Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Woah who bought my av? The toxx is finally over!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
stefan noesen is really good for a player that seemed to be an afterthought in anaheim.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

corn on the cop posted:

stefan noesen is really good for a player that seemed to be an afterthought in anaheim.

He might end up being an afterthought here when Gibbons gets back. Who the hell do they sit?

Assuming Maroon goes in for Stafford, Noesen would be the most likely one to come out next. I really hope it isn't Bratt, even in his 10 minutes or whatever tonight he should have had two assists.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

corn on the cop posted:

He's going to be the odd man out when Gibbons comes back, which I think is a bummer for him - he's gelled with Zajac, is solid defensively, and has chipped in nine goals.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Good problem to have I guess. If it means I never see Pietila in a Devils jersey again I'm thankful.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
Josi had five assists tonight, seems pretty decent.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Hey everyone Eric Staal had a hat trick tonight.

HE HAS 33 GOALS what in the gently caress

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I will say, as a lifetime Rangers fan, it’s very disconcerting and annoying to me how likable this current Devils team is. I suppose it helps that there’s only like 2 players left on the team from the last time the Devils and Rangers were competitive with each other.

Still, the possibility of cheering for them in the playoffs is weird

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
N: preds beat jets 6-5 on a last minute goal by Hartman

V: game was fuckin crazy good, laine-stastny-ehlers line looked unstoppable at times and stastny even got a couple points. I’m so excited for a potential playoff matchup between em

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
https://twitter.com/RealKidPoker/status/968693042818371585

Hockey Is For Everyone

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

heeheex2 posted:

N: preds beat jets 6-5 on a last minute goal by Hartman

V: game was fuckin crazy good, laine-stastny-ehlers line looked unstoppable at times and stastny even got a couple points. I’m so excited for a potential playoff matchup between em

Oh man so what are their lines now if Stastny is the 1C? gently caress they are so good. Wheeler and Schiefele on the second line?

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

Hey everyone Eric Staal had a hat trick tonight.

HE HAS 33 GOALS what in the gently caress

gently caress that goddamn rear end in a top hat

Rangers made a dumb trade for him and he played like poo poo and then pouted that he wasn't used as their top center when they had two guys playing better than him anyways. Then he hosed off and now has a career revival in Minnesota

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Levitate posted:

gently caress that goddamn rear end in a top hat

Rangers made a dumb trade for him and he played like poo poo and then pouted that he wasn't used as their top center when they had two guys playing better than him anyways. Then he hosed off and now has a career revival in Minnesota

He was the definition of invisible on the Rangers, it felt like they literally never had him on their team in the first place and still does today

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

Oh man so what are their lines now if Stastny is the 1C? gently caress they are so good. Wheeler and Schiefele on the second line?

nah that's their 3rd line lol

e: laine-stastny-ehlers i mean

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

quote:

Asked Taylor Hall whether he had a streak where he felt like this during his 80-point season with Oilers in 2013-14. Said, no because these games now are meaningful in terms of playoff race, said Oilers were a bad team that season and a lot of his points came in "garbage" games.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Hall is making me like him with the way he's ripping Edmonton for being poo poo

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
Taylor stop, he’s already dead

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

I really just cannot fathom being an Oilers fan

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Matt Zerella posted:

Dear BAS, please hold Rick tight and cherish him.

He rules. I love him already.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause

OldSenileGuy posted:

I will say, as a lifetime Rangers fan, it’s very disconcerting and annoying to me how likable this current Devils team is. I suppose it helps that there’s only like 2 players left on the team from the last time the Devils and Rangers were competitive with each other.

Still, the possibility of cheering for them in the playoffs is weird

I think about this daily. Once Brodeur was gone and Greene became the captain it became really hard for me to hate them and now I feel dirty

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Teemu Pokemon posted:

I think about this daily. Once Brodeur was gone and Greene became the captain it became really hard for me to hate them and now I feel dirty

I mean, it's really just the fact that the new owners and Shero have done everything they could have to make fans forget the old Lou/Brodeur era Devils. Elias retired and the Devils are young and prospect-oriented for the first time in decades. There's nobody on the team who you as a Rangers fan have hated for years anymore, on the ice or in their management.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
because i hate myself, i went back in every team's history to find their most recent draftee to score 70 points for them (ie, not after being traded to another team; and not a player acquired via trade/free agency). i wanted to see if anyone could have possibly done worse than the rangers in this category. years are draft years. let's find out!

ATLANTIC:

Montreal Canadiens - Tomas Plekanec (2001)
Ottawa Senators - Erik Karlsson (2008)
Boston Bruins - David Pastrnak (2014)
Toronto Maple Leafs - Nikolai Borschevsky (1992) (Auston Matthews will surely eclipse this very soon, and Marner and Nylander very well may also)
Tampa Bay Lightning - Nikita Kucherov (2011)
Florida Panthers - have never had a draftee score 70 points for them since their first year in 1993, but Trochek, Barkov, and Huberdeau all have a good shot this year.
Detroit Red Wings - Henrik Zetterberg (1999)
Buffalo Sabres - Thomas Vanek (2003)

METROPOLITAN:

Washington Capitals - Evgeny Kuznetsov (2010)
Pittsburgh Penguins - Sidney Crosby (2005)
Columbus Blue Jackets - Ryan Johansen (2010)
New York Rangers - Tony Amonte (1988)
New York Islanders - John Tavares (2009) (Mat Barzal is only 4 points away from eclipsing this)
Philadelphia Flyers - Claude Giroux (2006)
Carolina Hurricanes - Eric Staal (2003)
New Jersey Devils - Zach Parise (2003)

CENTRAL:

Nashville Predators - never happened for them since their formation in 1997
Winnipeg Jets - Mark Scheifele (2011)
Minnesota Wild - Mikko Koivu (2001)
Dallas Stars - Jamie Benn (2007)
St. Louis Blues - Vladimir Tarasenko (2010)
Colorado Avalanche - Matt Duchene (2009) (Nathan MacKinnon is about to eclipse that)
Chicago Blackhawks - Patrick Kane (2007)

PACIFIC:

Vegas Golden Knights - N/A (obviously)
San Jose Sharks - Joe Pavelski (2003)
Anaheim Ducks - Bobby Ryan (2005)
Calgary Flames - Johnny Gaudreau (2011)
Los Angeles Kings - Anze Kopitar (2005)
Edmonton Oilers - Connor McDavid (2015)
Vancouver Canucks - Ryan Kesler (2003)
Arizona Coyotes - Shane Doan (1995)

well there you have it. no one sucks at drafting and retaining elite talent quite like the new york rangers! what's cool is that while a bunch of the other teams on here that haven't done this in a significant amount of time have players currently that should have a good chance very soon (larkin on detroit, keller on arizona, some others mentioned above), the next player who seems like standing any type of chance for the rangers (filip chytil) is completely up in the air and at least a few years from there even if it does happen!

nashville, by the way, is a weird outlier in all of this. i could see arvidsson or fiala getting there for them but their entire franchise history has produced very few 70 point players by any means of acquisition and yet they've often been good and never quite terrible

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

a false posted:

because i hate myself, i went back in every team's history to find their most recent draftee to score 70 points for them (ie, not after being traded to another team; and not a player acquired via trade/free agency). i wanted to see if anyone could have possibly done worse than the rangers in this category. years are draft years. let's find out!

ATLANTIC:

Toronto Maple Leafs - Nikolai Borschevsky (1992) (Auston Matthews will surely eclipse this very soon, and Marner and Nylander very well may also)
Florida Panthers - have never had a draftee score 70 points for them since their first year in 1993, but Trochek, Barkov, and Huberdeau all have a good shot this year.

METROPOLITAN:

New York Islanders - John Tavares (2009) (Mat Barzal is only 4 points away from eclipsing this)

CENTRAL:

Colorado Avalanche - Matt Duchene (2009) (Nathan MacKinnon is about to eclipse that)

PACIFIC:

well there you have it. no one sucks at drafting and retaining elite talent quite like the new york rangers! what's cool is that while a bunch of the other teams on here that haven't done this in a significant amount of time have players currently that should have a good chance very soon (larkin on detroit, keller on arizona, some others mentioned above), the next player who seems like standing any type of chance for the rangers (filip chytil) is completely up in the air and at least a few years from there even if it does happen!

nashville, by the way, is a weird outlier in all of this. i could see arvidsson or fiala getting there for them but their entire franchise history has produced very few 70 point players by any means of acquisition and yet they've often been good and never quite terrible

Fil The Thrill is gonna buck the trend.

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

I really just cannot fathom being an Oilers fan

Imagine to have a crying Ryan Smyth as one your teams biggest moments in the last 20 years.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Matt Zerella posted:

Fil The Thrill is gonna buck the trend.

i sure loving hope so. doing this got me very angry about all the times i finally thought the rangers had drafted a real actual star player and got burned. honestly, if we were to finally for once in my lifetime draft, develop, and keep a player who is a legitimate star (lundqvist notwithstanding because goalies are different) i might even be able to stomach yet another decade of not winning a cup. i still have hope for buchnevich and i really would love chytil to pan out that way but i think going through these stats has given me ptsd and now i don't want to think about hockey again until the draft, where i will surely find yet another guy to pin my hopes on that will probably end up amounting to a 20 goal 40 point guy at best (or have his heart explode in a foreign country)

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

a false posted:

ATLANTIC:

METROPOLITAN:

CENTRAL:

PACIFIC:

:golfclap:

Boeser needs 18 points in 23 games, it's doable.

Jehde fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Feb 28, 2018

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://twitter.com/OilersNation/status/968706816388378624
:stonk:

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

oilers.gif

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
I'm pissed and overreacting but McPhee ruined the team by getting Reaves

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

corn on the cop posted:

He got hurt a lot early in his career. Good for him

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Eric Staal's going to stick around to his 40's and hit like 1300 points in his career.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Bergeron has a fractured foot and will be reevaluated in two weeks. Worried what this could mean for Boston's playoff hopes. Detroit and Florida are a mere 20 points behind them for third in the Atlantic.

Well I kind of noticed how they started the season with him on IR for their first 7-8 games and then within a few weeks of him being back and warming up some they started to turn it completely around and then he'd been red hot since like December. I would expect them to drop out of the race for 1st and 2nd in the Atlantic now and possibly open up the 3rd seed even.

Lost Season
Nov 28, 2013

Spring Break My Heart posted:

Eric Staal's going to stick around to his 40's and hit like 1300 points in his career.

He's gonna end up in the hall of fame, isn't he? He's in the triple gold club, barring injury he'll probably end up with at least 1000 points, and he has a crazy-good reputation among sportswriters.

Mike Works
Feb 26, 2003
Vancouver is reportedly hosting the 2019 draft.

I want to buy tickets to this. I'm hoping there will be some loud locals present.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom
Brooks Orpik is bad at hockey.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Lost Season posted:

He's gonna end up in the hall of fame, isn't he? He's in the triple gold club, barring injury he'll probably end up with at least 1000 points, and he has a crazy-good reputation among sportswriters.

With this career resurgence, probably.

If he doesn’t turn it around last year, no way.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Gunjin posted:

Brooks Orpik is bad at hockey.

I wouldn't go that far. He'd be perfect for a beer league team.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

a false posted:

ATLANTIC:

METROPOLITAN:

CENTRAL:

PACIFIC:

This is kinda neat.

FYI, Klingberg is on pace for 70 this year. He's really good and fun to watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
Matthews, of course, finished last season at 40-29-69.

• Locked thread