Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Just finished the Bioshock Collection since it was on sale not long ago, they’ve all held up really well.

Almost all of it was a replay to me, but I was very, very pleasantly surprised by how good Minerva’s Den is. Really good tie in to the first two games with a touching, sad backstory.

I’m not sure if I’m ready to force myself through Burial at Sea again or not though...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Really Pants posted:

has Kojima ever done anything cool enough to make up for Quiet fondling herself in the rain

https://mobile.twitter.com/hideo_kojima_en/status/358265892175495169?lang=en

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
HELL YEAH BIOSHOCK INFINITE DISCUSSION

Having just finished it for the... third or fourth time? I really think BS:I is a great if oversimplified game and it’s really obvious that while a lot of care and effort went into it they just ended up needing to re-skin their old code. Bees turned into crows, fire power, ice power, electric power, splicers are just regular assholes with billy clubs and guns, and so on. Even Elizabeth’s powers are just “press button to use thing you’re pointing at”. It’s a little weird that they decided to CoD it up with a two gun limit, but the run button was a welcome add. The skyhook stuff, though, is really fun to use if you let it be, and the combat arena DLC shows it off way better than the main game ever has a chance to. Plus, it has exploding headshots, which I appreciate.

Mechanics aside, the story isn’t exactly great but I think it’s one of the first times a AAA game really felt like directly confronting racism and used America :911: as the bad guys for once, especially given it was basically the big release of the year. I think other games since have done it better (Mafia 3, Wolfenstein) but it was pretty bold at the time. I think people tend to forget exactly how lovely the Founders are though, what with the “totally not the KKK” crow guys torturing and executing people, giant “PROTECTING OUR RACIAL PURITY” posters, shrine to JW Booth, and all that poo poo being involved in the city and government’s official designs everywhere. The Vox might be written badly, but the Founders are complete and total shits.

There’s also waaaaay too much of the backstory hidden in Voxophones where the metaphysics and junk get explained, or at least discussed. There’s 80 of the friggin’ things, and some of them are in weird bullshit little crawl spaces. If you dig them all up there’s a ton of detail added to the world (like you’d never know about everything to do with Lady Comstock’s murder and coverup without them, or what happened with the alt universe Booker during the revolution), but they’re so easy to miss and totally skippable, which is kind of a dumb design choice. It worked for BS and BS2 because of how they were structured, most of the collectible audio logs were world building, but there’s really important plot stuff in Infinite’s.

The worker revolt stuff is handled both better and worse than I remembered, Booker may be a shithead, but Elizabeth generally calls him on being a dick, and the Comstock/Fitzroy comparison she just sort of... agrees with. Maybe they’re trying to show he’s rubbing off on her at that point, and they definitely do try to stress that this is a version of reality that she willed into existence, and the overall plot does lead to a conclusion of “everything good happens, everything bad happens, everyone’s great, everyone’s a dick, multiverse nothing matters! :lol: “ but it still is kind of... bleagh. That bit is a lot less of the overall game than I remembered though, there’s only a handful of fights with the Vox alone before Fitzroy dies and you’re back to fighting cops.

I think the 3/4 score is perfectly fair in retrospect, and overall, Bioshock 2 is the best one, especially with Minerva’s Den. Like, holy crap Minerva’s Den is good. Infinite is tons of fun, but BS2 evolved on what BS1 did where Infinite toned it all down and made it into a straight action FPS.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Oh yeah and Elizabeth is a great AI companion because she stays the hell out of the way, gives you free poo poo, and makes a :gonk: face when you mulch someone’s head. :black101:

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

In Training posted:

You're mentally insane if you think I'm gonna read all this crap about bioshock

That’s OK, I just needed to rant. Thanks for scrolling. :unsmith:

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Snuffman posted:

What's so great about Minerva's Den?

It’s short and sweet, has good environmental designs, and ramps you up to endgame levels of power in a really nice way for the length of the DLC. The story in it is also really excellent, a bit of a departure from the rest of the series, if just a bit more melancholy and personal.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Cowcaster posted:

i drank too much and stayed up to 3 just cooping in the undead settlement of dark souls so i spent the entire day watching the first season of dirk gently’s holistic detective agency now i ate some delicious chili and am getting a big cheeseburger then i accidentally posted this in the elite dangerous thread how’s everyone’s sunday going

Could be worse, I was up until 5 AM playing Knack. That was my Knack story. Thank you for reading.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Elephant Parade posted:

(also, taken on its own SPM ruled; anyone who disagrees is either a nostalgia nerd or just devoid of taste :colbert:)

Hell yes, SPM is a great game. Not a great follow up to TTYD but it’s still its own very good thing.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

...this scratched my “dumb poo poo I never knew I wanted” itch pretty hard for some reason.

Maybe I just like the mental image of Ken getting a climbing pick to the skull.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

corn in the bible posted:

There was a cool short documentary done by the America Test Kitchen people a few years back, where they tried to replicate a Victorian-era feast and had to rediscover all these things and skills that the old chefs took for granted.

E: Fanny's Last Supper. It's on Netflix iirc. Here's a trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnvg6oEl7pQ

This was a fun watch. The best bit is that they tried to find out when turtles were in season and got a response like they just asked for a hunting license for pet dogs.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Closed-Down Pizza Parlor posted:

people who pride themselves on how spicy they love their food to be and talk about how other spicy poo poo isn't all that spicy because they eat whatever the gently caress pepper are obnoxious as hell

down with food elitists

:same:

Except with beer and hops. So glad that trend stopped being the dominating force in craft brewing.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

FirstAidKite posted:

This channel makes a lot of old colonial america food dishes in the way that they would have prepared them back then. It's pretty neat.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTc2iGQUdQw
....sorry, I like their vids and I went a little overboard with the links :sweatdrop:

Oh my god those meat pies look so good. :swoon:

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Colonel, what’s a Russian botnet doing here!?

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Help Im Alive posted:

Are let's plays still big or did streaming kill them

I’ve been doing a weekly LP thing on YouTube with a buddy for about two years now and we still average somewhere in the neighborhood of 4-6 views per upload, so I think LPs are pretty dead.

Then again we also don’t advertise and it’s just something fun to do once a week. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Sakurazuka posted:

Man Agents of Mayhem is pretty sad.

'Saints Row but without the charm' is about as damning as statements get

I agree it’s disappointing, but it feels more like Crackdown mixed with Saint’s Row and watered down a bit, which is a...slightly nicer way of putting it I guess? I dunno, it’s fun and weird enough for something from a flash sale.

That and I finished Titanfall 2 and am really sad there’s no solo versus bots mode for multiplayer. :(

• Locked thread