Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Internet Kraken posted:

Another kickstarter game dead through feature creep? What a surprise.

I wonder what percentage of the failed kickstarters died because of feature creep, because I feel like it’s the vast majority of them. Devs need to learn that changing engines mid development is a god drat kiss of death, along with overdone stretch goals. I don’t care if they liked Unreal better, it’s such a bad idea to make drastic changes like that.

La Mulana 2 stuck to their premade game plan, didn’t switch away from Unity, and had simple stretch goals/rewards and they’re at final development now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Real hurthling! posted:

I love la mulana and im praying the sequel has a better way to review and compare info when trying to solve puzzles

Majoras mask for 3ds was so improved by a good notebook.

I don't think anything like that's been described in the backer updates unfortunately, though there's what seems to be a photo function on the in-game menu that hasn't been explained, so we'll see. I found a couple puzzle-related things, though:

quote:

However, the software lineup is not so similar to the one from L1. Most of all, the translation software which had a prominent position in the list is not there anymore. Also the storage size for the message recording software has been drastically increased even without an expansion. I just assumed that the user will feel it repetitive if I kept making them think "which texts should I keep...?".

quote:

In this scanning screen, you should be able to see a placemark. It doesn't explicitly say which one, but each fields have their own marks so that the users can identify which messages were found in which area. Other marks on the top-right is the "Race Mark" which can be added using new software. This mark can tell you which race wrote this tablet. Consequently, both marks can lead the players to guess where this hint can be used.

In La-Mulana1, we sorted out the positions for each hint when we remade it, but originally, we were just thinking that "we should place the hints all over the place".
Some complained that "there is no information for which hints are for which puzzles!" but still some say "this is the most fun part of LA-MULANA to combine all the hints", so it's hard for us to decide which is better.

We concluded that this time we're going to plan the locations of the hints very thoroughly, but still they will be scattered around the ruins. However, players can guide themselves using the keywords or aforesaid placemarks.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

mutata posted:

This is good practice for modular, reusable assets and it's not a mistake or anything. Reusing assets is good on resources for a variety of technical reasons (memory, disc space, texture loading, etc) and extending the base of the structures that far means the same asset will be usable no matter what is going on with the terrain where it gets placed. You can place those houses on a sloped hill, or next to a ditch or hole or hillside and the floor of the house will be above the terrain and the stairs will still be usable.

The Skyrim shelving table is good and clever for similar reasons.

Yeah, I wanted to say the same thing but couldn't put together the proper words. It's worth mentioning that Skyrim table Tweet is part of a thread about clever video game workarounds and isn't actually denigrating it. Worth reading.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
The Star Wars prequels are very good because they introduced the best character, Ratts Tyerell, better known as "that guy in the pod race who makes a funny noise before running into a stalactite and dying".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbY0ffM9QJs

RIP

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Raxivace posted:

I was happy when Trevorrow was leaving Episode 9 but could hear the monkey's paw curling off in the distance when I read that Abrams was coming back.

I hate it, the idea of a Star Wars movie as batshit as Book of Henry is so enticing. Suppose it'd probably be more on the Jurassic World side of things, though.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Cowcaster posted:

i will never quite comprehend this massive exponential boom of people wanting to watch other people play videogames for them

Most stream-watchers aren't giving up playing video games themselves or hanging out with friends, they're giving up television.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Kanfy posted:

Yeah, the voice acting definitely made that character. Cunningham's great in a very different way, but having him in the narration role for a second time in a row on an entirely different character felt a bit weird. Not that I'd have any problem listening to him narrate every game ever if it came down to it.

Royce's acting is so weird, it's like he's always talking to you over the phone rather than from across the room. That's not a bad thing, mind.

• Locked thread