Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i don't think there's going to be a huge difference in performance between the pc and ps4 versions of an hd rerelease of a ps2 game with a turbo button

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

MMF Freeway posted:

Main performance differences are 60fps and ultra widescreen support

oh, huh. i wonder why 60fps wasn't in the ps4 version to begin with

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
sonic adventure 2 takes up more hard drive space than a vanilla install of morrowind

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i'm a little past the start of route b in nier:automata and i'm past autumn in night of the woods and i'm not prepared for what's going to happen in either of them. help

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Sakurazuka posted:

Who's route did you do in NitW?

bea

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

haveblue posted:

I don't understand how Night in the Woods takes up a DVD worth of disc space. The whole game is 2D animation against static backgrounds and unvoiced dialog trees.

it's like 10+ hours of stuff dude it's way bigger than most games like it just in terms of content

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
https://twitter.com/dijon_dujour/status/959911136123609088

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i hope anybody playing the digital downloaded version of demon's souls on their ps3 online has better luck than i did in having the game not lag to hell for no apparent reason

online does that, to the digital version of des, for some reason. it starts off unnoticeable and slowly gets so bad it makes you wonder if your system is melting

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

al-azad posted:

Okay I was making good headway into 2-1 until the game wigged the gently caress out and crashed after sounding like a skipping audio cd. Like whole walls in the geometry were disappearing and reforming like a level in Bastion.

yeah uh

this is because the game is connected online

like literally, i had issues with the game slowly freaking out, and it only happened when it connected to the online. the times it ran fine, where when i could verify that it for whatever reason did not connect but also did not tell me. game lagging? press select to see if you can set messages for other players and yep, you can. game not lagging after several hours? whoops, looks like select does nothing

the only fix when it does happen is to just quit to title and load back in, that at least resets it

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Feb 4, 2018

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
well i got midway through route b of nier:automata and now it's freezing again except now it's gone from freezing after 40 minutes, to freezing after 30 minutes, and now it's taking less than 15 minutes to freeze. this is cool i can't finish the game now

it's cool that it can just. have this bug since launch and never have anybody at square enix bother to fix it

god this is like a repeat of loving deadly premonition

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Feb 4, 2018

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

al-azad posted:

Are you playing on PC or consoles? Please don't jinx my Nier A or Deadly Premonition runs, I'm trying Dark Souls again offline to see if this fixes whatever bullshit is going on.

pc. the pc port of deadly premonition is literally unplayable

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i tried to play bioshock 2 today. it crashed.

i'm really tired of games crashing so i'm going to try prey and hope it doesn't crash. if that doesn't work i guess i'm just going to be playing celeste forever and hoping i can at some point play nier again

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Taintrunner posted:

I put Horizon into my PS4 for the first time today and waited twenty minutes, it’s actually an actively inferior method to play games compared to PC, and should honestly be made illegal

look i'm probably never going to switch back to consoles but

i can't really completely argue against consoles when games i really like are literally rendered unplayable and will never get fixed

except when durante releases the pc ports for trails of cold steel that are really good and objectively better than the ps3 versions. i strongly urge playing them if only for the extra voice acting cause above everything else the voice acting in trails of cold steel is really great

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Feb 5, 2018

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
prey is pretty good

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Is it bad that I am contemplating getting this just so I can uninstall GOG Galaxy

can't you just leave the witcher 3 installed and uninstall galaxy

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i like demon's souls' visual style but mainly because it looks like a mid-budget berserk fangame, even moreso than the later ones

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
demon's souls is kind of uneven in some ways but i love it a lot for how experimental it is. i was kinda trudging through it until i got hiltless and suddenly the entire game became a blast because i was just carving through everything with an insanely cool-looking op gimmick weapon

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i wish des got a modern remaster so that it wasn't hosed and going to have its online shut off

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

DC Murderverse posted:

the Super Smash Bros for Wii U/3DS soundtrack is a collection of like, half of all of the greatest video game music ever

god nintendo is good.

i hope they keep hiring the lady who did the music for wild arms to remix zelda and donkey kong country themes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydpz1RSPeDs

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Feb 6, 2018

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
some day i'll play mgsv and be able to join the mgsv conversation

the bad part is i still won't be able to talk about mgs3 because the universe has conspired against my every attempt to play the mgs hd collection

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
c
o
o
l

b
o
x
a
r
t

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i think even more than the base design what makes celeste really wonderful is its aesthetic and general attitude. like the whole theme of climbing a mountain is absolutely perfect for what it's going for, the levels all being these huge themed worlds really gives off the feeling that you're climbing your way through it all, the game's calm encouraging tone that things'll be tough but you'll manage it if you keep trying and it's ok if you need to take a breaks along the way, and the way levels are built around the characters' emotional state and insecurities. it's loving brilliantly laid out in so many ways, i don't think i've been this impressed with a 2d platformer's vibrant design and creative vision since rayman origins and i'm not even halfway done with it yet. celeste rocks

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqt2v1-TEIo

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i almost beat route b of nier:automata but the trash snake before the final boss that lagged like hell in route a loving murdered the game this time and it almost froze my entire computer

i hate posting about how loving bad this port is because if it weren't for how often i have to worry about it freezing i'd honestly have no issues with the game itself. but the port. holy poo poo. prey ran better than this and didn't make me have to worry about my computer dying

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Cowcaster posted:

i'm happy to complain about a lot of things about nier but the only problem with the quality of the pc port i had was the mouse controls in the 2d sections were all screwy, did you happen to get the little graphics fix tool? i didn't even fire the game up until i had that installed so it might cure what ails you

FAR helps with performance a bit, but the freezes i've had with the game are just kind of a thing that happens and as far as i can find online nobody knows how to fix them. trash snake isn't even that though, the game's had weird hitches lately that it didn't have when i was playing through route a and he just kind of hitched it to death

like my pc isn't the greatest but the issues i've had have gone from annoying to actually infuriating, like it's somehow started running worse around midway through route b and hacking itself causes it to freeze more if i do it during more intense stuff. route a was almost totally smooth sailing outside of having to install new graphics drivers just to keep it from freezing after a half hour when i was trying to beat the prologue. it's a really bizarre port because when it works fine it seems pretty much perfect but the moment it has issues it just loving derails

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Feb 6, 2018

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i got to the celeste smb3 puzzle and i don't think i'll ever see a better meta-puzzle in any video game ever now

Jay Rust posted:

Schoolgirls? In an anime??

believe it or not, schoolgirls exist in real life and sometimes they go on to direct anime

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

GUI posted:

(I'll buy Mario when my 200GB MicroSD card arrives but I'm still not sure about Zelda since the only one I liked was ALTTP 20 years ago)

if you liked the openness of alttp breath of the wild is designed to have a similar feel to that instead of being like any of the traditional 3d ones

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Endorph posted:

life is strange isnt very well written

life is strange wants to force you into a difficult choice at the end but it forgets to write likable characters other than the one it wants you to have a dilemma over

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
arkane is more used to the system shock/thief/deus ex-y school of level design than machinegames so i trust prey to be good at that when i start playing more of it later

narratively it does definitely have an issue with just, being so much of a spiritual sequel to system shock 2 that it copies a lot of its narrative tricks and a lot of the stuff that was novel in shock's been worn out by newer games and only works in ss2 cause it executes it really well

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i'll report on before the storm when i play it through my brother's library with steam family sharing and announce whether or not i support fascism

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

The White Dragon posted:

if january pisses you off then just fuckin shoot him

you also get all the neuromods he would've given you throughout the game instantly like this

lol prey giving you the ability to just fuckin shoot everyone is what makes it sound like a good iteration on the genre

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
battlegrounds 2: the player becomes known

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
100 islands are dropped onto a player... can the player survive 100 islands

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

chumbler posted:

Starfox Battle Royale

that's just star fox assault

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i finished nier automata

i loving loved it and now i want to play all of nier and drakengard even though drakengard is probably a bad idea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Jay Rust posted:

I also played a bit more Nier Automata, and I’m really awful at it. I’m not dying too often I guess, but I am whiffing a lot and getting stun locked. This happened when I play Bayonetta too, I don’t know what to do about it because presumably lowering the difficulty setting won’t make me stop misjudging distances and missing attacks and then feeling bad whenever I get knocked down by enemies

I’ve only put about an hour and half into it but I’m feeling kinda ehh, you know?

i mean. you can just set it to easy and use the auto chips. it'll literally play the game for you if you're that bad at it and the combat isn't the sole appeal

• Locked thread