Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Players might be turning on the coaches in NY though, depending on who and how that shakes out may mean removing coaches sooner than later

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Have to think the ask for Karlsson would be huge but it’s Melnyk so if you take back enough money he might even throw in a few picks

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Eh Holden is alright if you don’t try to play him over his head all the time

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Trade rick Nash for tolvanen somehow some way

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Breakout year at 30 is pretty suspect

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Rangers are terrible and really committing to the tank

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

https://twitter.com/JSportsnet/status/968232431328272384

that's far more than he did for Brian Leetch...

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Weird that the McDonagh trade hasn't been announced yet though...

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

the rangers defensive problems thus far start far more with their forwards than their defensemen...

Their D depth isn't good right now for sure though and no one is playing particularly well regardless of their potential

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Alright taking a stab at it

Kreider-Zibanejad-Buchnevich
Spooner-Hayes-Zucc
Vesey-Namestnikov-Fast
Carey-Desharnais-Lettieri

Staal-DeAngelo
Skjei-Pionk
O'Gara-Gilmour

Fairly confident the forwards will look something like that, the D is more unsettled. Skjei or Staal could swap partners, and they're missing a righty in the lineup unless they call up someone else but there isn't much in Hartford at the moment.

Doubt we'll see Chytil or Andersson up any time soon since the roster is pretty full of players with at least some NHL experience. Maybe at the end for just a taste.

There's some amount of "the top two lines have talent but need to be able to produce with it, the third line looks grindy but can pop in some goals, and the fourth line is mostly blah but can surprise you sometimes".

IMO they could really use some talent stepping in next season like Chytil, Andersson, or Howden, to help get some more depth in the lineup. On defense going forward I don't think there's much else for next season barring more trades or signings. Shattenkirk will be back, they'll hope Skjei can straighten himself out, etc. Most of the guys they picked up aren't going to be pushing for a spot for another year or so.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

a false posted:

here's my take of the day: the edmonton oilers, despite getting very lucky with the draft lottery, actually got pretty unlucky within those parameters by having two of their lottery wins in 2011 and 2012 where they were basically locked into a pick that was never going to pan out into a foundational player. there wasn't a single other team in the league that would have picked anyone other than RNH or yakupov first overall in either of those drafts.

this is of course not to say that there wasn't gross mismanagement elsewhere that's contributed to the oilers being a bad team despite all their firsts

yeah they also drafted like absolute poo poo outside of their top picks which means they never built up much cheap depth

And wtf, when did the Caps become the Rangers of old

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

hifi posted:

people said that about this draft with hischier/patrick and the problem is, i'd rather have those guys than whoever the coyotes got.

Derek Stepan?

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Wonderllama posted:

Yzerman said he’s 5-7 days away from coming back and that he should “take his time”. I’m hoping the couple weeks he’s had off will mean he’s coming back healthy.

But it’s not like the lightning have a history of healthy playoffs or anything so he’s probably gonna die.

yeah he's recovering from a broken hand now

He had something else going on earlier too and was getting a lot of maintenance days but I'm sure the rest for the hand will help whatever that was.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Matt Zerella posted:

Hasn't he always had shoulder problems too?

I think he's had maybe two shoulder injuries (separated shoulders) from getting checked from behind into the boards? I feel like the last one was years ago now though. But yeah that's also a concern.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Rick’s should say “Nashty”

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

Hey everyone Eric Staal had a hat trick tonight.

HE HAS 33 GOALS what in the gently caress

gently caress that goddamn rear end in a top hat

Rangers made a dumb trade for him and he played like poo poo and then pouted that he wasn't used as their top center when they had two guys playing better than him anyways. Then he hosed off and now has a career revival in Minnesota

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Hall is making me like him with the way he's ripping Edmonton for being poo poo

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

ThinkTank posted:

Between 2008 and 2011 they drafted Stepan, Del Zotto, Kreider, Fast and Miller. None of those guys are world beaters, but that's a pretty drat good supporting cast. Outside of the top 3-5 picks in the draft, a first round pick has maybe a 1 in 15 chance of being a certifiable star player. The Rangers were considerably above average success wise during that stretch. :shrug:

yeah their problem is that they have very very rarely drafted high and also have had some major wiffs (Brendl and Lundmark in 99, Jessiman in 2003 when they could have had Parise, Getzlaf, etc. McIlrath in 2010 when they could have taken Tarasenko) not to mention one time when they had a real good talent fall to them, Cherepanov ended up dying.

Andersson last year also doesn't seem like a 70 point player but is probably still going to be a good pick. Chytil maybe has that little bit of something extra that could turn him into a legit offensive star so we'll see how that works out...but assuming their draft pick this year is going to be in the top 10 they really need to hit it big. Maybe even top 5 if they're lucky...

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Matt Zerella posted:

Staal was really good early on. Really good. Then his dipshit brother killed him and here we are.

That and losing an eye

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

ThinkTank posted:

Yeah, they have a boat load of prospects but no one I would structure a rebuild around at this point. Chytil and Andersson are trending well, but today you'd be hard pressed to say they'll be anything more than complementary pieces in five years' time.

Eh they're both producing well in the AHL as 18 and 19 year olds, that's pretty impressive. I guess it depends on what you define "complementary pieces" as. Is everyone who's not an outright elite talent a complementary piece? Then sure. But I do think you have to build a team around a core group of players and they could be a part of that core.

quote:

I don't think it'll be a quick turn around for them outside of some incredible lottery luck, but they've successfully changed their approach to the future which is the right thing to do. I see them more like the Islander pre-Tavares: lots of second tier youngsters, but devoid of a face of the franchise type to given them a real style to build around. Once that guy is in place I think they'll surge back to respectability in short order though.

I mean honestly that's how their team has been for the past decade or whatever anyways. The only real star has been Lundqvist and while they've brought in some guys to try to be that elite talent, most of them have only lasted about a year or so in that role for various reasons. They've stayed competitive basically be being the prototype for a team like Vegas. Deep team with a lot of 2nd liner types and you can just keep rolling them out there. Things started taking a down turn when they lost a lot of that depth for various reasons.

Without the guarantee of a franchise elite player I think you just have to put together the best group of players you can and you can still be a really good team without that elite player, but to win the cup is sure does fuckin' help...

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

drat that draft was pretty bad in the 1st round outside of a couple players

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

wasn't Brule also undersized? He ended up having a bunch of injuries because it turns out playing a reckless style when you're a small guy is pretty hard on the body

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Mind_Taker posted:

Eh I'm not so sure about that.

http://corsica.hockey/war/

Corsica has made a WAR stat and in terms of goalies Lundqvist has a WAR of ~58 since 2007-08, the next best is Price with ~29. I have no idea how good this WAR stat is but it doesn't surprise me that Lundqvist would have far and away the best WAR of any player, including skaters, since they started tracking it.

Lundqvist's consistency has been remarkable, pretty much unmatched by any goalie. Goalie performances have a ton of variance on a year-to-year basis, except for Lundqvist. Even great goalies like Price, Holtby, Bobrovsky, etc. have had poo poo seasons. Lundqvist should be compared to Hasek when his career is over, not just another really good goalie.

But since he rarely had years with eye popping numbers he's going to go down as "pretty good" and maybe make the hall based on longevity and not the fact that he was one of the most consistent goalies to play the game throughout his career and was basically relied upon to bail his team out from the day he first stepped on the ice for the Rangers.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

ThinkTank posted:

He had 7 straight seasons with a SV% above .920, as a Canucks fan during the Luongo/Schneider days and beyond I know what it's like to forget what league average goaltending is like. When he's gone you're going to lament having ever taken numbers like that for granted.

Oh yeah I sure as poo poo appreciate him, I'm just saying other people look at his stats and think "a .920?? that's barely above average! what a bum!"

Hopefully Shestyorkin can come in and at least be a good goalie for the future but losing that consistency will be rough

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Zodijackylite posted:

Lundqvist has been a dominant player for a decade who dragged some downright mediocre Rangers teams to the playoffs almost every year for a decade. The only team he couldn't drag to the playoffs had four other goalies who started ten games and won three, and featured Donald Brashear, Jody Shelley, Brandon Prust. Their trade deadline acquisitions were a 35-year-old Anders Eriksson, who hadn't scored a goal since 2007, and AHL grinder Kris Newbury. That team missed the playoffs by one point.

Olli! :argh:

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

it's ok it's now 3-2 after the Rangers got back to Rangering

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Rangers D system is so trash

Hayes has been on fire lately and Spooner seems to be playing well with him. I think Hayes' growth as a player into a guy who is a somewhat decent 2 way player kind of paved the way for Miller to be traded one way or another. No way they were ever keeping both of them but Hayes is somehow the more consistent player despite not scoring as much as Miller. I don't really know how that works but...

• Locked thread