Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Roth
Jul 9, 2016

The month of Valentine's Day, which means are officially designated topic of the chat thread is about romance in comics.

Tell me about your favorite romances, good or bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Roth posted:

The month of Valentine's Day, which means are officially designated topic of the chat thread is about romance in comics.

My favorite romance is mine. I am getting married in 23 days.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Spider-Man and Gwen or MJ. I love them both.

I read Spidey to my son over the past week or so and I like that they used Gwen, but I also adore the MJ spider books. Just so cute and innocent and wonderful.

Romances I hate: Spider-Man and Betty. One of my favourite pages of comics is when peter goes for coffee wih betty and realizes that it was just puppy love and they never really had a connection.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Rhyno posted:

My favorite romance is mine. I am getting married in 23 days.

Gross!

You're getting the ultimate coootie infection.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I recently read an incredibly adorable manga called Kase-san and the Morning Glories

Angela rescuing Sera in Queen of Hel was cool and good

Just read The Infinite Loop last night and that had lots of good smooches

site fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Feb 1, 2018

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Ooooh we're talking about romances we hate?

Superman and Wonder Woman. The worst.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Congratulations Rhyno!

In the spirit of the old Romance in Comics thread I'm going to give a shoutout to the original storyline of Madam Masque and Iron Man.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Rhyno posted:

Ooooh we're talking about romances we hate?

Superman and Wonder Woman. The worst.
See, this right here is why we are bros.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Spider woman and porcupine guy is a match made in heaven

This new Tom Taylor version of bats/Catwoman obv

Hellcat had a cute gay couple

Lumberjanes has Molly and mal

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

site posted:

Spider woman and porcupine guy is a match made in heaven

I love that one.

CapnAndy posted:

See, this right here is why we are bros.

Yep.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
I loved the recent Bats/Selena & Supes/Lois date issues. I think Supes & Lois is my favorite comic romance.

I also have a soft spot for Reed & Sue because of the wedding annual. That's one of my favorite comics of all time.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
For some reason everytime I read Spider-Man: Blue the room gets really dusty and someone starts cutting onions right in front of me.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Lois and Clark sitting chastely in the swan boat while Bruce and Selina are making out like teenagers at prom cracked me up too. I love both of those couples. Crazy kids.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Skwirl posted:

For some reason everytime I read Spider-Man: Blue the room gets really dusty and someone starts cutting onions right in front of me.

You cry about Jeph Loeb being allowed to write comics? Me too man

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Titania and...Absorbing man : (((( :cry:

D-man and his bf are cute too but tbh i dont even know what the bfs name is or if he even has one??

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

purple death ray posted:

Lois and Clark sitting chastely in the swan boat while Bruce and Selina are making out like teenagers at prom cracked me up too. I love both of those couples. Crazy kids.
It wasn't chaste, they were relaxed and cuddling with Lois' head on Clark's shoulder. I also cracked up at it, it was just such a perfect representation of "this couple has been happily married for nearly 15 years" vs. "this couple just got engaged a week ago".

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Skwirl posted:

Same. I love the ending of that book. The rest of it has some issues but the ending is perfect.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
That one time it was implied Wolverine hosed Squirrel-Girl. Also throwing in this since I didn't know where else to link it:
https://local.theonion.com/man-prefers-comic-books-that-don-t-insert-politics-into-1822632404

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Roth posted:

Pretty hard to beat Samidare and Yuuhi from Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I'm genuinely surprised this isn't a volleyball page

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

site posted:

Now it's about some dude ready to spike a volleyball so hard it shatters the Earth, while a guy looks on in eager anticipation.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

site posted:

There is no romance in Haikyuu. It's implied that the captain of the girl's team has a crush on the captain of the boy's team, but they don't let that get in the way of the volleyball

Roth posted:

Now it's about some dude ready to spike a volleyball so hard it shatters the Earth, while a guy looks on in eager anticipation.

Samidare is a girl.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I don't particularly are if it's manga, I'm always fond of Fullmetal Alchemist's romance.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I'm not part of the sa anti anime brigade by any means but man there's got to be a better way to fit long English words in Japanese style vertical word balloons.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I think that's a fan translation

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

purple death ray posted:

I'm not part of the sa anti anime brigade by any means but man there's got to be a better way to fit long English words in Japanese style vertical word balloons.

Ideally they'd have access to the art pre-balloon and resize appropriately. More annoying is the balloons that are significantly larger than they need to be.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Roth posted:

I think that's a fan translation

Bad fonts and giant balloons are always fanslations

Also if they use honorifics it's probably that too

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I've seen a few fan translations where they just type it in without regard for fitting it inside but put a thick white outline around the text so the words that go outside the balloon still pop from the background, but I don't know how common that is.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Those scans just make it seem like Ed's being really, really sarcastic. And what the gently caress is that reaction shot at the end?

Also fun fact, one of my cousins named his daughter Winry Rose.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

We should be celebrating Black Panther this month instead of weird writer fan-fic couples :(.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

RevKrule posted:

We should be celebrating Black Panther this month instead of weird writer fan-fic couples :(.

Good excuse as any to repost this amazing memo.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
February is also lgbt history month so i give all of you license to post your queer romance favs (oh dang thats only for the uk, dang you twitter for uk comics twitter for talking about it and tripping me up :argh: )

site fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Feb 1, 2018

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

RevKrule posted:

That really should be in the thread title.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Im curious though what couples in fiction would not fall under this "writer fanfic" rule if these are all written by the actual authors

Is romance not allowed in fiction at all

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
But Clark and Lois is my fave (and Bendis better not be loving with that when he takes over the Superman books)

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Gaz-L posted:

But Clark and Lois is my fave (and Bendis better not be loving with that when he takes over the Superman books)

A mysterious new reporter named Cathy "Cat" Joy will appear and threaten their marriage

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
I too am sad that the only route of discussion in this thread has been locked forever into romance. Alas, that we could talk about multiple things at once, but it is impossible.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Here, we did black history month last year dig something good up, and until the movie comes out well i can only say im hype so many times

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3808360&pagenumber=1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

• Locked thread