Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«84 »
Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

We're bringing her home.

Grimey Drawer

##vote Gene

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

votefinder
Jul 6, 2010

[quote="votefinder"]##vote votefinder[/quote

Votecount for Day 6

GeneX (5): Bifauxnen, Asphyxious, Natural 20, IllegallySober, Asiina
Asiina (3): Your Personal Muse, GeneX, Truth Quark, Anomalous Amalgam, Truth Quark, Anomalous Amalgam, Truth Quark
Mithross (0): Asphyxious, Asphyxious, Asphyxious, Natural 20, Anomalous Amalgam, Anomalous Amalgam, Natural 20, Asphyxious
Anomalous Amalgam (0): Asphyxious, Bifauxnen, Asphyxious, Bifauxnen, Bifauxnen, Natural 20, Bifauxnen, Natural 20
Asphyxious (0): Anomalous Amalgam, Anomalous Amalgam

Not Voting (3): Anomalous Amalgam, Juchero, Mithross

With 11 alive, it's 6 votes to execute. The current deadline is February 19th, 2018 at 11:30 p.m. EST -- that's in about 1 hour, 46 minutes.

The mini game today will be a card game.

Everyone will receive two cards from a standard 52 card deck. One card will be visible, while one is private. You may trade your visible card with anyone else in the thread, by using the action ##trade. Both parties must agree to the trade in order for it to take place. Once the day ends, the cards held will be locked into place. Whomever gets closest to 22 without going over will win. Jacks are 11, Queen 12, King 13, Aces 1 or 14. In the event of a tie, a tiebreaker will be done privately by the mod

GeneX
Sep 29, 2014

ahhh
Awful Games Done Quick 2018 Survivor

Bifauxnen posted:

even I think youre being way too melodramatic

Here's the deal:
I'm annoyed because I've played well, I'm being lynched because of the presumption that I haven't, and that's just kinda poo poo.

##vote GeneX

See y'all on the other side.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

You turn the corner and see a greenskinned fuckmidget.
Roll for initiative.

GeneX posted:

Here's the deal:
I'm annoyed because I've played well, I'm being lynched because of the presumption that I haven't, and that's just kinda poo poo.

##vote GeneX

See y'all on the other side.

Votecount for Day 6

GeneX (6): Bifauxnen, Asphyxious, Natural 20, IllegallySober, Asiina, GeneX
Asiina (2): Your Personal Muse, GeneX, Truth Quark, Anomalous Amalgam, Truth Quark, Anomalous Amalgam, Truth Quark, GeneX
Mithross (0): Asphyxious, Asphyxious, Asphyxious, Natural 20, Anomalous Amalgam, Anomalous Amalgam, Natural 20, Asphyxious
Anomalous Amalgam (0): Asphyxious, Bifauxnen, Asphyxious, Bifauxnen, Bifauxnen, Natural 20, Bifauxnen, Natural 20
Asphyxious (0): Anomalous Amalgam, Anomalous Amalgam

Not Voting (3): Anomalous Amalgam, Juchero, Mithross

With 11 alive, it's 6 votes to execute. The current deadline is February 19th, 2018 at 11:30 p.m. EST -- that's in about 1 hour, 37 minutes.

The mini game today will be a card game.

Everyone will receive two cards from a standard 52 card deck. One card will be visible, while one is private. You may trade your visible card with anyone else in the thread, by using the action ##trade. Both parties must agree to the trade in order for it to take place. Once the day ends, the cards held will be locked into place. Whomever gets closest to 22 without going over will win. Jacks are 11, Queen 12, King 13, Aces 1 or 14. In the event of a tie, a tiebreaker will be done privately by the mod

Your Personal Muse
Oct 5, 2010

12 Large Brother

KB was mad about that too

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

Roll for initiative.

Twilight till people respond to me about materia.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

We're bringing her home.

Grimey Drawer

where LP?

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

Why won't he die?

I may be dead, but flerp flipped first

IllegallySober
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

CapitalistPig posted:

Twilight till people respond to me about materia.

And then LP until tomorrow, right? Open nights?

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

Roll for initiative.

IllegallySober posted:

And then LP until tomorrow, right? Open nights?

yah

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

"Whoa! Who's more embarrassed, you or me? Clue: It's you."

After a little bit of driving we find a tiny village..

Which turns out to be Nibelheim! Iím pretty amped about this because one of the FEW facts I know about FF7 is ďyou get Vincent in the basement of Shinra mansionĒ. The place looks pretty different after the fire, a lot more white and stony.

Itís also filled with Sephiroths weird lumpy fan club. On top of that, everyone gets SUPER pissed if you mention the fire, and Cloud and Tifa spend the whole time calling everyone liars. Itís pretty fun actually and now Iím invested in whatever the gently caress actually happened 5 years ago.

Okay this is already more complex than I thought it would be! I thought I just had to wander down there but apparently heís behind a locked door, the keyís in a safe, and the combination is hidden around the mansion. Sounds fun.

Aww yiss.

Aww yiss.

gently caress.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

Roll for initiative.

All winners have their materia.

Genex - Reno - Turks Aligned Jailer had the plate dropped on him on day 6

You are Reno

http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Reno

You are a Turks aligned Jailer and win when the turks control the vote.

The Counter Materia, and The Mime Materia fade out of existence.

It is now Night 6!

Get actions in before 11:30PM Eastern tomorrow.

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

I thought at this point that by meeting Sephiroth Iíd missed out on unlocking Vincent as this game seems big on shutting off areas/having to grab items on the first pass. But Iím not savescumming and just kinda letting things fall as they are, so I just pressed on.

Sephiroth talks about the great Reunion and (I think) the restoration of Jenova. He also refers to Jenova as coming ďfrom the skyĒ, which Cloud helpfully points out means sheís probably not one of the Cetra. Not sarcastic, I wouldnít have worked that out.

I really wish Iíd got a screenshot of what happens next, because after deeming me unworthy he ditches a materia at me then pops up into the air like a harrier jet and just nyooooooooom flies off. Everything else about this sequence has had so much mystery and atmosphere, but Sephiroth kind of ruins it here by going 100% goofy.

The mansion is not however destroyed from this encounter so I assume I can still probably unlock Vincent and go back to clue hunting.

So hereís thing. Doing the safe puzzle on the phone took 45 minutes. Tapping the D-pad would jump from anywhere between 1-3 numbers each way, and the whole thing became as much about luck as anything else. At the time I was like ďthis is the most frustrating thing to happen in this gameĒ but that has since been superseded twice.

So we open the safe (eventually) and this thing pops out:

Which Cait Sith basically then one-shots with his limit break, confirming his status as the best character ever.

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

Following Sephiroth to Mt Nibel gets us at a pipe puzzle (naturally) where I jump down one of the pipes straight away (of course) and find myself stuck at the bottom (wonderful)

ALWAYS a good sign when you can see the monster on the field map. Here goes!

beavis and butthead laughing intensifies

Very straightforward boss fight, but hereís one of the big reveals of the game for me; Vincent being the ďspooky gun badassĒ I figured his limit break would be basically like Irvineís from FF8 but maybe a bit more ďDevil May CryĒ-esque? Instead:

This is Amazing they managed to encapsulate all of FF7ís batshit tonal insanity into one character. Iím hoping this gets even vaguely explained at some point, but I was not prepared for ďoh yeah heís also a monster nowĒ. Great stuff.

GeneX
Sep 29, 2014

ahhh
Awful Games Done Quick 2018 Survivor

I highly, highly suggest that you look up The Dark Id's LP of Dirge of Cerberus whenever you finish this playthrough. It's all about your wonderful moody pal.

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

So we pop out on the world map again, and Iím like ďhang on, didnít Sephiroth say to meet him on/near the mountain? Have I hosed up?Ē but figured Iíd have a poke around anyway.

So we end up here, Rocket Town! Thereís a nice shop that lets me upgrade all my gear, but also!

A rocket to climb! But also!

Nope thatís it, climb the rocket, climb back down the rocket, literally gently caress all else to do. The NPCs say thereís nothing to do there and they havenít seen Sephiroth at all. Guess Iím not meant to be here yet.

Well that was a big fat waste of time.

Clearly Iím meant to be back here, at Mt. Nibel...

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

Join me, on a journey of discovery!

This place was of pretty huge significance, surely this is where Iím meant to be!

*clicks on or around the materia eleventy billion times*

No? Okay, well then clearly Iíll confront Sephiroth HERE:

Really?! This seems like the most obvious place! Where the gently caress am I even meant to be?

Iím stuck in one handful of locations because I canít get back to the pipes, so instead I go:

- halfway up Mt. Nibel
- into a bunch of dead ends
- some caves
- jumping off some ledges into more dead ends that just make me have to backtrack even further

Then I notice this:

This tiiiiiiny door then leads back to the pipes! And I can use the pipes to obviously get to a new place!! FINALLY!!

.... except they donít. So... wait, does that mean Iím meant to be...

Rocket Towwwwwwwwwwwwn!!!

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

Unleash the Elements.

I hope you're ready to meet the single best character in the whole f$%king game

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

So to move the story along you have to go into a backyard you donít even know is there and look at a plane, in a place so unconnected to the main story that none of the NPCs know what youíre talking about. What a pain in the arse. Also Cloud has a pretty dubious concept of what ďCoolĒ is.

Things I didnít know: Cid is a playable character. I thought he was an NPC in this. Well maybe if heís a cool guy heíll make it into the team!

Welp never mind. We get a flashback of how Cid was almost the first Astronaut but one, Shinra pulled funding out of space travel to invest heavily in planet killing, and two, he has the most psychotically abusive relationship with his incredibly dense engineering assistant.

Keen to know how this was received at the time, because seeing this story now and the relationship they have Iím just left thinking Christ what a pair of miserable loving arseholes and not having an ounce of sympathy for either. Sheraís willingness to just loving die for literally no reason combined with Cid being a huge turd to everyone meant I couldnít wait to get out of there.

I asked to borrow his dumb plane and he told us to get hosed.

Shinra then shows to, and Cid thinks theyíre there to restart the space programme. This guy is just there to be comically fat.

Protip: heís gonna tell you to get hosed.

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

While Cid is getting pissed off at Rufus, his fat gross idiot friend is off trying to steal the Bronco.

I eat bosses for breakfast mate, this wonít end well for you.

He keeps slapping his arse and doing these dumb wiggles, I just spent a whole day walking backwards and forwards across a mountain and this still feels more like padding.

.. then he gets hit by a truck. One of his own trucks. For no reason. I guess explanation would take away from the purity of this comedy. I think all the weird anger in the earlier scenes means Iím in just no mood for this.

A daring escape on the Bronco, but itís tail gets shot out and itís goung to crash!

Adrift in the ocean, Cid agrees to join the party to get back at Rufus, and Cloud wants to follow Sephiroth to somewhere called the Temple of the Ancients. The Bronco canít fly but it makes an alright raft, so Cloud asks which way they should go next.

Fine! I will! I pull up onto the nearest beach and take two steps forward, when-

... Yuffie steals all of our Materia and runs off, leaving us in the middle of nowhere

I feel like Rocket Town was added afterwards. It feels like itís very awkwardly shoehorned into the main questline and everything in it feels very paper thin and cynical. There is nothing in Cidís story or character that would make the cast want to spend any time with him, and the way nothing is connected to Sephiroth plus Shinra appearing out of nowhere just makes the whole thing feel very very flat. I feel like it all would have worked better had Cid been completely optional and this was another missable encounter ala Yuffie.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

We're bringing her home.

Grimey Drawer

Cid can't be optional because he is your source for all of your vehicles. Your airship will come from him eventually. I don't think that's much of a spoiler.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

We're bringing her home.

Grimey Drawer

Asphyxious posted:

he has the most psychotically abusive relationship with his incredibly dense engineering assistant.

Shera’s willingness to just loving die for literally no reason

Hot

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

Asiina posted:

Cid can't be optional because he is your source for all of your vehicles. Your airship will come from him eventually. I don't think that's much of a spoiler.

Yeah I think Cid has mentioned his airship a few times now.

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

Luckily the way Iíve been playing is very physical attack focused but holy hell am I missing my heals now.

Also it turns out Vincent is TWO monsters!

We arrive in the town of Wutai, where Yuffie is hiding with all our stuff. Confirming my worst fears, even when we get more Materia she just pops out of nowhere and pinches it.

Aha!

aHA!

Iím a huge sucker for Wutaiís design honestly. Like this whole arrangement sucks arse but itís a VERY pretty town.

Wow, this is significantly easier than I thought it was going to be! I mean it was pretty annoying but not life ruining or anything.

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

Look, Iím a fan of Yuffie (or I was) but Iím with Cloud 100% on this one. Sure, Wutai isnít famous or prosperous any more since Shinra ruined everything but thatís true for LITERALLY EVERYWHERE. Like everyone else is living in a post apocalyptic mud puddle, and theyíre not going out of their way to gently caress everyone over.

OH MY GOD SO FAKE. Nice loving try Yuffie, Iím seeing right through your poo poo. Iím pulling the RIGHT lever.

Again, this mission sucks but the setting? *kissy fingers*

Yuffie tricks us again and runs off giving a hint that itís behind something ďsteelĒ.

This turns out to be a traditional Gong which were almost universally bronze or brass but gently caress me I guess.

Once we get to the secret stash, it turns out Yuffie has been kidnapped! Bitter irony! But who could have done such a thing??

Literally the person I am least excited to see return to this game.

IllegallySober
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Asphyxious posted:

Literally the person I am least excited to see return to this game.

Lol, I remember getting to this and going "you again?!?"

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

OH! The Turks are there too!! I forgot to mention, theyíre on holiday from doing bugger all, and have no plans to engage with Cloud and co.

And Corneo also captures Elena, because of his weird Selecting fetish.

Corneo sics a dragon on us called Bapps or Brapps, I canít remember. Either way this fight is rough as guts and incredibly nervewracking all things considered. After everything thatís happened leading up to this my nerves are shot and I just want to move on with my life. I think I see why no one likes Yuffie. The obnoxious attitude is one thing, the stealing materia is another, but locking you into this mission is unforgivable.

You and me both mate.

So with his Dragon defeated, Corneo threatens to drop both women to their deaths.

The Turks come along and stop him, and I believe (hope. God I hope) kill him.

The Turks are told to bring Cloud in for Shinra, and they state again theyíre on vacation, and the team gets a pass.

Yuffie then returns the partyís materia, but in a final gently caress you jumbles it randomly among each member.

And thatís us up to date so far! This whole section has been a slog and a half and Iím not entirely sure where to go from here but Iím sure Iíll work it out. Also with how this gameís been, Iím sure thereís some fantastic adventures just around the corner!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IllegallySober
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Asphyxious posted:

And thatís us up to date so far! This whole section has been a slog and a half and Iím not entirely sure where to go from here but Iím sure Iíll work it out. Also with how this gameís been, Iím sure thereís some fantastic adventures just around the corner!

I grabbed it on iPhone and started my own re-playthrough too for old time's sake I'm like an hour in!

«84 »