Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

wut

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Yeah, in today's NHL 50ish points is solidly top-6, maybe even first line depending on the roster.

And if they're a good PK guy, which isn't unheard of for top 6 guys (I say this to a Boston fan, lol), even better. Is Hischier defensively responsible? Rich man's Michael Grabner isn't bad ceiling.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Twin Cinema posted:

The Ottawa Senators were so bad when I was a kid, and because I didn't know any better, I actually thought Jamie Baker was a good hockey player. I don't even know why he sticks out in my mind, considering he only played on season with the team.

I am glad Vegas has some actual good players.

If you played the NHL game where he played with the Sens, that's probably why. He was a monster in those games because his backhand was deadly.

Video games have fooled me into thinking a guy was really good more than once

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

stab posted:

And shawn chambers was the worst hockey player ever according to my video gaming youth iirc

There was a dude who played for San Jose named Rob Gaudreau who those games decided was a Neely level sniper, some weird poo poo. I guess they figured fans of the team had to depend on SOMEBODY for goals.

Mike Strahan once used his awful rating on his first Madden appearance (39) to motivate himself to get better. Had a pretty drat good career.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

stab posted:

To be fair Gaudreau did score at a .75ppg his rookie year

Chambers had a rating of 1

ONE

Jesus I remember Chambers but he was never that bad, he should have been like a 70 or so, he's a fine bottom pairing guy

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
You guys think Veleno might have similar success to what Barzal is doing?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I think the real consternation Bruins fans should have is giving away Dougie Hamilton for the right to reach for Senyshyn, he's not doing so hot in the AHL, you could have had Debrusk AND Barzal

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I see Gallagher acted like a petulant child regarding PK Subban tonight

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.bos...DMZ4NO/amp.html

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I've definitely heard the amish thing before. George Carlin also wrote in his book about how when when his mom (who he loathed for arrogant and bigoted she was) and her sister were on the bus, they'd use "huns" as code for Jewish people. Coded racism's been around a long time.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Don't these take forever to heal properly?

If there were any doubt the Sabres would be sellers at the deadline, it's erased now. O'reilly, Kane and Ristolainen are gone I bet. Fallin' for Dahlin!

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Right so I just looked up the standings and feel silly, I though Buffalo was set to pick like, #5 or 6, apparently they're #2 already, although I can still see them offering up Kane and O'Reilly to cut salary and acquire further picks

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

bizarre deformity posted:

They'll probably trade Kane but O'Reilly is a stretch and there's no chance at all they will trade Risto. I hope they get rid of Lehner though I seriously hate that guy. He's easy to trick and not very athletic; when he gets out of position he always has trouble getting back and gives up tons of goals that way. He's mediocre at best and the Sabres need to fix their dismal defense and goaltending situation if they ever want to actually compete.

I don't understand keeping Lehner at all. Then again it's not like they have any goaltending prospects I'm aware of.

You're probably right about Risto, but apparently people have been sniffing around for Gorges. I guess if you've got cap space or bad D he'd be an upgrade but it seems like a less than stellar move. I could see Pominville being gone. Why do you think O'Reilly stays? Relative youth and decent production?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

bizarre deformity posted:

O'Reilly has great chemistry with the other players, is pretty consistent with his production, and is their best face off guy. I consider him part of the core of the team and would be shocked if they decided to ditch him, unless the return were stellar.

I've never thought Gorges was very good and recently I've noticed his mistakes a lot more often. Pominville is a cool dude but he isn't worth anything so I doubt anyone is going to go through the trouble of trying to get him specifically. Plus the team made a big deal about bringing him back and Buffalo loves him. I guess they could throw him in as a second piece in a trade but again I doubt that would appeal to anyone.

Linus Ulmark is in goal for the Amerks and he has been pretty good when they have called him up. I think he is gonna be good once he has enough experience. That's it for goalies though. Idk maybe if the Sabres dump Lehner and play Ulmark full time and then get Casey Mittelstadt and Brendan Guhle up full time they might be better next season???

What are they looking at for cap space? Let's operate assuming they're able to unload Kane for picks and ELC's. Although I'd imagine Buffalo isn't a huge UFA destination...

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Apparently the Flames are interested in both Patches and Grabner. Burke's made it clear they're not giving up picks though since so much of their draft is hamstrung by the Hamonic trade, so my guess is they're giving up Backlund plus whatever prospects people are interested in, hopefully we get to keep one of either Gillies and Valimaki

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Zodijackylite posted:

Is it Sergey Zborovskiy or Hubert Labrie? Those are both real players on the Wolf Pack

Rangers system is depleted at defense - Hartford has 6 D, Greenville has 5 and has two guys on loan from the SPHL. One of those guys is listed as D/F and his statline in the ECHL is 26GP, 0G, 1A, 60PIM.

Hubert Labrie sounds like one of those dudes who put up middling numbers for the Habs during the Original Six Era and made the Hall despite having numbers that are like, sub-Horcoff

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

abuse culture. posted:

People make fun of ‘grit and heart’ and poo poo but you can get away with so much clutching and grabbing in the playoffs that it made Roman Polak look like an effective player. That kind of no skill high minutes defenceman might be more valuable in the playoffs than a 3rd/4th line skill guy who will get completely erased.

If Phaneuf were playing for Polak's price tag, or at least close to it, that would be an easier sell. But he only has 10 more points despite making 7MM, Polak makes 1.1 MM and is a UFA.

I would, no joke, rather have Polak. And I think he stinks.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
The Leafs have 25MM of cap space at the end of the year, I'm sure they can upgrade somewhat with that, even with guys they plan to re-sign factored in. De Haan's available, Carlson's available, and there are also less impactful guys who are still improvements over what they have like Barberio, Cole, Hamhuis, etc.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Feb 14, 2018

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
For all we know he ate a ding dong and it's not doing his stomach any favours.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I know the initial shine has worn off of him, but what would Pens fans think of Girgensons as a pickup? It's not like Buffalo has done poo poo with him. Probably low cost, too.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

T-Bone posted:

Hall set the Devils point streak record tonight (16 games).

Team's gonna be tough if they get some scoring depth in the offseaosn, and they have a lot of capspace

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Co-sign. When I found out why Eddie struggled so much, I felt sorta bad for him, because it sounds like he took a coach, someone who ideally has his best interests in mind, at his word that switching a style would help him and it almost killed his career, because he wanted to be a team player. Hope this is the first step in him getting it together.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Suspicious posted:

Well, he can't fire himself.

He can quit, or ask to be re-assigned to scouting or putting those little urinal cake things in the pisser at the Forum

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Is this how the Pens felt during the Dick Tarnstrom era

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

ThinkTank posted:

Yes except there's no Crosby or Malkin coming

Honestly, I just wanted an excuse to type Dick Tarnstrom's name and bring up that he has to be one of the least likely leading scorers for a team ever

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Sens fans do you take the "Hoffman to CGY" rumours serious, or should I ignore based on it being a Garrioch special?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

eXXon posted:

What does your heart tell you?

My experience tells me so but

1)The team is run by possibly the cheapest, shittiest man in all of hockey ownership who is rumoured to be cutting salary and being more hands on than usual
2) He is not a smart man, either
3) Even bad beat guys get it right once in a while, broken clock twice a day, blind squirrel, etc.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Feb 20, 2018

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I mean, as much as Ranger fans justifiably complain about their lot, at least people want some of the guys NYR are planning to get rid of, and you only have 2-3 bad contracts, Detroit is practically staffed exclusively by bad contracts AND the team hates each other (apparently).

I could see Detroit being a bottom 5 team in the league for 5-6 years if they don't let go of Holland soon. Feels weird to type, since so much of my formative years were spent watching Detroit CSKA murder the league

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Feb 20, 2018

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Neodoomium posted:

They're going to be bottom five for five years regardless because of all of those albatross contracts.

I just want a different person around to clean up that mess in five years instead of piling more trash atop it.

I think the best way to do it is deal veteran assets with the drek. Like, yeah, you can have Gustav Nyquist....you're also taking DeKeyser. I know a lot of these guys have NTC's but I bet they'll waive them in a heartbeat to get off this sinking ship. If you get lots of picks back, it should be okay. If you go into a draft with like 12-13 picks, even a 25 or 33 percent hit rate's gonna help a bunch

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

AsInHowe posted:

Maybe Dennis has some brothers or cousins

Dennis Cholowski

I ain't expect hockey players to be supermodels, given the physical nature of their profession, but holy gently caress on toasted rye is that kid ugly

Also did he flunk out of school that he went to St.Cloud State and then ended up back in the WHL? Or is his 12 pts in 36 games even worse than it sounds?

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Feb 20, 2018

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
If taking Ryan is a condition I wonder if the Devils don't just wait it out, since they have an absurd amount of cap space at seasons end

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
The Leafs are a better place to be in every way. They can pay more, they're more competitive, bigger media market. Plus if Karlsson is mad at Melnyk, what better way to stick a knife in him than sign with the Sens' biggest rival?

I know it's trendy and easy to mock the Leafs but it's simply a reality that right now, they're an intriguing landing spot for some folks. Not to the point Toronto media makes it out to be; Stamkos probably never considered going there. But I could see Tavares at least using them as a bargaining chip, though, and they'll probably get at least one big ticket UFA this offseason.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

CBJSprague24 posted:

Seth Jones is wearing an A with Foligno out of the lineup tonight.

Aaron Portzline says Boston, Toronto, and Washington may be in on JMFJ and that the CBJ kicked the tires on Duchene, Turris, and Derek Stepan in the offseason.

Bet they're glad Duchene didn't end up there.

Are Duchene's struggles system based? Like would he become better if he ended up in Dallas or something?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

CBJSprague24 posted:

Corey Tropp would score like 3 goals a year but one of them was always highlight reel. Sometimes, they didn't even count!:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j78KBUU7J9g
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPFBggoCjho

This reminds me of how Raphael Diaz scored one of the prettiest goals I've ever seen despite being, y'know, Raphael Diaz

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnXEiFQ86TQ

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Stretch Marx posted:

The Hamilton Bullfrogs

With mascot "Jeremiah"!

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

The Maple Leafs have acquired Tomas Plekanec and Kyle Baun from the Canadiens in exchange for Rinat Valiev, Kerby Rychel and a second round pick in 2018.

A player named Baun playing for the Leafs? It'll never work out.

Kinda sounds like the only thing of value Toronto gave up was the pick, really. Two failed prospects AND 50% retention as well makes it sound as though Montreal got fleeced.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
https://twitter.com/SunGarrioch/status/967807306699362305

Cross post

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
For some reason Calgary signed Cody Goloubef to a 2 way, he was already playing for Stockton

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

He's gonna pull a Pelle Lindbergh and break Flyers' fans hearts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

ALL OF THE OLD DUFFERS

• Locked thread