Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«4 »
  • Locked thread
Lockback
Sep 2, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

God damnit I told you to be nice to the boy. ACLs take a long time to recover from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 2, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Niwrad posted:

Yup, once they fall in love with a trade you can pull back and they'll just pile on more till you say yes. Remember how much they had to give up for Doug McDermott? Or giving up their own pick in the Jimmy Butler deal? Heck, they had to throw in a 2nd round pick to get Cameron Payne when they were giving up McDermott and Taj.

I'll still take the deal since it's probably the best 1st round pick they'd be able to get for Niko. But they still gave up a lot to get it per usual.

So I am not defending the Butler trade, but if you like Lauri you had to give up the first round pick. Stepian rule was in place for the Wolves because this year's pick could go to Atlanta and you can't give up 2 years of draft picks in a row. Minnesota has OKCs protected right now, but that doesn't get them out of the Stepian rule and they didn't make the deal for that pick until after the draft.

So the Bulls couldn't make that deal unless they gave MN a 2017 pick right there and then.

Lockback
Sep 2, 2006

R.D. Mangles posted:

yeah, i was going to include noah in that as well, although he's an injury casualty. seems to me, though, that there's a lot of big dudes you just can't keep on the floor because they can't guard anyone in small lineups and the rebounding/post-up edge in having a big guy doesn't really seem to matter, especially since those guys had limited offensive skills or are like asik and were born with permanent oven mitts instead of hands

A healthy Noah would absolutely still be valuable today, probably still an all-star. Noah guarded out to the perimeter plus was really really good helping on smaller guys driving. Even offensively put-backs are still really efficient and his passing would be more effective with more shooters on the floor.

Hibbert was just a weird case of a guy peaking for 18 months and then falling off a cliff, and Asik was probably never as good as we thought. At the end of the day you do need to have more skills than just be big and defend the rim, but it's not like that skill still isn't valuable.

Lockback
Sep 2, 2006

Monroe makes a lot of sense for a cheap rental this season for New Orleans. Still stay in the playoff hunt and Monroe gets lots of minutes for his next contract hunt. Seems like a perfect situation for both unless Monroe really wants to play off the bench of a contender.

Mirotic is kinda funny because New Orleans refuses to get wing players. "I don't know why we aren't contending, can you try getting more bigs and point guards?"

Dexo posted:

Also John Wall kinda still exists in this NBA.

DeRozan is an all-star starter and got MVP votes last year, and that seems like a pretty comparable trajectory as well as far as having those skills age into your later 20s.

Rose once said "I don't want to wreck my body by the time I'm 40" like a human being would when dealing with injuries and Chicago Sports Journalism is Chicago Sports Journalism so that gets reported that Rose doesn't have a winners mindset or whatever. The dude basically lived in the gym. Or is this still the Reggie Rose thing from his first injury where people were pissed he took 12 months to rehab an ACL like literally every basketball player who has an ACL tear?

Lockback fucked around with this message at Feb 2, 2018 around 12:30

Lockback
Sep 2, 2006

Paul Zuvella posted:

Why are the 76ers commenting about him so much?

They keep getting asked questions during required media interviews.

Lockback
Sep 2, 2006

What is Steve salty about? The little hop-step before the shot?

Lockback
Sep 2, 2006

IcePhoenix posted:

He shot 33.2% and 31.2% in those years, respectively.

I suppose "he was getting better" is accurate though since the years before that were 26.7 and 22.2

During that time 35% was generally considered the line for "good shooter" so 31-33 would be considered respectable. And the difference between a 33% and a 36% shooter for a guy shooting 5 times a game is the difference of only 1 made 3 every 7 games, so it's not like the line between "good" and "bad" is really fine or anything.

Lockback
Sep 2, 2006

IcePhoenix posted:

I'm not sure I agree with this. For me the line for being considered a good 3 point shooter is entirely mathematical and not graded on a curve. Just because nearly the entire league wasn't good at three point shooting doesn't suddenly make a bad shooter respectable. Does your three point shooting help your team? I don't think his did, so I don't think he was respectable.

He was like the only reliable offensive player on a 60+ win team so I am fairly confident nearly everything he did on offense was helping. The team went from the 5th best offense in the league to the 23rd when he got hurt, and 28th the year after that. And don't you dare disparage NateRob.

This "Derrick Rose Was Actually Never Good" narrative is truly the dumbest thing. From an advanced stats perspective his impact on the team was huge, and trying to frame his 3pt shooting in today's context to say he wasn't helping his team is really stretching the data to try to fit a narrative.

Lockback
Sep 2, 2006

RCarr posted:

The pick-up basketball thread is dead so I figure I'll tell you guys that I rolled my ankle last night playing ball . I've lost 20 pounds this month by eating right and running/playing basketball a ton, and now I'm worried that I will get fat again because I won't be able to run for 2 weeks or so.

Cut back on consumption. A big problem people have is they get used to eating to fuel a 4,000 calorie a day activity level and get fat when they keep eating that and only burning 1500. Calorie count like a suburban housewife my friend.

Also rolled ankle means you can still do weights. Strengthening my back made a huge difference in playing ball for me, especially as I got older.

That's body shaping advice for this week from Lockback.

Lockback
Sep 2, 2006

quote:

Red Panda’s act entails sitting on a unicycle while resting a stack of bowls on her right foot. She then flips the bowls with her foot onto her head.

Lebron James is a man who can pass a basketball at other players and sometimes throw a basketball at a hoop. The basketball then frequently goes in the hoop.

Lockback
Sep 2, 2006

EvanTH posted:

haha dude that quote is from like 3 miles deep into the "we don't expect anyone to read this article past the headline but it should be a minimum length to look like a real article la la la la la" section of the page, how'd you even make it that far?

Honestly I was hoping for some technical specs on the unicycle, that is totally my poo poo. I saw that line and I was floored. If you gave me 24 hours to write 2 sentences that boiled what Red Panda does into the most boring sounding thing possible I don't think I could surpass it.

Lockback
Sep 2, 2006

Cool Buff Man posted:

Yeah that makes sense. Is the New Orleans floor slippery or are their trainers bad or is it just the worst luck in the world? This is a question to rival the tootsie pop

They built the stadium over a graveyard in voodoo country. I dunno what else was expected.

Lockback
Sep 2, 2006

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Terry Rozier has really responded to starting for Kyrie the last couple games. Triple double in the first and 31 points in the second on 11/18 and 6/8 from deep.

Danny Ainge is always right.

Lockback
Sep 2, 2006

Jimmy Butler is basically the protagonist of any movie you watched when your teacher decided to give up for the year. He's hard as in he is a survivor.

Joakim Noah had to go through life looking like Joakim Noah. I imagine that makes anyone tough as hell.

Lockback
Sep 2, 2006

Miami had been figuring out how to win close games and Dragic has been pretty important to that. Kemba is a better choice, but I get the idea of rewarding Dragic for the team success.

Lockback
Sep 2, 2006

Gorelab posted:

See, I kinda feel like it should be an individual thing. But I'm also biased as a Hornets fan, but I think Simmons or Middleton would also have been better choices than Dragic.

I mean, it is individual but do you measure only stats or do you consider outcomes? Dragic is clearly producing, Miami's record proves that. But Philly is a .500 team, it's really hard to argue they are loaded with all-stars and decent role-players.

Simmons is something special, for sure, and he'll be a top end player most likely. But he isn't really at an all-star level yet I'm terms of actually winning games. Embiid is. Middleton I think I'd also a stretch in terms of stats and outcomes, I think.

Lockback
Sep 2, 2006

Tae posted:

A team with two all-stars should probably be better than .500 then, hot take

And Covington and JJ, two guys who are good starters. And the sixers are in the East.

Redgrendel2001 posted:

Lol. Embiid and Simmons are better than anyone on Miami's roster and you know it.

Then maybe the team should win more games.

Lockback
Sep 2, 2006

dokmo posted:

Mudiay is also much improved this season, he's shooting better than Jimmy Butler and Danny Green, for example.

From 3pt only. Mudiay's .500 TS% is still bad.

Lockback
Sep 2, 2006

scuz posted:

Butler, Brooks, who's the dude on the right?

Mark Wahlberg is doing research for his new movie.

Lockback
Sep 2, 2006

Mr. Mambold posted:

Their problems started when they shopped Kyrie around and it and LeBron's attitude got back to him. Not that losing those guys would really be the same.

Cleveland has a Brooklyn 1st, is that right? That's more in the neighborhood.

Cleveland seems to be going at a slow roll to part with that pick.

If they think they can do something that will even moderately increase their chance at a title this year, they should give up the pick.

If they think they are probably screwed this year and losing Lebron, keep the pick.

At this point, it's up to Cleveland.

Lockback
Sep 2, 2006

Dejan Bimble posted:

I don't like Stan but he is not that stupid. Danny Green cannot shoot anymore and Patty Mills is a less good Ish Smith. They'd have to trade kawhi + something for andre drummond and reggie jackson and johnson for it to come out. Never going to happen.

The next CBA has an amnesty is a guarantee. They gave themselves an amnesty before and they'll do it again.

The Pistons will need it for the last 2 years of blake griffin and will be paying out 70m over 7 years

Next CBA opt-out is after the 2022-23 season, that means the entirety of Blake's contract is Guaranteed with a big G.

Or you could stretch it, but that would mean multiple years with 10+ million in dead money.

Lockback
Sep 2, 2006

Henchman of Santa posted:

Do the Heat suck now?

Yeah, my use of team success for saying Dragic was not a bad all-star pick (though note I said it should be Kemba) is not aging very well.

Lockback
Sep 2, 2006

Fast Luck posted:

if Spo is such a good coach how come he can't stop himself from playing Justise Winslow? I think they went like 11-2 when he was hurt, if that's right they're 11-2 without him and 18-23 when he plays. Which could just be whatever except that they only became good last season when he went out too...

They stop playing Winslow: They are a team thats ceiling is the 2nd round and no real path to getting better.

They play Winslow: They lose a few more games but develop their 21-year old and hope he becomes either a difference maker to help them get up amongst the top of the East or a valuable chip to try to swing a trade.

Spo is trying to keep his team winning and also not getting on the Atlanta Hawks treadmill that many people on this board say is worse than tanking.

Lockback
Sep 2, 2006

xbilkis posted:

Weird standings quirk: The 18-35 Bulls have a winning record against the East. They have a better in-conference record than the Pistons, 76ers and Bucks!

(That means they are also 2-20 against the West)

Minnesota has the best record against the West at 25-9, better than the Warriors 22-9. However, they are 9-13 against the East. Playing down to the competition.

Lockback
Sep 2, 2006

The satisfaction of putting Ricky on a team where he doesn't have to carry a scoring load.

I'd love to reunite Ricky and Love, and Ricky could defend the 2 if you wanted to play him next to IT. He'd have trouble against Klay, but most players do.

Compared to JR, Ricky's shooting wouldn't even hurt you.

Lockback
Sep 2, 2006

Dejan Bimble posted:

That's a fun fake trade. Rubio is sad in Utah.

I dunno that he's sad, he has a weird reputation for wanting to bolt despite desperately wanting to stay with his teams and setting down roots. I think he might even like having more of a green light to shoot, but he's only like 80% as fun to watch and he's still stuck on "the best lottery team in the West" which is a pretty lovely place to be.

Utah would probably get pretty bad without him though.

Dejan Bimble posted:

Let's get this done. How do we get this done?

It's Utah, so can we get a picture of him with a black girlfriend and let nature take its course?

Lockback
Sep 2, 2006

MazelTovCocktail posted:

So I haven’t really paid any attention to the sixers...well since 2000 and that was mostly a one year thing. How are they now in terms of fun to watch? I mean I get the whole trust process thing and that the last few years have been The Browns of the NBA, thought intentionally in this case.

I happened to catch the Christmas game because my BiL was watching it and well it was actually pretty fun to watch. Also Joel Embiid seems like a really cool dude.

I have to admit I kind of want to take my wife and daughter to one of the games since tickets on game day are pretty cheap (which as is also the case for the Flyers, something I wasn’t aware of) and you can get club seats that each have $25 preloaded on them.

Sixers are a lot of fun, as long as you are aware their key pieces are still young and young players usually don't go far in the playoffs. They will be a beast of a team in a few years though. Expect a team that can hang with just about everyone but also sometimes lose very winnable games and you'll really enjoy them.

Aesthetically, they have pretty decent defense (with Embiid on the floor) and Simmons is a REALLY fun player, and they have a handful of reliable guys that are good to have when you are ready to pull your hair out. They are on my short list to watch most nights.

Lockback
Sep 2, 2006

The Glumslinger posted:

I just want to a take a second to specifically mock the following trade from the ESPN trade deadline article

Yes, Miami should totally trade away their 2 best players for Kevin Love, this is a great idea

Kevin Love and a healthy IT (which is a risk) is better than either Dragic or Whiteside, and the first round pick more than makes up for the other salary. You think this is a bad deal for the Heat?

Lockback
Sep 2, 2006

Noctone posted:

Wait so it’s tampering just to pretty much say “this guy is extremely good”? I mean gently caress Magic and all but...........

He's been specifically warned and fined before for saying he wanted to sign a guy who was already under contract and then the team contacted his agent. Magic is under higher scrutiny than any other GM because he can't shut up.

Lockback
Sep 2, 2006

Henchman of Santa posted:

Getting drafted by LeBron was a curse apparently

Durant is next.

Lockback
Sep 2, 2006

Frustrated posted:

uh... what?

Noctone posted:

you could not have picked a worse example, that dude is like the Platonic ideal of a sports fan

Yeah, in the Kobe years we thought that guy was just a front runner, wants to be on TV more than watch the game type fan, but then he just ramped up even more for Julius Randle and D"Angelo, so actually he was just a really passionate. "YOU CAN'T HANDLE RANDLE" owned.

You're Welcome for not doxxing you Rick

Lockback
Sep 2, 2006

Carlosologist posted:

lol what the gently caress is that, there's literally no contact

will be interesting to see if the reffing actually improves after the all-star break

Reffing in the NBA is hard and its getting easier to grab clips like that. Reffing is WAYY better now than it was like 10 years ago.

Lockback
Sep 2, 2006

WhyteRyce posted:

So the Clips have to be thinking Lou with time under contract will fetch more than Lou playing at a near all star level in a contract year right?

My guess is they already got a collective "Nope" out of the trade deadline market and would rather keep him around to trade later then have him walk out the door. It all depends on the details of the extension, I guess.

It might just be they like him and it's not like Lou Williams is going to really hurt your tank all that much.

Lockback
Sep 2, 2006

Spacebump posted:

They should have at least tried to get Nerlens Noel and a 2nd round pick. That guy is taking forever to comeback from his thumb surgery.

That name sounds either foriegn or maybe familiar with some foreign languages. Best not risk it.

Lockback
Sep 2, 2006

Without any tax returns its hard to tell. The absurdly rich still pay absurd amounts of tax overall, but the % vs gained net worth is probably way lower than most players due how wealth is taxed + the additional athlete taxes that exist.

Lockback
Sep 2, 2006

Thibs would never have put up with this poo poo

-Asik

Lockback
Sep 2, 2006

b..ball?

Lockback
Sep 2, 2006

^^I was too slow on the draw. My biggest regret was never dunking on a regulation hoop with a regulation sized ball.

RASHIBA WALLACE posted:

I thought the Clippers aren't allowed to flip Avery Bradley after acquiring him so recently. Is that not the case?

You can trade that player straight up, but you need to wait 60 days to package them with other players.

Lockback
Sep 2, 2006

RASHIBA WALLACE posted:

Thank you to my internet friends, The Glumslinger and Lockback. What is the rationale behind that rule? If you are trading a player straight up you have his interest in mind versus him being some salary cog in a many-piece trade?

And more importantly: who can answer that question the quickest? GO!

You can package and repackage players back and forth to get around the matching salary rules.

edit:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 2, 2006

The Kings are going to be overpaying some dudes in FA again and completely reset their rebuild. Oh my god, just sell the team.

• Locked thread
«4 »