Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I like that the Sedins are staying with Vancouver and Lundqvist is sticking with the Rangers.

(((gently caress RAY BOURQUE AND THE 2001 LEAGUEWIDE CONSPIRACY AGAINST PERFECT HOCKEY)))

Boeser/Pettersson + hopefully Benning not whiffing this year is going to make for a really interesting team. Juolevi is having a big year in Finland too. Hopefully the Sedins play long enough to get another solid playoff run. The Rangers have some really nice players in their system too and I think they could turn it around fairly quickly if they hit on these trades/picks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

JawKnee posted:

He's currently getting healthy scratched although I don't know why

Really? Honestly I just looked at his numbers and it looked like he was tearing it up. How do you get healthy scratched with that kind of production?

LumpyGumby posted:

We will fight.

take great pleasure in that I still haven't watched highlights from that series in 17 years

e: Also in the McDavid/Crosby thing, man Malkin is so loving good. Draisaitl is a great player but the equivalent would be Matthews playing in Edmonton.

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Feb 3, 2018

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

corn on the cop posted:

the devils winning three keith kinkaid starts in a row and outshooting the pens 38-16 is some voodoo

was at the game tonight, it was weird as hell seeing the Zajac line just demolish Crosby's line all night

ThinkTank posted:

His coaches have said his play since the WJC has been very disinterested, but it's mostly a "teach the kid a lesson" thing. He's still not much of a prospect though. The Canucks are still far more than just him, Pettersson, Gaudette and our pick this year away from being interesting.

Prospect wise that's perhaps better than what the Devils turned it around with. Just need Benning to trade for a Hall, Schneider, and Palmieri.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

cenotaph posted:

You should have said something, we could have talked about board games during the intermissions.

My bad man didn't see you were going. I got really nervous when Malkin scored because it felt like a game that if the Devils didn't get three the Pens were coming back.

You played the new Space Terra Mystica yet?

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I hate to say it and shouldn't say it but Zacha has played the best hockey of his NHL career in like the past week. Wood/Palmieri is a good fit for him.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I hope they keep him there when MoJo comes back and actually I think Johansson could do OK with Boyle/Stafford (or Boyle/Gibbons eventually).

Hall played 25 minutes tonight with the Devils running 11 forwards. He pretty much played 1st/4th line the whole game (Palmieri got a few shifts with Boyle/Stafford but that was about it). That's gotta be the most minutes by any Devils forward since Kovalchuk in a regulation game.

Mueller looks like a NHL d-man. I'm not sure where he fits long term because he's not going to play over Moore/Greene/Butcher on the left side but it's nice to have him. He's better than Santini IMO although that's not saying a whole lot. I'm not a huge fan of 7d/11f but I guess their thinking is that it allows them give Butcher a lot of easy assignments/zone starts and also Jimmy Hayes loving sucks. I hope they give Quenneville a game or two, I don't think he has a lot left to do in the AHL and it's worth seeing if he can replace some of the scoring depth they lost when they traded Henrique.

eXXon posted:

You hate to see a young player doing well if it proves you wrong or what?

I feel like every time I get off the Pavel Zacha should die train he stabs me in the back. I already went through this with Larsson and I don't think we can trade him for EK.

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Feb 4, 2018

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

DJExile posted:

Yeah this part I really can't see, partly because the whole "never trade in the division" thing, partly also because I can't see anyone with the space for him.

I mean, the Devils definitely do and Lou isn't there to hold the vendetta even if it's still unlikely.

There's no way I'd want them to trade their first though.

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Feb 5, 2018

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
It looks like he's not considering Roslovic a prospect considering he doesn't have him rated in WPG's top 5.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
It's a joke he didn't get a 5 in game (they gave him a double minor).

Hall does take some runs though, I bet he has a rep already in the East, eventually he's gonna get someone in the head coming in as fast as he does for those trucks.

Wasn't Burrows in the lineup during https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9mV-CpolGc ?

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I don't think he was seeking retribution, but players definitely remember things like that when it happens to them. See: Palmieri's reaction to Gudas flattening him. It's such a small league that players get reps super fast.

It is kinda funny that 3 players in like a span of a month are about to be suspended for hits on Devils (Gudas, Marchand, Burrows). It's like Stevens is being exorcised (although I guess they wouldn't be suspended if that were the case).

edit: Actually Gudas didn't get suspended, whoops

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Feb 7, 2018

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Hischier is nothing like Grabner at all, really. He has good speed but he doesn't rely on it, and he's not a goal scorer he's a borderline elite playmaker. Defensively he's solid but I don't see him becoming Bergeron or anything, certainly very good there for a 19 year old though.

And lumping him in with Patrick is strange, he's definitely separated himself thus far as the clearly better player.

The guy he probably reminds me the most of is RNH in his rookie year.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I don't think Ottawa is going to get an impact player like McAvoy if they move Karlsson. I bet it ends up being heavily a futures deal.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Khabibulin to the Lightning baby

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Devils are playing Quenneville tomorrow so that's cool. They need the scoring depth with MoJo/Gibbons out.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Imagine if the Devils had taken Barzal/Connor and McAvoy LIKE I TOLD THEM TO

DeBrusk is pretty good though and they kinda made up for it with the McAvoy pick. Kind of -- I can forgive not taking one of Barzal/Connor but both?

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Feb 10, 2018

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Aphrodite posted:

McAvoy was the year after and was the expected pick for that spot, he has nothing to do with that 3 pick year.

In that, they made up for two misses with a super hit. Getting a #1 D at 14 is massive. It's kinda like the Devils not being completely hosed because they lucked into Hischier and Bratt.

Those picks aren't happening in a vacuum, as bad as passing up on Barzal/Connor is looking for Boston, one draft isn't going to doom you if you come up with picks like McAvoy a year later (add getting Pastrnak at #25 a few years earlier and you can certainly afford to whiff).

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Feb 11, 2018

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Because Honor and teams are too cowardly to full on tank (and the lottery has put a bit of a damper on it). The NHL cap is also more restrictive.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
The NBA also has generally a lot less upsets in the playoffs. You can get in and do some damage in the NHL but in the NBA you're not doing poo poo if you're not an elite team.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Benning has done kinda well lately hasn't he? Maybe he's reformed.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Hall set the Devils point streak record tonight (16 games).

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Team's gonna be tough if they get some scoring depth in the offseaosn, and they have a lot of capspace

Yeah they're doing pretty well (12 in GF), but they could stand to add one more top six forward. I liked the Henrique trade and they absolutely needed another top 4 dman but it would be nice still to have him. MoJo and Palmieri being out for huge stretches hasn't helped.

Going forward a lot of it depends on the development of Hischier/Bratt/Zacha/McLeod/Quenneville (and Schneider not being dead).

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

DuhSal posted:

I've seen horrors... horrors that you've seen. But you have no right to call me a deserter. You have a right to trade me. You have a right to do that... but you have no right to judge me. It's impossible for words to describe what is necessary to those who do not know what horror means. Horror... Horror has a face... and you must make a friend of horror. Horror and moral terror are your friends. If they are not, then they are enemies to be feared. They are truly enemies! I remember when I was with the Sweden National Team… seems a thousand centuries ago. We went into training camp to inoculate some rookies. We left the training camp after we had inoculated the rookies for polio, and this old grinder came running after us and he was crying. He couldn't see. We went back there, and they had come and hacked off every stick. There they were in a pile. A pile of little sticks. And I remember... I... I... I cried, I wept like some AHLer. I wanted to tear my teeth out; I didn't know what I wanted to do! And I want to remember it. I never want to forget it... I never want to forget. And then I realized... like I was hip checked... like I was hip checked with a diamond... a diamond hip check right through my body. And I thought, my God... the genius of that! The genius! The will to do that! Perfect, genuine, complete, crystalline, pure. And then I realized they were stronger than we, because they could stand that these were not monsters, these were men... trained cadres. These men who fought with their hearts, who had families, who had children, who were filled with love... but they had the strength... the strength... to do that. If I had four divisions of those men, our troubles here would be over very quickly. You have to have men who are moral... and at the same time who are able to utilize their primordial instincts to score without feeling... without passion... without judgment... without Melnyk! Because it's Melnyk that defeats us.

Captain Carey Price: Your mission is to proceed up the St. Lawrence River in a press boat. Pick up Mr. Bergevin's path at Rue Peel, follow it, and learn what you can along the way. When you find the GM, infiltrate his team by whatever means available and terminate the GM's command.
PK Subban: Terminate Bergevin?
Ken Dryden: He's out there operating without any decent restraint, totally beyond the pale of any acceptable human conduct. And he is still in the field making trades.
Radulov: Terminate with extreme prejudice.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
wrong thread!

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
rollie has brought eddie back baby 48 saves

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

corn on the cop posted:

the devils didn't deserve either one of these last two games but ill take it as penance for the probably 90 PDO they got during january

It's shocking how good Zacha looks lately. I'm eventually going to jinx it but he's carrying his line.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

corn on the cop posted:

Poor Bratt is snakebit to hell though. Can't buy a goal and he's pressing hard.

He looks a little worn out physically. They have too many people out to scratch him but I don't think a rest would be bad in his case.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

Ottawa demanding Ryan be taken with Karlsson is going to backfire. No team in contention will have the money to take both and their price will have to come down to something lower than they even anticipated.

God somebody is gonna fleece Dorion for EK.

The Islanders should go hard considering they need help badly on D and have an insane amount of young offensive talent to send back. Let Bailey walk and send Ottawa something like Dal Colle, Aho/Pelech, and one of their two 1sts. Even if Ottawa wanted Bellows they should do it.

The Isles with their current offense minus Bailey (with Bellows and Ho Sang in the wings) and a D of

Karlsson-de Haan
Leddy-Boychuk
Pulock-some guy

Would be insanely good if they could get a league average goaltender.

I mean the Devils could pretty easily take both atm.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

I agree and Ryan is basically an NJ native but that contract is bad for a slow player and I don't think they'd have the assets.

Well maybe not. It would instantly make them legit contenders.

I'd be fine with taking on the contract as long as EK could be signed to an extension. To be honest Ryan would help this year, they could use another skilled forward even in his current state. The problem, is yeah -- the assets. Looking at guys the Devils could actually afford to move that Ottawa might actually have interest in:

D: Santini/Butcher/Severson
F: Zacha/Bratt/Wood
Prospects: McLeod/Quenneville/Boqvist/Anderson

+ This year's first.

A bunch of B tier crap really.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

corn on the cop posted:

you shut up about joey anderson

I mean I have a Bratt jersey, but for EK though? Who knows, look at what Joe Thornton got.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
So Tony Granato said the Russian team could be a top 10 team in the NHL, what do you guys think?

code:
No.	Pos.	Name	
83	G	Vasily Koshechkin	
30	G	Igor Shestyorkin	
31	G	Ilya Sorokin	
4	D	Vladislav Gavrikov	
3	D	Dinar Khafizullin	
55	D	Bogdan Kiselevich	 
53	D	Alexey Marchenko	
89	D	Nikita Nesterov	
26	D	Vyacheslav Voynov	
2	D	Artyom Zub	
28	D	Andrei Zubarev	
11	F	Sergei Andronov
94	F	Alexander Barabanov	
13	F	Pavel Datsyuk
25	F	Mikhail Grigorenko	
97	F	Nikita Gusev 
29	F	Ilya Kablukov	
77	F	Sergey Kalinin	
27	F	Kirill Kaprizov	
71	F	Ilya Kovalchuk	
10	F	Sergei Mozyakin
74	F	Nikolai Prokhorkin	
87	F	Vadim Shipachyov
52	F	Sergei Shirokov
7	F	Ivan Telegin
I think top 10 is optimistic, but that's probably a playoff contender depending on how highly you rate their goalies/Kaprizov/Gusev.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Mind_Taker posted:

That Russian team would get shithoused in the NHL.

What makes you think that? I think they'd struggle with the small ice but given enough practice the talent is there.

Thufir posted:

I'm kind of curious how good Kovalchuk would be in the NHL right now though.

He'd be similar to what Radulov is.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Mind_Taker posted:

The defense looks terrible, no real forward depth, and questionable goaltending. Maybe shithoused isn’t accurate but they don’t look close to a playoff team.

Hmmm questionable is a bit harsh on the goaltending. It's not NHL proven, but those are the two best goalies outside the NHL by just about every estimation and they're only getting better. That forward depth is pretty comparable to midpack NHL teams, I think you're selling a few of those guys short -- the defense is obviously the weak point even if Mike Tyson gets to play.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

quote:

It was expected that several Olympians who began the tournament playing outside the NHL would make their way to North America sometime after the conclusion of the PyeongChang games.

The dominoes started to fall just hours after Finland was eliminated by Canada in a 1-0 nail-biter on Wednesday, with reports surfacing that Eeli Tolvanen, Nashville’s first-round pick last June, is likely to make his NHL debut this season with the Predators.

According to The Athletic’s Craig Custance, Tolvanen is “fully expected” to be heading to Smashville once his season with Jokerit of the KHL — where the 18-year-old has 34 points in 47 games — is complete.

“We’ll have a contract in place to be able to execute and have him come over here,” Predators assistant GM Paul Fenton told Custance on Wednesday. “That’s the plan. Funnier things have happened. I don’t want to say 100 percent. I never do that in our business. Yes, our plan is to have him.”

Despite being one of the youngest regulars in the KHL and the most junior on his team, Tolvanen has been a force for Helsinki-based Jokerit in his first season of professional hockey — sitting second on the club in goals (17) and points, while posting a plus-12 rating. Before heading home to start this season, the Nummela, Finland product tallied 47 goals and 92 points in 101 games over two seasons with Sioux City of the USHL. He was the tournament’s leading scorer after the preliminary round in PyeongChang (3-3–6).

https://sports.yahoo.com/olympics-standout-eeli-tolvanen-likely-join-predators-playoff-run-005821425.html

Pretty big pickup, they're so goddamn deep now.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Team Culture Change is really coming together:

Hall-Seguin-Carter
Subban-Karlsson

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Aphrodite posted:

Guess we need to rethink the bad rap locker room cancer gets.

good god

"cap related elements" loool

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
that's such a Lou Lam deal with the second team eating cap before trading him again

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I have no idea what the Devils do with their lines now. I'm gonna not even factor MoJo because who knows when/if he comes back. Gibbons will be back though, so:

Taylor Hall - Nico Hischier - Kyle Palmieri
Jesper Bratt - Pavel Zacha - Michael Grabner
Miles Wood - Travis Zajac - Blake Coleman
Pat Maroon - Brian Boyle - Brian Gibbons
Stefan Noesen
Drew Stafford
Jimmy Hayes

Andy Greene - Sami Vatanen
John Moore - Damon Severson
Will Butcher - Ben Lovejoy
Mirco Mueller
Steven Santini

Cory Schneider
Keith Kinkaid
Eddie Lack

If MoJo comes back and everyone is healthy I could see him coming in for Coleman/Gibbons/maybe even Bratt if he's struggling. I think Maroon probably gets some decent PP time as a front net presence, that's probably his greatest value to the Devils.

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Feb 26, 2018

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
If you take out Namestnikov/Miller that McDonagh return reminds me of the Kovalchuk deal.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

corn on the cop posted:

bergfors was out of the nhl in ~2 years and patrice cormier topped out at middle-6 ahl'er. one of lou's last great heists

The first ended up being used in the Buff deal though, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Didn't Wheeler and Stastny play together in Sochi?

(and during the lockout apparently)

• Locked thread