Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIČRE IN ME

Ginette Reno posted:

There have been red flags for years with them consistently being a bad possession team but they somehow year after year converted well on their chances and Hank being Hank also kept them good.

this year (and last year to an extent) have been different in that they've been giving up a LOT of really high quality scoring chances. Used to be they'd give up a ton of shots and be a bad possession team but generally kept shots away from the front of the net and generated a lot of high quality chances themselves. Those two things have been changing lately for the worse so they just give up a ton of shots and don't take many because other teams are defending their chance on the rush too well

They also used to be a fast team but really aren't any more because when they hit the opposing blueline everyone starts coasting and expecting the perfect passing lanes to open up.

The whole demeanor of the team has just been changing a lot since a few years ago when they were a fast high scoring team

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

I think Lundqvist is too old and has too many years left on his contract to really attract much attention

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Teemu Pokemon posted:

I like that the narrative is that his game fell off a cliff and not the entire career's worth of sample size that shows that he skates well enough to look pretty good for ransom 20 game stretches and then goes back to thinking he's bobby goddam orr and whoops he just tried to skate through 3 dudes to throw a 120 ft stretch pass and turned it over at the top of the circle again

y'all gave the rob schremp of defensemen 17 mil and now you have buyer's remorse ho hum

yeah but at the end of the day ken holland is still your favorite teams GM :colbert:

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Ginette Reno posted:

Grabner would be a great fit on the Pens if he could actually play LW (can he?) and JT Miller would also be good but the Rangers would probably want a gently caress load of assets for either to even consider dealing them to a Metro rival so that ain't happening. Also Miller is still young so I doubt he's even on the list of guys to be moved.

I'm not sure Grabner cares what wing he plays because he's most valuable on a breakaway

he can't play the boards or anything anyways so it's irrelevant

e: a coach that can get Miller back to playing more aggressively could get more out of him. He's gotten too complacent, doesn't throw the body like he used to, and spends all his time skating into the zone, pulling up, and often losing the puck

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

If he goes through re-entry it's half the cap, but for the amount of years, it does seem like he'll be buried in the AHL until it makes sense to buy him out.

I don't think the Rangers are gonna deal guys like McD and Zucc, but Nash/Grabner/Holden have to be gone.

I think they absolutely will deal McD and Zucc if the right deal comes. Those are their two biggest assets now besides pending UFA's and you don't throw a big press conference about how you're going to blow up the team to just trade a few pending UFAs

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

my one sole hope is that Chytil becomes the next Pastrnak

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

iospace posted:

I view it like this, it's four parts:

1. Favorable expansion draft rules. Find the teams that protected 4D and grab forwards from then, then build out from there (ex: Neal).
2. Players with something to prove (aka "chips on their shoulders").
3. A change of scenery can be a big difference (ex: Subban).
4. A lot of NHL GMs are massive dumbasses (ex: Florida's)

Also, Vicas put it pretty well: "i think it's also a team made entirely of second and third liners, with just a little top end talent, is a lot better than most people gave it credit for"

I think they're probably getting a bit of "luck" in all this, as in it seems like no one is going through slumps and everything has been clicking since day 1 (though their issue with goaltending injuries early in the season was rough) but also the coaching deserves some kudos because I think playing that up tempo aggressive style is the perfect kind of system for a team made up of 2nd and 3rd line talent. Which is why I want AV fired at this point because the Rangers MO has been "made up of 2nd and 3rd line talent" for years now but they've been getting more and more passive in their play and it doesn't work and yes I have to make everything about the Rangers.

Where the trades at.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Jovial Cow posted:

I mean if we didn’t choke multiple games away late we’re in the ECF last year.

I think because we have the same roster construction as LV is exactly why this is not AV’s fault. That 2nd/3rd line system is all about exploiting depth. You lose that depth via injury and it all falls apart. You don’t have any elite talent who can take over a game and carry the team for you when everyone else is poo poo. Sure Hank is a star player but he can’t score goals. Take any coach in the league and put them behind the rangers bench and I don’t think you’re seeing that much of an improvement as currently constituted. You NEED those 4 2nd/3rd line otherwise you’re just at a disadvantage on all 4 lines.

Injuries are a big reason why they've plummeted so fast and look like absolute trash right now, but remember they started the season looking terrible, had a hot run where they still got outshot terribly and mostly were bailed out by Lundqvist, and then the bottom fell out.

They haven't been "good" this year, and them choking away multiple games last year is an indictment of the coach as well as it is the players. Remember Skjei and Smith playing great hockey together and then AV benched them so he could run Staal and Holden out there time and time again to get scored on at the end of a game? And his excuse being "oh I just lost them on the bench"?

I think a coach with a more structured system and more aggressive mindset could get more out of this team. They wouldn't be a contender or anything but there are issues with how players are used at this point.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Jovial Cow posted:

Right but what you’ve all been spouting, and what I think we all agree on, is our center depth has been suspect all year. You can’t win with only two centers, and when Hayes went down it was especially dire. I think the year before everyone thought the blue line was weak. AV is working with what he’s got. Does AV make some mistakes? Sure. Do I wish Buchnevich was stapled to the first two lines? Of course. But I also know you can find an example for almost every coach out there for misusing a young promising player that the fans think should be getting more time. I just don’t know who you think you’re bringing in here that is going to do better than him.

yeah for sure the roster is an issue but looking beyond just results and to their actual play....there's really no reason this team should be getting blown out time and time again all year long and only have 1 stretch of time where that didn't happen because their goaltenders bailed them out over and over. The on ice play has just been...suspect, lets say. AV is working with what he's got by trying to get the players he has to play a system that they can't execute properly, rather than working out a system that fits the players better.
The roster ultimately isn't good enough for them to be a real seriously good team or something but it also shouldn't be so bad as to play like trash game in and game out all year.

but even ignoring absolutely all of that, if they're selling and rebuilding and really follow through with a tear down, the question is whether AV is a good coach to try to bring a long a team of young players trying to establish themselves in the league versus coaching a team of veterans trying to compete for the cup. He's been a vets first kind of coach and he strongly believes in letting the players lead themselves and if you're moving even more veterans off the team and bringing in more young players, at some point the coach needs to be the guy cracking the whip or teaching the players.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

and the Rangers just called up Gilmore which is either because they needed/wanted 7 D with Staal injured or something else is going on

e: Staal on IR it sounds like

Levitate fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Feb 9, 2018

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Jovial Cow posted:

They’re getting blown out because they have basically 2 lines even when healthy. DD wasn’t cutting it on Montreal’s 4th line and he is our 3C in a best case scenario. Our 4C has been a revolving door of AHLers.

Eh, I've seen teams with worse rosters be harder to play against. Roster is a big part of why they're losing but you can be a bad team that at least competes.

quote:

I really think this was a hold your breath and hope we can make it to next season year after the Stepan Trade. Unfortunately the levee broke. We can Monday quarterback the poo poo out of this and I don’t think we’re finding a solution to fix the bad play in the start of the year or the possession woes even with all the hindsight we have now.

I agree that this season was basically hoping that they'd manage to fly over the top of the holes in the roster and it didn't work out.

The Rangers have been a poor possession team basically since AV came here though, it's by design.

quote:

The other thing is this roster was designed (not this year specifically but over the AV reign) to suit AV’s system. Quick puck moving team with speed. It worked the past several years, we were near the top of the league in scoring for a lot of years. Unfortunately due to the cap situation and general environment they decided they needed to try and “retool on the fly” and it blew up in our face. Turns out retooling on the fly is hard.

I mean part of my issue is that they've actually been getting slower and slower. No one talks about the Rangers as a fast upbeat team anymore. Sure part of that was losing guys like Hagelin, but when the only thing fast about your game is that you occasionally throw the puck down the ice for Grabner or Kreider to chase, you're not actually a fast team. And that all has been changing over several years, not just this year. They're also slow on the forecheck, their slow on the rush, they've slowed down their game a lot since the 2014-2015 days. Is it just the players? Probably plays a part, like I said Hagelin going certainly left a lot of speed out, but the Rangers are also very consciously slowing the play down offensively and being cautious with their forechecking.

quote:

That being said the remnants of this roster is still built to suit AV. If for example Sutter comes in, he’ll probably find these guys don’t work for his system at all.

I'm honestly not sure who is suited to play AV's system at this point. You get a team of skating mobile puck moving defensemen and they all struggle, no one can pick up the system defensively, etc. I'm not sure anymore what makes someone suited to play his system because we haven't seen anyone able to do it well for several years now.

quote:

tl;dr I think the losing is a function of the roster construction and not the coach or system. Left to its own devices the team would be better next year regardless of who is coaching.
[/quote]

I'm probably putting more emphasis on the coaching because I'm frustrated with a lot of stuff I see as systematic issues, and other people might not agree.
The roster needs to be better. It probably won't be next season but the hope is that they'll get some young talented players in the lineup. I am however not sure why people just throw up their hands and say "the coach is faultless and perfect and it's all on the players!"

I think AV is a good coach with the right roster but the Rangers haven't had that roster for several years now

e: and man I said this at the beginning of the year and I'll say it now, if AV would just change his loving defensive system I'd probably a lot more lenient towards him at this point because it's always been super easy to get a ton of shots against the Rangers but teams have been getting better and better at exploiting his system and I'm really not sure what they gain by running it at this point. Plenty of other teams don't run that system but can break the puck out with speed and counter attack just fine.

Levitate fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Feb 9, 2018

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

some guy on hfboards was claiming it's a broken hand

We know he's had a lingering injury for awhile so my guess is they just decided to sit him while they look into trades.

whoa there jeff slow down

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Jovial Cow posted:

:stare:

e: Pavelec in net too. This could be real real bad.

https://twitter.com/J_Tasch/status/...107989393100800

ohhhhhh yeahhhh!

That's like one decent line, one "ok no one will ever shoot hey Grabs go long!" and two AHL lines

e: It's like it's preseason all over again!

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Rangers are back baby

Hire AV

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Filip Chytil also gonna hit a point per game in the AHL as an 18 year old

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Mind_Taker posted:

They play a weird man to man defense at 5v5 which I thought most teams reserve for 4v4 and 3v3 play and I don’t really recall them chasing so much in the defensive zone last year. I thought most teams play a zone-ish defense at 5v5 but I’m honestly not very well-versed in hockey Xs and Os.

Orpik stinks and is getting way too many minutes. But that doesn’t fully explain it either because Alzner stunk last season and they were still able to cope. Losing Schmidt hurts but it shouldn’t hurt that much.

I dunno I feel like Trotz has lost the room even though they are still winning for the most part. They make a few neat individual plays but they aren’t cohesive at all, especially defensively. They don’t look motivated and their breakouts stink. And Trotz’s only response is to treat his young players like children and bench Burakovsky or Vrana, or throw his lines into a blender. Djoos should be getting top 4 minutes over Orpik at the very least bit Trotz just can’t get away from ol’ Brooksie. Again, that won’t solve everything but the fact that he can’t limit Orpik’s minutes despite the team getting caved in while he’s on the ice shows that he really doesn’t have a pulse on the game.

Is AV secretly coaching the Caps

Seriously I thought they were the only ones playing a kind of man on man D

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Slappy Pappy posted:

If Capitals keep playing dumbass man to man defense they will be lucky to make the playoffs. The Metro is tightening up. They look outmatched too often and they only have 11 home games left. I still feel like they’ll make some adjustments and improve but as of right now their coaches and scheme are their second biggest problem. Biggest issue is constant fumblepuck by Niskanen, Orpik and Bowey. People like to scapegoat Orpik - he deserves it to an extent but Niskanen has been the one making horrible turnovers the past few games.

Have they always played this under Trotz and I just didn't pay attention? Seriously that's one of my/the criticisms of AV is that he runs this kind of man on man style defense that when it works it can work really well but is just hard to play and have everyone on the same page at the same time so it often breaks down with a bunch of guys looking around trying to figure out where they should go

It's freaking me out that all the criticism of the Caps coaching is basically word for word my criticism of AV's coaching :tinfoil:

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

ThinkTank posted:

It's 2 weeks until the NHL trade deadline and the 31 teams in the league have completed 20 trades involving players who have appeared in the NHL this season since the season began. Of those 20, only 10 have included players who appear in their NHL lineups regularly. Of those 10, only 3 involved players that play above the 4th line/bottom pairing/backup position.

They claimed that the lack of trades was due to the looming expansion draft last year. What's their excuse this year because this GM inertia sucks. The NHL seems to be the only league that totally fails to recognize the incredible free advertising the excitement around big trades brings. The Cavs going nuts at the deadline was front page news and probably resulted in several million additional viewers for their next couple games. Why doesn't the NHL actively encourage things like that?

Every team has gotten super protective of their picks and prospects and no one wants to gently caress up a trade so the market has dried up compared to what it used to be. The fear of the salary cap and getting trapped into a bad situation seems to be loving with GMs minds.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

OldSenileGuy posted:

I’ll be honest, even though I’m all-in for the fire sale and potential tank, and want the Rangers to sell off anything not nailed down.....there’s still a part of me that’s happy to see them winning lately and hope they drag a half-Wolfpack team into the playoffs, just to “see what happens”

Then I saw that if the Rangers miss the playoffs this year then that means ticket prices will stay the same for next year so TANK! TANK! TANK!

Team probably isn't going to tank far enough to get a legit shot at Dahlen or a top 3 pick but people are gonna be so pissed off when they end up in the 15-ish range

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

lmao Kampfer has a broken hand and is out 4-6 weeks so now the Rangers called up Ryan Sproul

Their defense is

Skjei
Holden
Gilmore
Pionk
Sproul
DeAngelo

lol

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

OldSenileGuy posted:

So who subs in when Holden gets traded? Can Bereglazov come back?

I wonder...can't remember if he'd have to go through waivers or not

Graves would probably be the next one up.

Zodijackylite posted:

It's going to be funny when the Rangers defense is serviceable when it's mostly AHL guys who can move.

A team of Adam Clendenning's

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Pionk is really more of an onomatopoeia

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

i am the bird posted:

I didn’t even realize Ryan Sproul didn’t play for Detroit anymore. Would the Rangers like any more of their useless defensemen? Detroit has a bunch!

I think they traded for him just to get an AHL defensemen and then everyone got hurt and blah blah blah surely this time Sproul will make his mark in the NHL

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Mark Streit technically played a few games this season. Same with Steve Bernier.

oh yeah mike fisher lol

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Aye Doc posted:

how da gently caress Matt Hendricks still playin hockey

silky mitts hendricks

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Kreider healthy and set to return to practice

https://nypost.com/2018/02/13/rarin...=site%20buttons

And jesus christ athletes are insane :psyduck:

quote:

Kreider explained that his second rib was closer than normal to his first rib and thus pushed it up, causing his collarbone to protrude.

“I’ve had a big bump on one side of my chest since I was very young,” he said. “It ached occasionally, but it had never really been a problem.

“Then in the fall, I started to have some trouble breathing. I’d be out of breath sometimes when I never had before. I’d come to the bench tired after shifts, even some shorter ones, I was having a harder time recovering, and I really couldn’t figure it out. For two or three weeks there, I was coughing up blood at times, but I never said anything. I mean, you never really feel that good during the season, so I thought that it was just part of it.

“And then when we came back after the [Christmas] break, I woke up the morning of the Washington game and my right arm was numb,” said the 26-year-old workout machine. “I figured maybe I’d slept on it the wrong way. But then after the first period my arm had swollen to basically twice its size and the docs took a look at it and could see that the circulation had been completely cut off and got me to the hospital immediately.”

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Jovial Cow posted:

Whoa. I hope he really is healthy and isn’t coming back early to try and save the season.

If the doctors say he can go off blood thinners and is OK to return to the ice then I'm sure it's OK. I don't think they'd let him back out there if he wasn't medically cleared

Gunjin posted:

Barry loving Trotz.

https://twitter.com/ikhurshudyan/st...innipeg-jets%2F

The man never met a rookie he didn't jerk around. I wonder what stat encompasses arena specific good play vs actually being good at hockey.

p.s. Chiasson sucks in every arena, he's a thoroughly mediocre hockey man.

This is like the definition of bullshit over coaching

e: mm hmm

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/31-thoughts-no-shortage-rick-nash-suitors-ahead-deadline/

quote:

5. Nashville definitely is all in on Rick Nash. The question is if they can outbid a large field. They already dealt Sam Girard, Vladislav Kamenev and their second-round pick in the Kyle Turris deal, so how deep are they willing to go? A first-rounder that might be 27th or lower won’t do it. They’ve still got excellent prospects (Dante Fabbro and Eeli Tolvanen atop the list) and no doubt the Rangers will try to leverage from those.

Levitate fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Feb 13, 2018

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Thufir posted:

Poile don’t trade Tolvanen or Fabbro for Nash, you have never made a good deadline addition trade

no please do

Nash would be the Preds 3rd leading goal scorer, just 1 off the team lead. I bet he'd be a good add for them

I can just hope for an overpayment though ;)

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

hey melnyk I bet you can save even more money by just not owning a hockey team have you ever thought of that?

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Koopa Kid posted:

I mean I don’t actually think that’d get the deal done but he’s a 1 year UFA and most people overestimate what their stars are gonna get back, so prepare yourself. Hamonic cost a few picks and he was in a much better contract/career position than McD last year.

Hamonic isn't near the defenseman McDonagh is

I don't think the Leafs would be smart to trade for McDonagh honestly because I don't think they're a real contender this year or next but I don't think people can just go down their roster/prospect list and go "eh this guy is alright but we can live without him so let's throw him into the deal and say it's good enough"

If the Leafs want some help on D for a rental they could look at Holden who would cost them a pick or so. He's actually solid enough if you're not trying to rely on him as a top pairing guy (or pairing him with Marc Staal)

This is always the same poo poo with fans when talking about a trade for a big player. No one wants to give up anything of value and they rationalize how they can offer poo poo and no that's really actually a good deal and blah blah

e: That said I suspect the Rangers are going to have a hard time getting a good young roster player in return but they should be scoring at least one blue chip prospect in all of this, not a b level prospect

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Koopa Kid posted:

Whatever you think of the market, no playoff team is going to cripple their actual roster for a glorified rental and nobody’s given me an example of a different scenario. McD’s value is going to be in futures no matter who trades for him, and if the Rags hold on to him to the draft and a team gets one playoff run out of him instead of two he’ll be worth less, not more.

I agree no team is going to cripple their playoff roster for him (though calling him a glorified rental is weird), but when looking at a team like Tampa you could argue that it doesn't hurt them to trade Sergachev for McDonagh. Sergachev plays sheltered minutes and does quite well with them but McDonagh can play 25+ minutes per night in all situations and give you an incredible 1-2 punch with him and Hedman. That improves Tampa right now and gives them two shots at a cup run with that setup.

Does Tampa want to do that? Who knows. I'm sure they view that as a painful cost and have to decide whether it's worth it. It improves their team right now and gives them a better chance at the cup, but 3+ years down the road maybe it's not worth it if they don't win a cup.

On the other hand, maybe it's better for the Rangers to clean up on prospects and picks as you're not going to get as good a player as McDonagh in return anyways.

With the Leafs, I dunno, I'm not going to make guesses on what they might want to give up or not right now. I guess the only thing would be what their cap situation is, who needs new contracts and when, and what that means to a potential window they might see opening. Personally I'm not sold they're a contender but there may be other factors.

Your argument is also kind of funny in that you're saying "the Rangers shouldn't expect to get much for him because they're under pressure to trade him now and if they don't he'll lose value". His value is low so you have to trade him before he loses value. I don't totally buy it.

Ultimately I'm sure I"ll be disappointed in the return though.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Gunjin posted:

Shoot Orpik into the sun.

https://www.japersrink.com/2018/2/14/17010868/brooks-orpiks-atrocious-season-capitals

He's not just bad, this year he's having single worst D performance by a Capital in the modern stats tracking era. Worse than Erskine, worse than Jurcina, worse than Chorney, god drat it worse than Tyler loving Sloan.

turns out when you run a man system, your slowest guys with the worst puck moving abilities tend to struggle even more

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Wonderllama posted:

Sorry, posted that late. I think that the rangers could be happy with a first, foote, and raddysh. One must imagine gorton happy.

Unfortunately, mackyD is a LD and we already got this hedman guy, and this sergachev behind him, and koekkoek and coburn....

Sergy gets sheltered minutes and McDonagh is a big upgrade to him right now

plus McD could play RD if they really wanted.

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Right, what I mean is that the Rangers are going to want one of those established NHL young guys that Boston has. Pastrnak and McAvoy are untouchable but Heinen and Carlo? Maybe not. I meant I don't think Boston makes the trade if that's the ask instead of guys like Vaakaneinan/Lauzon/1sts.

Carlo's kind of rear end though, dunno much about Heinen. I agree there's no way they'd get Pastrnak or McAvoy

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

McDonagh submitted his list of 10 no trade teams

Seems to be getting more likely he's traded now and not at the draft

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Rangers are going to get absolutely trashed by the Islanders tonoight aren't they

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Zodijackylite posted:

4) Neal Pionk led the Rangers with 23:04 TOI tonight. It's not like AV has much of a choice but to give rookies ice time, but that's more than Skjei and Holden.

5) Nick Holden was on the ice for all three goals against. While Nash and Grabner are boosting their trade value, this guy is reminding people that he's only worth a mid-round pick, or maybe a prospect with a third-pairing ceiling and AHL floor.

Skjei has had a pretty inconsistent sophmore season in general. I think he'll bounce back

Can't remember Holden being responsible for any of the goals against

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Halverson sucks

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Rangers fallin’ for Dahlin

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

heeheex2 posted:

Edmonton losing is bad, they’re incredibly close to dead last aka best chance at the first pick (and a guaranteed top 4, in a draft where the top 4/5 picks look to range from almost generational to just insanely god drat good)

Please win more games oilers (also pls lose more games canucks thanks )

They’ll still manage to ruin it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

woke up this morning, Rangers still bad

• Locked thread