Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
Portland's upcoming UFA and RFAs

Ed Davis (UFA)
Jusuf Nurkic
Noah Vonleh
Shabazz Napier
Pat Connaughton

Guys they'd love to unload

Meyers Leonard ($22m, two years remaining)
Moe Harkless ($21m, two years remaining)

Absolute Albatrosses
Evan Turner ($36m, two years remaining)

you're Neil Olshey, what do you do at the trade deadline?

Personally I sell high on Napier, since he's basically already regressing a bit. Desperately try to unload Meyers or Moe, but who knows what that would take or who would be interested.

I keep Ed Davis because he's maybe their best bench player and they can probably re-sign him for a decent price. Similarly Connaughton could be a reasonably priced role player.

I have no idea what to do with Vonleh. He has looked like a good glue guy at times, but Stotts doesn't play him and they just drafted Collins and Swanigan.

I dunno what they're gonna do with Nurkic. He looks basically identical to the guy who left Denver. I kinda hate his game. Wants to be a skilled big with none of the skills. Basically looks like a worse Ed Davis right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

gently caress what i wouldn't give to see that.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
I didn't see it posted but the Knicks and Noah have "agreed on indefinite leave" for Noah.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/PDcavsinsider/status/960013179291099136

lol

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

El Gallinero Gros posted:

The Clips just made a trade to cut money and they're hypothetically willingly taking back a bit more (35MM) than the amount they saved (34.6MM) for a fading defensive big and a shoot first PG who is putting up slightly worse numbers than the one they're giving up.

The Blazers in particular get smoked on this trade. They give up one super promising big man who probably hasn't peaked yet (Nurkic) a pretty good bench big who can start and not hurt you (Davis), another solid bench player (Aminu) and Noah Vonleh, who is a decent shooter at least, and get back an elite defensive big who probably won't get any better and is worse than the best player they're giving up (Nurkic) overall, and they also get a contract they'd immediately buy out, probably (Rose).

The Cavs get a guy who isn't as good as he used to be (Batum) at almost every facet, a center whose best feature is rebounding (Zeller) even though they're giving up someone who specializes in rebounding (Howard) and D, and a shoot first PG who will probably not struggle but probably won't work as well in Cleveland as he does elsewhere (Lou).

The Hornets are really the only team who benefit long term and that assumes they can re-sign some of the better players in the deal, like Nurkic, Thomas and Davis.

My friend you may be vastly overrating Jusuf Nurkic.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
the vibe in here right now is worse than niko and portis playing go fish.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Dejan Bimble posted:

You should check out Crowds and Power by Elias Canetti

gonna need a lot more people to recommend this before i read it. preferably chanting in unison.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
The tampering thing is the dumbest poo poo.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

13 games played with the Cavs.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
If KLove gets healthy and IT starts to look good I'm not sure I'd bet against Cleveland going to the finals. LeBron is still the best player on the court in any matchup and it's not even close.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
i need some other teams to get in on this poo poo

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
i don't really get what that trade does for Portland unless there is more involved. Vonleh is an upcoming RFA on a rookie contract.

i still half believe in Vonleh too. i think he can be an OK bench guy. maybe like, Ed Davis type ceiling.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Dejan Bimble posted:

Did Portland give up on Vonleh? Or is that guy whose rights they traded for good?

The guy the traded for will probably never see the NBA. I'm pretty surprised this works at all in the NBA, cause they effectively traded a guy for nothing.

Ghetto SuperCzar posted:

They gave up on Vonleh just to dodge the luxury tax because they spent big money on:
Evan Turner (terrible)
Meyers Leonard (doesn't play at all)
Maurice Harkless (doesn't play often)
Allen Crabbe(got traded for a contract we stretched that will cost $4m a year until like 2024)

This move puts off paying luxury tax for a year, which they'll have to pay next year if they want to continue being mediocre by re-signing Nurkic/Napier/Ed Davis/Pat Connaughton

hurray

Neil Olshey is doing an acceptable job cleaning up all the poo poo he left in the bed I guess. I think he should be fired.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

R.D. Mangles posted:

Vonleh sure seems to be a bum

Probably. I mean, they literally gave up nothing to get him. I think it's worth a half-season test drive for a tanking team personally.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Ghetto SuperCzar posted:

LETS GET HINKIE

Olshey turned 3 first round picks into Zach Collins and Caleb Swanigan. Two guys that look an awful lot like they could be sharing the fate of guys like Meyers Leonard or Noah Vonleh in 2-3 years: riding the bench, struggling to get minutes, or traded away with dumbass Blazers fans saying poo poo like "I still think he has potential :v:"

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
do they got wineries in Indiana

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
i'm a canadian so i don't know much about America

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

WhyteRyce posted:

I usually applaud teams and GMs for not having that sunk cost fallacy ruin their decision making. George Hill didn't work out and probably would have become a big issue if he was still on the team come next season. Papa John was garbage and clearly not developing the way they were hoping. Malachi is a chucker who is stuck behind two better SGs. So kudos to Vlade for recognizing his mistakes and quickly moving on.

But...yesssh that's a whole lot of bad decision making to start with and that wasn't even in your top 3 of bad decisions

The eternal question of how much credit you should give GMs for cleaning up after their own mistakes.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Ghetto SuperCzar posted:

It's hard getting excited about Swanigan or Collins when so many other players from the draft are performing better. They're like 47th and 52nd in PER for rookies, and even worse on winshares. Not going to talk poo poo on them until a year or two down the road but I do not dare get my hopes up for them.

It's obviously hard to judge Biggie and Collins, but I can't shake the feeling that they are more guys who are perpetually on the cusp of putting it all together. They just have that look to me. And it's Portland's fate to collect guys like that.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

dokmo posted:

I know this isn't on people's radar anymore, but if anyone is still wondering if Mirotic said something unforgivable to Portis before getting clocked, the answer is no.

i assumed if he'd said something truly vile it would have been leaked.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

EvanTH posted:

"practice makes perfect but practice makes permanent" was the warning piano teachers would give to emphasize that practicing incorrectly can be hugely detrimental. It's true enough. And "SHOOT GAME SHOTS!" is a very common coach's warning. But then again I've been waiting years to see this move make its appearance in a real game:

lol, piano practice is exactly what my mind went to. Thing is your piano teacher can't be around 24/7 to tell you to stop loving around screwing up the same measures over and over again in the exact same way, and break it down to practice reasonably.

I assume coaching in the NBA works a lot like paying $30 an hour for piano lessons once a week.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
the big mystery with fultz now is why he's allowed to practice anywhere remotely near where the media might be and why he hasn't been shipped off to an air gapped bunker gym somewhere in the middle of the desert already.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Lockback posted:

Isolating and ostracizing a kid who may have anxiety issues sounds like an A+ plan.

As opposed to him being ostracized by everyone else? The media around Fultz is basically in overdrive right now. Is that really better for the dude than getting out of the spotlight for a bit?

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Hell yeah.

I'm also a fan of the Carmelo boulevard of broken dreams in the bottom left

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Kibner posted:

TPA is so drat flawed, especially on defense. Look at Cousins rating as one of the five best defenders in the NBA and far better at it than AD. lmao

I don't really know what to think of it TBH. It's very eye-test-y, but their explanation of it leaves a lot to be desired.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
Maybe Manu will steal Harden’s life force yet again

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
please change the thread title to "Your wife tastes like donuts"

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
dray's goatee looks awful

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
Rondo was Right

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
Starting Cam Payne at PG would be a great way to tank

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

A Good Big

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Cool Buff Man posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1N9pc1Z7NMg

I'd like to eliminate the word Grind

Yea the new context makes that whole thing look even shittier

this is the soundtrack of the Student Athlete twitter account

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Spacebump posted:

edit:
I wonder if Cuban realizes he has killed his political chances in the future. What a disappointing/terrible story for the Mavs organization.

i have some bad news for you about what it takes to kill one's political chances.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
cam payne is B A C K

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

The ol Obvious-Look No-Look Pass

• Locked thread