Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
It's so satisfying when you finally beat the B-sides goddamn

This probably has the record for "most deaths within the first 2 seconds of a room" in this game so far for me

edit: Also I've put about 10 hours into this game so far, I haven't even done world 5 at all yet, and I haven't finished the Pico... thing. The 8bit computer version of the main game. Is that a separate thing from the rest of the game or do you need to beat that to unlock other stuff too.

Anyway, 10 hours and counting into this little indie game is a drat good investment

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Feb 17, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Celeste makes my hands hurt and I love it

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Lmao

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Okay I'm doing the fourth level's B-Side now in Celeste, and I'm pretty far into it now. And it's the first time the game is making me feel like a lot of my deaths are the game's fault as opposed to my own fault. The bouncy cloud gimmick is WAY too finicky for how precise the particular jump it wants you to do is, and the bubble gimmick... I don't know if it's just a problem with the game as a whole or specifically with the Switch's joycons because the sensitivity or whatever of the stick just frequently doesn't cooperate and sends me off on a direction I am not trying to go. It makes the bubble gimmick REALLY frustrating cause you will just die in the same spot over and over and over and it becomes tilting, which just adds to the problem. I think for the most part the B-Sides have been brutally hard but really satisfying but the fourth B-Side is starting to frustrate me in a way that feels out of my control

edit: This particular B-Side NEVER ENDS either :psyduck:

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Feb 18, 2018

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Jesus CHRIST I am so glad to be done with this B-side

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Dipped my toes into chapter 5 of Celeste for like 15 minutes before bed. It's good poo poo. I'm back in. The previous chapter's B-Side tore me down but the new level is bringing me right back up again. Can't wait for this chapter's B-Side to make me want to die :v:

Games that are really hard like this tend to be a bit tilting so being able to just put the Switch down and pick it up again later and be at the exact spot I just left off is really nice. It brings back memories of trying to 100% Donkey Kong Country Returns on the 3DS and having to frequently put the 3DS down during particularly hard bonus levels and trying to get all the collectables for fear of snapping my 3DS in half. Celeste is good, the Switch is good

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Real hurthling! posted:

Whats there for me, mr please crush my balls platform gamer

Get 100% collectables in the bonus stages.

The stage with the giant piranha plant that chases you :suicide:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Someone who has done this stage tell me if this is the way to the next area or an optional section. This particular stage has been easily the most fun since the dashy water stage (and has a bubble mechanic that feels way better than the previous stage) BUT it comes with the problem of there being a million branching paths and I've already missed several strawberries in an earlier section because I went to the progression area instead of a side area. I just went through a ton of work to open up the path to go this way, but if it's the main story way I don't want to go there yet

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Shindragon posted:

That's to the next section. Believe me I know how you feel, Mirror Temple I had to do so many times because how many strawberries I missed.

I finally exhausted the area around there and moved on to there.

I DID just throw Theo in a crystal onto a button to open up a path to a strawberry while bouncing on the head of an enemy to get the height and he was like "now you're just showing off" and I was like hell yeah

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Feb 19, 2018

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Man Celeste, why you gotta do this to me. I was givin you so much high praise for the mirror temple and how good the B-side was after doing the horrible B-side in chapter 4... and then your chapter 5 B-side has entire sections that focus on the stupid tentacle eyeball thing and it's a constant toss up if the AI will do what you need it to do or not. The bubble gimmick in this chapter rules, the eyeball monster sucks.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Ciaphas posted:

I haven't seen one of these B-sides yet but I'm really looking forward to it

I played about half an hour earlier and I adore the aesthetic and gameplay, BUT after that time I quickly realized the dpad on the XB1 controller just wasn't gonna do

So I ordered an 8bitdo SF30 Pro and it's gonna be platformer nirvana time for ol' Ciaphas

Like for the most part, the b-sides are REALLY hard but really satisfying platforming challenges. But there are some mechanics in some parts that are just too finicky so the deaths don't feel like you are the main reason you're screwing up. It's just about the only thing that keeps this game from being perfect as a platformer to me.

edit: There's a section right after the stupid eyeball monsters where you have to throw Crystal Theo around a room, while also dashing but also you have to catch Theo midash and throw him and stuff all while using him to get the doorbell things, some of them using Theo to activate them and holy gently caress that was some of the most satisfying platforming I've ever done in this game. That felt like a real test of platforming skill and I feel triumphant in a way the eyeball monsters didn't make me feel. Wowee wowee what a well designed part of the stage drat

edit: And the room after!!! These two rooms made me feel POWERFUL

edit: And the final room holy gently caress!! THAT is some satisfying platforming

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Feb 20, 2018

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I don't think I have the platforming skills to do the no-dash strawberry in chapter 1 of Celeste :negative: Even watching someone else's video where they do it and trying to match up my placement the same I can't pull off some of the stuff required.

Also did Celeste come out in time for SGDQ because goddamn:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h57a0sdCoyc

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I love this game :toot:

:yeah: :yeah: :yeah: :yeah: :yeah: :yeah: :yeah:

edit: That dabbing bird looks VERY cool

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

The whole last segment of the "reflections" chapter in Celeste :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow:

Question for those that played it: Can you take the elevator and avoid doing that entire segment and thus not get the double jump?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Celeste question: Can I leave a B-Side, do a different chapter, and start it up again and be at the same screen or would I have to start the whole thing over?

edit: This particular screen was loving AWESOME. I died a lot but I felt triumphant as hell when I beat it:

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Feb 21, 2018

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

goferchan posted:

you will be able to start at the last checkpoint ypu reached (you'll know you reached one when you see the little signboard with a mountain on it at the beginning of a room)

Cool thanks. Of course as soon as I ask that, I get a series of really good rooms in this B-Side and I'm hyped up to do them.

The set of rooms in this particular B-Side where you are falling through the pink spikes. hooooly gently caress :discourse: That's-a some good-a level design

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Ciaphas posted:

you talking up celeste is making me angry my new controller isn't here 'til tomorrow

I wanna play now but the XB1 dpad feels bad :(

If it's any consolation, I think the Switch's joycon has contributed to plenty of my deaths. SPEAKIN O' DEATHS :toot:

That last gauntlet right before the heart room, holy gently caress. I think most of my deaths in this level were that specific room

edit: If it wasn't clear though, that B-Side might be my favorite. So much well designed and legitimately challenging platforming

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Feb 21, 2018

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Andrast posted:

Why would anyone hire people to just stand around and say hi to people?

I think it's more to deter shoplifters, under the guise of "here's a friendly face to meet you at the door". Publix, if anyone lives somewhere where they exist, bakes that into their overall customer service, uh, philosophy. The idea is that you're greeting them, and showing them that they have your attention and service whenever you need it. Which is supposed to make shop lifters be like "oh they're gonna have their eye on me too much for me to get away with this". Of course Publix does it by having literally every single person that works there do the greeting thing so it's happening in every section and aisle of the store. Walmart just has it at the front. Why they would need to hire a whole separate person for that instead of just having one of the other employees be assigned to that is beyond me though

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Nate RFB posted:

Not that many agree with me but Tropical Freeze crossed the line into "not only is this not fun, I don't feel any satisfaction from completing challenges, just profound relief."

Yeah this is crazy to me cause not only did I find the level design to be amazing, but I thought TF was quite a bit easier than the first game. Tropical Freeze would've been a perfect game in my eyes if it wasn't for the boss fights going on far too long.

Bopopolis is one of the most fun stages in the game!!

PantsBandit posted:

I haven't played Tropical Freeze but Meat Boy is the obvious comparison and I haven't seen anything in Celeste that approaches the hardest stuff in Meat Boy.

I don't like comparing it to Super Meatboy because I honestly don't think that game is well designed at all. The levels all feel very thrown together and like they saw I Wanna Be The Guy and wanted to do something similar but not so sadistic and punishing. It's fine but I wouldn't compare Celeste to it at all. I'd compare Celeste more to Ori and the Blind Forest. Aside from one being linear platformer and one being a metroidvania, they both share similar satisfying movement and level design.

I have a handful of issues with Celeste. The issue with the dashing in the wrong direction (though I don't know if that's specifically a Switch problem or not), some gimmicks are a bit too finicky to work that well for B-Sides (the clouds, the eyeball monsters) and some segments tend to overstay their welcome by lasting just a bit too long (the "boss fight" in Reflections goes on a bit too long, even though it's also one of the best segments of the game). But the stuff it gets right, the platforming when it's not dealing with the finicky stuff, the level design for MOST of the game, the music, the aesthetic, the story, all of that easily makes me give the game a break on the issues I don't like. Like some of the rooms in the chapter 6 B-Side are, straight up, some of the most well designed platforming levels I've ever seen. What an absolute blast to go through them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5DgpGx3rtw&t=78s

1:18 if it doesn't automatically take you there. That particular segment is memorable as hell to me, it was so fun and satisfying to beat it. It blew me away, as did the following segments after it where you are falling through the pink spikes.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

lets hang out posted:

I thought Celeste did a great job of ramping up at a pace that felt manageable. It doesn't throw you into the deep end until you've proven you can handle it. It's a very encouraging game.

The game is also very adamant about deaths being nothing to be ashamed of, and makes a point to say like "hey don't be discouraged by your high death count, every death is a step to beating it" (although some of the more finicky stuff kind of undermines that a bit but still)

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Nate RFB posted:

I strongly dislike it when video games have difficulty balanced so heavily on abilities or power ups that you can get but are then lost "forever" when you hit a checkpoint and die afterwards. Both of the Retro Donkey Kongs have this but in Tropical Freeze it got especially bad at times. Far too many levels would go from difficult to essentially unbeatable unless you wanted to start completely over; the final boss in the first game probably be the worst singular example because there's a nasty rocket level leading up to him with no DK barrel after the checkpoint.

Especially when you could implement a system that mitigates this buy allowing the player to use the powerups purchased from Funky within the level itself (rather than on the map). It still "punishes" the player for relying too heavily on them by making you have to spend coins to get them and one could easily lock it out of intentionally hard levels if need be.

None of this is true aside from the final boss issue. What the heck :confused:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Nate RFB posted:

Dixie's ability is the main culprit in Tropical Freeze; a ton of platforming goes from normal to nightmare if you lose her after various checkpoints.

Ok now I know you’re just trolling me

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Celeste question. Do I need to get all the gems in Chapter 7 in one go to unlock the crystal heart or can I go back later and collect the two I'm missing and then go straight to the part of that chapter with the heart? Cause I missed two of them during this chapter and it's pretty daunting to have to go back and do the entire chapter again to get those gems

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Regy Rusty posted:

You don't need to do them in one go, they're automatically saved like the other collectibles.

SICK thanks

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Real hurthling! posted:

Ori was lame. Dont compare good games to it

You’re lame

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Man the segments of the Summit B-Side where you meet up with your other part of you are top notch :discourse:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Ciaphas posted:

Are these B-Sides something I'll run into as I go? I only just finished chapter 2.

You have to unlock them by finding the cassette tapes in each level. They are hidden but they're not super hard to find.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Ciaphas posted:

Hard enough for me, I'm 20/20 on Strawberries on Chapter 1 and I have zero idea about the tape. Except for that weird satellite with the birds, still no idea wtf there.

The satellite is for another collectable. You have to figure out how to solve the puzzle there. I sat there for like 30 minutes trying to figure out just what the gently caress until I tried something and was like "this is stupid there's no way this is what it is" and then wellp. Also if you figure it out, remember that because you're gonna need to that puzzle solution for much later

As for the tape I don't remember where it is exactly but I'm pretty sure you need to break through a wall to get there

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Ciaphas posted:

Hah, damnit, thanks. As soon as you said it was obvious I went back and looked and yep, other collectable get. I'm dumb.

I assume this collectable isn't as identifyingly useless as strawberries, though.

Also found the B-Side and that's rather nasty.

The strawberries are strictly bragging rights. They don't unlock anything. The change one little thing at the end that isn't gameplay related at all. BUT I will say, getting the strawberries teaches you how to do trickier poo poo which you will absoultely use in B-Sides. You do need to hearts to unlock stuff later though. And you need the B-Sides for that because they have hearts as well (only at the end though, so you just have to beat them).

Slightly related, this chapter 7 B-Side is NO fuckin joke goddamn

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

glam rock hamhock posted:

If you'd beaten the game you wouldn't say the strawberries don't matter :colbert:

EXCUSE ME I didn't say they didn't matter, I said they didn't unlock anything. They are obviously still very important

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Man Celeste. I give you praise over and over and then you decide to make a section of this B-Side have both clouds and a brand new mechanic that's INCREDIBLY fiddly and really really hard to pull off

It wouldn't be so bad if you didn't first have to do the incredibly fiddly mechanic to GET to the cloud bit

edit: All the praise I give the level design the rest of the game goes right out the window with this segment. Did they get the intern to design this part? Get the gently caress out of here

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Feb 22, 2018

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

PantsBandit posted:

Are you talking about the wall-dash? Because that mechanic is annoying at first but I really like it now. I wish more levels used it.

The up jump wall dash thing yeah. At least in THIS particular segment it's drat near impossible for me to pull off. You can cheese it and just not do the dash and cling to the wall luckily but then you have to deal with a gauntlet of clouds in what is easily the worst designed section I have played of this game. Can I just get more Chapter 6 B-Side instead of this

edit: Also the joycon issue of not dashing in the direction I'm trying to get her to go is making this an even bigger pain in the rear end than it already is

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Feb 22, 2018

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

CHRIST. I finally did it. After like an hour and a half I've finally gotten past this segment and I am terrified to see what's next holy gently caress. I might need to take a vacation from this game for a bit before doing the core.

edit: God in heaven

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Feb 22, 2018

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Nice! I tried for a while to get that but just couldn’t make one of the jumps no matter how much I tried

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Help me out here:

What's the difference between a clear and full clear? I only have a full clear on Reflections, and I don't even have a "clear" on the Summit even though I absolutely beat the Summit and got all its collectables. I have all the collectables up to core. Unless it's also counting C-Sides but there's a separate clear thing for B-Sides so I figured C-Sides would also have that

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Man that person should've paid more for a better tattoo artist, that looks nothing like Chloe and Rachel

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Ciaphas posted:

why am i playing celeste within celeste, this is getting slightly aggravating

also ow my left thumb :(

If you're talking about the 8bit thing, you should know that that's a completely optional thing, even more so than all the other optional stuff. You don't get any collectables or anything from that game and you can also now access it anytime from the main menu. So don't feel obligated to keep doing it if you want to keep going with the main game

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

*gets through the first several rooms of the Core's B-Side*

"Man I'm getting good at this game, this B-Side isn't bad so far!"

*gets to this hell room:*

":v:"

Pigbuster posted:

Most stream-watchers aren't giving up playing video games themselves or hanging out with friends, they're giving up television.

Absolutely 100%. I watch very little actual TV anymore. I watch Steven Universe cause it's 11 minutes so it's easy to keep caught up on, and I watch Game of Thrones each year because it's a yearly thing, but beyond that I don't go TOO out of my way to watch much else. It's especially annoying to watch TV because I don't have an actual TV in my room nor do I have cable. It's all internet and you either torrent shows or watch them via some service. Which gently caress the latter one. I can watch youtube for free. Plus it's just a lot more personal with the various personalities, and there are things like Rollplay/Critical Roll that do D&D stuff that end up being far more engaging than whatever is on TV anymore

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Feb 23, 2018

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

:toot: :toot: :toot: :toot: :toot: :toot:

I gotta say, the Core B-Side wasn't anywhere close to as hard as the Summit B-Side was. There were only 3 rooms that gave me any REAL trouble (the final room with the heart was one of those cause I just couldn't time things right). The rest were pretty tense but really fun. The ones with the lava chasing you and going up and down were really cool. I also just really like the bouncing on the ice mechanic.

Do I dare step foot into C-Sides now :ohdear:

edit: Dipped my toe into the first C-Side. Beat it after 48 deaths. It helps that that particular mechanic is just really fun and easy to deal with. I'm sure I'll lose another 10000000 lives in the C-Side that is nothing but loving clouds

edit: The B AND C SIDES have golden strawberries too? what the gently caress

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Feb 23, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

that article really needs to be read because it’s even worse than our dumb gently caress president saying “movies should have ratings”

Edit: you posted in the wrong thread but it’s still worth reading cause what the heck

• Locked thread