Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«3 »
  • Locked thread
Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

So I'm finally ordering an SSD after all this time. Things like slowly loading into WoW and Overwatch matches have become too much of a problem to ignore anymore. I don't have a CD drive on my computer either so I'm also getting a usb stick to install windows 7. I'm super nervous because this is the first time I have to do this kind of thing on my own, both installing windows on a new hard drive and installing a computer part at all so I'm heckin nervous about screwing something up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Scalding Coffee posted:

Very good. Even when I turned off a bunch of junk and shaved more than 2/3 the loading time on an HDD, it still doesn't compare to a 850 EVO. Did you check the PC thread for suggestions?

I didn't. I just went ahead and bought one. That one specifically too funny enough. I just now saw there's a slightly new model after the fact but I figure it can't be that big of a difference between them

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Scalding Coffee posted:

You wouldn't notice if you never got an SSD. Just as long as you got more than 240GB of storage since games are stupidly huge.

I got the 500 gig one yeah. I mean WoW alone takes up so much loving space it's ridiculous

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Cowcaster posted:

what's twee

It’s the thing with weaves on it

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Remember MLK: My Lovely Knack

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

This loving "room" right here was a pain in the rear end

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Wait did the donkey kong guy really try to sue Regular Show

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Help Im Alive posted:

Do people like the amount of dialogue in Celeste

I feel kind of bad since I like the story they're trying to tell but platformers are maybe the one genre where I just want to play the game

About halfway through the hotel (I think) right now, and I've started just skipping through the dialogue really quickly.

People say it's a good story and I'm sure it is. But I don't care about story in a platformer.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

an actual dog posted:

That's the only place with a lot of dialogue interruptions and it contrasts with the rest of the game. The story is good cause it reflects on the levels and makes them feel more like real places.

That's true, the previous stage felt a lot more like it was giving me a story through the gameplay, with the mirror shattering and the ghost thing chasing you. And the phone call at the end was very good. The hotel has been irritating because while it's had a lot of really good and tough platforming segments, the guy running the hotel never stops talking and will halt all progression forward to do so. So I've lost a lot of interesting in the story in the hotel.

Platformers are a genre that REALLY suffers if you stop the momentum to have words going on the screen. That's something that like Tropical Freeze did exceptionally well is have each level and series of levels tell a story without a single bit of a dialogue.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Sakurazuka posted:

Playing the LiS prequel is reminding me how much I hated the 'real' ending of the original and also how much I hate stories where you know the characters are doomed from the start.

Uh “real” ending? I don’t think one is considered canon more than the other

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Sakurazuka posted:

Much as I prefer the other ending you're kidding yourself if you don't think the ending they spent more than five minutes on is what the writers considered the real ending.

I mean, that's nonsense. I guess "spent more than five minutes on" is referring to the one that lasts longer but it's longer because you have a week's worth of history to re-write/tell instead of letting everything be destroyed, so it's going to be bit more involved. Neither one is more canon than the other

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Expect My Mom posted:

This discussion comes up a lot in these threads so im just gonna truncate my past points and say

if you save the town, you're a cop

I mean a way too large number of the player base of the prequel comply with David’s fascist orders to empty your pockets so I can believe that

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Endorph posted:

you keep bringing this up and i think people might comply with orders from police for reasons other than thinking that hitler was right. for instance, not wanting to get into trouble, with the police. just a thought.

He’s not a cop though, and not a security guard at that point either. He’s not even your stepdad yet!

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Finally beat the hotel in Celeste after taking FOREVER getting the strawberries during the final "boss". I had a hell of a time timing the jumping on his head to get the jump reset/height I needed each time. It felt really satisfying when I finally manage to get them.

So before going forward, I went back and decided to get all the strawberries in the first stage as well as find the B-side. I'm still missing ONE strawberry and I have no idea where it is so I have to go back and comb it again. BUT I found the B-side and decided to try out a B-side. Now THAT poo poo is challenging. As far as I can tell there's not collectables so the challenge is 100% using your skills to get to the end of the screen. It feels REALLY good to beat a screen in the B-side mode. It also taught me something I didn't realize for three stages, which is that when you run out of climbing/dashing stamina, you can still wall jump back and forth if the walls are close enough together. I thought you'd just drop and lose all energy to even do that. So it felt like I was learning a whole new skill thanks to the B-side, even though the like, 8-bit levels or whatever you wanna call them have only wall jumping, no wall climbing. There have been a ton of times where I've gotten angry and swore at the game because I died over and over trying to get a strawberry but it always feels really satisfying when you finally get it. The movement feels satisfying enough that I don't TOO often feel like I'm dying for bullshit reasons. Although I still think the game has issues with sending you in the exact direction you're trying to go, which stops the game from being a 10/10 game for me.

That challenging platforming though is . The levels are really well put together and the level design is SO on point. Another game that furthers my belief that procedural generation is a scourge upon video games. I can't WAIT to start seeing speedruns of this game

edit: Like this part! What a fun platforming challenge this particular screen was:

Macaluso fucked around with this message at Feb 7, 2018 around 14:52

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Raxivace posted:

Somebody took my fuckin' recycling bin again this morning.

Why would you steal a recycling bin? What could you possibly be doing with that?

Maybe they need to recycle things ever think of that mr selfish!!!!

edit: what's more in the spirit of recycling than using something that's not yours :headtappingmeme:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I just beat my first B-Side in Celeste and I feel very powerful IRL

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

The White Dragon posted:

not every boss in even a great game can be a winner. i mean look at the fish from the water temple in majora's mask

I haven't played SOTC since it first came out in like what... 2005? I never got past the boss with the geysers. It killed my motivation to keep going. The remaster looks like it's very pretty tho

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Found the last strawberry I was missing in the first chapter of Celeste. You're a tricky rear end bitch game

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Man I wonder how much of the younger generation that hasn't played Mario 3 just got completely stumped on what to do here

This chapter has been a ton of fun platforming wise compared to the hotel, but I'm at a point where the path diverges into like 8 different directions and there's no clear indicator of which one is the "main" path and I want to find all the side strawberries first before continuing.

This chapter has a lot of very fast platforming which is a ton of fun though

edit: Also does the thing you collect here do... anything?

Macaluso fucked around with this message at Feb 8, 2018 around 16:04

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Looper posted:

Gosh dang Golden Ridge is so pretty

When you're at branches, just remember that you're climbing a mountain and so generally want to move upwards

Also hearts are needed to unlock various parts of Chapter 8

Hmmm so this heart, which is blue, I got from the normal stage, but the other heart I have, a pink/red one I got from the first chapter’s B-Side. Are there B-Side and regular hearts or do some B-Sides award something else?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Regy Rusty posted:

Every stage has a heart. A stages are hidden and B stages are at the end. You'll need them all to play all the levels.

Ah well. I got some more searching in the first chapter to do then

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Going from the windy stage back to the first stage to look for the blue heart, I keep overshooting my dashes

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

He's literally doing the "I'm not racist some of my best friends are asian" thing. Like not ironically. How

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Intel&Sebastian posted:

People who play 5+ games deep into a game series with a running story, and also you missed the point of that post.

No we got your point about Kojima being super cool and good

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

al-azad posted:

I see you just murdered a girl so sit down and let me tell you about Beauty and the Beast. These girls are hot. Like literally supermodel hot. But they're also victims of war so it's sad. Really, really sad. Break your heart sad. This one wore a suit from the skin of her family, camouflaging herself like an octopus. So sad. But hot.

I'm fairly sure that's not how that movie goes

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Super Size Me was dumb and just made me want to eat McDonalds.

Celeste question: About the blue hearts: Without just straight up telling me where they are, is it just a matter of combing every inch of the levels and hoping to find a secret entrance or is there usually a sign that the room is around? Because the room in the fourth chapter felt like it was barely hidden at all but I can't seem to find the one in the first stage.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

goferchan posted:

The blue heart isn't necessarily in plain sight. You've probably found the room that it's in already

edit: if you do want to know where to look in chapter 1 it's the satellite dish room

See I figured that was the place so I'm on the right track but it has me totally stumped. I refuse to throw in the towel on this so quickly though!!!

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Update: I figured out the puzzle. I feel like both a loving genius and a huge idiot at the same time. 10/10

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

The “would you kindly” reveal was to me, one of the best reveals in a video game and it’s a gaming “moment” that’ll always stick with me. The other two Bioshock games were never really able to accomplish something like that again

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

codenameFANGIO posted:

figuring out what to do at the end of Portal 2 was one for me for sure

The roof opening up and revealing the moon brought such a big smile on my face. It was so good coupled with the music. Portal 2 ruled

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Someone retweeted some long thread by Mark Kern where it's basically just him whining about how he was bullied for being a nerd and how it's basically bigotry similar to racism or whatever. And it's all pretty typical dumb Mark Kern nonsense. But I was curious and scanned through his timeline.

That dude is incapable of letting go that he was picked on in high school, and has turned it into a current never ending crusade of his. And like sure maybe when he was in high school it was a bigger deal to be a nerd I guess, but is it really that common nowadays? I mean poo poo, when I was in high school (I'm 31 now) there was literally never a single time I can remember where I got picked on or made fun or whatever because I played video games and poo poo. I mean the nerds and the "cool kids" didn't really cross over all that much, but that's mostly because the cool kids were into football and school events and the nerds weren't. It was never like, a malicious or hostile thing. The interests just didn't usually allow for the two groups to really get together. I interacted with the "cool kids" every day in classes and I never got any poo poo for nerd stuff from them. And I never made an effort to like be "cooler" or whatever, I was pretty open about the dumb nerd poo poo I liked.

Anyway I don't think I've seen a major internet uh... guy, who just CAN'T get over high school more than Mark Kern

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Mordja posted:

I was bullied when I was 13/14 but me and my bully had a working relationship.

Basically he would torture me relentlessly during class, but then after school we'd play table tennis and talk about TV shows. It's a living.

I'd watch this show

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

More like PoopyUnknown's BattlePoop

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Expect My Mom posted:

I am 1000000% sure I would like Kingdom Hearts more if the Disney stuff wasn't there and it was all anime melodrama. Everything about Organization 13 and My Sanctuary is catnip to the middle school scene part of my brain, but I just was not a Disney kid

I mean there's like a hundred Final Fantasies you can play

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I finally gave up and looked up how to find the heart room in the second level of Celeste

How in the hell would I have ever thought to do that. I'm angry

Macaluso fucked around with this message at Feb 14, 2018 around 07:12

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

cheetah7071 posted:

My personal pick for Winner of Pax West 2017, Monster Prom has a release date now! (April 27th)

If the full game is anything like the demo I played at Pax it's quite possibly game of the year 2018. Competitive dating sim is an incredible genre idea and it's legitimately the funniest video game I have ever played (at least in the demo)

I dunno how much people care about this kind of thing, but Jesse Cox announced on his stream today that he's a producer on the game. He's been very invested in the game for a long time, and he, Dodger and the Beard Bros played it on his channel in like 2016. He said once they played it on the channel, he contacted them and was like "what can I do to make this game a success". I wouldn't be surprised if he's financed a bunch of it.

He ALSO announced that ProZD is voicing the principle in the game so that's also awesome.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

cheetah7071 posted:

Is that good or bad I don't recognize those names

Jesse Cox is a youtuber who people here may or may not be familiar with.

Most of you though are probably familiar with ProZD:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPUgjy-Pn-4

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Iconocloasts or Owlboy?

Celeste

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I'm have a lot of trouble with a new mechanic you have to do in the second level's B-side of Celeste. You have to like... jump out of the air after dashing through the space...water. But I can't consistently do it. Sometimes it seems I can do it over and over and sometimes I can't get it to work at all. How does this move work?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

This has been, by far, the hardest thing I've had to do in this game so far. I'd love an individual screen death counter because I'd love to see how many lives I've lost to this godforsaken part of the level. And this is only the second B-side, and I haven't even started the fifth stage yet. I am terrified of what comes later

edit: wow ya know what no, the room right after that is far more irritating

edit: Oh that was the end. I feel exhausted

Macaluso fucked around with this message at Feb 16, 2018 around 06:00

• Locked thread
«3 »