Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«2 »
  • Locked thread
Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Oh man it's time to play night in the woods again, just in time for that discussion about night in the woods!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

Iconoclasts looks like the renaissance of 2D graphics I always wanted instead of everyone going 'eh NES graphics are fine'.

You should check out konjak's other games! Dude's a really good sprite artist

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

al-azad posted:

I'm waiting for the PS1 nostalgia to kick into full gear so we can realize that low-poly 3D with pixel art textures is the perfect marriage.

https://twitter.com/inagearts/status/904056892435062785

Gimme an RPG that looks like a higher res Grandia or Persona 2, thanks.

Give me more people aping Capcom's PS1 aesthetics, especially Mega Man Legends and Breath of Fire

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Robot Wendigo posted:

I picked up MHW last night and tried to hide it from my wife and failed. She just sighed.

If I can play Xenoblade Chronicles 2 in front of my so you can play monster hunter in front of yours

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

glam rock hamhock posted:

Ah man, I turned on assist mode in Celeste to get one trophy and now my save file is forever marked saying I turned on assist mode. From what I can tell it makes no difference what so ever but still

Just make another save file!

Change the name to Radeline

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

why won't they call them pickles

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Macaluso posted:

That's true, the previous stage felt a lot more like it was giving me a story through the gameplay, with the mirror shattering and the ghost thing chasing you. And the phone call at the end was very good. The hotel has been irritating because while it's had a lot of really good and tough platforming segments, the guy running the hotel never stops talking and will halt all progression forward to do so. So I've lost a lot of interesting in the story in the hotel.

Platformers are REALLY a genre that suffers if you stop the momentum to have words going on the screen. That's something that like Tropical Freeze did exceptionally well is have each level and series of levels tell a story without a single bit of a dialogue.

You'll like the next level

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

haveblue posted:

I don't understand how Night in the Woods takes up a DVD worth of disc space. The whole game is 2D animation against static backgrounds and unvoiced dialog trees.

it's really good animation

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

And as soon as I complained about it on the internet I beat him on the next run.

This always works

it's important to take breaks, even very minor ones, when you start tilting!

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Reality Loser posted:

I find Celeste's pixel graphics and hi res menus incredibly clashing. One or the other please.

they bother me way less than in something like Shantae, and plus if the menus were pixely then the world map would clash instead

goferchan posted:

about how long is Night In The Woods, give or take? Considering grabbing it this afternoon.... haven't seen vids but it sounds like something I'd like if I enjoyed Life Is Strange and Oxenfree -- sound about right?

I spent about twenty-five hours on it according to steam, but that includes a decent chunk of time put into a totally optional minigame and just jumping all over town making sure to talk to absolutely everybody every day. And yes you'd probably dig it

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

LeafyOrb posted:

So I finished Celeste and have some thoughts.

Gameplay: While I enjoyed most of it towards the end the checkpoints seemed to get farther and farther apart while difficulty ramped way the gently caress up. The execution demanded by the late game gets a bit ridiculous and it sometimes feels like they maybe overdid it given how tight some of the levels are. Some challenges feel like they were built with a solution then they added spikes to gently caress up that solution, which doesn't always feel great. It's great if you like difficult platformers.

By the way if you're playing on Switch use a pro controller because the joycon "d-pad" hosed up my dashes a whole bunch.

Story: I like the story and the subject matter it chooses to cover, I feel that goons are over selling it a bit though. It's fine and well written but it's not very substantive. It has simple goals and achieves them but I won't being thinking about it a whole lot. The presentation and how the story ties in with the gameplay is pretty great though.

Don't use the d pad

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

FirstAidKite posted:

This chart isn't about dice specifically but it's still pretty neat.

https://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/Tho...mes_in_2017.php

But yeah, dice are cool. I like dice. I used to collect them but I left my collection back at my mother's house. I'd like to get back into collecting them again because there are a lot of weird and dumb and silly dice and I think a lot of them just look neat, even the ones that are so stupid that they don't necessarily even function as dice.

Compared to live games and mobile games and tabletop games and video games, what are games?

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Macaluso posted:

Man I wonder how much of the younger generation that hasn't played Mario 3 just got completely stumped on what to do here

This chapter has been a ton of fun platforming wise compared to the hotel, but I'm at a point where the path diverges into like 8 different directions and there's no clear indicator of which one is the "main" path and I want to find all the side strawberries first before continuing.

This chapter has a lot of very fast platforming which is a ton of fun though

edit: Also does the thing you collect here do... anything?

Gosh dang Golden Ridge is so pretty

When you're at branches, just remember that you're climbing a mountain and so generally want to move upwards

Also hearts are needed to unlock various parts of Chapter 8

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Macaluso posted:

Ah well. I got some more searching in the first chapter to do then

Someone in the thread described blue hearts as brain busters and red hearts as skill busters, and someone else laughed

Spoiler for something I wish I'd discovered myself: There are C sides with gold hearts

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

MMF Freeway posted:

Thinking I may buy Tales of Berseria since its $16 even though I have no intention of playing it anytime soon.

That's a very good price for a very good game

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Samuringa posted:

The Longest Five Minutes looks very interesting, it's like a reverse Half-Minute Hero. And it comes out...next week!?

The Lost Child is a very anime Cthulhu Mythos. Unfortunately, it's a dungeon crawler and I'm not really fond of those.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gF0hXQTKX5M

The 25th Ward: The Silver Case : Now this is completely my poo poo! I still haven't played The Silver Case but I love doing some investigating.

I don't really care about any of these but they exist:

https://twitter.com/Siliconera/stat...167776981889024

https://twitter.com/Siliconera/stat...167785580150784

https://twitter.com/Siliconera/stat...167791137665024

Something about SNK Heroines too. I think May was wearing a Cow Bikini? That's what you're getting.

I will happily buy the dinosaur biome game on switch

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Middle school. Middle school never changes

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Also FAK have you ever taken a look at Amazon Mechanical Turk? I've never used it for anything so idk but maybe?

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

glam rock hamhock posted:

Bayonetta is probably my favorite game where I kind of hate the story, characters and a good amount of the character design

Same but Binding of Isaac

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

GUI posted:

Was this your alt

why'd you save this post

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

I don't get it.

That goofy looks like something someone made in Spore though.

KH3 gonna be bad

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Mordja posted:

1) Yakuza is for console pheasants and belongs in the wastebin, you loving gently caress

2. Yakuza is set in Japan=For weaboo degenerates
S. Dogs is set in China=FOR TRU DOOM MURDERHEADS

F***k Yukuza

The true doom.murder head game is never coming out lol

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

The Colonel posted:

i love captain rainbow so much guys

no joke I appreciate all the weird funny screenshots you post

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

beards are good sorry you're wrong about this

That dude's beard is gross and needs trimming. Facial hair isn't good by default, see: the fedora

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

oddium posted:

link... he come to town

Hell yea system of a mf down

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

oddium posted:

i'm in full town crier gear clanging the big bell and yelling hm64 elli is canon

Elli is the most boring choice!!

Which edition of hm let's me smooch Gray

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Really Pants posted:

Skies of Arcadia's gameplay always just looked kind of messy to me, but the setting was great and we should have a lot more games about air pirates in general.

Giving you spells and abilities that affect specific parts of the battlefield and not letting you have any control over positioning is such a weird idea. If SoA does ever get any kind of remake (it won't) then I'd hope for a system more like something from Trails in the Sky.

But the discovery mechanic is so so good. Let me dig up weird and magical secrets across the world all day long

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

My mom gave me Skies of Arcadia for Valentine's Day fifteen years ago

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

Why did your mom give you something on Valentine's Day?

Growing up, my mom always wanted me and my brother to think of it as a holiday celebrating love in general, not specifically romantic love

The exchange of material goods doesn't really mesh but I'm not complaining

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Macaluso posted:

I'm have a lot of trouble with a new mechanic you have to do in the second level's B-side of Celeste. You have to like... jump out of the air after dashing through the space...water. But I can't consistently do it. Sometimes it seems I can do it over and over and sometimes I can't get it to work at all. How does this move work?

You've got the right idea, jumping out of the dream blocks as you jet through. The timing is pretty tight but you'll feel like a huge badass once you start nailing it consistently

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Jay Rust posted:

Discussion prompt: what’s the worst game you kinda like?

Fallout 4

They're very janky but I have a huge soft spot for the Lost Kingdoms games, From's entry into the deckbuilding genre

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Wait no I'm changing my answer to Jet Force Gemini

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

...and everyone hates it.

The thinking emoji

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

The only mechanic I was really not a fan of was the bumpers in chapter six. Those just felt so much more finicky than everything else up to that point

Conversely I loooove the dream blocks from chapter two, pump that mechanic into my veins

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Wildtortilla posted:

Every time I say this some jackass says it's only nearly perfect because the game forces you to backtrack to Flame Mammoth's stage to collect a power up. Big deal, one extra romp through a kick rear end level.

This is me getting in front of that dumb argument. As it stands, MMX is the most perfect video game.

The dash upgrade should either be in the tutorial or forced into the player's path somehow. Mega Man X is much worse if you don't start with Chill Penguin

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

It's pretty impressive how uninviting the first couple of stages in Mega Man Zero are, which is a big shame because the rest of the game is pretty cool

Grinding for weapon skills is bad tho, and grinding for energy crystals for elves is really bad tho

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Accordion Man posted:

Eww, why would just want Sonic and his friends and not all the superior non-Sonic Sega characters?

Just put Vyse in who cares about the rest

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Viewtiful Jew posted:

But man four dollars, I guess in a game like this

nooooooooo no nope no no stop no don't try to justify that nope nope nope no

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Macaluso posted:

Jesus CHRIST I am so glad to be done with this B-side

I know I'm late on this but when are you pushing jump when on a cloud?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

I've seen some people complain about the torch mechanic in chapter five, and while I get what they're saying, I think it's a really cool integration of the idea that death/failure is always teaching you something

• Locked thread
«2 »