Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

February- SJ/@NYI, WSH, @WSH/NJ, @NYI/@TOR, PHI, PIT, @NJ, @PHI, CHI, WSH. Those separated by slashes are back-to-backs.

We fixin' to find out what the CBJ are/can really be made of. :shepicide:

Hockles posted:

I'm not a fan of this Demolition Man remake.

Think of it this way, though. They can thaw him out the next time the Pens suck and boom, in-his-prime Phil Kessel is ready to carry them to glory!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

N: Chris Johnston from Sportsnet is suggesting Rick Nash back to Columbus could be a thing at or before the deadline.

V: If there's one thing the CBJ aren't doing right now, it's scoring goals and he's good at that so :shrug:.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

quote:

The 11-hour bus ride without food on Day 1. The six-hour overnight trip on Day 2. The eight-hour overnight trip on Day 3.

Players in hoodies unloading buses and setting up dressing rooms in the dead of the night, shivering from the cold and hunger.

Struggling to breathe on a bus where you could literally see the diesel fumes in the air, seeping through the vents.

Jesus Christ: https://theathletic.com/206515/2018/02/02/in-one-my-four-insane-days-trapped-in-minor-hockey-hell-with-the-brampton-beast/

I'm glad to see MAF has still found new and inexplicable ways of keeping pucks out of nets and "HOW?" wasn't just a 2016-17 Stanley Cup Playoffs thing.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZQtVkWBzRo

Things I learned:
- There’s something called the Elite Ice Hockey League
- its head of DOPS is an affable British gent
- assaulting a fan gets you suspended in the EIHL, but not that suspended

Biznasty and Jason Williams played in the EIHL for a couple years. I think there have been a couple other random NHLers and a few punchmen who have wound up there for a bit only to come back to the US.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

hifi posted:

welsh gretzky put up 19 points in 10 games

He outpaced Williams, who was more of a scorer (14 in 11 games). Brian McGrattan played with Williams in Nottingham.

Other NHLers in England last year: Patrick Bourdeleau, Derek Walser, Jim Vandermeer, Jay Rosehill, Richard Jackman, Jared Staal

Looking at random profiles, it's mostly where AHLers and ECHLers go to die because they're not good enough for Germany/Sweden/Switzerland/the KHL.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

https://twitter.com/treed1919/status/959130069313744896

I don't want to see Artemi Panarin in a scrap but I kind of do to see if he just loses his mind and starts curbstomping the hell out of some shithead because he forgets where he is. He somehow gets Tom Wilson to the ground and forgets the fight's supposed to be over at that point, for example.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Jackets need to...uhh...unfuck themselves quickly. Fortuitous simultaneous division opponent losses will only get you so far.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

https://twitter.com/markscheig/status/959938942865993730

I haven't seen that from any Columbus media, but we're going to get Nash/Dubi II, Metro Boogaloo, aren't we?

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Flyers lost in a shootout and Pittsburgh and Columbus said "hold my beer". The Rangers are about to outdo them all.

The Islanders didn't look very convincing in their win, either.

Riding on the Metroooooo...

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Thufir posted:

The marginal cost of one extra person in the arena is probably pretty low, so in the short run it's probably than the seat being vacant.

I got to the last Dayton Bombers game (2009) I would get to go to midway through the 1st period because my class ended at 7pm. I walked up to one of the doors (the ticket windows had closed by that point) to get somebody's attention to buy a ticket and the guy, who was wearing a suit and tie holding a walkie talkie (assumed to be game ops), just waved me in. They didn't bother selling a ticket, just saying "Yeah, go grab a seat".

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

What does Georges Laraque think of the Super Bowl?

https://twitter.com/Donjuicy/status/960353144927653889

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

What would the asking price for Nash be for a rental? Prospect and/or pick?

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

I have a hard time imagining Nash getting traded within the Metro, and maybe even Eastern Conference, given how NHL GMs seem to work.

DJExile posted:

Yeah this part I really can't see, partly because the whole "never trade in the division" thing, partly also because I can't see anyone with the space for him.

Matt Zerella posted:

I think the No Metro idea only apples to Zucc or McD. Everyone else is on an expiring contract.

Columbus trades Derick Brassard, Derek Dorsett, John Moore, and a pick to NYR for Marian Gaborik, Blake Parlett, and a pick
Columbus trades Steve Mason to Philadelphia for Michael Leighton and a 3rd
Columbus trades RJ Umberger to Philadelphia for Scott Hartnell
Carolina trades Eric Staal to NYR for stuff.

The first two were while Columbus was still in the West but it was known they were moving East, but you get the idea.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Oh wow, this is kinda relevant again:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Te9FaX_lz_8

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

I'm tempted to amend my "they who slump last out of the Metro miss the playoffs" theory and make it "they who slump the least make the Wild Card" but literally as I type those words I look at the standings and see the only team in the Division whose last 10 isn't 5-5-0 or worse is Pittsburgh so :iiam:.

NHL N/V February: All Our Teams Suck

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

https://twitter.com/NHLGIFs/status/961070308865314816

Aw man. :smith:

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

I watched that game, dreamt the goal was overturned and the CBJ won in OT, woke up, and drove 30 minutes through White Death to get to work, so I'm a little on edge, but I literally don't know what the gently caress to think about the CBJ. They've played alright but couldn't score to save their lives, then they did last night when it was badly needed, and then pissed it away (though, maybe it's the universe evening out because there were 2-3 games they shouldn't have gotten a point and won earlier this year).

And through it all, after losing the cushion they built up by having the bye, only playing a spotty schedule in January at times (like 3 games in 14 days in one stretch), and going 0-3-1 since the All-Star break that they've only lost two spots in the division and are still in a playoff spot. Plus, the PP's at like 30% since the start of January but the PK might as well have :cop: move over to allow them to score to allow extra time to try and get it back and :psyboom:.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

The Kings retained 50% of Jeff Zatkoff's salary from the trade a few weeks ago to Columbus.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Mind_Taker posted:

It’s going to rule when the two best teams in the East meet in the second round again this postseason. What a swell playoff format the NHL has.

I for one am looking forward to another first-round bye for the Penguins before they meet the Caps in the second round again. Good job, Gary.

I'm also looking forward to my team somehow finding a way to third so they can lose to (probably) Pittsburgh (again). That's more a commentary on the desire for some variety which might result from the old format than it is having to face the same team for the third time in a row.

On that note, let's go get Nash and Brassard and go full nostalgia trip, Jarmo. We need goals.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Rangers media availability:

https://www.facebook.com/nyrangers/videos/10155534931089858/

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Levitate posted:

I'm like 90% sure this is going to be something boring like a "state of the team address" where they say "we're sorry they suck"

but you never know could be something exciting

e: random guy in a puffy coat walking in front of the camera

"Hey guys, we're just gonna answer questions you might have" is apparently what this is.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

This all sounds like bracing the fan base for a painful throwing in of the towel starting right now.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Slappy Pappy posted:

I love all the angry face emojis flying across the FB live feed.

I'd like to think the Haha faces are from those in the New York area of the Devils and Islanders persuasions.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

https://twitter.com/frank_seravalli/status/961671077155016707

Gorton just answered a question about how far they're going to strip it down and he was non-committal in response.

a false posted:

starting now? they've won 3 regulation games in their last 20

I hadn't seen the Rags for a while prior to last night.

e- Sather's handkerchief, from a distance, looked like airline pilot wings.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

i am the bird posted:

I think the Toronto approach to their [latest] rebuild has gotten a lot of good press. Hockey writers/commentators love talking about Babcock, in particular, saying hard times were coming. It’s not surprising to see NYR follow in their footsteps by helping their fans brace for short term pain in the name of greater good.

Maybe I’m more impressed than I should be because Detroit should’ve done this the second Lidstrom retired.

We didn't get that in Columbus. It was "The team that was supposed to be good sucks", "Jeff Carter hates it here", "Nash wants out", "Jeff Carter abruptly stopped signing autographs at an STH event and walked out when he got the call", (Protest Howson and Priest outside the arena), "They traded Nash for what?".

It worked out in the end, though, and much quicker than we thought. They've been good more often than not, which is more than can be said for the first 11 years.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Ginette Reno posted:

*Jim Rutherford strokes beard he doesn't have thoughtfully*

He needs to channel the Jedi energy he had a couple years ago to get Miller and Nieves for Reaves and a 2025 7th.

Rob Scuderi for Trevor Daley get the gently caress out of here.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Pierre LeBrun is suggesting the CBJ can get a late 1st for JMFJ and wonders if they may immediately flip that 1st with other pieces for a forward.

Darren Dreger apparently says Tampa may willing to spend a 1st on JMFJ or Mike Green.

Let's do it. :getin:

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Matt Zerella posted:

The metro has been garbage lately and they have 2 regulation wins in the last 18 or 19 games. Even if they make it in, they're first round fodder and I'm glad they're selling.

To emphasize this point, I think Pittsburgh is the only team over .500 in the last 10.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Jeff Zatkoff will back :cop: up versus Washington tonight.

I'm wondering if he was acquired not only for depth but to allow Korpisalo more playing time by sending him to the AHL.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

My team sucks rear end.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

The Jackets found the goals and are using them to kick the Devils' heads in.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

I'd be a lot more pissed about this had they lost.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

CBJ potted six on 51 shots last night and I still don't know what to think of this team or what they'll do at the deadline. It's almost like the dilemma OSU had in college football this year: as a fan, do you hope to get in the playoffs to feel good about it and risk getting flattened in the first round or do you hope to miss and take a chance at the lottery?

The difference in the analogies is there's no consolation game the CBJ could play as OSU did and won.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

a false posted:

fire av... and replace him with someone who wont ruin the tank until the end of the season

Scott Arniel won 11 of 41 games last time out as a head coach...

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Their first home preseason game against the Kings wasn't anything terribly outlandish, but was a really good time and also showed the promise for what might be to come. The crowd ate all of it up and game ops was feeling out what might work.. I'd love to go back to bandwagon the Knights.

I think one of the things I enjoy the most is, as others have said, they're a team of second and third liners not unlike the 2013 lockout year Columbus team, which was essentially a band of cast-offs who almost got in.

Unrelated, 7 of 8 Metro teams have held a playoff spot in the last 24 hours, with the 8th one point out. Philadelphia is somehow third now. :psyduck:

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Feb 12, 2018

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

https://twitter.com/PierreVLeBrun/status/963044152635154433

Alrighty.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

It was Chris Kelly for me.

A bunch of the old Thrashers would be the current ones. I have trouble remembering Bryan Little plays in the league.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

ThinkTank posted:

Scottie Upshall too. Apparently he's been playing for the Blues the last three seasons. Looking at his career stats I genuinely can't remember him playing for any team since the Coyotes and that was 7 years ago.

Upshall did a stint with the CBJ in 2010-11 when Howson decided to be a buyer at the deadline and picked him up with Sami Lepisto for Rusty Klesla and Dane Byers (e- CBJ were like 3 points out of a playoff spot, for context). I thought he'd been acquired a second time in the summer of 2014 until I swiped open the alert I got from the NHL app and saw it was Scott Hartnell.

Useless fun fact- he's one of a handful of players I traded for/acquired in an EA NHL game only to have them actually wind up on the real CBJ later. Nathan Paetsch, Scott Harrington, and Jussi Jokinen are the others.

hifi posted:

the coyotes traded for chimera during the lockout and traded him before the lockout ended

He was traded to Columbus and, at one point, had some sort of iron man streak in terms of consecutive games played for the team. He was later traded to Washington for Chris Clark and Milan Jurcina.

Jurcina was traded back to Washington like two months later.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Feb 13, 2018

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Damnit Flyers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Wamsutta posted:

I'd laugh forever if the Rangers put out that stupid letter and then trade literally nobody, or maybe just unload some random goober AHLers and call it good

Or if they make the playoffs somehow. That would be gold given the warning letter.

• Locked thread