let Chloe die she kills herself anyway because doing anything with your knowledge of what's going to happen counts as time fuckery and it's hurricane time again.

Kate is at the funeral. It's literally the best scenario for everyone else.

• Locked thread
«5 »