Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«3 »
  • Locked thread
IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

you're a flower. you're also a rainbow and a river. you are the manifestation of all perfection and i want to i don't fucking know, but you are fucking perfect

Lockback posted:

So I am not defending the Butler trade, but if you like Lauri you had to give up the first round pick. Stepian rule was in place for the Wolves because this year's pick could go to Atlanta and you can't give up 2 years of draft picks in a row. Minnesota has OKCs protected right now, but that doesn't get them out of the Stepian rule and they didn't make the deal for that pick until after the draft.

So the Bulls couldn't make that deal unless they gave MN a 2017 pick right there and then.

It was a draft day trade so the Stepian rule didn't matter, since they were just trading the rights to Lauri after drafting him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

you're a flower. you're also a rainbow and a river. you are the manifestation of all perfection and i want to i don't fucking know, but you are fucking perfect

Ghost Dog posted:

lmao some hall monitor rear end poo poo

Should've been a ban imo

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Cool Buff Man posted:

I had to sit and look at nothing for literal HOURS today

But enough about the forums going down.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Kibner posted:

Oh, apparently Malcolm Brogdon suffered a serious non-contact injury a few minutes ago. Bucks people appear to be really worried.

It was really weird he went up for a dunk and looked like he blew a spring or something and when he landed he slowly tested his leg out before deciding to go to the floor. Sounded like he said he heard a pop when he jumped.

I wasn't paying close attention to the game but I think they said quad injury at some point later in the broadcast.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Dexo posted:

That MVP and the year after he was shooting fairly respectable from 3, and had been getting better.

He shot 33.2% and 31.2% in those years, respectively.

I suppose "he was getting better" is accurate though since the years before that were 26.7 and 22.2

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Lockback posted:

During that time 35% was generally considered the line for "good shooter" so 31-33 would be considered respectable.

I'm not sure I agree with this. For me the line for being considered a good 3 point shooter is entirely mathematical and not graded on a curve. Just because nearly the entire league wasn't good at three point shooting doesn't suddenly make a bad shooter respectable. Does your three point shooting help your team? I don't think his did, so I don't think he was respectable.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Lockback posted:

He was like the only reliable offensive player on a 60+ win team so I am fairly confident nearly everything he did on offense was helping. The team went from the 5th best offense in the league to the 23rd when he got hurt, and 28th the year after that. And don't you dare disparage NateRob.

This "Derrick Rose Was Actually Never Good" narrative is truly the dumbest thing. From an advanced stats perspective his impact on the team was huge, and trying to frame his 3pt shooting in today's context to say he wasn't helping his team is really stretching the data to try to fit a narrative.

Derrick Rose was good at lots of things but three point shooting was not one of them. It's not a coincidence that he suddenly became a much more efficient player last year (without a significant usage drop, either) when he stopped shooting threes. Hell, I was even saying this offseason that I wouldn't mind him as a 6th man type guy to just come volume score off the bench if he was willing to accept that role.

Dejan Bimble posted:

If ESPN wasn't a bunch of cheapskates we could still get the gravity stat, all you need is to be thought of as a shooter and it doesn't matter what your % is. Obviously this only has a half life of a certain length. But players who develop 3's can make them at like 39% for a season and generate no gravity because nobody thinks of them as a shooter. Perception affects reality . Ball

This is a good point though.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Also good: KAT

https://twitter.com/SportsCenter/st...259620467531777

Bonus N/V: Before the game I saw a stat that said the Wolves were 4-4 in games where he has 9 FGA or less and 28-18 (now 29-18) in games where he had 10 FGA or more. I call this "The Wiggins Effect."

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Tae posted:

I think it's kinda ridiculous that there's even that many games that KAT shot less than 10 shots. He's one of the best offensive players in the game, and at worst the 2nd best player on the team.

Here's a link to the games if you're curious.

Wiggins isn't really shooting terribly in most of those games, even though he's chucking in most of them. One of them is the "Jeff Teague what are you doing" game and two are games against the Pels where KAT can't stay on the floor because of fouls.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

EvanTH posted:

who wants Dunn Round II

I'm not sure Shabazz could be any less like Kris Dunn

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

Do people who are 7 feet tall have to eat more calories?

Probably. Also professional athletes eat like 3x the normal amount of calories because of how much energy they burn (Thibs starters eat 4x).

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Jimmy Butler bought a field level suite for the game last night and invited the team

https://twitter.com/DWolfsonKSTP/st...319931236589568

(Butler being the one to buy it is mentioned in the replies)

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

The Glumslinger posted:

Its a bad insult

Real bad

It is also unfortunately for the Raptors probably accurate

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

I'm glad Aaron Gordon is never going to win a dunk contest

Here's a neat article on what the 2016 FA explosion is doing to the current and near future FA market http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...l-crunch-coming

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

pubic works project posted:

Hi friends. Football season is over so now I can focus all my attention on how cool and good Victor Oladipo is and how Lance makes me dance.

If you're a Pacers fan I assume that means you live in Indiana, in which case wasn't football season over for you almost six months ago?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Redgrendel2001 posted:

Also, I'm glad that we've ushered in the apocalypse.

That was the Cubs like two years ago

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Bip Roberts posted:

Also wouldn't the trade have to involve Thomas?

Why? Cavs have plenty of guys making 10-ish million dollars and a few around 1.5 mil so salary matching is easy.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

https://twitter.com/Timberwolves/st...957757863157760

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Dejan Bimble posted:

His son was eaten by a massive feral coyote in Montana. It's really sad and I'm proud he keeps working

Wait what

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

https://streamable.com/tlnws

Why are the players so mean to us

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Once Love comes back (and I think a lot of people are forgetting that he's hurt and not playing) the Cavs will be a bit better than they are now but yeah IT is completely tanking the team it's incredible.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I know he's a huge locker room cancer, but wouldn't that be a significant upgrade, defensively, even at 33?

Maybe Dwight's Cancer will offset IT's Cancer like how all the diseases in Mr. Burns' body couldn't get through the door of his immune system.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Noctone posted:

I donít, dude is playing like rear end and is a locker room cancer. No one to blame but himself.

Yeah, I would feel bad for him because injury sympathy and whatever but the dude is just being a total cock about the whole thing so I don't really care about him losing money because he can't keep his dumb mouth shut

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Wolves almost survived a LeBron dad dick game I'm taking a moral win on this one

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

zoux posted:

Sorry gotta lay the on ya

I was just about to look for this, thanks.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

It was even funnier in video form, I think someone posted it last night if you want to look for it.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

If Rose starts taking minutes from Tyus I'm gonna have to Kerrigan him

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

I'm sure Atlanta or Chicago would love to have him

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Space Camp fuckup posted:

Now the Suns have two guys on the roster whose hair gets in the way of their shooting motion

using this as an excuse to repost this

https://streamable.com/o7xt2

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

pubic works project posted:

https://twitter.com/JaredWeissNBA/s...710308535554049

This punk rear end bitch is throwing some shade on my friend Boris.

That's very nice of him considering Boris is probably overheating from exerting himself

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Lockback posted:

*Grizzled vet voice*
Where were you when Gendo was raining down doughnut photoshops and no one knew the value of a big shooting 3s

probation because I kept reporting his posts

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

https://streamable.com/9npiz

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

zoux posted:

I know it's funny but does anyone else feel kind of bad for IT? I mean going from MVP candidate to people debating if you're washed in less than a year? He seems like a nice enough guy.

I did until he started running his mouth, but he's apparently the type of person that blames everyone but themselves for problems so I have no sympathy.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Go team Bjelli-nelli

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

At least spell LaVine properly you simpleton

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

This is dumb but fun: http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/st...a-all-star-team

I couldn't quite go full gimmick here but I came close.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Actual News

https://twitter.com/Twolves_PR/stat...087950828527616

!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Lockback posted:

It's not called in pickup, but if you play rec league with refs in my experience they freaking love calling it. Won't call getting your arm hammered in the post or some group of guys trying to run the full-court press by constantly reaching in, but god forbid you are already moving outside of the paint when their internal clocks hit 3.0000001 seconds.

Maybe this is what lead to the rise of the stretch 4 (and 5 in some cases), kids got tired of the refs and decided they'd just never go in the paint to start.

This refs vs players thing must go much deeper than we thought.

• Locked thread
«3 »