Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

dokmo posted:

Trey Lyles is the most improved player in the NBA. I didn't see that coming.

I did :cool:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

dokmo posted:

Trivia: which team has committed the most goaltendings? and which team has been goaltended the most times?

Larry Nance seems to get one at least once a week but I'm not sure if this is enough to make the Lakers #1.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Given how much weight he's lost in that picture maybe he needs some sort of treatment that can only be found in San Francisco. Good onthe Warriors for giving him that opportunity.

E: I see how this could be read as another type of joke than the one I'm making so let me be clear I'm talking about Lebron getting a rare form of cancer, no other disease.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

euphronius posted:

I hope Hayward comes back too for excellent cap shenanigans

He was great when Phoenix let him play so I expect it to continue.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Space Camp fuckup posted:

He put up good numbers but the Suns lost almost every single game that he played. 3-17 vs 10-7 when he didn't. He was horrible on defense. I haven't watched him enough to know if that's the norm or if he just didn't care here.

Either way the Celtics obviously have a better roster and coaching so I'm sure it'll work out.

He definitely is a bad defender. I don't think the Suns losing is any single player's fault on that team.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
E: wrong thread

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I feel like the Hawks are the most Eagles-like as long as you ignore the almost opposite fan bases.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
The fact that the mainstream sources say that the Lakers are turning down offers for first round picks for Clarkson and Randle is interesting, but I guess the caveat is the teams making the offers are over the cap and want to send non-expiring salary back. That sort of kills reliable-but-obscure Clutchfans poster's claim that they have a Marc Gasol deal in place if they can just get their hands on a first.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Stanley Johnson going to the Spurs and learning to shoot would be pretty cool.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Lou Williams would be so angry if he had to start dealing with a bunch of young knuckleheads again in Philadelphia (dude hates young players so much, even with the Clippers he's still blowing up at his young guys but for the most part the Clippers young dudes are fringe NBA players that no one cares if Lou yells at them). But he would still play well and be great for the team.

morestuff posted:

Apparently Charlotte is thinking of hiring Mitch Kupchak as their new GM. I have zero idea how good he'd be since the Lakers and Hornets jobs are basically polar opposites

Well Michael Jordan seems to be pretty willing to spend if someone can get him something to spend on. You're right that he's not going to have the same leverage though there.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

morestuff posted:

The most important skills for a Charlotte GM right now (and in general) are unloading bad contracts and drafting in the 8-12 range, where Mitch doesn't have much of a track record. Definitely better than Buzz Peterson, though

He doesn't have a track record of drafting guys in the 8-12 range but the Lakers have pretty regularly drafted players better than a lot 8-12 players at 20-50. Now there are other guys within the organization that you can credit for that scouting, but also he did put that team of guys together which is something to be hopeful about I guess.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Sitting volleyball. . . that sounds like a sport for me.

The Glumslinger posted:

Screw It — Let’s Debate Some Hypothetical LeBron Trades

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/screw-it-lets-debate-some-hypothetical-lebron-trades/

This is a fun article that doesn't take itself too seriously

I like this.

The reasons people hate Nate Silver are all valid but his articles that are just text logs between him and his staff are generally fun.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Papercut posted:

LMAO at how short-sighted and ahistorical this take is.

*still Rivals posting about a team whose last important game against Blazers happened almost 17 years ago* THE LAKERS FANS ARE TO BLAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

---

Also E.O., I survived Dwight, I know you can as well.

---

Yeah the Suns seem to really love Chriss so shopping him seems pointless since they are not trying to contend any time soon.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I think part of the reason people ship Lebron and the Lakers is they know Lebron can bully the Lakers into getting rid of all their young players.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Brolander posted:

This gives me hope (also hope things are going ok with you in general)

They are going okay, really dull and bland which works for a while anyway.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I like Hart/Kuzma but I do wonder if the Lakers might have been better off having just one of them and keeping Lou. I mean he was never going to run the offense and going to always bully the youngest players on the team but it would've been a lot more stable bench production instead of "well sometimes they get bench production."

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Tae posted:

Blake Griffin was traded recently, you short spanned millennials

Just because you're a generation Y A.I. doesn't mean you get to bully your elders.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Do you want Avery Bradley or Chimezie Metu
I dunno

I liked Metu a lot last year, haven't had a chance to watch him yet this year.

I dunno the Spurs are good enough at finding second round talent though (I mean Trier is going to fall to the second probably, he'd be a good Spur), and like Dejan said, if Kawhi is done this might save the season a bit.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I think it's a win-win trade.

Clarkson is undeniably talented, definitely one of the best Lakers talent-wise overall, but never has been fully cured of Byron Scott disease (and just in general didn't buy in to the offense), and he's not playing defense on a Lakers team that actually seems to play defense once in a while this season, so his role with the team had slipped, and in fact he almost disappeared completely until Lonzo got hurt. The Cavs actually need someone who can hop into some ISOs when Lebron is off the floor, and while he's not a great three point shooter, he's good enough and will get much better looks on passes from Lebron than passes from Tyler Ennis. He also can be a good point guard, although he seems to hate t o play point guard now, but maybe being with Lebron will reinvigorate that.

Losing Nance hurts a lot, he's one of my favorite Lakers. But also he was the odd man out most nights between Kuzma and Randle and small ball lineups. I'm excited to see what he can do on a playoff team.

If IT sucks, he sucks, he's a free agent. If he's good, he could actually make the Laker offense work more regularly (it's been working lately but the Lakers have also been shooting way better than usual which is probably a fluke).

Chandler Frye is a cool dude, but probably won't actually play a ton.

The pick is nice. Lakers definitely need it.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

The funny thing is I was driving back to work and realized I posted that extremely silly thing and had some empathy for our Gen Y A.I. friend.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

I honestly don't know how I feel about it. I am kind of tired of rolling the dice on if it will be one of Ennis's two good games a month and even as bad as Thomas has been this season he historically is a lot more consistent. Not being able to get anything out of Ennis means Ingram plays point and he just doesn't call his own number enough when he's at point.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

CRISPYBABY posted:

Dumb question -- What's the difference between a player being 'released' and being 'bought out'?

Bought out meant they came to terms mutually ending the contract.

Released usually means the player was waived, although some contracts have ways to be terminated somehow without hitting waivers, but this is rare.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
If you ask very little of Wright he can give you something.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
IT's agent spent YEARS while he was in Sacramento and Phoenix leaking fake trades to the Lakers, and fake offer sheets that were going to be signed by the Lakers even though they didn't have the money to do it, him being upset about him finally going there is funny.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Devvin Harris is good for the Nuggets. Mudiay has been better this year, although still not good, but maybe a long leash in NY will help.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Trade Faried to Team USA so the new hosed up Olympic qualifying rules that are FIBA cutting off their nose to smite their face won't matter as he singlehandedly rolls over all of Europe again.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

That's a bummer.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

AggressivelyStupid posted:

im not so sure tbh, Channing is a real good shooter who does something no one else on the cavs can do

put his arms straight up in the paint

Brook is a better shooter. Extremely bad rebounder. Once was considered the worst defender in the NBA, but he's gotten better through effort, but, is still pretty bad most days (some days he's been good though)

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Trading for Payton is extremely Suns.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Brolander posted:

All the suns should grow elfrid hair and match

Would love to see Dragan Bender with this hair.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
The only bad thing about these giant rosters now is that we probably won't have any crazy 8 player games tonight (or again).

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

The Glumslinger posted:

https://twitter.com/ramonashelburne/status/961724946882838528

I'm actually happy about this since he and Randle compliment eachother very well

The buyout stuff did seem a little off to me since I mean he seemed happy to me the past couple of weeks. Of course I guess it helps that the team is winning.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

dokmo posted:

Yeah but its a weird half measure. If they're planning on lebron staying, they should have used the nets pick for players that moved the needle in a win now move, and if they're thinking hes gone they should have kept the pick.

You're right but (and I guess you'd know more than me) was there really a player people were willing to part with that moved the needle? Doesn't seem like it just thinking about what teams seem to be doing.

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

There's a lot of complaining on the internet today about the TNT broadcast of the Celtics-Wizards last night. Was Marv really that bad?

lol heres an open letter I came across on reddit

Every Chris Webber broadcast.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Most annoying thing to me in the past 24 hours: Media members whining about the "every player is going to go to LA" who were actively the ones promoting that narrative as recently as three weeks ago.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Quizzlefish posted:

Yes. Two all stars is a lot for that performance but they are a good team. They aren't many games away from a much higher seed..

Over half the teams in the league make the playoffs, and it's split up by conference so there have been years where like the 18th best team in the league have made the playoffs. If your standard for good is "mediocre" well, I mean I guess that's fine, everyone has different standards.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Cleveland asked Rose to do the things he's bad at. I actually think Scott Brooks is pretty good at avoiding that. Even with that said I think there are some pretty good guards in the G-league this year that I'd take a look at first.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

BallisticClipboard posted:

I've been thinking about the movement of players when their contract is up. Someone posted on Twitter when IT got traded that players are just pieces to the FO and we shouldn't be mad when a player makes a choice. I can't think of a time where a good player signs with another team and doesn't take heat. I was mostly thinking of KD and LeBron. What if KD wasn't a corny motherfucker talking about "the hard road"? What if he straight up said, "I want a ring and the Warriors are the best place to do that"? What if LeBron never did the Decision and quietly moved to Miami? I think there'd still be heat but the Heat were the villains of the team until their final year.

You are right that we shouldn't be mad when players make a choice. Or at least by "we" I mean the collective, non-affiliated NBA fan.

I understand why a fan of a team would be mad at a player on their team chose to go somewhere else. Not only has a fan emotionally invested in a player, but in many cases players have told them things like "oh I'll never leave" etc etc, which may not be very realistic statements, but definitely cause people to get emotionally invested. It's absolutely understandable for scorned people to be angry.

I also get why people are angry at the decision, even if I think that anger is people catching the case of The Olds. Lebron did that whole thing in a very audacious manner. It definitely made me a angry for a while. But the honest answer for me is that along with The Olds, that anger was really pushed by an underlying bit of jealousy.

Which is really the motivation of such anger and why I understand it but think it's lame and something that should be worked past. Most of the time people are jealous/envious that KD didn't choose their team or that he chose a team they didn't like. So that's why even though logically everyone should be behind player freedom of choice, it's really hard to overcome that for some.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

tarbrush posted:

You should be made to watch endless Derek-Fisher-in-the-postseason-for-the-Thunder videos for suggesting this.

You should be made to look at the Thunder roster during that post season, and the advanced statistics, and have to then acknowledge that Derek Fisher was actually their second best player during that postseason, which, he was.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Ghost Dog posted:

what did cleveland ask rose to do that hes not good at(besides play basketball i guess)

Jumpers away from the rim, involvement off the ball, and tracking where players are if they're moving around. Rose is still decent at driving to the rim and kicking to players if he knows where they probably are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Ghost Dog posted:

the cavs dont run a motion offense, i thought off the ball stuff was a made up reddit troll, and he shot the most shots in his career (41% vs a career average of 32% of his attempts) within 3 ft? none of that is true, basically.
You are right, I was just generally listing the things that Rose is bad at rather than what the Cavs were asking him to do. I guess my point is that I just think the Cavs need players that can do a bit more of what he couldn't do at all. E: or really I just wanted to defend Derek Rose a bit because I thought he was still okay in New York last year and would rather just blame the Cavs.

Rick fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Feb 10, 2018

• Locked thread