Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

They're not playing great, but I still want the Jackets to get in if for no other reason than to see how Bob handles another playoff series with him being eligible for an extension July 1st.

... but hoo boy, it could be ugly if they draw this newly improved Pens team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

So if I'm following this correctly, the bad and poorly run team resulted in less money coming in, so they need to spend less money on the team and make it worse, then...profit?

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!

Thufir posted:

So if I'm following this correctly, the bad and poorly run team resulted in less money coming in, so they need to spend less money on the team and make it worse, then...profit?

Eventually if you get far enough into the negatives, things flip to positive again, right?

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky

CBJSprague24 posted:

They're not playing great, but I still want the Jackets to get in if for no other reason than to see how Bob handles another playoff series with him being eligible for an extension July 1st.

... but hoo boy, it could be ugly if they draw this newly improved Pens team.

i mean, it's either that or tampa.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Posting this from the trade deadline thread:

gently caress Pittsburgh.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

I'm going to be all in against PIT starting in the first round and it's not going to make a lick of difference

At least there's always Kessel :unsmith:

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
This isn't NHL related but lol Germany beat Canada

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

corn on the cop posted:

i mean, it's either that or tampa.

I can at least live with a loss to Tampa because I like them.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
There have been rumours all season that Melnyk has a deal in place to sell the team in the offseason. If that ends up being true, I wonder if this clearing of the decks is part of that.

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:
loving Melnyk.. I swear if he trades Pageau and EK (I already know deep in my mind that Karlsson's going to like the devils or like Vegas (which would make an ez defect decision) :) )

My new games are gonna be Where Pageau and Karlsson End up!

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

September 4: Daniel Sedin: Mindset is to retire as a Vancouver Canuck

February 23: https://twitter.com/imacSportsnet/status/967140717205188608

Abandon the Canucks Before They Hurt You Again

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

I will, brother. I promise.

Pillbug
Sucks about Matthews but day-to-day means he could come back for the playoffs if they don't rush him. I think there's enough depth and space in the standings that the Leafs will be fine, we'll just see if he's ready for the playoffs or not. Also, for the love of all that is true in the world do not dress Martin. Leivo was on the practice lines, which is good.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
At least Detroit has the illusion of maybe being good again one day but boy, following Vancouver and Ottawa seems borderline abusive.

Ergo Propter Hog
Jul 21, 2014

Speaking of "how are they still employed":
https://twitter.com/Sportsnet/status/967132570063433728?ref_src=twcamp%5Ecopy%7Ctwsrc%5Eandroid%7Ctwgr%5Ecopy%7Ctwcon%5E7090%7Ctwterm%5E2

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Yeah gently caress the biggest emerging market in the world.

Meanwhile, more than 750 million people in China watching the NBA last year.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

I think he's referring to the Twins possibly retiring. I could see them going back to Sweden for the last few years of their careers.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Definitely posturing for the CBA now.

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!

i am the bird posted:

At least Detroit has the illusion of maybe being good again one day but boy, following Vancouver and Ottawa seems borderline abusive.

The Sens could have treated this as a chance to retool, they have the best defenseman in the league and some good forwards. But no, Melnyk has no money so blow it all to hell

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

iospace posted:

Definitely posturing for the CBA now.

Also posturing for NBC to GTFO in 2021 when the contract ends.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Chad Sexington posted:

Probably only made the NBA about $14 though.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS

xzzy posted:

Excited for the NHL to sign an exclusive rights deal with *spins wheel* ...TruTV?

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

xzzy posted:

No other channel bid on the NHL rights when they can available. The NHL is desperate to keep NBC happy because there's a decent chance that happens again in a couple years.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Chad Sexington posted:

Maybe he will deny it but did you read the part how Bettman said Adam Silver told him the NBA would "absolutely not" go to the Olympics if it was during their season?

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
that's such a Lou Lam deal with the second team eating cap before trading him again

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Hot Take

I think Karlsson's weirdo foot surgery is an underlooked factor and I would want a really good look at his medicals before trading for him

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Hot Take

I think Karlsson's weirdo foot surgery is an underlooked factor and I would want a really good look at his medicals before trading for him

Medical screening is a standard part of all trades, and has caused some to be reversed even days later.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

ThinkTank posted:

No other channel bid on the NHL rights when they can available. The NHL is desperate to keep NBC happy because there's a decent chance that happens again in a couple years.

Yeah, so desperate they didn't send any NHL players to the 2018 olympics despite NBC being mega salty about it.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
I never once heard nbc be salty about it.....?

(Doesn't mean it didn't happen, obviously)

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Duke Chin posted:

I never once heard nbc be salty about it.....?

(Doesn't mean it didn't happen, obviously)

there was this: https://nypost.com/2017/09/23/nhls-decision-to-skip-olympics-leads-to-tv-embarrassment/

quote:

the NHL nevertheless will go dark across all NBC platforms between Feb. 7-26, during the Games. Last season, NBC and NBCSN combined to telecast 20 NHL games over the comparable period.

there's probably more reputable sources

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah, don't have much of a source. I think I read it in N/V but it was like a twitter link few months ago about how internally NBC was real mad.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

NBC walked that back. They and NBCSN have had games during the Olympics

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

i am the bird posted:

Excited for the NHL to sign an exclusive rights deal with *spins wheel* ...TruTV?

i think they were legit in the mix last time the contract came up

also nbcsn hasn't aired any nhl games the past couple of weeks

https://twitter.com/KeithOlbermann/status/967190271992713216

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Vertical Lime posted:

i think they were legit in the mix last time the contract came up

also nbcsn hasn't aired any nhl games the past couple of weeks

https://twitter.com/KeithOlbermann/status/967190271992713216

gently caress off Keith

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

wedgewood on waivers. huh

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
I’m sure NBC is mad but they probably weren’t showing the NHL games because all their hockey people are in Korea.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Thufir posted:

I’m sure NBC is mad but they probably weren’t showing the NHL games because all their hockey people are in Korea.

Flyers/Rangers was on NBC just last weekend. They still have guys stateside.

E: Also look at this awesome poo poo the fish are doing, yall

https://twitter.com/ToledoWalleye/status/967125912155176961

https://twitter.com/ToledoWalleye/status/967183668799246336

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Two-Face and the Riddler?

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
Move the Senators to Quebec already.

Or Hamilton :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

This Brassard trade is a mystery wrapped in an enigma and covered in what I hope is poo poo for Sens fans.

• Locked thread