Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Horford is wanting to be checked in so bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Horford is me at a party when someone starts talking about Bitcoin.

BWV fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Feb 20, 2018

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Splitter retired as a sixer which is as it should be.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Tiago had the kind of face where if he stuffed up, you couldn't really stay mad at him.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Vivek is pretty symbolic of modern nothing mattersness.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

The quickest substitution in the history of the NBA

the_american_dream posted:

Horford is wanting to be checked in so bad

Horford is your dad driving the car while you're going into the finer details of Pokemon from the backseat.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/965973243361456129

Get ready for hm to raid the Lakers scouting department

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

Redgrendel2001 posted:

Vivek is pretty symbolic of modern nothing mattersness.

I still remember this sideline interview with him a couple years ago where he gave a very robotic appraisal of the team's performance.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

The Glumslinger posted:

My dad will be stoked that Ronnie Lester has a job again.

Also take one guess on where Mitch Kupchak went to college

MourningView fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Feb 20, 2018

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
The UNC thing can be irritating but it's one of the team's few advantages in luring established guys, so in this case I don't mind it. Buzz Peterson (Jordan's college roommate) has failed at basically everything and him getting a promotion is by far the worst part of this

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

morestuff posted:

The UNC thing can be irritating but it's one of the team's few advantages in luring established guys, so in this case I don't mind it. Buzz Peterson (Jordan's college roommate) has failed at basically everything and him getting a promotion is by far the worst part of this

Yeah Mitch is a totally fine hire it's just funny because of the history of the organization. The Peterson thing is a way worse example of how narrow minded Jordan is.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Cho did not seem very good but Kupchak?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Cho was fine, he did all the GM stuff relatively well except for drafting. (Which, coincidence or not, is apparently where Jordan gives the most input.) He built a fun 48-win team from scratch then got incredibly screwed by timing and the cap spike. Can't blame the Hornets from moving on but wherever he lands will be lucky to have him.

The OK draft record + the UNC Respect Your Elders thing is probably the most appealing part of hiring Kupchak.

morestuff fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Feb 20, 2018

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

I hope Sam Hinkie shits on Adam Silver's face.
https://twitter.com/jimadair3/status/965980933269618688

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

The Glumslinger posted:

The guy who gave monster contracts to Timothy Mozgov and Luol Deng a year and a half ago.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Niwrad posted:

The guy who gave monster contracts to Timothy Mozgov and Luol Deng a year and a half ago.

And pulled off pretty great trades for Pau, Dwight, and CP3

And drafted the entire Lakers core in 3 years

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Niwrad posted:

but those were good contracts????

Paul Zuvella fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Feb 20, 2018

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Paul Zuvella posted:

but those were good contracts????

They were market rate and market rate was awful that year

The B_36
Jul 10, 2012

Say what you will about Cuban (he's a good owner imo), but he's got a point. We've all mostly jumped on the Sixers bandwagon and deified Hinkie, but much like with how OKC built their Finals team a few years ago (ie lucky with draft picks), it's not a very repeatable process. I've always hated when fans look at their team and realize they won't reach the Finals this year so they think they should tank for draft picks. That's not to say you should sign a bunch of average vets every year just to field a respectable team, but if even 5 NBA teams did what the Sixers did, it would destroy the league pretty quickly.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The B_36 posted:

Say what you will about Cuban (he's a good owner imo), but he's got a point. We've all mostly jumped on the Sixers bandwagon and deified Hinkie, but much like with how OKC built their Finals team a few years ago (ie lucky with draft picks), it's not a very repeatable process. I've always hated when fans look at their team and realize they won't reach the Finals this year so they think they should tank for draft picks. That's not to say you should sign a bunch of average vets every year just to field a respectable team, but if even 5 NBA teams did what the Sixers did, it would destroy the league pretty quickly.

Sixers finished last once. The Lakers have a worse record over the last 4 years (iirc)

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

The B_36 posted:

Did you read the entire thing?

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

The B_36 posted:

Hot take, the kings over the last 13 years are way worse for the NBA than the 76ers have been or probably ever will be.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Paul Zuvella posted:

Hot take, the kings over the last 13 years are way worse for the NBA than the 76ers have been or probably ever will be.

What about pre-Blake Clippers?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

1) Hinkie was right about the best way to build a team, at least in terms of odds
2) Cuban is a loudmouth idiot that talks out his rear end
3) Packing it in once a team is out of playoff contention is what every team in every sport does and not remotely comparable to the 76ers rebuild

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It interesting in retrospect that the #1 tanking maneuver employed by the sixers was "play jahlil Okafor" which at the time was not considered a tanking maneuver nor would be today. Well it might be getting close today .

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
I feel like Clippers fans have it worse than Kings fans

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Won't someone think of the plight of the long suffering Bulls fans..

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Atlanta is tanking as bad as the sixers ever did but I guess no one remembers Atlanta had a basketball team.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

Dexo posted:

Won't someone think of the plight of the long suffering Wolves fans..

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

euphronius posted:

Atlanta is tanking as bad as the sixers ever did but I guess no one remembers Atlanta had a basketball team.

They were a playoff team last year

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Haha I completely forgot Phoenix .

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
I miss basketball

euphronius posted:

Haha I completely forgot Phoenix .

Free Booker.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

euphronius posted:

They were the 5th seed last year, the gently caress are you talking about

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I don't think Atlanta is going to be in the playoffs this year. I'll need to check the standing tho. They might have had a hot streak since I last checked.

Edit

Records indicate Atlanta is tied for worst record.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

There is a difference between tanking and your team just getting bad because everyone decided to sign elsewhere.

Paul Zuvella fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Feb 20, 2018

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
If Cubes actually told his players it'd be better off if they lose then that'd be worse than anything the Sixers/Suns/Bulls/Kings have done.

The B_36
Jul 10, 2012

Redgrendel2001 posted:

Did you read the entire thing?

Pretty sure I did, tho I don't really know how Twitter works so I may have missed something.

edit: Twitter is hosed up and confusing - was the important thing the small quote at the bottom right where he says he told his guys they should lose? After reading the longer quotes about how he doesn't like tanking, I figured that quote was the beginning of him saying "Our best bet is to lose......but I don't like purposely losing" or something like that but it got cutoff because, again, Twitter is hosed up and confusing. Either way, my points still stand, I'm just referring to his original (?) comments about tanking.

euphronius posted:

Sixers finished last once. The Lakers have a worse record over the last 4 years (iirc)

The Sixers still haven't done anything with The Process tho, and the Lakers have a couple dozen championships while famously never tanking. We're all assuming the Sixers will at some point be good, but there's a bunch of very plausible things that can happen that would derail them, just like it did to numerous other young teams who built their teams without a full blown multi year tank. Cleveland didn't tank, they just sucked hard after Lebron left and got mind-bogglingly lucky with lottery balls. Warriors didn't tank, and again got fortunate with draft picks working out. Houston never tanked, and always had a competitive team. Boston is like the Lakers, they never tank either. Those are the 4 teams that are likely to be in the conference finals this year. Toronto also never tanked and were routinely criticized for it, and if it isn't Boston v Cleveland in the ECF, then it'll be Toronto v Cleveland.

morestuff posted:

1) Hinkie was right about the best way to build a team, at least in terms of odds
It's hard to say that their method has a higher chance of succeeding when they haven't succeeded yet themselves. The Process looks alot worse the next time Embiid has to sit for a season due to injury (be honest, you know this is at least a strong possibility)

morestuff posted:

2) Cuban is a loudmouth idiot that talks out his rear end
Alot of the times, yeah.

morestuff posted:

3) Packing it in once a team is out of playoff contention is what every team in every sport does and not remotely comparable to the 76ers rebuild
No it's not, you're right, and I didn't say it was comparable, nor was it what Cuban was referring to. Sitting your vets and playing your young guys more once you're eliminated from the playoffs is a reasonable thing to do, and actually gives your fans something to look forward to for the last couple months of the season. The hesitation I have is that the Sixers did that from the beginning of a couple or 3 seasons.

The B_36 fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Feb 20, 2018

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Paul Zuvella posted:

The Kings are like the #13th most valuable franchise according to Forbes and $$$ is the only thing the league cares about

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

B36 I can't respond to a post with multiple nested quotes so I will concede you are correct.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

quote:

The Sixers still haven't done anything with The Process tho, and the Lakers have a couple dozen championships while famously never tanking.

:cawg:

The Lakers were blatantly tanking during Scott's last year.

• Locked thread