Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

ThinkTank posted:

There are about three hockey players who don't give a canned answer to every question, and all are ostracized for it except for maybe Cory Schneider.

ron hainsey's greatest skill by far is giving surprisingly thoughtful and introspective interviews

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

https://twitter.com/marcpdumont/status/958699385952571393

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZQtVkWBzRo

Things I learned:
- There’s something called the Elite Ice Hockey League
- its head of DOPS is an affable British gent
- assaulting a fan gets you suspended in the EIHL, but not that suspended

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Turns out Gudas is a dirty shithead, who knew

https://twitter.com/njdevils/status/959224530215624704

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

CBJSprague24 posted:

Biznasty and Jason Williams played in the EIHL for a couple years. I think there have been a couple other random NHLers and a few punchmen who have wound up there for a bit only to come back to the US.

i only just now realized that the EIHL is in the UK, which makes the british accent on the DOPS video much less notable

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

DJExile posted:

Flyers send Goulbourne back to the Phantoms, to end what was one of the stranger callups in recent memory.

kind of spooky that this goul fellow didn't get a chance to play with ghost and now is a phantom agai n :ghost:

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

T-Bone posted:

was at the game tonight, it was weird as hell seeing the Zajac line just demolish Crosby's line all night

Ryan Reaves was on Crosby’s line tonight, so it’s not that weird. Or at least for the first half, that’s all I caught

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Carter Rawney isn't really played in 5v5 situations so they just toss Sid or Geno between whatever is on the 4th line right now. Unfortunately, the Pens went 3 games without Reaves in the lineup and the 4th line all of a sudden stopped getting caved in quite so much, but now Sheary and Hornquist are out soooooo back in he goes :(

I didn’t look at the line combos in depth, but I noticed Reaves went out with Sid and Simon a lot, which made t seem more like a promo to 1L rather than Sid doubling on 4L.

Regardless, the pens would be better off bringing up some more skilled depth from WBS than slotting Reaves in anywhere. I do wonder how much pressure comes from JR to play Reaves, just seems so out of keeping with Sullivan’s style

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

I have a hard time imagining Nash getting traded within the Metro, and maybe even Eastern Conference, given how NHL GMs seem to work.

I don't know anything about what these teams could give up in terms of prospects or picks, or whether they might be on Nash's trade list, or if Nash is the type of player they'd want to get at the deadline, but I could see almost any Western playoff team being interested. And with Nash being a UFA this offseason, I'm guessing NYR would be willing to retain a decent amount of salary if they can get a good return of prospects and/or picks.

WPG, SJS, NSH and LAK are all currently in a playoff position and have some cap space, and CGY is right there... STL and MIN seem to have less cap space* but maybe could work something out. I could see any of those teams seeing themselves as deadline buyers, so who knows.

*Caveat: I don't understand CapFriendly's deadline cap space projection

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

rick nash to PIT

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

CBJSprague24 posted:

Columbus trades Derick Brassard, Derek Dorsett, John Moore, and a pick to NYR for Marian Gaborik, Blake Parlett, and a pick
Columbus trades Steve Mason to Philadelphia for Michael Leighton and a 3rd
Columbus trades RJ Umberger to Philadelphia for Scott Hartnell
Carolina trades Eric Staal to NYR for stuff.

The first two were while Columbus was still in the West but it was known they were moving East, but you get the idea.

I guess the in division rule only applies if both teams are competitive and have a chance at the playoffs

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Ginette Reno posted:

We'd need to also find some 3c/4c first tbh (come home Cullen) because gently caress if I wanna go into the playoffs with Sheahan/Rowney as the bottom six center depth

i actually feel like sheahan was a surprisingly good pick up. haven't dug into the stats but watching games he doesn't really seem like that much of a drop off from bonino. cullen was a great 4C, but i could live with rowney as a 4C if we're able to get reaves out of the lineup

how about maatta + 87 gallons of crosby's sweat for mcdonagh???

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

No, but you see, the canucks have gotten considerably worse since losing AV as a coach, so therefore he is Good

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Chad Sexington posted:

That dude ruled on the Devils. Can scarcely remember a better rental kind of player.

Search my post history for “stempniak” to see one mans shouts into the void about how stupid they were not to re-sign him for like $1.5M AAV a few years ago

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Matt Zerella posted:

Rumor has it Boston is hot to trot for McD but LOL at that package offer for him that you threw out there.

My personal opinion is he gets moved at the draft.

I feel like McD to Boston is the type of trade that would somehow upset the weird magic that Boston has had most of the year and be the cause of an unexpected early playoff exit

So I’m all for it

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

The Cascadia Subduction Zone

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Zodijackylite posted:

Brandon Mashinter got called up/sent down this week.

Mashinter? I just met her!

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Western conference bandwagon darling makes SCF only to get destroyed by the pens is a narrative I can get behind

Sharks? Check
Preds? Check
VGK? Yes pls

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

CBJSprague24 posted:

It's kind of like when one dumb/unattracive person figures out they can hang out with dumber/more unattractive people to look better by comparison.

*hangs out with CBJSprague24*

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Nice to see holtby in playoff form early

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Isn’t Crawford one of the consistently best goalies of the last few years? I thought the whole Crawford is bad it’s just the hawks D that’s good narrative was fake news

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Wamsutta posted:

Torts has always been a stellar dude away from hockey, from all accounts. Between things like his relationship with Liam (who appeared in the NHL 24/7 around the NYR/PHI winter classic I believe) and all of the work he does to help dogs and dog charities, I'm not mad at him for a second. I was just glad when he wasn't the coach of my favorite hockey team anymore.

honestly all the quotes from him since taking the CBJ (and maybe more importantly, getting shithoused in the world cup) make me think reformed torts isn't just entertaining and a decent guy, but also seems like he wouldn't be a bad coach. i haven't watched enough CBJ to really know, but his soundbytes at least make him seem like he's embraced skillful play and a more carrot than stick approach as opposed to grinding and shot blocking and being a hardass just for the sake of it

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

NHL should institute a rule this offseason that if the oilers win the lottery mcdavid goes straight to UFA

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

What are the bruins main roster weaknesses? Lack of scoring depth? Seems like these moves are incrementally positive on that front, but they don’t really make the Bs any scarier in my mind...

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

I literally loled for a solid 30 seconds when i first saw the vanek trade

that's a good deal for TB. i feel like mcd has been on a decline and he doesn't really scare me as a #1D these days, but boy is TB gonna have some tough D depth, will be fun to watch the pens eventually dismantle it

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

ThinkTank posted:

Same, except it was that mock laughter after you embarrass yourself in a really obvious way and you try to pretend that you were joking and going along with it but everyone knows and you're trying to not let it show on your face and you just end up laughing a bit too long and everyone gets uncomfortable.

love that you winded up with basically the same av that verviticus got a few years ago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

I was at a training event for work yesterday that had some folks from our offices around the country, and wound up chatting about the Pens with a guy from Pitt. He asked what I thought of the Pens TDL moves. I saw a bit of sadness in his eyes, so instead of saying that JR’s best move was getting rid of Reaves, I said I was happy about Brass and that Reaves was fun to watch but just didn’t have the speed or scoring touch for Sullivan’s Penguins. He was pained, but knew this to be true, and muttered something wistfully about the game changing.

• Locked thread