Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

ThinkTank posted:

A 30 year old Olympic level professional athlete

Please. He's no Brian Gionta.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I remember people upset the last GM didn't get rid of him because he was over the hill.

That was what? 5 years?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Mike_V posted:

The NHL ruled this a goal because the refs said Allen could not get back to save this puck

https://twitter.com/Buccigross/status/959225079811985413

They're obviously just rolling dice now.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

LumpyGumby posted:

I was watching that live and was furious when they actually called it a goal, and had to use a challenge after to get it corrected. And yeah, the shortie after was hilarious.

Between that, the bruins hitting the Blues goalie away, and the Hellebyuck hit, they really relaxed too much on that poo poo.

Bettman was on CBC during the ASG saying that they're going to start instructing referees to rely heavily on the call on the ice, and only flip things if it's especially egregious.

Which I thought the Bruins goal would be but apparently not.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

CBJSprague24 posted:

https://twitter.com/treed1919/status/959130069313744896

I don't want to see Artemi Panarin in a scrap but I kind of do to see if he just loses his mind and starts curbstomping the hell out of some shithead because he forgets where he is. He somehow gets Tom Wilson to the ground and forgets the fight's supposed to be over at that point, for example.

Artemi Panarin, if you're reading this, please. I have a lot of money and it can be yours.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Does he know he's old?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

FBS posted:

What happened with the Bruins to make them good?

Rask is back to his old form, and it turns out the pack of rookie defensemen are actually pretty good.

Also Adam McQuaid was hurt.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Rask is being Rask again and rookies stepping in and filling important roles. Specifically, the middle six. Boston struggled with depth despite Marchand-Bergeron-Pastrnak being one of the best lines in the league. DeBrusk and Heinen have been a huge asset. Cassidy seems to actually be a very good coach too.

Also doesn't hurt to draft two top-4 defensemen capable of stepping in as teens in McAvoy and Carlo.

Also, McQuaid was hurt.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's premeditated murder, whatever it was actually called for.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Duckman2008 posted:

I mean, it’s a penalty. I think it’s ridiculous because they ignore similar interference calls like this for all games all the time. It’s a huge issue. If Forseberg doesn’t hit the head, there’s no suspension.

I guess the head part should mean 1-3 games, for me it’s more that the NHL is just horrendously inconsistent on calls like this.

...Well yes, if the hit was safe but just late the Department of Player Safety probably would not have suspended him.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

grack posted:

The hit was late (and thus illegal), there was head contact and Vesey was injured. Why is that suspension "terrible"?

A Nashville did it and they're the meme team this year, taking over from Florida some time last season.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Thufir posted:

The marginal cost of one extra person in the arena is probably pretty low, so in the short run it's probably than the seat being vacant.

Probably $0, I don't imagine they bring in staff based on attendance.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Jovial Cow posted:

Can someone please devils advocate this for me? I’m astonished there was no penalty for that hit on Stall nor a suspension.

It would have been a legal hit if Staal did not stop and was planning to phase through the boards, his braking is what caused his head to lower and take the contact.

Emelin cannot reasonably be expected to know Staal could not phase through solid objects so he is not at fault.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Worth it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Take what he's realistically worth, and add a 1st rounder plus a prospect to it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

One rule that supersedes the trading in division one is trading old dudes to New York.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I'm not reading that because this whole thing is pathetic.

Winnipeg is very bad, but not for the dumb reasons the Sharks gave.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Mine is good.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

heeheex2 posted:

Am I just missing the jets top 5 prospects or did he forget about the jets

I see them at the bottom of the list.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

He became good at scoring goals at 30 years old though which is always risky.

(Other than that one crazy year in NYI.)

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Jamwad Hilder posted:

That's how they tend to do it though, I thought? Actual writer interviews the guy and writes it down in a narrative format.

Yeah but apparently his was very short.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Feb 7, 2018

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

a false posted:

honestly even in a straight line kreider has never looked that fast to me?

Put a goalie on the other end.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

DJExile posted:

https://twitter.com/NHLPlayerSafety/status/961262113745403904

Bob McKenzie says he's still eligible to be suspended 6+

Yeah, they only have to offer the in person. The player can decline.

Usually that means the player knows they have no real defense.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's longer than you think, Phil. Longer than you think.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

MazelTovCocktail posted:

It's pretty crazy how much money he loses from it.

Yeah, imagine paying Alex Burrows that much.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Jamwad Hilder posted:

yeah. do they have some kind of "first round choker" label that I am unaware of? They've made the Cup Finals twice in their last five appearances lol

io's only been here like 10 months, she doesn't know all the gimmicks yet.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Vegas has plenty of cap space for Karlsson.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Doughty had 27 points as a rookie.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The extra year in the NHL is way, way more of a factor than age.

I'm not saying I think he'll score 60 next year or that I necessarily agree with Jamwad but at that age range playing in the NHL and more importantly having access to NHL quality training programs and equipment and all that is much more important than aging a bit.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Feb 8, 2018

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Jamwad Hilder posted:

A lot of it is because they don't have to play him 30 minutes a night anymore. Used to be the defense was garbage outside of Chara and Krug, but McAvoy, Carlo, and Grzelcyk have all been able to step in, and Kevan Miller isn't bad anymore.

Also the minutes he is playing are probably a bit easier on his dusty old bones when he can let his partner take care of stuff sometimes and not have to do everything himself because he's beside god drat Trotman.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Is Brandan Carlo actually good?

He seemed like the obvious "cant teach size" bust when he was drafted.

Well, he's at least better than Zach Trotman and Adam McQuaid.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Semi regular reminder most of you thought the draft rules were bad for Vegas and then that McPhee blew it.

Also you liked Dustin Brown and LA.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It I coached the Rangers they'd have more than 2 regulation wins this year.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

grack posted:

There's no coach in the league that makes the Rangers better than they are.

That's why me, an outsider, can really fix things.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

grack posted:

Well, I was thinking more along the lines of Barry Melrose or Mike Keenan.

I don’t know if running an apartment complex where sexy drama unfolds really qualifies you to coach in the NHL.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

ThinkTank posted:

Brock Boeser is hurt. Why me oh mighty one? What did I do?

Gimme a few minutes, I have a list.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I mean, he's half right.

Just "Our goalies can't completely bail out our terrible play anymore" isn't really a good excuse.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

grack posted:

So... exactly what you expect from a team with a defensive core as lovely as the Rangers?

First in the Pacific.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

T-Bone posted:

Imagine if the Devils had taken Barzal/Connor and McAvoy LIKE I TOLD THEM TO

DeBrusk is pretty good though and they kinda made up for it with the McAvoy pick. Kind of -- I can forgive not taking one of Barzal/Connor but both?

McAvoy was the year after and was the expected pick for that spot, he has nothing to do with that 3 pick year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

If Sweeney had his normal one pick a round he’d seem like a great drafter. It’s his extras where he goes loving way off board for some reason.

• Locked thread