Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Suspicious posted:

Well, he can't fire himself.

He can quit, or ask to be re-assigned to scouting or putting those little urinal cake things in the pisser at the Forum

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

El Gallinero Gros posted:

putting those little urinal cake things in the pisser at the Forum

He just signed one to 2 years what more do you want?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Is that what they mean by a bag of pucks?

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

As long as they're re-signing him as a dish washer, I"m cool with it.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.

stab posted:

Season saved HAS

Deslauriers resigned for 2 years 950k aav

Phew I am so glad Bergevin is concentrating on what's important!!!!!

I'll take him. Cheaper than Mitchell was and usually looks good on the 4th line.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

I hate all of management and basically every player on this team. They don't even begin to entertain me and it's starting to grate. I can't believe how quickly this piss poor management has turned me off this franchise.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Can you imagine watching the last three years of this team and thinking "yeah what the fans want is more of the same?"

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

ThinkTank posted:

Can you imagine watching the last three years of this team and thinking "yeah what the fans want is more of the same?"

Yeah, because Ray Shero refused to fire Bylsma many years in a row. Things got better after management finally said gently caress both of them though.

The problem with the Canucks is because they're rebuilding any amount of bad decisions seems ok because the team is expected to suck anyways.

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

Ginette Reno posted:

Yeah, because Ray Shero refused to fire Bylsma many years in a row. Things got better after management finally said gently caress both of them though.

The problem with the Canucks is because they're rebuilding any amount of bad decisions seems ok because the team is expected to suck anyways.

I feel like even that's different because the penguins were competitive (at least in name only) during that stretch, instead of just abysmal like the Canucks. They also didn't make nearly as many suspect signings.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Look Around You posted:

I feel like even that's different because the penguins were competitive (at least in name only) during that stretch, instead of just abysmal like the Canucks. They also didn't make nearly as many suspect signings.

All true, but it's the same type of idiocy in terms of doubling down on what is already not working.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Is this how the Pens felt during the Dick Tarnstrom era

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Well the Canucks aren't threatening to move or go bankrupt or anything

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Is this how the Pens felt during the Dick Tarnstrom era

Yes except there's no Crosby or Malkin coming

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

ElwoodCuse posted:

Well the Canucks aren't threatening to move or go bankrupt or anything

Yeah back then I never even thought much about moves to make them competitive beyond boy I hope we really get Crosby.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

ThinkTank posted:

Honestly, I just wanted an excuse to type Dick Tarnstrom's name and bring up that he has to be one of the least likely leading scorers for a team ever

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

ThinkTank posted:

Erik Gudbranson will be the Canucks' Brian Leetch and usher in prosperity beyond your imagination. that's what you'd have to believe to keep cheering for that organization, anyway

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Honestly, I just wanted an excuse to type Dick Tarnstrom's name and bring up that he has to be one of the least likely leading scorers for a team ever

Trivia time! There are only three players from that infamous team still playing today (one still part of the Pens' organization) - Can you folks out there guess who they are?

Defenseman:
Brooks Orpik

Goalie:
MAF!

Forward:
Tom Kostopoulos in WBS

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
Ryan Malone also played in the AHL this season, but was released from his contract in December when he didn't make the Olympic team.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

corn on the cop posted:

Poor Bratt is snakebit to hell though. Can't buy a goal and he's pressing hard.

He looks a little worn out physically. They have too many people out to scratch him but I don't think a rest would be bad in his case.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

I hope the Flyers don't give up that much for a rental goalie.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

ThinkTank posted:

Ginette Reno posted:

Ginette Reno posted:

All true, but it's the same type of idiocy in terms of doubling down on what is already not working.

Maybe the better comparison with current Vancouver is to Columbus, to which the answer regarding the idiots in charge watching the product is "Yes".

I came in at the very end of the MacLean era, but did the entirety of Howson's tenure and it went something like this:
-07-08*- "Well, we're in the hunt but didn't get Brad Richards and Adam Foote has a jet gassed up at the airport, so trade he and Fedorov and throw it in."
-08-09*- "Make a bunch of trades and sign some decent guys and ride somebody named Steve Mason and holy poo poo, we got in!"
-09-10- "What do you mean we need to re-sign Manny Malhotra, Jason Williams, and/or Michael Peca? Who needs center depth when you have Steve Mason!"
-10-11*- "Ethan Moreau! That's gonna be the difference-maker! And he's half-off! We're done with free agency! And Tomas Vokoun? Pfft, trust in Steve Mason!"
-11-12- "Make a bunch of trades and sign some decent guys and ride Steve Mason and...wait, what do you mean Jeff Carter doesn't want to be here? And fire Scott Arniel before Game 41, I will hear no such thing!" (It's at this point where the fans are actively protesting outside Nationwide Arena and are being taunted by both the front office and NHL with "Look, we got the ASG!" on the jumbotron directly across from the plaza.)

(*Starred years are where the CBJ was in playoff contention at the Deadline; they only made it in 08-09).

By the time you get to the 2012 offseason, which is the "Well, I guess we'll just blow it up and hire John Davidson because Mike Priest knows dick about hockey and should stay in his business lane." stage, fan morale was at its lowest. It was only at that point where Howson became somewhat competent and brought in Foligno, Dubi/Anisimov/Erixon and, perhaps most stunningly, :cop: at highway robbery prices.

Then JD finally did what nobody else would do and fired the gently caress out of Howson and hired Jarmo partway through 2013 (who disposed of Mason) and, lo and behold, things got to where you have the not-worldbeaters-but-competitive-more-often-than-not team we've seen since.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Feb 19, 2018

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

CBJSprague24 posted:

Maybe the better comparison with current Vancouver is to Columbus, to which the answer regarding the idiots in charge watching the product is "Yes".

I came in at the very end of the MacLean era, but did the entirety of Howson's tenure and it went something like this:
-07-08- "Well, we're in the hunt but didn't get Brad Richards and Adam Foote has a jet gassed up at the airport, so trade he and Fedorov and throw it in."
-08-09- "Make a bunch of trades and sign some decent guys and ride somebody named Steve Mason and holy poo poo, we got in!"
-09-10- "What do you mean we need to re-sign Manny Malhotra, Jason Williams, and/or Michael Peca? Who needs center depth when you have Steve Mason!"
-10-11- "Ethan Moreau! That's gonna be the difference-maker! And he's half-off! We're done with free agency! And Tomas Vokoun? Pfft, trust in Steve Mason!"
-11-12- "Make a bunch of trades and sign some decent guys and ride Steve Mason and...wait, what do you mean Jeff Carter doesn't want to be here? And fire Scott Arniel before Game 41, I will hear no such thing!" (It's at this point where the fans are actively protesting outside Nationwide Arena and are being taunted by both the front office and NHL with "Look, we got the ASG!" on the jumbotron directly across from the plaza.)

By the time you get to the 2012 offseason, which is the "Well, I guess we'll just blow it up and hire John Davidson because Mike Priest knows dick about hockey and should stay in his business lane." stage, fan morale was at its lowest. It was only at that point where Howson became somewhat competent and brought in Foligno, Dubi/Anisimov/Erixon and, perhaps most stunningly, :cop: at highway robbery prices.

Then JD finally did what nobody else would do and fired the gently caress out of Howson and hired Jarmo partway through 2013 (and then Jarmo disposed of Mason) and, lo and behold, things got to where you have the not-worldbeaters-but-competitive-more-often-than-not team we've seen since.

Bob cop trade was one bad GM (Howson) finding a dumber GM (Holmgren).

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Duckman2008 posted:

It's kind of like when one dumb/unattracive person figures out they can hang out with dumber/more unattractive people to look better by comparison.

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

CBJSprague24 posted:

It's kind of like when one dumb/unattracive person figures out they can hang out with dumber/more unattractive people to look better by comparison.

*hangs out with CBJSprague24*

Heliogabalos
Apr 16, 2017
you can still key in codes for the cheapest of item (for example, celery instead of organic whatever) and no one pays any attention and it saves me a fuckton of money on organic produce

ThinkTank posted:

but I love it when Gudbranson watches an opposing team forward pass the puck, and decides to turn away from the play and lightly hit the forward. Then, recollecting himself, he looks around and by then, either his goalie is covering the puck or it's in the net, or the opposing team is setting up a play that he's vastly out of defensive position for, or (somehow) his team has recovered the puck, in which case he'll usually follow the play up ice, I mean, slowly skate to the bench for a rest. I love that about him.

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain

Duckman2008 posted:

i feel like bob for mason worked out decently well for the flyers too :shrug:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

fits posted:

i feel like bob for mason worked out decently well for the flyers too :shrug:

Bobrovsky was traded for some picks.

Mason was swapped for Leighton.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Aphrodite posted:

Bobrovsky was traded for some picks.

Mason was swapped for Leighton.

And before they had Mason they signed Bryz to a 9 year deal.
He's still on the Flyers payroll in fact.

And then I had to check and saw that Dipietro is still getting paid until 2021.

What a world.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

ThinkTank posted:

I hate all of management and basically every player on this team. They don't even begin to entertain me and it's starting to grate. I can't believe how quickly this piss poor management has turned me off this franchise.

Same, but ownership too. Hard to get excited about the future of a team when every trade is about saving Melnyk some cash. Add in Boucher refusing to play rookies during a tank season and it just gets depressing.

Just trade EK and cut me loose already

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

The Dirty Burger posted:

Same, but ownership too. Hard to get excited about the future of a team when every trade is about saving Melnyk some cash. Add in Boucher refusing to play rookies during a tank season and it just gets depressing.

Just trade EK and cut me loose already

Yeah I was gonna say. Ottawa has been a very bad team to cheer for, for a very long time. We have had some decent little runs though. Hamburgler and last year was obviously great. MacLean coached some fun hockey for a while there too. But the summer of Alfredsson leaving and Bobby Ryan coming in killed my interest in this team.

Or to go further back... firing Muckler and bringing Murray into the front office really threw a damper on my 2007 high with Ottawa.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Bob was the universe atoning for Homer fleecing Howson in the Carter trade.

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

*hangs out with CBJSprague24*

I seem to recall I'm the one who said the Pens would be fine so who's the smart one? :smug: :lol:

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Feb 20, 2018

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

triple sulk posted:

I hope the Flyers don't give up that much for a rental goalie.

I guess the issue is does Hextal value the short term more then the long term? Of course fans (me included) are absolute pains in the asses about seeing short term gains (well #theprocess excluded).

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

MazelTovCocktail posted:

I guess the issue is does Hextal value the short term more then the long term? Of course fans (me included) are absolute pains in the asses about seeing short term gains (well #theprocess excluded).

Giving up a 3rd or 4th round draft pick for a playoff appearance (or attempt to get to the playoffs) isn’t a high price. If he trades a player I wouldn’t be as big of a fan.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Duckman2008 posted:

Giving up a 3rd or 4th round draft pick for a playoff appearance (or attempt to get to the playoffs) isn’t a high price. If he trades a player I wouldn’t be as big of a fan.

That’s kind of the of the way I’m thinking too.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

the canucks are going to be a bottom five team for like five straight seasons, all of them while spending to the cap. cool

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.
Hey SenAS, join the dark (blue) side.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Stretch Marx posted:

Hey SenAS, join the dark (blue) side.

Preds changed from mostly blue to mostly yellow.

on spec
Feb 2, 2014

the talent deficit posted:

the canucks are going to be a bottom five team for like five straight seasons, all of them while spending to the cap. cool

eric gabranson :)

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Duckman2008 posted:

Preds changed from mostly blue to mostly yellow.

Pretty sure he is talking about Winnipeg, who is a cool fun team to watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

https://twitter.com/NHLFlyers/status/965757467790540800

Things are happening

• Locked thread