Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
Is Alex Nylander already a bust?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

ThinkTank posted:

Craig Button released his list of top 50 NHL affiliated prospects.

1. Elias Pettersson (VAN)
2. Eeli Tolvanen (NSH)
3. Martin Necas (CAR)
4. Cody Glass (VGK)
5. Casey Mittelstadt (BUF)

Three Russian goalies were listed in the top 10 for some reason

https://www.tsn.ca/cupboard-is-stocked-for-up-and-coming-canucks-1.989909

Weird that Liljegren didn't even make the top-50. I know I am a homer, but Pronman had him 13th last month.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

a false posted:

they also have andersson above chytil which makes no sense. i think craig button is usually a decent enough talent evaluator but the list is bad

I checked Pronman, and he had Chytil 11th and ranked Andersson as an Honorable Mention (the list only went to 50 and didn't include anyone in the NHL at the time he was writing).

I wonder if Button would have ranked Dermott or Kapanen over Liljegren.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

The Ottawa Senators were so bad when I was a kid, and because I didn't know any better, I actually thought Jamie Baker was a good hockey player. I don't even know why he sticks out in my mind, considering he only played on season with the team.

I am glad Vegas has some actual good players.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

stab posted:

To be fair Gaudreau did score at a .75ppg his rookie year

Chambers had a rating of 1

ONE

IGN used to have an interview with Chambers about it. I say used to, because I can't seem to find it, and all the links to it just take me to IGN's homepage. I seem to remember he was pretty cool about it.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

This is a weird question. But I am wondering who is the most surprising player who is still playing. Like, a dude you haven't thought of in years, and then bam, they're still inexplicably in the NHL. The two names that come to mind for me are Ales Hemsky and Marian Gaborik. I think Peter Budaj also counts.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Genuinely surprised Steve Bernier is still playing.

Was going to say Mike Fisher, but since he is unretiring, I recently thought of him.

Jason Chimera has back-to-back 20-goal seasons coming into this year?? What?

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Legitimately confused how "Chewie, we're home. And by that I mean we're going to win this home game," made it into the magazine.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

ThinkTank posted:

Like Loui Eriksson who is objectively so forgettable that he make Brendan Gaunce look like an electrifying player but still gets 16 minutes a night because he's paid $6M. Sven Baertschi who is considerably less sucky gets scratched in favour of him.

Or Erik Gudbranson who is on track to sign a $16-18M deal today and never gets his minutes reduced in any way despite the fact that 1) he sucks 2) he really sucks 3) he really really sucks. Ben Hutton has been scratched 10 times in the last 23 games even though he's way better. Mostly because Gudbranson is a 'vet' and Hutton is a 'kid' because of the whopping 15 month age difference between the two.

Or Brandon Sutter. Or Sam Gagner. Or Derek Dorsett until his neck broke. Or Alex Biega. Or Michael Del Zotto. Or Derick Pouliot for some bizarre reason. Or Jayson Megna. Or Alex Chaput.

God this team is such a bore.

It's cool that if I made a mock team featuring all the most boring players in the NHL that the Canucks would make up half the team.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Yeah, I am not even sure if Dal Colle still has that prospect shine on him.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

a false posted:

it's about both, but having a draft lottery is definitely good considering the way that the nhl draft usually lines up (one or two world class, no doubt talents at the top and much more guesswork beyond that). it's good, for example, that while a team can guarantee themselves a high pick, they can't guarantee themselves connor mcdavid

Yeah, exactly. The Leafs look really good, mostly because they have gotten 3 excellent players in 3 consecutive drafts. Sure, they drafted high, and there is a greater likelihood that they will get those great players, but it's not a guarantee.

It's kind of hard to do, and it always appears easy in hindsight.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

I remember being mad when the Leafs passed on Kylington over Dermott.

I know nothing about prospects.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

Hey everyone Eric Staal had a hat trick tonight.

HE HAS 33 GOALS what in the gently caress

He also scored 28 goals last year -- something I didn't know until I just checked. How the gently caress is Eric Staal a PPG player this year?

Levitate posted:

gently caress that goddamn rear end in a top hat

Rangers made a dumb trade for him and he played like poo poo and then pouted that he wasn't used as their top center when they had two guys playing better than him anyways. Then he hosed off and now has a career revival in Minnesota

I completely forgot that Staal played for the Rangers.

a false posted:

because i hate myself, i went back in every team's history to find their most recent draftee to score 70 points for them (ie, not after being traded to another team; and not a player acquired via trade/free agency). i wanted to see if anyone could have possibly done worse than the rangers in this category. years are draft years. let's find out!

Toronto Maple Leafs - Nikolai Borschevsky (1992) (Auston Matthews will surely eclipse this very soon, and Marner and Nylander very well may also)

Borschevsky is a Leafs legend.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Levitate posted:

drat that draft was pretty bad in the 1st round outside of a couple players

Yeah, while the Rangers unfortunately picked 11th, it didn't really matter in that draft. Other than Price & Rask (two goalies the Rangers wouldn't have much use for except as trade bait), there's maybe only 4 players I'd take over Staal in the first. 3 of those players were drafted before Staal.

ThinkTank posted:

In his D+1 season Gilbert Brule was one of the most dominant WHL players in history putting up 39 goals and 68pts in 45 games (regular season and playoffs) en route to a memorial cup. He's become the textbook example of a guy rushed into the league, but he was a genuinely fantastic prospect who's career went off the rails due to a combination of injuries, a father who embezzled his money and depression. I wouldn't chalk that one up to misjudgment of his talent as a teenager.

iirc, HFBoards used to group Brule with Malkin, Ovechkin, and Crosby, a year before the 2005 draft.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

a false posted:

i had always liked him before then but i will never forgive him for that awful shootout move

e: on that note, how many people remember what team drafted olli jokinen? i looked it up when i was looking up draft picks who had scored 70 points for their draft teams and i had completely forgotten

My guess was the Islanders, but after looking, that’s the team that traded him to Florida in the Luongo deal (one of the many terrible Islanders deals at the time).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

a false posted:

it's amazing that somehow a young olli jokinen and roberto luongo for mark parrish and oleg kvasha wasn't even the worst trade that milbury made

Always good to remind people that he traded Chara, someone called Bill Muckalt, and the 2nd overall pick in 2001 (which would become Spezza) for Alexei Yashin.

• Locked thread