Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
i have been summoned

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Levitate posted:

He seemed like he thought he needed to do more than just play the same simple game that got him signed and instead tries to make the difficult play time and time again.

oh hey it's that thing I said last march

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

that'll happen when you trade all your draft picks away for erik coles and david legwands

I'm finally glad they passed on Chychryn and any number of defensemen they could've taken instead of Rasmussen, it would've been torture watching them systematically destroy all of their potential

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

I like that the narrative is that his game fell off a cliff and not the entire career's worth of sample size that shows that he skates well enough to look pretty good for random 20 game stretches and then goes back to thinking he's bobby goddam orr and whoops he just tried to skate through 3 dudes to throw a 120 ft stretch pass and turned it over at the top of the circle again

y'all gave the rob schremp of defensemen 17 mil and now you have buyer's remorse ho hum

Teemu Pokemon fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Feb 8, 2018

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

and jeff gorton and glen sather run my second favorite team so maybe I'm just supposed to roll around in poo poo for the rest of my life go perds

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

clean ayers act posted:

For real though, the second I heard Johnson had requested a trade I just assumed Holland was gonna make an offer.
It's weird because Holland actually did a decent job managing the transition from the Yzerman-Shanahan era to the Daysyuk-Zetterberg era, in addition to dealing with the imposition of the cap. But ever since about 2010 his decisions have been awful

If only every GM could transition from two hall of famers he didn't draft to two hall of famers he didn't draft

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

alas ken holland's secret genius of spending to the cap on a 14th place team reveals itself

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

I grew up on Long Island and I've known about the Monday thing since high school disclaimer: long island is super loving racist

I've also heard "feb" as in February as in Black History Month. Racists think they are clever but they aren't

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

happy valentines day I wrote you a poem

roses are red
sunflowers are bigger
the canadian media
thinks PKs a

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

i am the bird posted:

I hope they wait until Seattle’s team exists so I can officially denounce the Detroit franchise and declare my new devotion to the *spins wheel* ...Sasquatch?

Go Squatchies.

:same:

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Stretch Marx posted:

I still think the Seattle Skiddattle should be put up for consideration.

SEATTLE BATTLE CATTLE

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

FBS posted:

They can give out Seattle Battle Cattle Rattles for playoff-game atmosphere.

This is starting to take off

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

I'm actually super down with Seattle basically bringing the Seals back

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Friendly reminder that this is the second consecutive trade that Ken Holland got a lesser return than the Sens got for Curtis Lazar

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

$10 says the Flyers tender Mrzaek and trade him for more than they gave up

Krime posted:

I've been living a fantasy where the Pens get Zetterberg for 3C and the Wings eat as much salary as possible.

have you considered penetrating yourself with something rusted

e:

Neodoomium posted:

Oh and he decided to give Tomas Tatar 5.3 until 2021, but without a NTC.

wait what

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Neodoomium posted:

Frans Nielsen, 5.25 until 2022 (37) with a NMC
Gus Nyquist, 4.75 until 2019 (30) with a NTC
Darren Helm, 3.85 until 2021 (34) with a NTC

I will literally die on a hill holding a sign that says that these aren't actually that bad (but still not perfect) without the rest of them but by god seeing them all laid out like that is some loving hurtful poo poo

And you didn't even include Kronwall

e: I would've included Jensen but obviously he's on the fast track to Lashoffland so his dollars don't count (Holland will give him a 3x3.5 bridge)

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Kronwall was already starting to get slow then and really even if that was a good deal, Holland was still the one who put all his eggs in the Suter basket and didn't have a suitable Rafalski replacement pan in house but still committed a bunch of money to a dude you could already see turning into an anthropomorphized chin-attacking glacier

Neodoomium posted:

Jonathan Ericsson
Jakub Kindl
Kyle Quincey
Brendan Smith
Brian Lashoff
Ian White
Infant Dan DeKeyser
Whoever The gently caress Kent Huskins Is
Carlo Colaiacovo

pls stop doing this or at least put it in spoilers tia

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Mrazek is good I wouldn't be surprised if that pick were a 2nd but I know it won't be.

I think he's gonna do pretty well and Flyers fans will be pleasantly surprised. If you meet the conditions of the 2nd, you're not going to care that you gave it up.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Neodoomium posted:

I didn't include Glendening because his deal is relatively fine in context:

"Glendening will earn $2 million per season in 2017-18 and 2018-19, $1.75 million in 2019-20 and $1.5 million in 2020-21."

Like, that looks downright acceptable compared to the rest of that bullshit

Except for the whole signing AAAA guys to over 4 year contracts sucking up roster spots for young guys thing but yeah the money isn't bad for a 4th line plug

If Babs actually traded for him I would poo poo gold bullion

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Beat Ken Holland to death with his own severed arm then bury him with it shoved up his own pisshole

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

If I had to keep three Helm and Nielsen are #1 and #2 on my list

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Shoot Abdelkader into a brick wall that's on fire suspended over the ocean. Throw DeKeyser in a bag and hurl the bag into a river and hurl the river into outer space, knock Kronwall out with his own elbow and position him in downward dog in front of a charging rhino, Nyquist- and formerly Tatar until he got the GDP of Angola in an extension- are useful players that could actually fetch assets assuming one knows that asset management are even two words in any form of written or spoken language, Free Jimmy Howard, how the hell is Trevor Daley even playing professional hockey in the year of our lord two thousand eighteen

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Frans Nielsen scores more points per dollar in his year 36 season than Abdelkader will over the course of any 82-game stretch of his current contract

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

AsInHowe posted:

Holland's gone after this year

holland is eternal

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

lol @ u if you think Holland is fired and doesn't resign

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

there's only one dennis cholowski so who does holland take with those picks

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Also did he flunk out of school that he went to St.Cloud State and then ended up back in the WHL? Or is his 12 pts in 36 games even worse than it sounds?

I think he just needed to play in an easier level of hockey because he's a scrub child that isn't Jacob Chychrun or Stamkos (lol imagine that contract)

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Drunk Canuck posted:

Do the Wings even have any prospects that are expected to be 20G+ forwards or at least top pairing dmen?

non joke answer is svechnikov maybe probably but the real honest true answer is lol wut

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

e: so your defense of him is that he was so used to being able to wield untold riches that he cheated rather than trying to understand how to manage money and assets properly, and then when he was caught,
he collapsed into a singularity of lifetime deals for local bottom 6 plugs? Just making sure I understand

i am the bird posted:

For sure. But he still managed to run an excellent cap team during the 2000s in order to manage top end talent while also fitting in enough supplementary dudes that did not destroy their cap. It’s kind of amazing that he had a core of 4 good defenseman and two elite forwards and still managed his money right to have an excellent supporting cast.

An excellent cap team that let Hossa walk and employed Dallas Drake in the 21st century.

Jim Devellano, Hakan Andersson and Mike Illitch's well of Scrooge McDuck Detroit blood money built this team and nothing more. Ken Holland has always been a joke, it just didn't become apparent until 2010

Teemu Pokemon fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Feb 20, 2018

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

If you don't see the difference in signing Hossa almost a decade ago and giving Justin Abdelkader 32 million dollars I really don't know what the gently caress to tell you

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

ThinkTank posted:

I'm not saying he's done a good job recently, I just don't get the retrospective iconoclasm of an era where the team had a bunch of success.

i am the bird posted:

Okay but these are unrelated deals and also take place in two different time periods. I’ve already granted that Holland has been atrocious in the final Lidstrom year onward, and that his decline probably started around 2010.

So it's just a coincidence that he only wanted to sign Zetterberg and Franzen, but who he (read: Andersson) drafted to all the money forever so as to further his I'm A Literal Genius legacy and then a switch just flipped inside him and made him a different guy. Perhaps he was always that guy and you just didn't notice. Maybe it was the same guy who thought that acquiring a $3M Kyle Calder in a $50.3M cap year was an instrumental piece to success because he's "gritty and greasy".

They won a cup and were competitive because they had insane hold-over talent from a previous regime and era and were able to staple them to the floor with unlimited cash. The fact that he was completely incapable of preventing that from collapsing when he didn't get his way (sign Suter and/or Parise for $Texas, aka the only thing he knows how to do) and then failed to realize he was spiraling the drain for almost a decade after that, is pretty indicative of his knowledge and ability to manage a cap. He didn't just forget, he never knew how but wasn't forced to face it.

When Ken Holland is forced to make his own decisions with no one's help, he makes bad ones, he makes a lot more bad ones than he has made good ones, and he's been doing it for 20 years. For every Hasek or Schneider there's three Legwands and Coles, and you don't need to be Columbo to follow the paper trail.

Even Holland himself is fully aware that the second greatest defensemen of all time, that he inherited, was the sole key to his success.

He's a bad talent evaluator, he's a terrible asset manager, and he wields a checkbook like a schoolyard wimp doing a fist windmill into a fight. The selective memory that these are just things he started to do and weren't things he's always done is so insanely laughable that I just don't know what to say except for this giant effortpost I should've deleted then walked away and ate a burrito

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Zodijackylite posted:

The return for Mrazek could be good, but isn't Holland the GM who had a dozen picks and just went for guys over 6'1"?

It's going to be a 3rd, maaaybe a second, go check out their 2nd and 3rd round picks in the last, I don't know, 6 drafts

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

i am the bird posted:

lucked into all of his players before becoming GM

Yzerman, Shanahan, Fedorov, Lidstrom, Larionov, Maltby, Draper, Holmstrom

e: Vernon, Konstantinov

quote:

and then lucked into drafting good players

Hakan Andersson literally found Pavel Datsyuk because he got trapped in a snowstorm

e2: and Holland wanted to trade him for Scott loving Gomez literally the summer before they won a cup

quote:

and then lucked into building a good team around them

The same guy who was able to pry the best goalie of all time from a notoriously cheap and troubled franchise for the low low price of Slava Kozlov and one of the many first round picks he spent 15 years burning like kindling is also the same guy who traded away a first round pick eventually used for local golden boy and obvious Lidstrom heir apparent Mike Green to acquire Robert "the emptiest 50 points of all time" Lang and backed a Brinks truck up to the front door of a 31 year old Derian Hatcher to pair with Jason Woolley

quote:

and then lucked into hiring and keeping the right management

He didn't hire Andersson nor Devellano nor did he keep Yzerman and famously ran him out of town at that (and Nill also but that isn't quite as disastrous though I would trade GMs with Dallas ten times over)

quote:

and then lucked into hiring the right coaching staff

Who also didn't hire Bowman, couldn't keep Babcock (who he got in the first place because of The Vast HotNReady Fortune), and thought that Dave Lewis was a prudent coaching hire.

quote:

and then lucked into exploiting the cap for the team’s benefit

I guess if you rob a bank because they leave the vault open and no one is looking, some might consider that luck or just serendipitous

Teemu Pokemon fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Feb 20, 2018

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Ken "rebuilds take 8 years" Holland traded for a 3rd round pick 4 drafts from now

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

I like how the red wings are included on that list for their bevy of *checks notes* 5th round picks

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

ThinkTank posted:

Was the Tomas Tatar return not good enough for you?

He gave away Tatar for free when you consider the combined return he didn't get for Green and what he left on the table for Vanek, but I'm sure that 2021 3rd will be a solid 4th line Michigander in 2026

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

i am the bird posted:

Well,Vanek’s last couple years:
Bought out by Minnesota not playing all that well and getting paid a lot
Signed by Detroit, a non-playoff team for almost nothing and played well despite little help
Traded for a 3rd and Dylan McIlrath in a year when Hanzal got a multiple picks, including a first, and a prospect; Curtis fuckin Lazar got a 2nd and a roster player, Jannik Hansen got a 4th an something resembling an actual prospect; demonstrably worse players in Dwight King and Jarome Iginla went for not that much less in 4ths; and the Wings even got a 3rd for an AHL superstar in Tomas Jurco
Signed by Vancouver, a non-playoff team for not a lot of money and is again performing reasonably well on a lovely team
Traded for old newspapers previously stuck to the bottom of a birdcage by an idiot

ftfy

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

DJExile posted:

Petr Mrazek and Charlie Lindgren just put on a goaltending performance for the ages in the Flyers/Habs OT

enjoy your good clearly locker room cancer goalie for almost nothing

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

but helene st james said he's hooked on coke and doesn't care about hockey???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

glynnenstein posted:

This is actually a good idea that has been floated for a long time. It's known as the Gold plan.

It's actually a bad idea because all that will happen is better teams will get better picks and that'll just create a bigger chasm between the haves and havenots and then we'll just have 8 Dallases and 8 Arizonas and 1/3 of the hockey games every season will be unwatchable

• Locked thread