Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

Apparently MHW sold 5mil in its opening weekend, holy moly.

not surprising given that Monster Hunter is practically keeping them afloat, those games always sell impossibly well. DBZ and Monster Hunter together sold like almost 8 million in January which is insanity.

Sunning posted:

This past fiscal year's been up and down for them. Monster Hunter World was a breakout hit and their Switch ports enjoyed success. However, much of the rest of their lineup underperformed or bombed. They also delayed their mobile game lineup to the second half of this year after deciding to outsource development to established mobile developers.

Capcom today reminds of where SEGA and Square-Enix were in back in 2010. During that time, these two publishers had a handful of breadwinners with most of their brands cratering in value. SEGA downsized to products that reliably made money and Square-Enix doubled down on improving the quality of their games. It also helped that these publishers had a successful mobile games division. Here's to hoping 2018 goes better for Capcom. With Monster Hunter World and SFV Arcade, they're starting to turn a corner.

if the long rumored DMC5 gets revealed this year it'll be another slamdunk, as will the Street Fighter Anniversary collection and potentially previewing the Resident Evil 2 remake project. The only big black eye is how impossibly bad the MVCInfinite release went and idk if they can salvage it.

DLC Inc fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Feb 1, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

yeah SFV improved a lot in some ways but unless you bought Arcade Edition and play other people there's nothing there for most people. Even the Arcade single player poo poo they added is garbage because the only 2 difficulties are "braindead" and "reads your every input like loving crazy." Other games like Tekken, Injustice 2, and Arcsys games have figured out how to make better CPU fights and better singleplayer content so Capcom is always playing catchup.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

lol I thought of that game too

Both competing very hard to be "Tumblr: The Game".

what does this even mean

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Yakuza 6 was delayed til April, continuing the streak of months we have to finish the big backlog

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

saying that Prey is too much like Deus Ex and System Shock is hilarious to me. Considering Harvey Smith, the co-founder of Arkane, wrote the former and was lead QA for the latter...like, of course it has those fingerprints all over it. Prey's more of System Shock though with its "one big metroidvania hub" setting and environmental side stories.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Scott Forstall posted:

I’m on board for basically anything Tom Francis does

same, and the idea of a wizard SWAT team is so crazy I'm sold already

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

pretty sure Kiryu has a sidequest in Yakuza 0 where you bang a MILF though

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

idk how people played Monster Hunter on tiny portables for years, this game feels like it was made for high def. Trying the game multiple times on 3DS and I loving hated it mainly because it looked so squished down and ugly, plus the controls were not intuitive at all. What a difference it is on PS4 because now I love it. The frames of hitboxes remind me of From Software game a lot though, in terms of how great they are.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I'm reading that some poo poo about Red Dead 2 leaked and that it will include a Battle Royale mode. If true then Playerunknown is hosed, no way their janky poo poo will hold up forever next to a Rockstar-produced version

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

plz dont pull out posted:

Granted I never played GTAV multiplayer so I have no idea how it panned out there, but since when has a Rockstar game besides Max Payne 3 have shooting that was anything but okay?

pubg is an extremely low bar to clear so maybe "okay" is passable

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

In Training posted:

This is cool, the surge was a game with a genuinely rad core combat system with kind of repetitive and boring level design. I wish these guys the best in making their sci fi Dark Souls vision get better and better

yeah that was my problem with Nioh, the level design, though the combat for Nioh/Surge was really good. Bloodborne def has the most incredible level design of any "Souls" games but if the neo-nightmare city Surge 2 is doing pans out, I would totally play it.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

peace walker is good but has the worst boss fights in the series. anytime a boss fight or "boss encounter" happened it was the worst. the last "real" boss was funny though.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

MMF Freeway posted:

I feel that I like mgs4 more than most but when it came out and was getting 10/10 flawless masterpiece ratings from every gaming media outlet I was like uhhhhhhhhhhhhh

idk what's loving worse, this or Skyward Sword getting such impossibly high praise

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Help Im Alive posted:

I thought he retired or w/e after cheating on his wife

I feel bad she decided to stay with him, like what kind of hosed up gaslighting was she a victim of. can you not do better than "loving dipshit who plays games all day"

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

imagine being married to someone like that and on top of that being cheated on by them, there's nowhere lower to go

I hope DarksydePhil wins the Trending Gamer award next

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Sometimes Kojima writes brilliant, subversive stuff.

Sometimes he writes like an edge-lord high-schooler.

Guess which basket this one falls into :(

mgs 2 and 3 were fantastic. mgs2 didn't make sense to us back then but now everything it predicted came true regarding the "drowning in a sea of halftruths and content without context." MGS3 is just a great story about the changing times and the horrors of nationalism.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I wouldn't replay Bioshock Infinite these days when Prey exists. Ken Levine wishes he could create the stuff Arkane has. Maybe I just kind of prefer the themes of morality and choice presented in Prey over Infinite. I will say I prefer Bioshock over its 2 sequels but that's also because it feels closer to the System Shock games, which in turn feels what Prey does right.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Macaluso posted:

Someone retweeted some long thread by Mark Kern where it's basically just him whining about how he was bullied for being a nerd and how it's basically bigotry similar to racism or whatever. And it's all pretty typical dumb Mark Kern nonsense. But I was curious and scanned through his timeline.

That dude is incapable of letting go that he was picked on in high school, and has turned it into a current never ending crusade of his.

he sounds like most people who have lots of followers and use their clout to complain about poo poo every loving day on Twitter. that site is literally a disease. I try not to read people or tweets like that since irl nobody really gives a gently caress about people like him, let those weirdos get mad all day because most of us have actual responsibilities or better things to read. I've always remembered how that guy who got pissed about a "women only" wonder woman screening, only to go anyway and was SO surprised that nobody tried to kill him or throw garbage at him. it was because, surprise, none of the sane people outside twitter care, at all. But he just couldn't comprehend how insignificant his epic troll was to literally everyone else.

al-azad posted:

I didn't play the RE7 DLC but what I thought was ridiculous is that Chris appropriates the Umbrella name and turns them into a anti-terrorist force under the name of the company that could've eradicated all humanity.

Chris might be the most boring protagonist in Resident Evil and MVCI deserved to fail on picking him over Leon. How do you not sub Chris for Leon. He could have had a level 3 finisher where the Merchant gives him a Chicago Typewriter and knightsuit-clad Ashley falls on the opponent

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Oxxidation posted:

I only got that feeling from Bopopolis.

Bopopolis is def one of the most palmsweat-inducing platform levels ever created. the only part of Tropical Freeze that made me grit my teeth.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

lol if you ain't using Cranky 24/7

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I loving loved Dishonored 1+2 with all my being and yet was incredibly underwhelmed by Death of the Outsider. I felt way too restricted with the powerset. While the facesteal and callback powers are neat they have nowhere near the same utility as the locomotion powers Emily and Corvo had and that soured me a lot. Felt like ghosting a lot of the game would have been waaaaay more difficult than previous games.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

How does Squeenix consistently botch re-releases so loving badly. I'm praying the World Ends With You remix is actually okay, I just want to play it on Switch and do not want tons of RPG Maker-quality poo poo all over it.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

between the Steam version being hosed and Chrono Trigger being omitted from the SNES Classic, I have zero guilt about just loading up the emulator version of CT, complete with ye olde Frog

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Andrast posted:

I'm not exactly worried since I'll still get around 60% of my previous salary as unemployment benefits for a year which is more than enough for me to live comfortably but it still feels not that great.

The job market in Finland is looking pretty good too so I'll probably find something sooner or later.

60 percent for a year? jesus, time to move to Finland

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I want to play Into The Breach but knowing it came from the FTL team makes me hesitate. That was another good game that had the tendency to just gently caress me over constantly until I lost all interest. This looks at least less random and more hands-on compared to "pick a quadrant, maybe an advanced ship completely fucks you up, game over" but I want to know how much more skill is involved over loving RNG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Seeing how badly they hosed up very basic things in the Chrono Trigger re-releases gives me extremely poo poo vibes about how FF7 Remake will turn out, when it fully releases in the next 3 or 4 years

• Locked thread