Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«2 »
  • Locked thread
Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

He's the best mindfuck yet

I really enjoy Neuvirth complaining about being sick after getting lit up by his former team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

A comprehensive list of worthwhile mainstream hockey journalists:

Bob McKenzie
Elliotte Friedman

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Itíd be nice if the real Nick Backstrom returned. Dude is having a bad season.

Also Ovie owns and lol that I said Iíd consider trading him after last season.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

eXXon posted:

For the same reason as Matt Martin played on Auston Matthews' wing a few times, and to a lesser extent Tom "gently caress you Tom Wilson" Wilson ran shotgun with Ovie.

Iím not a big Tom Wilson fan but he actually meshes with Ovechkin (the WOWY confirms this) and he has a respectable 21 points so far this season. Heís also their third best possession player and legit one of their best defensive forwards.

Heís still dirty but heís coming around with his hockey skills this season.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

I'd like Nash on the Capitals because they are in dire need of depth scoring and defensive forwards/PKers. However I don't really think they have the assets to part with to make a deal make sense from NYR's point of view.

Same thing with McDonagh.

Mind_Taker fucked around with this message at Feb 5, 2018 around 16:42

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

If only there were a competent young left handed defenseman that the Capitals could have kept instead of trotting Orpik's corpse out there 20 minutes a night.

edit: also lolling at how you can pinpoint exactly when Carlson was unburdened from Orpik.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Grabner is another guy the Capitals should take a look at because Washington is a slow as poo poo team and they could use a speedy dude like that.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Gunjin posted:

Trotz has the Caps playing some stupid poo poo system that has them giving up a ton of shots, and every time Brooks Orpik hits the ice it's like a loving feeding frenzy for the other team. If it weren't for Ovechkin and Holtby we'd be talking lottery instead of leading the Metro.

Yeah I have no idea what Trotz is doing this year. They lost some good players but there is no reason they should go from one of the best to one of the worst defensive teams in the league in one season.

I wish I was good at identifying Xs and Os because things just look...different. Even good players like Niskanen, Oshie, and Backstrom seem lost this year (on top of Orpik still being garbage).

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

My theory is the Penguins series broke Trotz and now heís trying to get his team outshot every game because hey, it worked for Pittsburgh!

Mind_Taker fucked around with this message at Feb 7, 2018 around 21:38

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Itís going to rule when the two best teams in the East meet in the second round again this postseason. What a swell playoff format the NHL has.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Furnaceface posted:

Boston and Tampa?

Yes

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Even though the Capitals are likely going to go through the same thing soon it makes me smile to see the Rangers collapsing.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

The Bruins are really good and possibly better than Tampa, but I'm not sure they'll be a better team once the Lightning acquire Karlsson and/or McDonagh.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Cool now the Caps just need to jettison Orpik.

Aye Doc posted:

idk why in god's name you are giving lars eller 5 years, or why teams see a dude riding a hot streak and go "let's sign him up before it's too late!" they just gave him 3 more years than they needed to because he's got 6 goals and 11 points in his last 13 games with a 4 game goal streak in there

Heís pretty good though. Like itís not a great deal but the Capitals have like zero center prospects so if they are going to compete for the next few years itís kinda just the cost of doing business.

Mind_Taker fucked around with this message at Feb 10, 2018 around 17:41

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

High ankle sprains blow. I think most athletes agree itís probably just better to break your ankle.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Caps got shelled by the loving Red Wings in the second period before score effectsíing their way into an OT loss.

This is a one and done playoff team and Iím guessing the Penguins are going to catch them for the division as well. I know it seems weird to be complaining about a division leading team but their underlying play sucks for such a talented team and itís abundantly clear that they have no shot against the Penguins, Lightning, or the Bruins.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Ginette Reno posted:

It's bizarre to see. They went from 4th last year in CF to currently 23rd. Did Trotz change the system or something? I know they lost some depth but that's a severe drop.

Oddly enough for all the talk of fatigue the Pens have been a dominant possession team this year. Currently 6th. Still going to be hard to catch the Caps if they don't start winning on the road a little more though. They're a dominant home team but have somewhat struggled away from Pittsburgh this year.

They play a weird man to man defense at 5v5 which I thought most teams reserve for 4v4 and 3v3 play and I donít really recall them chasing so much in the defensive zone last year. I thought most teams play a zone-ish defense at 5v5 but Iím honestly not very well-versed in hockey Xs and Os.

Orpik stinks and is getting way too many minutes. But that doesnít fully explain it either because Alzner stunk last season and they were still able to cope. Losing Schmidt hurts but it shouldnít hurt that much.

I dunno I feel like Trotz has lost the room even though they are still winning for the most part. They make a few neat individual plays but they arenít cohesive at all, especially defensively. They donít look motivated and their breakouts stink. And Trotzís only response is to treat his young players like children and bench Burakovsky or Vrana, or throw his lines into a blender. Djoos should be getting top 4 minutes over Orpik at the very least bit Trotz just canít get away from olí Brooksie. Again, that wonít solve everything but the fact that he canít limit Orpikís minutes despite the team getting caved in while heís on the ice shows that he really doesnít have a pulse on the game.

Mind_Taker fucked around with this message at Feb 12, 2018 around 00:11

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Jason Chimera. Dude only has 2 goals on one of the highest scoring teams in the league and I honestly forgot about him after he left Washington.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Just saw Trotz is scratching Vrana in favor of Chiasson tonight. I am disappointed but not surprised. Trotz ainít very bright.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Did Ottawa...win a trade?

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

ThinkTank posted:

I wouldn't go that far, they gave up the best player in it, but they didn't immediately lose I guess?

Thatís quite the indictment of the other pieces if Phaneuf is the best player in a trade.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

ThinkTank posted:

Two abject spare parts, one washed up scorer and a washed up defenceman. It's hardly a blockbuster except for the salaries involved.

I just donít get it from LAís perspective. Ottawa saves money so it makes sense for them given their stupid constraints, but does LA really need a bad defenseman and a sub-replacement level forward? Their defense is already fine and they need scoring.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Letís check in on TJ Oshie:

https://twitter.com/stringhama/stat...526091472986112

Only 7 more years left on his contract.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Please. Fire the Trotz.

Edit: apparently itís the fatherís trip too. Wonder if the Caps dads just got trashed at the second intermission.

Edit 2: https://twitter.com/ikhurshudyan/st...083337814691840

I guess some fans were being racist assholes to DSP

Mind_Taker fucked around with this message at Feb 18, 2018 around 04:44

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Chad Sexington posted:

He's an LD right? Why do I feel like he's going to bench Djoos now and still give Orpik 20 minutes a night?

Itíd be like the Shattenkirk trade all over again where they sat Schmidt instead of the dudes Shattenkirk was actually better than (Orpik and Alzner). So I echo your feeling.

Also there is some speculation the Capitals are going to make another move before the deadline.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Ginette Reno posted:

Karlsson is great and all but I don't see how a trade happens for him mid season. Cap space is too big a hurdle.

Teams really should be going after him now, especially teams like Pittsburgh or Tampa Bay who could get two shots at a Cup with him instead of just one if he gets traded in the offseason and the team that gets him doesn't re-sign him.

Edit: ^^ and yeah Vegas makes a ton of sense too.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Ginette Reno posted:

If Karlsson does get traded I do hope it is to Vegas. That'd be awesome. He'd instantly be the guy there.

A Schmidt-Karlsson pairing would be a beautiful thing to watch and I want this to happen.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Washington waived Taylor Chorney for anyone who needs defenseman who's no good at everything, yet is still probably better than Brooks Orpik.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

Nice to see holtby in playoff form early

Yeah Holtby has been kinda bad this year. The Capitals defense hasnít been doing him any favors so his GAA is going to suck, but it doesnít really explain his .909 save percentage which would be the worst of his career.

Aside from Ovechkin and like Tom Wilson (seriously), this team looks like garbage night in and night out. They should have fired Trotz months ago but Ovie has put the team on his back. So many others have been underperforming or just plain suck: Backstrom, Oshie, Burakovsky, Niskanen, Holtby, Orpik, the entire 4th line.

At some point the blame has to fall on the coach. It looks like Oatesí tenure with the lovely transition game and laughable defensive zone coverage.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

See ya Chorney. You stank but at least you didn't see the ice very much.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

https://twitter.com/Capitals/status/966361790992060418

What's a Jakub Jerabek?

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Caps twitter floating the idea that all of these small trades for left handed defensemen are a precursor to dumping Orpik. Please be true.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

ElwoodCuse posted:

What, in the Potomac?

Sounds good to me.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

That Russian team would get shithoused in the NHL.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

T-Bone posted:

What makes you think that? I think they'd struggle with the small ice but given enough practice the talent is there.

He'd be similar to what Radulov is.

The defense looks terrible, no real forward depth, and questionable goaltending. Maybe shithoused isnít accurate but they donít look close to a playoff team.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

glynnenstein posted:

You weren't really so wrong. Orpik was much better last year. Maybe even verging on good. His CF% was 51.5!

It's 42.9 this year.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

corn on the cop posted:

6 years for josh bailey

Seems like a bad idea, unless it's a precondition for keeping Tavares.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

glynnenstein posted:

2009 Kneed Gleason (which also injured Ovie) 2 games
2010 Boarded Campbell 2 games
2012 Charged Michalek 3 games
2016 Skipped All-Star game 1 game

He missed 2 games to visit his grandfather before he died in 2008, but I don't remember where the other 2 games to add up to 12 come in.

He was a healthy scratch in 2015 for a game as punishment because he overslept and missed practice. He was also healthy scratched the final game in 2016 because they had the presidents trophy wrapped up and Trotz decided to rest every important player.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Hey the Capitals were blown out again by a mediocre team and it could have been worse than 5-1.

Thereís no deadline for hiring new coaches right? Fire Trotz. Replace him with like Daryl Sutter or some poo poo I donít care.

Also my Stanley Cup this year is Ovie hitting 50 goals and winning the Rocket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

• Locked thread
«2 »