Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

I can't wait to see how Kessel lets himself go when he stops playing pro hockey

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

he could have probably stopped at "Montoya won't talk to the media on days when he's starting and that is frustrating for a reporter" but the whole "it shows he's weak and fragile and blah blah" is some dumb hosed up bullshit and then to justify it by claiming he's "in the trenches" if garbage

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

It seems like backups always get the same question (how do you prepare for starting games infrequently) and give the same response (you just practice like you're going to start every game and keep yourself mentally prepared for it)

so yeah, who cares

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

yellowcar posted:

Rumours going around that Bergevin might not trade Cathorse before the deadline and choosing to extend his contract instead. loving hell this dumbass GM.

dude is 35 years old and has 18 points this season.

yeah sure extend him why not

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Can we fire av yet

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Matt Zerella posted:

Buchnevich has a concussion and is out indefinitely.

Time to sell, fire AV, and get your tank on, Jeff.

Did they ever show the hit? Seems like he and a Leafs player got tangled up and it was all inadvertent but I don't think we ever got a replay

Sucks but at this point whatever.

e: fire av

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Fire av

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Sounds like the Rangers got hosed by the refs and then hosed themselves because they’re bad

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

sad to watch the Rangers implode this season but oh well. pretty much time to move on

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

it's dumb that they suspend him for interference and not hitting a dude in the head

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Wonderllama posted:

Also, I live in Tennessee now, and killing a ranger should be encouraged and hurting vesey makes me want to kiss forsberg gay style

Honestly that’s just weird and not in the hah hah funny ironic way

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Wonderllama posted:

The head shot rule is nebulous, and vesey sold it by coming back out and yelling whilst spitting out blood, and I thought that was pathetic. Also, I do what I can to provoke RAS because it’s always the same three posters who get ruffled.

Sold it by spitting out blood lol

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Typical philly Sunday night then!

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

DJExile posted:

Prospect and a 1-2nd rounder, I'd imagine. He's gonna command a pretty good price.

Definitely gets a 1st I think unless a real good prospect is part of it.

I imagine a 1st and a decent prospect, or a real good prospect and a 2nd-ish

Then agian I"ll probably be wrong and they'll trade him for a 2nd rounder and an AHLer

ThinkTank posted:

He's very manageable for pretty much any playoff team at 50% retained ($3.9M yearly - around $1.3M prorated from the deadline). He's a UFA at the end of the year so there's no long term commitment. If Nash is really on the market, the bidding for him should be pretty fierce.

Yeah salary really shouldn't be an issue since he's a pending UFA and all, but if the Rangers are gonna get screwed on this deal it's gonna be that everyone says "well he's overpaid so we don't want to give you that much in return for him" which is dumb but that's sports

I'd honestly love to have him back next year on a reasonable deal

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I do think Boston makes a pitch for Nash. They have the pieces to make it happen and I think he'd be a good fit for the middle 6. Depends what NY is asking for I guess. I'm sure it's "A 1st + good prospects" and that seems like too much. That's paying for what he used to be and not what he is now.

Remember when Guastad was worth a 1st rounder just to win a few faceoffs?

Deadline deals are..."different". Ultimately it'll depend on how much demand their is and whether the Rangers can play multiple teams off each other, but a 1st and a prospect for a guy who can play in all situations, generate his own scoring chances, drive play and score some goals if he gets on a hot streak isn't an insane ask if a team is willing to go all in for a run

Or you have like the Eric Staal trade, two 2nds and a good but not top tier prospect, could see something along those lines too depending on draft position etc

e: the hot take now though is that Tampa is interested in McDonagh

I don't even know what I'd want the Rangers to get from Tampa as I have a hard time seeing them willing to give up Sergechev

e2:
https://twitter.com/stevezipay/stat...581828041158658

Goddammit :(

Levitate fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Feb 5, 2018

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Yeah, a B-level prospect plus either a first or a mix of picks seems about right. My gut feeling is that Nash's perceived value is higher than that though, and it wouldn't surprise me if NY is asking for more and a team ponies up. You can never tell with NHL GMs at the deadline.

The no trade list could limit what kind of market they can get for him but who knows. Nash is still a really good player it's just that the chances he generates don't go in the net as often as they used to pretty much. I think he'd be a great add for a team wanting some better depth and flexibility in their lineup for a serious cup run

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

LumpyGumby posted:

Send Nash to Colorado. We have the picks, the prospects, the cap space, and DESPERATELY need depth. Why not eh?

works for me, who do we call to make this official

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Matt Zerella posted:

Whoever gets Rick, please be nice. I know he's gotten a lot of shot over the years because of goals/money but the dude plays his rear end off and is underrated on the PK and along the boards.

It really sucks the rangers are selling off their cool and good guys and I'd totally be down for a second tour with Rick at less money this offseason.

I'd love to have him back but have doubts the rangers want him to return just because that always seems to be how it works

Rangers still have cool guys on their team but yeah it's gon' be weird if they move Nash, McD and Zucc

Really need a guy like Miller to step up more consistently, I think he'd thrive under a coach that would force him to play a more aggressive style rather than the "always pull up and look for a cross ice pass" bullshit

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

fire
av

he
bad

trade some guys and call up Chytil and Andersson

watch rangers still be bad but maybe mildly entertaining instead of unwatchable

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Matt Zerella posted:

We aren't seeing them this year. It's not worth burning a year off their ELCs.

Actually sounds like Andersson is going back to Sweden. I don't know what the gently caress they were doing with that whole thing :psyduck:

Usually Rangers management is pretty good with this poo poo but handling Andersson has been weird. Best I can figure is that since he was injured in NA during the WJCs and rehabbing in the states so they decided to give him a few AHL games, but are going to send him back now? I dunno

As for burning ELCs, I think if they feel it's best for Chytil to get NHL experience at the end of the year and that would be a benefit for his development then they'll do it. I don't think the ELC thing matters as much to teams as does the 40 game limit before you burn a year of their experience towards becoming an UFA

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

CBJSprague24 posted:

I'm tempted to amend my "they who slump last out of the Metro miss the playoffs" theory and make it "they who slump the least make the Wild Card" but literally as I type those words I look at the standings and see the only team in the Division whose last 10 isn't 5-5-0 or worse is Pittsburgh so :iiam:.

NHL N/V February: All Our Teams Suck

Rangers are racing towards the bottom pretty quickly

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

grack posted:

It's to do with the way he skated. Same thing happened to Bure.

that and having their knees repeatedly taken out by other players

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Grabner had some health issues IIRC that neutered his speed until he fully recovered, and without his speed he's not that dangerous.

If you want a guy who can PK, is the fastest player on the ice nearly all the time, and can pot some goals to go along with your depth plus make teams have to respect that breakaway speed, then he's a good pickup. I think the price will depend on how many teams are bidding.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

a false posted:

honestly even in a straight line kreider has never looked that fast to me?

nah when he sprints all out he's frighteningly fast. He doesn't do it with the puck though and isn't a "on the gas all the time" guy. But occasionally he'll turn it on to beat out an icing or race to a puck and it's insane a guy as big as he is can move that fast.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Jovial Cow posted:

It will be a one goal game. They’re always a one goal game.

only because of Lundqvist standing on his head

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

lol worse than the ranger how can you even

e: lol literally the AV system

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

a false posted:

lundqvist deserves another vezina

there was maybe a stretch in there somewhere throughout his career where the Rangers D protected Lundqvist decently well but for so much of his career he's basically had to make a ton of saves on high percentage shots all season long but no one cares about that kind of stuff

Yo how about this Nick Holden to tide you over?

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

grack posted:

Maybe the Caps and Rangers should just trade coaches.

that'd be intriguing to see how it actually worked out

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Pretty sure the Rangers have given up on their coaching staff

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

a false posted:

im ready for the tank and i am ready to win the draft lottery

with the rangers luck dahlen would either bust hard or break a leg walking up to the podium

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

https://twitter.com/HartnettHockey/status/961452496664322049

wooooooo

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

a false posted:

did he just admit to tanking

Eh I mean they did start the game playing decently well. Then they just fell apart

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I think McDonagh is gonna be the guy those elite teams will go for. He'll probably be cheaper to acquire, which means you're not risking as much but still improving the team in a big way. I'm hoping the Bruins go for him and Rick Nash. If the Rangers are going for a real rebuild I think they could be acquired for a handful of 1sts and 2nds, and some of the organizations better non-NHL prospects.

The ask for McDonagh will probably be pretty big and they don't have to deal him right now or even this year if they don't get an offer they'd like. The Bruins going for Nash and McDonagh would probably be a bigger price then they'd be willing to pay I'd think

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I'm probably in the minority but I think I'd rather have McAvoy or Sergachev for the next decade or so than have Karlsson for a season and change, even if it gives the team a better shot at a Cup in that small window.

yeah that's really the thing these teams have to decide...is a shot at the cup now worth trading a young asset away? They could always re-sign Karlsson or McDonagh and they both have another year on their contracts so it's not a pure rental, but then you have a big contract locked up into a guys mid-late 30's

but if you win a cup it might be worth it

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Matt Zerella posted:

Hoooooly shittttttt pissssssss

:stare:

wow

dude has struggled but I almost wonder if there's more going on.

He seemed like he thought he needed to do more than just play the same simple game that got him signed and instead tries to make the difficult play time and time again.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

are we sure Sather didn't call down for this one? Seems like something he'd do...

I'd also say that AV's system is stupid hard for defensemen for some reason...probably because everyone is constantly guessing about where they need to be and who to cover and when a defenseman recovers the puck, he often has no support because the forwards are also guessing about where to be instead of being in position to provide support. That's not a total excuse for Smith because as I said he decided he had to make the difficult play every single time this season, but it frustrates me to no end that the Rangers started this season with a promising group of defenseman that should have been able to move the puck and push the play and the coaching staff immediately pulled it all down to play their same "concede the blue line give up a ton of shots play a difficult man defense that makes everyone look bad oh and your outlet/transition strategy is always the long stretch pass hope you don't look like piss trying to play that"

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Oh and apparently the Rangers have called a press conference later today? Unsure if that's about waiving Smith or something else (fire av)

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

a false posted:

announce trading everyone

"we're calling up the entire hartford wolfpack and sending down the entire rangers team"

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

I'm like 90% sure this is going to be something boring like a "state of the team address" where they say "we're sorry they suck"

but you never know could be something exciting

e: random guy in a puffy coat walking in front of the camera

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

i am the bird posted:

I think the Toronto approach to their [latest] rebuild has gotten a lot of good press. Hockey writers/commentators love talking about Babcock, in particular, saying hard times were coming. It’s not surprising to see NYR follow in their footsteps by helping their fans brace for short term pain in the name of greater good.

Maybe I’m more impressed than I should be because Detroit should’ve done this the second Lidstrom retired.

The Rangers also haven't really re-built in over a decade, when they sold off everyone right before the lockout. They've gone through a lot of changes but never really traded all their players, etc

That said they still have to put a team on the ice next season, they can't just trade everyone for whatever they can get. I'd bet there's at least a core group of players they won't move, a couple of defensemen, a handful of forwards, but other guys could be up for grabs

Jamwad Hilder posted:

So who's safe on the Rangers? I'd guess Zibanejad, Buchnevich, Shattenkirk, and Skjei are safe no matter what, but it's hard to say who else might be outside of them. Maybe Miller and Hayes due to age? They have expiring contracts though, so they might be prime rental candidates.

I could see Zibanejad being available for the right offer but if he goes then they probably need to keep someone like Hayes. I think Miller is definitely on the block, I believe it's been rumored. I think Hayes might be preferable to keep around because he's kind of transitioned into a solid two way center.

bewbies posted:

did the rangers think they were going to be good this year? i don't really get why they signed a one dimensional defenseman to a huge deal

I think this year was always a "we're overhauling the team because we have to and there are some holes in the lineup but lets cross our fingers and hope guys will step up and things will work out". Center depth is the big obvious issue and injuries have really contributed to the decline but I think they hoped that they could turn things around pretty quick int he next several years with the right moves (hence signing Shattenkirk), but things aren't panning out so they're selling instead

Levitate fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Feb 8, 2018

• Locked thread