Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

I think I speak for everyone when I say

gently caress Corey Perry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

I honestly thought Dido was done as an NHLer 5 years ago, I can’t believe he’s in a top 6 somewhere

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

The Leafs have played 5 games in the last 8 days, I’m not super surprised that they’ve been bottled up against the Bruins and Preds in the second half of that stretch.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

I think it’s possible that the draft for Seattle/Team 32 under the same rules might not be quite as favourable as Vegas had it, if only because they benefitted from some cap and roster crunches that have since been alleviated (by Vegas). It might take a little while for GMs to screw up their rosters bad enough to give away guys like Fleury/Neal/Schmidt again.

Or good players could always be available because GMs are idiots and nobody does talent evaluation well, whatever.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

I can’t believe that someone traded for Phaneuf in 2018. Or that the Leafs got out of that deal without retaining salary (gently caress Dave Nonis forever still).

Also is this the time of year that the Sabres start playing spoiler really well and giving their fans false hope, while the players and media spout endless quotes about how important these wins are for the team without realizing what a hard self-own that is?

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Nobody’s trading a competent defender in this NHL for the Leafs scratches, especially knowing they have a winger jam. The Leafs need an upgrade on D but their avenues for getting one are slim and they’ll have to give more to make it happen.

The rentals out there are pretty brutal, best they can hope for is poaching a guy with term from a team starting the rebuild (like, oh, McDonagh) but with like their 1st and Brown + mid pick/prospects. Anybody that thinks they’re moving Nylander/Marner is dreaming though.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Matt Zerella posted:

Rumor has it Boston is hot to trot for McD but LOL at that package offer for him that you threw out there.

My personal opinion is he gets moved at the draft.

I mean I don’t actually think that’d get the deal done but he’s a 1 year UFA and most people overestimate what their stars are gonna get back, so prepare yourself. Hamonic cost a few picks and he was in a much better contract/career position than McD last year.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Matt Zerella posted:

The rangers can retain, giving you a legit first paring D who can eat 25+ a night against top lines and might find his offense again in a non-poo poo AV system for under 3m of a cap hit. There's nothing to prepare for, someone will pay, we might just have to wait for the draft.

I don’t think cap hit is the issue, I just don’t see a team that publicly declared a rebuild to the entire league having a lot of patience or leverage in negotiations, and I doubt any playoff contender is going to give anything resembling a decent roster player for a 28 year-old with one year to UFA on pace for 4 goals. Contenders pay in futures, not guys who contribute. But good luck, hope some GM is dumb enough to rebuild the Rangers for them.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

DuhSal posted:

There's always Bozak and JVR too (JVR being the more attractive piece). Not sure if they do that though.

I don’t think there’s any way the Leafs deal those guys, and they have no value to a rebuild anyway. They’re non-assets if the Leafs have decided to go for it, at least on the trade market.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

I think it’s more that Boston’s March schedule is actually pretty tough from a rest/travel perspective but that inevitable dip would totally get blamed on their trade acquisitions and that would kill the magic/chemistry so I’m down no matter what.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Levitate posted:

Hamonic isn't near the defenseman McDonagh is

I don't think the Leafs would be smart to trade for McDonagh honestly because I don't think they're a real contender this year or next but I don't think people can just go down their roster/prospect list and go "eh this guy is alright but we can live without him so let's throw him into the deal and say it's good enough"

If the Leafs want some help on D for a rental they could look at Holden who would cost them a pick or so. He's actually solid enough if you're not trying to rely on him as a top pairing guy (or pairing him with Marc Staal)

This is always the same poo poo with fans when talking about a trade for a big player. No one wants to give up anything of value and they rationalize how they can offer poo poo and no that's really actually a good deal and blah blah

The Leafs are in a weird spot because it’s hard to imagine adding yet another mid-level guy to a pack of 4-5 mid-level guys as an improvement, it’s just deck chairs past a certain point, but at the same time they’re not in a spot where going for it is imperative. Personally I think the best move is just to let Tampa and Boston’s top guys age out a little bit and make a move later but the future’s so hazy it’s a gamble, I don’t mind making a push but they’re too future-oriented to move a lot of guys.

Whatever you think of the market, no playoff team is going to cripple their actual roster for a glorified rental and nobody’s given me an example of a different scenario. McD’s value is going to be in futures no matter who trades for him, and if the Rags hold on to him to the draft and a team gets one playoff run out of him instead of two he’ll be worth less, not more.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

El Gallinero Gros posted:

The Leafs have 25MM of cap space at the end of the year, I'm sure they can upgrade somewhat with that, even with guys they plan to re-sign factored in

The FA market kinda sucks though. Plus if Lou is still the GM you just know they’re gonna sign some old bastard over 35.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

I don’t mean to say the Rangers won’t get much, just that I expect the return to be more towards picks and guys on the cusp as opposed to outright young stars/contributors.

I have no doubt that dude’s gonna get a package of picks and prospects but to me someone like Sergachev for a 28 year old who walks next year is crazy.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

I’m sorry, canucks fans

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Jake Gardiner’s broken, I would now like to trade two firsts, Liljegren, and any one (1) winger for Ryan McDonagh.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Bye Sosh, you weren’t as good as people thought you’d be after your first 10 games but you were cool I guess.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

A 4th rounder is pretty good for a guy who’ll be 27 this year and has a ceiling of 4th line winger, for sure. Leafs were over a barrel a bit with his out clause and their roster/contract crunch, getting anything is a win.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Technetium posted:

He's probably going to be surprisingly decent as a bottom 6 guy I think if he can ever get ahead of his injuries. He was lights out in the AHL this year.

We’ll see, he really tore it up but he’s had limited action and he wasn’t particularly impressive last year. I’m bullish on the guy but yeah, he has tools.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Technetium posted:

27? He's 24 and won't be 25 til next season.

My bad, I misread hockeyDB. I don’t know that he necessarily has a lot of room to grow regardless

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Zodijackylite posted:

Dido is a guy who I learned of when looking at who Gaborik was replacing in the lineup. He made the NHL last year at age 27, and has ten points this year, four of them on the power play.

Looks like he got replaced by Zombie Marian Gaborik!

I remember when Dido was a Leafs fan favourite prospect, years and years ago. Good on him for recovering and making it after breaking his thigh early on in junior.

Technetium posted:

Not so much grow but I'd love to see him play in the NHL for any length of time without his head exploding.

Agreed, good or bad he was a fun player to watch when he had his speed up.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

I feel like Hextall doesn’t get nearly enough crap for the Schenn trade, dude has 55 points in 60 games this year. Lehtera has 3 in 40. Like, in what world was that deal defensible.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Basically everyone had figured Schenn had plateaued as a mid-50s scoring shutdown guy. Two 1sts is pretty good for that.

Nobody could have predicted St. Louis has the good HGH.

I guess I’m a little biased because the 27th pick last year didn’t seem very exciting by that point in the draft, but I was more thinking about how it looks like mismanagement to move a guy at a good age with decent contract status and then see him explode.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Waive Leo Komarov

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Lou would never make a move as bold as trading for Karlsson, he’d much rather bleed picks for role players that leave after first round exits and sign Karlsson when he’s old and busted.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

I had no idea Eric Fehr was still under contract with the Leafs.

Also why would anybody trade for Eric Fehr in 2018.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

The Glendening talk reminds me of how all the Wings fans were talking about how the Leafs were for sure going to sign Abdelkader too and how’d that go.

I don’t really understand why people in the org are so down on Moore, or how swapping around 4th line centres would have any real impact on this roster, but it seems pretty inevitable that they get another body in and I just hope they don’t give up too much.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Drunk Canuck posted:

https://twitter.com/mirtle/status/966145843731554304

I'm starting to think Komarov and Kapanen are going to be the 4th line wingers here on out.

We’re just about at optimal forward lines, ideally Komarov would go away for Leivo but that’ll never happen so

Now they just need Polak to break his leg again and they’ll be set

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Between Mark Fraser and Roman Polak the Leafs are actually 2 for 2 in post-lockout playoffs where the biggest pylon on the team suffered some kind of horrific late-season injury, forcing the coach to ice a better lineup.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Luckily the Leafs can’t possibly fall out of their playoff spot, but if he misses more than a month then that’s the season. Only bright side would be maybe Lou wouldn’t be a buyer at the deadline if he’s out.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

The other side effect of the Matthews injury is it has idiot Leafs fans (aka most of them) up in arms about how Martin should be in the lineup for “protection” which is still possibly the stupidest concept in hockey

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Unless they get claimed, it saves them nothing.

Well, against the cap it saves them about a mil per, in cash it saves nothing. Of course, cash is what the Sens care about so yeah, they’re hoping for a claim

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Like, there’s no winger on the Bruins roster who’s likely worse than the ghost of Brian Gionta, right? He’s not actually upgrading anyone?

• Locked thread