Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

WhyteRyce posted:

If we waive Papa John is there any reason to waive Bruno other than him being terrible?

Roster spot to kick the tires on a buyout?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Niwrad posted:

Rose to the Wolves would be kind of interesting but he's so bad now I don't know why Minnesota would be interested.

Bench is real bad too and someone who can create a little bit might be worth it. It's a risk for sure.

If it's New York Knicks Rose he'd help the Timberwolves, probably playing alongside Tyus or Crawford. If it's the Cav's Rose he'd hurt any lineup he's in.

WhyteRyce posted:

I usually applaud teams and GMs for not having that sunk cost fallacy ruin their decision making. George Hill didn't work out and probably would have become a big issue if he was still on the team come next season. Papa John was garbage and clearly not developing the way they were hoping. Malachi is a chucker who is stuck behind two better SGs. So kudos to Vlade for recognizing his mistakes and quickly moving on.

But...yesssh that's a whole lot of bad decision making to start with and that wasn't even in your top 3 of bad decisions

I don't have a problem with any of the individual moves, but it looks like the strategy is trying to clear salary for the FA market this year and that seems like a great way to continue to be a 28 win team forever. They really need a 3 year plan and stick to it.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Paul Zuvella posted:

George Hill, Rodney Hood, Larry Nance Jr, Jordan Clarkson, and the Nets Pick

And got out of the Shumpert contract, don't underestimate that. Though they did lose Frye and their own pick.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

That DJ trade is less crazy than the Hill/Hood trade though.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Away all Goats posted:

https://twitter.com/elfrid/status/961105074436046848

edit: man, looking at his stats they're not even that bad? what is orlando doing

He's an RFA next year and Orlando doesn't need his bird rights. They would have ended up paying market price for him, and they can just use that cap space on another PG if they want.

An RFA who isn't a rookie max isn't very valuable if you have a bunch of cap space anyway.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

big boi posted:

I bought Kevin Love stock when he was first traded to the Cavs, because he is like me except with hair and can actually do the things I tried to do on a basketball court. I'm not selling

*Grizzled vet voice*
Where were you when Gendo was raining down doughnut photoshops and no one knew the value of a big shooting 3s

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

dokmo posted:

Elfrid Payton is awful, Joe Johnson is awful, I still believe in Bruno and papagiannis, cant believe the cavs gave up that pick, hope yall had a good deadline, I tried my best but I couldn't swing a crazy 7-team trade for the amusement of the internet.

Cavs just gave up their own pick, right? They still have the Nets one.

R.D. Mangles posted:

how is it that guy who was once really good and a genuine humanitarian does nothing but get poo poo on by basketball executives

Probably blame him for what happened to Danny Ferry.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Love plus Nets pick is worth way more than DJ, even with Love's broken hand.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Kibner posted:

Be careful with that stat line because it is using a "per 40 minutes" rate.

He's also only hitting 32% of his 3s from a shorter line. Obviously that's not the end of the world, but his game will need some work.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

dokmo posted:

I know this isn't on people's radar anymore, but if anyone is still wondering if Mirotic said something unforgivable to Portis before getting clocked, the answer is no.

The dynamics of that team are really weird, in the way everyone circled around Portis. It was probably the weirdest thing in a season with a lot of really weird things.

zoux posted:

I know it's funny but does anyone else feel kind of bad for IT? I mean going from MVP candidate to people debating if you're washed in less than a year? He seems like a nice enough guy.

If he is washed, that sucks and I do feel bad. I think its a bit early to declare that given his injury but the risk was always there. It sucks that he fought really hard to get to the level he was at, got to be there for 15 minutes and then came tumbling down.

I don't feel bad that he seems to piss off every locker room he's ever been a part of and can't seem to keep his pissyness to himself. If he didn't open his mouth I don't know if he would have been traded from the Cavs.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Boston might lose in the ECF, but at least they'll know they have contracts that are all at or below market rate. And that is what is important.

Actually I think it's a big toss up on who comes out of the East right now but Cleveland probably helped themselves with this trade.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I like Chris Webber to tell stories or make funny observations when things are slow, but you should not expect to get good in-game breakdown from him. He should be a 3rd guy. And Marv is getting old and is also a sexual assaulter from back when that wasn't a big deal.

Redgrendel2001 posted:

There was a lot of suspicion that he was healthy enough to play by...Februaryish I think??? but they decided to keep him out.

I thought he had another surgery or he gave a statement that sounded like the rehab had a setback. I just remember everyone had the conspiracy theories going and then it was like "Yeah, actually I am just not healed yet".

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

euphronius posted:

It wasn't consensual?

Noooope, but he plead down to misdeamenor assault and battery and was given probation.

At the time I do remember radio personalities faking a play-by-play of the assault in Marv Alberts voice and that was funny (but also horrible).

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Get another ring Belly

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

WhyteRyce posted:

I feel vindicated that I was right about Marco and Lockback is wrong

Marco didn't fail you, you failed Marco.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

R.D. Mangles posted:

lost in all the trade insanity, everyone's forgetting that Jimmy's playing his first game in Chicago tonight, he's going to go for 50.

Why is the start time 8:30 for a game between two CST teams? Don't they know some of us are old and go to bed at 10pm?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Quizzlefish posted:

I think rookies get a bit discriminated against at all star. But usually the excuse is that their team sucks. In this case.....?

Are you saying the 8th seed in the East is a good team?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

euphronius posted:

Miami was hot when the coaches voted . I think that's all it is.

For Dragic, yeah. Kemba is having a better season than Simmons by PER, WS, RPM. And Simmons will get plenty of nods.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

IMB posted:

After 3 years they were in the playoffs and after 5 they were in the finals.

The Sixers have done an extended Thunder tank, and got Noel (trash,) Okafor (trash) Embiid (beast, missed two years,) Simmons (beast, missed a year and can't shoot) and Fultz (dead idiot.)

After five years they're a .500 team in the east.

I'm helping drive the "Eastern Team without a home court playoff series shouldn't have 2 all-stars" bus, but in the NBA you would not expect a team at the age of the 76ers to be much better than where they are. NBA is not NFL, guys don't come into the league and immediately be difference makers. Most "good" rookies may be putting up stats but usually are missing a bunch of stuff on both sides of the ball that actually get you W's (there are exceptions, but its pretty rare and usually low usage athletic wings).

Embiid is starting to climb that hill and that's why the 76ers are a positive point differential team. For all the amazing stuff Simmons does (and he does do amazing things) if you watch the games you'll see him take many possessions to puzzle out defenses and get turned around on defense enough to see why they probably aren't going to make it out of the first round (though they'll have a punchers chance.)

Comparing them to the 2010 Thunder team that got beat in 6 to the Lakers in the first round is probably pretty fair. Remember that team was one year removed from Durant and Westbrook "leading" the team to a 23 win stinker of a season.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

By most metrics Davis is a really good defender now. Obviously not in the "Can Make a Defense Good By Myself", but he's been working with the worst wing defense in the league.

By eye test EvanTH is right, when he is on he is a terror.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Bobby uses right hand against a Euro.

It's super effective!

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

tatankatonk posted:

I haven't been watching the Lakers this year. Is Julius Randle still bad on defense? Is Kyle Kuzma good?

Randle is ok on D, more neutral than good or bad. Lakers go so fast its sometimes hard to tell what is good/bad defense and what is just sloppiness from the pace.

Kuzma is good, not really on D though. He's sorta hit a rookie wall, and he's already 22 so temper expectations but I think he's going to be a good modern 4 that will let you open up your offense. He definitely benefits from the Laker's pace.

dokmo posted:

Tell me who should get MIP award over Clint capela.

Oladipo?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

euphronius posted:

When love comes back will they do

Hill - jr - lebron - love - TT?

Paul Zuvella posted:

I would imagine Hood starts eventually, tbh.

I dunno, Hood is pretty versatile as a "first wing off the bench", but he's a better defender than JR so he'd probably be more valuable starting. Might depend on the matchups.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

leftist heap posted:

the big mystery with fultz now is why he's allowed to practice anywhere remotely near where the media might be and why he hasn't been shipped off to an air gapped bunker gym somewhere in the middle of the desert already.

Isolating and ostracizing a kid who may have anxiety issues sounds like an A+ plan.

Larry Nance and Jordan Clarkson might have opinions about the organizations loyalty to their players.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

JODIE MEEKS WHAT ARE YOU DOING JUST KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

EvanTH posted:

Can someone find me the Nets point differential by quarter?

Here's the whole list by quarter per game

https://www.teamrankings.com/nba/stat/average-4th-quarter-margin

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

leftist heap posted:

As opposed to him being ostracized by everyone else? The media around Fultz is basically in overdrive right now. Is that really better for the dude than getting out of the spotlight for a bit?

That would mean not traveling with the team at all. I don't think that's a very good idea, and its not like it would stop the columns and news items at all.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Bashez posted:

If anyone is confused about this by the way you're allowed to guard the guy with the ball from any position now so you can't get called for three seconds.

I don't really know how they handle the impending pick and roll there. He knows a guy is about to come into the lane so he stays there to pick him up, seems reasonable not to call it in my opinion.

Panzeh posted:

Yeah, to put it in perspective, the big man may reach out to someone to show he's guarding them but that doesn't actually matter all that much- his man was the guy with the ball and he was sagging way off.

Refs are told fairly specifically to ignore the big man reaching out to touch someone to try to avoid the 3 second call.

He was standing in the lane for over 3 seconds when the guard had the ball too. And he didn't leave the lane when his man was guarded. It was a missed call.

quote:

e. If the defender is guarding the player with the ball, he may be located in the 16-foot lane. This defender is not required to be in an actively guarding/arm’s distance position. If another defender actively guards the player with the ball, the original defender must actively guard an opponent or exit the 16-foot lane. Once the offensive player passes the ball, the defender must actively guard an opponent or exit the 16-foot lane.

http://www.nba.com/rockets/news/Basketball_101_Defensive_Thre-160312-822.html

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Bashez posted:

That's the part I don't really know how it's supposed to be called. The ballhandler starts to make his move right at the 3 second mark. Do you expect Jah to just go running away from the play at that point? I don't think that's really the purpose of the rule. It seems weird to me that you'd force a player to leave the lane on a drive.

I count more than 3 from when he stops defending his man before the drive starts (which would be imminently defending), but I guess its probably closer than it feels when watching and not counting. Defensive 3 seconds is a bit like holding in the NFL, its not called on every infraction because the refs need to be watching the action. I also think its frequently not very impactful because Jah could have just stepped out and it wouldn't have affected the D at all.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Paul Zuvella posted:

How the gently caress can someone be so wrong about something

I'd like to see them abolish offensive 3 seconds, but only in rec-league games that I play in.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

It's not called in pickup, but if you play rec league with refs in my experience they freaking love calling it. Won't call getting your arm hammered in the post or some group of guys trying to run the full-court press by constantly reaching in, but god forbid you are already moving outside of the paint when their internal clocks hit 3.0000001 seconds.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

schweens posted:

https://twitter.com/NBA_Math/status/963459000225316864?ref_src=twcamp%5Eshare%7Ctwsrc%5Em5%7Ctwgr%5Eemail%7Ctwcon%5E7046%7Ctwterm%5E1
Harden and Drummond are offensive/defensive gods. LeBron and Russ are great of course. Personally I'm a fan of the Lou Will curve of scorers on the bottom right

KAT is good at defense now.

IcePhoenix posted:

Several thoughts:
I don't know who that Wolves player in the middle is

Aaron Brooks made it on the list somehow. I assume he's up front due to alphabetical prioritization.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Kibner posted:

TPA is so drat flawed, especially on defense. Look at Cousins rating as one of the five best defenders in the NBA and far better at it than AD. lmao

leftist heap posted:

I don't really know what to think of it TBH. It's very eye-test-y, but their explanation of it leaves a lot to be desired.

TPA is pretty crappy. It's basically Box Plus/Minus, which leaves a lot to be desired. As a defensive stat I think its ok, not perfect but not a bad data point. As an offensive stat I think there are a bunch of much better ones. Using both of them as a complete stat is usually pretty bad.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

mdemone posted:

Hey, just throwing something out there about those silly "win percentages" you see on ESPN as the game proceeds. Noticed that OKC at home against Cleveland has a 70% chance to win, when the game is tied five minutes into the 1st quarter -- now I know those things are purely based on historical data for games having a particular score at a particular time, so that really just means that the home team wins roughly 70% of NBA games.

Is that true? I would have gone 60-40, maybe 65% at the outside. 70% hometeam seems a little high to me.

It's 60% in the NBA, I have no idea where the ESPN thing comes from, but maybe it's a classification on games tied at that point, or maybe a comparison on the season of Cleveland and OKC.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

EvanTH posted:

isn't Home Court Advantage mostly referees being influenced by crowd reactions? with very few exceptions players don't appear to change that much playing home or away

Lots of players have better stats at home vs away. Except Ryan Anderson, he hates his home floor.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

WhyteRyce posted:

My proposal years ago was that points are now calculated based off the distance the shooter is from the hoop

Free throw line dunkers are now the new market inefficiency

Dunks are the least efficient shot. A shameful proposal.

xbilkis posted:

How big an impact on shot selection would scoring baskets by 3s and 4s have

Just keep ratcheting up those numbers until you find the ideal balance between the values of shots inside and outside the arc. It's simple math folks

This is actually the simplest idea if you want to get away from the Rocket shot chart.

Although right now the #3 and #4 team in the west hardly shoot 3s at all and the Timberwolves are the 3rd best offense in the league. They put up 108 against Houston. Offense and shot selection is not their problem.

Spurs and Wolves are both showing that you can be a good team with a good offense and not be based around 3s. Even with Kawhi the Spurs are primarily a midrange team (in 2018 terms.)

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Panzeh posted:

You get way more dunks when people aren't clogging the lane by popping out/spotting up for mid range shots. I'd rather have more 3s/dunks than mid range jumpers.

I'm trying to find total # of dunks per game per year to see if dunking correlates with 3pt attempts

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Brolander posted:

after that january/early feb it's like a blast of fresh air

More importantly, unless there are some massive moves (which is possible) I don't know what team that can offer Lebron a max would be better than the current Cavaliers squad, especially given they can make one more move with the Nets pick if they want. I don't think Lebron moves to go be a 2nd round team in the West.

Philly I guess, but that just feels weird.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

dokmo posted:

It looks like the Rockets assembled a roster that exists solely to embarrass of Karl Anthony Towns's defense.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3vnz9IG6NQ

You can make a mixtape of the Harden/Capella P&R against almost every team in the league. A lot of those examples were a "damned if you switch, damned if you stick to the roll man, damned if you Ice" situations. A bunch of other clips were Towns with his hand up on the guard and the shot went in. The shot at 1:35 was a pretty clean block and a bad foul call.

Capella ended up slightly below his season average in points at slightly above FG% in this game. Harden ended up right at season averages (though he scored a lot of points gunning at the end of the 4th after Towns sat. I'd bet his per-possession-scoring was below averages while Towns was out there).

These "Let me cherry pick a few possessions in a game with 200 of them" videos can tell any story you want. If you did a video of the 35/12 Towns put up in that same game Capella would look like a lovely defender too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

dokmo posted:

Have you not watched any of my videos before? I don't exactly do fair and balanced.

Cool Buff Man posted:

Yeah but this one is about the TWolves!!!!!!

When they came with clips of Harden's lovely perimeter defense, I said nothing because I am not a fan of offensive players who create contact to get foul calls.

If you want a really damning video pull apart all of Wiggins missed shots from last night. He played worse than even his bad box score showed.

• Locked thread