Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
  • Locked thread
DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

I will, brother. I promise.

Mike_V posted:

The NHL ruled this a goal because the refs said Allen could not get back to save this puck

https://twitter.com/Buccigross/stat...225079811985413

NHL has found their own "What is a Catch?" Two Bruins literally whisk him off out of the crease and somehow it's not interference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

Leafs are cool again. Can we take Martin and Polak for a drive into the wild country, leave them by the side of the dirt road and drive off never looking back?

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

and then there was another sequence where the puck dropped behind fleury again shortly after. nutso.

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

Drunk Canuck posted:

Leafs update
https://twitter.com/kristen_shilton...818724428656640

This is top notch defence and I for one am not worried about the Leafs shutout streak

I'd rather they play Holl than Carrick but I understand he's still too new or some poo poo. At least they're keeping Dermott, which they'd have to have brain damage not to keep him in there.

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

Hope Andersen is ok. He's had head injuries before so..

loving Corey Perry.

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

Games like tonight is why I'm okay with Andersen giving up weird super soft oddity goals once and awhile. When he's on, he's really good and can steal games. Imagine if he gets hot in the playoffs? I mean, there's always that blunder waiting that's terrifying but I think maybe I take that trade off. I dunno.

Just stop getting hit in the head please.

Mind_Taker posted:

It’s going to rule when the two best teams in the East meet in the second round again this postseason. What a swell playoff format the NHL has.

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Yeah, by the end of the year it might easily be the two best teams in the entire league and one of them won't get to the ECF. Dumb system.

1v8, 2v7 etc is superior for sure.

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

Stretch Marx posted:

I like it when Matt Martin isn't in the lineup and players like Kapanen who are competent are there instead.

Thank you and god bless.

Kapanen rules. I never want to see Martin again.

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

I don't mind the actual jersey but having everything white looks weird.

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

CBJSprague24 posted:

CBJ potted six on 51 shots last night and I still don't know what to think of this team or what they'll do at the deadline. It's almost like the dilemma OSU had in college football this year: as a fan, do you hope to get in the playoffs to feel good about it and risk getting flattened in the first round or do you hope to miss and take a chance at the lottery?

The difference in the analogies is there's no consolation game the CBJ could play as OSU did and won.

I think it depends on the type of players they have. If they're a mix of vets and young guns, or just young guns you probably want for the playoffs. If they're an older team, it makes more sense to want a better draft pick. I think generally most org want to make the playoffs no matter what. It's a fresh start in a way and anything can happen if a team gets hot. It's interesting to see what NYR are doing even though they're pretty much in the hunt still. I think that's an exception though.

stab posted:

Well tbf Pleks if pretty much worth a bucket of pucks at this point

The way a couple of Habs fans talk about him to me, same for Patches.

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I think its Beauchemin for me

This one is mine. I watched a Colorado game not that long ago and was really surprised when I heard his name called.

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

AegisP posted:

Leafs feel and look like they're playing like they were at the start of the season, I approve.

I actually think they're playing slightly better. Offense is back and defensively are a bit more consistent (though still a weakness). Like Stretch was saying, the new lines rolling 4 with solid pressure really has helped. Kapanen was the missing piece!

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

A Typical Goon posted:

Nate Thompson is a good answer in the ‘that player is still in the NHL?!?’ pool

I don't even know who that is to begin with.

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

I feel like the Leafs should trade Soshnikov (even thou I like him) and/or Leivo for a competent Dman. They don't seem to want to use either one over Komarov. I mean Sosh can kill penalties too which seems to be the main reason Komarov even exists anymore. At least Babcock seems to like Kapanen, calling him a difference maker. Maybe they can somehow trade Martin to someone!

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

I guess I overvalue players lol maybe I can get Bergervin's job.

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

There's always Bozak and JVR too (JVR being the more attractive piece). Not sure if they do that though.

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

Koopa Kid posted:

I don’t think there’s any way the Leafs deal those guys, and they have no value to a rebuild anyway. They’re non-assets if the Leafs have decided to go for it, at least on the trade market.

How about in a Veteran Presence way for a young team to show them how to etc? Isn't that why the Leafs got Marleau? Though it doesn't make sense to lose guys that provide something you wanted to add in the first place.

Seems like the Leafs are hosed for the deadline in hopes of upgrading the D? Who would they move? If they stay pat, I'd like them to call up Holl again and launch Polak into space, anyway.

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

Koopa Kid posted:

The FA market kinda sucks though. Plus if Lou is still the GM you just know they’re gonna sign some old bastard over 35.

I sincerely hope Lou retires after this year. Put Dubas in charge imo.

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

The Seattle Sea Otters

The Seattle Sea At'ers

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

lol goddamn I'm bad at evaluating players' worth.

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

grack posted:

We're aware, Mr. Benning.

It's amazing how his face is the real life embodiment of

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

I've seen horrors... horrors that you've seen. But you have no right to call me a deserter. You have a right to trade me. You have a right to do that... but you have no right to judge me. It's impossible for words to describe what is necessary to those who do not know what horror means. Horror... Horror has a face... and you must make a friend of horror. Horror and moral terror are your friends. If they are not, then they are enemies to be feared. They are truly enemies! I remember when I was with the Sweden National Team… seems a thousand centuries ago. We went into training camp to inoculate some rookies. We left the training camp after we had inoculated the rookies for polio, and this old grinder came running after us and he was crying. He couldn't see. We went back there, and they had come and hacked off every stick. There they were in a pile. A pile of little sticks. And I remember... I... I... I cried, I wept like some AHLer. I wanted to tear my teeth out; I didn't know what I wanted to do! And I want to remember it. I never want to forget it... I never want to forget. And then I realized... like I was hip checked... like I was hip checked with a diamond... a diamond hip check right through my body. And I thought, my God... the genius of that! The genius! The will to do that! Perfect, genuine, complete, crystalline, pure. And then I realized they were stronger than we, because they could stand that these were not monsters, these were men... trained cadres. These men who fought with their hearts, who had families, who had children, who were filled with love... but they had the strength... the strength... to do that. If I had four divisions of those men, our troubles here would be over very quickly. You have to have men who are moral... and at the same time who are able to utilize their primordial instincts to score without feeling... without passion... without judgment... without Melnyk! Because it's Melnyk that defeats us.

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

Kessel will win the Conn Smythe this time (watch as Malkin nabs it instead)

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

I'm in the vast minority, but I'd be fine with the Pens winning. They play a pretty good, non-lovely style of hockey and it'd be impressive for a team to threepeat with the way the NHL is now. But I understand why people don't want them winning again.

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

Koopa Kid posted:

Waive Leo Komarov

He's been waiving at pucks a lot lately!
Back to back nights with missed open nets, that's pretty spectacular.

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

Aphrodite posted:

Mark Methot gives their play style a 4.5 out of 5.

4.5 is still good!

I feel like there are a lot of cool teams that I wouldn't mind winning, but I don't have a very big true hate list to begin with. For me obv Leafs, then after that Vegas, Nashville, Tampa, Winnipeg, Calgary, Pittsburgh (mainly for the threepeat angle), San Jose... probably like half the teams in the playoffs lol. I guess just not LA, Boston or Anaheim mainly, even though if they win I don't care enough to be pissed tbh.

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

Neodoomium posted:

And this is a problem of his own making because he's so cap-hosed thanks to the following deals:

Jimmy Howard, 5.3 until 2019 (will be 34 years old) with a NTC
Frans Nielsen, 5.25 until 2022 (37) with a NMC
Dan DeKeyser, 5.00 until 2022 (31) with a NTC
Gus Nyquist, 4.75 until 2019 (30) with a NTC
Jonathan Ericsson, 4.25 until 2020 (35) with a NTC
Justin Abdelkader, 4.25 until 2023 (35) with a NTC
Darren Helm, 3.85 until 2021 (34) with a NTC
Trevor Daley, 3.2 until 2020 (36) with a NTC

STOP GIVING THESE GUYS NO TRADE CLAUSES, YOU loving MAROON

NOBODY WILL DEAL WITH YOU FOR THIS TRASH

Oh and he decided to give Tomas Tatar 5.3 until 2021, but without a NTC.

I've heard of Ken Holland's transgressions 'round these parts before, but seeing it laid all out like that right there really is.. something.

Edit: ^^^ oh poo poo, got in before me

DuhSal fucked around with this message at Feb 20, 2018 around 05:02

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

yellowcar posted:

Why would he want to play for an even lamer franchise???

lol at saying the leafs are a lamer franchise than the loving senators.

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

Aphrodite posted:

They're named after a leaf and don't even spell it correctly.

Still better than the Arenas.

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

yellowcar posted:

no sports team from toronto will ever be cool

that's just like, your opinion man. i disagree and in fact the jays were very cool not too long ago.

edit: I'd also argue the leafs are pretty cool right now anyway.

DuhSal fucked around with this message at Feb 21, 2018 around 02:03

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

edit: not gdt

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

Drunk Canuck posted:

Yeah sure a shutout victory over the Panthers is nice. Wish that it was a multi-goal game though.

Leafs hit two posts and missed some open looks. Could've easily been more. I can't believe Florida had 40 shots thou. Sure as hell didn't feel like it.

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

The balls on kooch. To try this in an allstar game is one thing, but in a real rear end game! And on Holtby again lol.

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

Aphrodite posted:

Yeah Florida literally just chooses the oldest guy.

Luongo should be captain!

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

Sucks about Matthews but day-to-day means he could come back for the playoffs if they don't rush him. I think there's enough depth and space in the standings that the Leafs will be fine, we'll just see if he's ready for the playoffs or not. Also, for the love of all that is true in the world do not dress Martin. Leivo was on the practice lines, which is good.

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

corn on the cop posted:

taylor hall has played 21 games in 2018, and has a point in every one

sounds like mvp potential. I always liked hall on the oilers, dude just seemed injured often. dunno if it's because of his style of play or just bad luck.

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

I remember when Hall was traded and he felt slighted a bit and was hurt and now he must be so loving happy considering. And evidently it shows.

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

I'm mildly annoyed with NYR for helping the two teams Toronto will definitely have to go through in the playoffs. Like it wasn't already going to be hard, it just got harder

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

What do they do for the jerseys? Ril Nash, Ric Nash I'm guessing..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

holy poo poo lol

who's worse Orpik or Gudbranson?

• Locked thread