Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

Slappy Pappy posted:

I think it's just Zodijacky spamming the button.

I'm really playing the part of my Rick Nash avatar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

OldSenileGuy posted:

I imagine the "keep" list will be the guys you mentioned plus Miller OR Hayes, but not both. And I don't think it's necessarily a "safe" list, more of a "these guys are available but only if you really blow us away with your offer"

I agree. Miller and Hayes are both good all-around players who are still pretty young (24/25), will be worth the term and value of their upcoming RFA contracts, and will still be able to play their roles on this team in a few years. Miller probably gets a comparable deal to Zibanejad, while Hayes probably gets less due to his lower point production this year.

Both of them will be good pieces if the Rangers try to compete within the next 1-3 years, and their trade value should stay strong, too.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

What would the Penguins offer for Miller? They don't seem to have any great prospects or players much younger than Miller. He's only 24 so he's not moving for pure futures - it'd have to be a good hockey trade.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Matt Zerella posted:

I thought the reentry 50% thing was eliminated with the last CBA?

Correct - re-entry waivers no longer exists.

Starting in 1977, there was a waiver draft to start every season. Teams could protect a full roster - 18 skaters and 2 goalies, with rookies exempt - and teams could select any unprotected players, to promote competitive balance and let players go to an NHL team there they could play. It was also to prevent NHL teams from stashing NHL talents in the AHL, but that part of it became obsolete, along with re-entry waivers some years later. The waiver draft last happened in 2003, and re-entry waivers were eliminated in the 2013 CBA.

Waivers are favorable to players - if their team doesn't want them in the NHL, any team who will keep them on an NHL roster can take them. If that team wants them back, they don't need to wait 24 hour or risk going to another team when their NHL team wants to bring them back to the big league.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

He's the Ducks backup goalie.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

DD will come out of nowhere and make a great pass or score a goal, but whenever you watch him with the puck it seems like he's just turning it over with no pressure.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Brendan Smith cleared waivers and was assigned to the AHL.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

AV used to make a lot of good decisions in deployments and can get the best out of players at times. It's also glaring when he doesn't do these things. He got 34 points out of Nick Holden last year by finding him some sheltered minutes. Now he's playing him on his off side on the first pair. See also, Pavel Buchnevich, fourth liner.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

grack posted:

You're absolutely delusional if you think a new coach is going to make New York any better. You can complain all you want about misusing players or whatever the gently caress but it doesn't get past the issue that the Rangers' roster simply isn't very good.

Any other coach would try to make changes when they are giving up 30+ shots every night and often give up 10-20 more shot attempts then they take.

But this is the coach who, early in the season with a healthy roster, iced a team with seven defensemen and three centers. I think he even went with 8D one game.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Why wouldn't the league want another successful expansion team? This new team is a free $650m. If Vegas wins the cup and Seattle succeeds, then the dreams of $1b for expansion to Quebec might happen.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Skjei-Kampfer
Holden-DeAngelo
Gilmour-Pionk

Oh man, am I glad I've been out of the country for a week and brought back a suitcase full of rum.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Hubert LaBrie is a good minor league hockey name.

Looks like the Rangers added an AHL defenseman, which makes sense since they've recalled a few of those. The other three guys in the trade are forwards. All are AHL depth, at best.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

A Typical Goon posted:

I’ve literally never heard of like 5 of these guys and I think I follow hockey fairly closely

You've probably heard of McLeod, which makes it that much worse.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Reposting from a couple pages ago.

https://twitter.com/JapersRink/status/961340680227508224

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Last night's game was good. It seems like the rookies made fewer defensive mistakes than the vets have been making. It was great to have Tony D and Johnny Gilmour moving the puck. For the first time this year, we saw a team that could move the puck around the offensive zone, and even recover if the puck left the zone. This is going to be some watchable hockey with these young guys.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Mind_Taker posted:

Cool now the Caps just need to jettison Orpik.

Feb 26 will mark the two-year anniversary since he scored his last goal.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Rangers have recalled goalie Alexander Georgiev. Looks like Pavelec's injury will keep him out of the lineup.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

It's going to be funny when the Rangers defense is serviceable when it's mostly AHL guys who can move.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

a false posted:

i bet you could throw one made up name into the list of the current list of rangers defensemen and about 95% of nhl fans wouldn't be able to correctly identify it

Is it Sergey Zborovskiy or Hubert Labrie? Those are both real players on the Wolf Pack

Rangers system is depleted at defense - Hartford has 6 D, Greenville has 5 and has two guys on loan from the SPHL. One of those guys is listed as D/F and his statline in the ECHL is 26GP, 0G, 1A, 60PIM.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Ottawa is not very deep at forward, and are tied for 28th in the league in goals for. Gaborik only has 14 points this year, but that puts him on their third line. Gabby's seven goals would tie him for 6th on the Senators.

His legs are literally held together by athletic tape, but he can probably still improve the Sens depth scoring.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Gaborik may also retire before the end of his contract - the last two years are less salary and this one was structured to avoid cap recapture rules. He turns 36 tomorrow. I could see him retiring after next year and leaving that last $6m of his $100m in NHL contracts on the table to play in Europe with fewer games (since he's injured for 30 per year anyway.)

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

McDonagh is definitely being used like CBJ used Nash - to find out which players are potentially available from other teams. I don't think they trade him soon unless they manage to pry lose one of those almost untouchable pieces.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Dido is a guy who I learned of when looking at who Gaborik was replacing in the lineup. He made the NHL last year at age 27, and has ten points this year, four of them on the power play.

Looks like he got replaced by Zombie Marian Gaborik!

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Five thoughts:

1) Gaborik scored a goal and an assist in his debut for the Senators - looks like he can bring some scoring depth to a team in dire need of it. They've definitely put some guys on the first line who can't keep up, but Gaborik brings some skills. He has a lot of wear and tear, but he'll have a long summer to get some rest.

2) Phaneuf scored the Kings' only goal in his debut tonight, but scoring a goal doesn't seem that impressive when Ryan Reaves does it first.

3) Rangers took 50 shots tonight and got shutout. That was Halak's first shutout of the year. Surprisingly, he has 42 career shutouts.

4) Neal Pionk led the Rangers with 23:04 TOI tonight. It's not like AV has much of a choice but to give rookies ice time, but that's more than Skjei and Holden.

5) Nick Holden was on the ice for all three goals against. While Nash and Grabner are boosting their trade value, this guy is reminding people that he's only worth a mid-round pick, or maybe a prospect with a third-pairing ceiling and AHL floor.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Skjei has moved from a sheltered role on a good team to a tougher role on a not-so-good team. He still looks good, but he also hasn't been able to use his skating to join the rush as much simply because the forwards have struggled to enter the zone regularly. It's going to be tougher as he takes on tougher defensive assignments (especially if/when McDonagh is traded) but I think he'll also benefit greatly from these young, mobile defensemen that are poised to replace the ancient statues which patrol the Rangers blueline.

I don't think Holden was directly responsible for any of the Rangers goals tonight, but he didn't look very good.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Georgiev was scheduled to make his NHL debut against Ottawa tomorrow, but he got the flu. Rangers recalled Brandon Halverson from Hartford. We're going to find out how deep the Wolf Pack are.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

5.35m per for Backlund.

A glance at his age (29) and point totals (100 in the last two years, but never broke 40 before that) is a bit questionable, but his possession stats are great, and he seems to produce fairly consistently at even strength. Stats don't tell the whole story, but I seem to recall commentators calling him a very complete player with a good defensive game last year.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

A player for the pool of guys you didn't think were still in the league: Braydon Coburn

Brandon Mashinter got called up/sent down this week.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Levitate posted:

Players might be turning on the coaches in NY though, depending on who and how that shakes out may mean removing coaches sooner than later

They're all rookies it about to be traded. Or maybe Hayes and Miller really hate him.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Ryan Malone also played in the AHL this season, but was released from his contract in December when he didn't make the Olympic team.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Wings are retaining on an expiring deal, Flyers have 8m in cap space left with four goalies on the roster.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

ThinkTank posted:

How much does the pending Gudbranson extension move your needle? Because that's something.

I'll hold my needle right here so you can pinch yourself and wake up from this nightmare.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

I imagine Ryan will only waive good on go to a potential contender, like a team looking to get EK.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Holden can add some offense on a third pairing. Any higher and he's outmatched.

Great trade for the Rangers, though.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

It's bad defenseman day!

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

corn on the cop posted:

that gudbranson contract is bad but not as bad as I anticipated it would be, so it’s kind of a letdown imo

Yeah, the term is short enough that it won't handcuff then once they're ready to compete.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Tell me about Rob O'Gara - potential #6/7 or career AHLer?

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Looks like we send the Yale guy back to Connecticut.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

To be fair, everyone expect Skjei was an AHL defenseman a couple weeks ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Skjei - Pionk
Gilmour - DeAngelo
O'Gara - Sproul

Bonus points if you recognize which one I made up.

• Locked thread